• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: God of War 4 to be set in Norse Mythology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
No matter what happens and where it is set, GoW4 is going to look and feel spectacular. Can't wait.

But before it, I hope SMM/Bluepoint will release remaster of Ascension. That's the only GoW game I did not play.

Valus

Wouldn't make sense to call it GoW4 if Kratos isn't the lead. If they wanted to do a Norse style GoW with a new hero they should call it something else.

Loudninja

Kratos or no Kratos they need to switch the blades of chaos thing. That long ranging chains makes a lot of sense for accessibility but they have defined the combat design of the series for half a dozen games now.
hmm I still dont mind this but I want a great variety of weapons this time.

ArjanN

There's no good reason to drop Kratos.

The god of war working his way through time and countries opens up the whole series to so many new ideas, and lets them keep the iconic character and name.

I'd bet Kratos staying.

Now, changing up the weapons and the gameplay? That makes more sense.

Dropping Kratos in a norse mythology setting is a big stretch, even with God of War's level of playing it fast and loose with mythology. It also kind of defeats the purpose of changing the setting to begin with to have the same character with all his baggage there.

Jotun on Steam is also a pretty good Norse god murder simulator:

UAwyLHp.gif

Yu47Sr9.gif

For all the people who hate Kratos, what kind of protagonist do you want? Seems fitting that some bitter asshole is the main character in this series.

E3 is juicy.

My hype for this game will live or die based on the art and character design. Norse can look very boring and I guess generic if not done right. Still wish they went with Egyptian.

Mman235

Sid pointed out a possible setting during Ragnarök. Definitely makes sense for a GoW game.

Aren't they inevitably going for a new series of games rather than a one-off? Because I could see them building up to ragnarok; so you'd start off with (very) comparatively mundane conflicts and then build up to shit like serpents the size of earth and a wolf swallowing the sky for the final game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kratos or no Kratos they need to switch the blades of chaos thing. That long ranging chains makes a lot of sense for accessibility but they have defined the combat design of the series for half a dozen games now.
You'll get axes on ropes and you'll like it.

StoveOven

Banned
I hope they do more to change it up than just changing the setting. I don't know that I want another game in the same God of War format. I don't like Kratos, but I can live him

Nabbis

Terrible first post.
Kratos IS the God of War, if this game is still called 'God of War' then Kratos will obviously be in it.

After the original GoW, hes more of a brick than a God of anything. He has so little personality that the Angry Joe thing he has going on looks like a comedy.

Trojan

Smart move to ditch Kratos if true. The GOW franchise name has value, not the Kratos character. I'm pretty indifferent on the series now but a change in setting might pull me back in.

Ad0ve

Banned
The whole appeal of the series is the ultraviolence. Even if they change the protagonist, no way the new isn't also an angry brute killing machine

Fuck me, this would be amazing. Please be true. I think a female lead would be cool, too. A badass Lagertha-type character hunting the Gods.

Ok, now I'm hyping myself up.

I'm thinking mysterious figure offers Kratos some redemption (obviously total bullshit but whatever) in return for BEING ragnarok. Him vs all the Norse guys.

Or we play some viking or Valkyrie who teams up with him for ragnarok. Either way it's gonna get messy.

I hope we play the Norse god of war who became the god of war after killing Kratos for good.

It can be a semi retelling of God of War 1 but Krtatos in the place of Aries.

hmm I still dont mind this but I want a great variety of weapons this time.
That's the thing, all the alternate weapons always just feel kinda secondary or filler compared to The Blades. It got to the point where GoW3 they just threw their hands up and gave you 3 different chains with some gauntlets(which are my favorite of the alternates).

I know the overall style of gameplay won't change too much but I wanna see them get away from the blades because it feels like a crutch that's kinda holding the series in place.

hawk2025

And he isn't interesting. I'm not sure what the point of your response is.

Is this book dope? I may just have to get this iOS version. Doesn't look like he's selling physical version anymore.

That an interesting main character is somewhere between the 20th and 30th most important things throughout the whole series.

It doesn't matter. What matters is that it is a marketable and iconic design. They ain't dropping it unless there's a very good reason to do so.

DevilFox

I'd like a new protagonist too, but with a mindless, violent beast such as Kratos we could've this:

the-avengers-angry-hulk-smash-loki.gif

and oh boy I want it ahah
Good news anyway, Kratos or not.

TM94

I've got a really novel, bold idea for God of War that nobody's ever thought of

Hear me out...

No Kratos.

Loudninja

That's the thing, all the alternate weapons always just feel kinda secondary or filler compared to The Blades. It got to the point where GoW3 they just threw their hands up and gave you 3 different chains with some gauntlets(which are my favorite of the alternates).

I know the overall style of gameplay won't change too much but I wanna see them get away from the blades because it feels like a crutch that's kinda holding the series in place.
I see what you are saying.

People talk about God of War as a franchise like it sells like hotcakes and can never take place outside Greece. The franchise is "You fight gods". That's the franchise. They can take it whatever direction they want. They can have Kratos as an emo child fighting his personal demons and gods, and I'll be happy with it.

Bring it, Sony. As long as it's good, I will play it.

Goddess of War and you control a Valkyrie = Pure win!

That's what I've been predicting since Ascension. Coincidentally, I had a dream last night it was announced! Imagine her fighting with a cool energy spear that extends to give that blades of chaos style screen clearing ability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom