• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: God of War 4 to be set in Norse Mythology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The God

Sid pointed out a possible setting during Ragnarök. Definitely makes sense for a GoW game.

In Norse mythology, Ragnarök is a series of future events, including a great battle foretold to ultimately result in the death of a number of major figures (including the gods Odin, Thor, Týr, Freyr, Heimdallr, and Loki), the occurrence of various natural disasters, and the subsequent submersion of the world in water. Afterward, the world will resurface anew and fertile, the surviving and returning gods will meet, and the world will be repopulated by two human survivors.

Big Nikus

Damn I love Norse Mythology.
I love God of War too, and yeah I can do without Kratos.

It would be so fucking cool to have a Valkyrie as the main protagonist, and have her as ruthless as Kratos.

zma1013

I wouldn't be opposed to playing Thor with his hammer but if it's just Thor being angry and killing everything, might as well just keep Kratos. Either make the new character interesting or give me the real deal king of assholes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fall Of Gods, A Norse Mythology Picture Book

rcwwn6rqqrfcy7nvnt5s.jpg

sxg682bhtgdkhbvfh81a.jpg

I mean, Halo 5 has you only have what, 3 playable levels as Master Chief? Switching or changing up popular heroes isn't that unprecedented.

Certainly not getting Shepard back in Mass Effect 4 either.
But everyone hates they in Halo 5.

Old character new pantheon is a nice mix that should please everyone.

RdN

It's obviously time to move into a new setting for the series... Norse mythology would be a good choice.

But I'd rather have a new protagonist. I feel like Kratos already gave everything he had to.

hawk2025

If Kratos is in this, I'm out. For real. The character was never super interesting to begin with, give him a rest.

The character is a vessel to see, explore, and kill cool shit.

It's an angry empty canvas.

Having a new character named Krohr does nothing for the series other than potentially losing the God of War name.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It was basically this or Egypt if they wanted to make the series few fresh again with a popular setting.

It's a good choice.

What if we play as a valkyrie?
I'd be surprised. God of War probably has the most "I absolutely do not want to play as a woman in any circumstance ever." fans I have ever seen for a game series, and Ascension wasn't an especially great seller, so I'm imagining sensitivity to any potential saws road bumps.

Maybe if they let you choose your protagonist is the only way I'm imagining that happening.

Not that shocking if true Norse is up there when it comes to recognizable mythologies that and the fact that they kinda killed off the Greek pantheon in the previous games so now the question is Kratos gonna take his talents to Scandinavia.

Also, add me to the camp that hopes we play as a Valkyrie even though it's a long shot.

karasu

lol no Kratos? Let's make Halo without MC, Metroid without Samus, Zelda without Zelda. This makes sense. XD

It could easily be done without Kratos if its focusing on a separate God of War and a new guy. Just like we're getting Mass Effect without Shepard.

BlizzKrut

Banned
If this is true, and GoW4 has a new character, I'm gonna need to buy a PS4, Bloodborne looks so good and Horizon coming up.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Damn I love Norse Mythology.
I love God of War too, and yeah I can do without Kratos.

It would be so fucking cool to have a Valkyrie as the main protagonist, and have her as ruthless as Kratos.

Judging by the nerd leaks twitter they are teasing a guy. Kratos grows a beard? Lol

@nerdleaks - It seems that "Beard" is the word. #GodofWar4

post-S

Exactly what I expected.
I thought other mythologies (except Roman and maybe Lovecraft) don't fit really well with GOW's graphical violence.

Blobbers

I bet they find the wackiest way possible to keep Kratos around. Like, he's just crawling along, wounds and all, when suddenly a portal opens and Loki, looking all majestic, utters "ah, finally found you. I have a very important job and I hear you're THE god slayer to turn to". God of War 4 will be the first in a new series of GoW games where in every game we go to a different world and fuck up different mythologies. God of War 5 will be Egypt.

ShutterMunster

The character is a vessel to see, explore, and kill cool shit.

It's an angry empty canvas.

Having a new character named Krohr does nothing for the series other than potentially losing the God of War name.

And he isn't interesting. I'm not sure what the point of your response is.

Is this book dope? I may just have to get this iOS version. Doesn't look like he's selling physical version anymore.

paolo11

Just finished GoWIII Remastered last night, probably my fifth or sixth playthrough in total, so I am super pumped for a new GoW. Norse mythos is perfect. Give me a new take on Kratos or a neewcharacter, I don't mind either.

GoWIII's ending sets up a lot of ways they could change him a bit after the release of Hope. I could see a situation where he's trying to settle down in a new land and the ghost of Athena conspires to turn the new gods against him.

That would be cool. Athena will be the new villain.

Kratos or no Kratos they need to switch the blades of chaos thing. That long ranging chains makes a lot of sense for accessibility but they have defined the combat design of the series for half a dozen games now.

Corpekata

Banned
But everyone hates they in Halo 5.

Old character new pantheon is a nice mix that should please everyone.

And they likely knew that before, but still did it because that's what they wanted to do.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of bitching about no Marcus Fenix in Gears of War 4, but they're still perfectly fine ditching a popular character for that game too.

Or like how Naughty Dog keeps saying Uncharted 4 is the end of Drake's run. I don't think that means there will be no more Uncharted, just no more Nathan Drake starring role Uncharted (provided they stick to their word).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom