• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just imaging what Sony could do with current mobile hardware has me excited. The Vita was already capable of jaw-dropping visuals with 2010-2011 hardware, it's not farfetched to assume a new handheld could sit between the PS3 and PS4.

I'd expect something like, 2GB RAM, 120GFLOPS, ARM.

We could finally get ps3 level games on handheld hardware, and it would essentially take on NX in regards to the handheld space despite the NX being more powerful.

I think the PSVita 2's potential ports to PS4 would be very interesting to see.

TLZ

Banned
Maybe a new sony handheld is emulation device. A new device which can play Ps1, Ps2, PSP and Psvita games and has PSNOW preinstalled for emulation of whole PlayStation Family.

You can take it with you or dock it when you are at home and use ds4.

Again with these docks.....

Oregano

I'd expect something like, 2GB RAM, 120GFLOPS, ARM.

We could finally get ps3 level games on handheld hardware, and it would essentially take on NX in regards to the handheld space despite the NX being more powerful.

I think the PSVita 2's potential ports to PS4 would be very interesting to see.

If the vastly more powerful Vita got curbstomped by the 3DS then a modest specced Vita 2 would be annihilated by a more powerful NX. Sony's one key marketing point in the portable market has been enhanced power and its also the reason a lot of games were developed for PSP/Vita instead of DS/3DS.

If they were making a Vita 2 they'd have to aim higher than NX.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If the vastly more powerful Vita got curbstomped by the 3DS then a modest specced Vita 2 would be annihilated by a more powerful NX. Sony's one key marketing point in the portable market has been enhanced power and its also the reason a lot of games were developed for PSP/Vita instead of DS/3DS.

Not necessarily. Their only real reason for making this potential handheld would be to keep Japan developers on their side, as most have jumped to Vita and used PS4 as another springboard.

NX itself as it stands right now, will only find hope of real success in Japan with this form factor and focus. All Sony has to do is stay in the game to provide a buffer option so as to not allow Nintendo to monopolize those devs.

Dominator

If Sony announced another handheld... God, I don't know what I'd do. I'm not letting myself getting excited over this if nothing comes of it, but damn do I want it.

pls be real

jdstorm

Banned

Not really. Provided it had cross buy for most games people would more likely be willing to pick up a Vita3 to play all the games they have gotten from PS Plus over the years and to play the PS4 version on a Jone console with the most power

Oregano

Not necessarily. Their only real reason for making this potential handheld would be to keep Japan developers on their side, as most have jumped to Vita and used PS4 as another springboard.

NX itself as it stands right now, will only find hope of real success in Japan with this form factor and focus. All Sony has to do is stay in the game to provide a buffer option so as to not allow Nintendo to monopolize those devs.

Vita/PS4 releases were so common because Vita has a big audience in Japan and you can make a Vita game that doesn't look like crazy on PS4.

If the NX is substantially more powerful than a hypothetical Vita 2 then it's going to steal a lot of the audience and it will be easier to develop as NX/PS4 from a power perspective.

He'll if publishers could have got away with 3Ds/PS4 Vita wouldn't have got a look in at all.

Not really. Provided it had cross buy for most games people would more likely be willing to pick up a Vita3 to play all the games they have gotten from PS Plus over the years and to play the PS4 version on a Jone console with the most power

If cross buy was such a big factor Vita would have sold a lot better and a 120Gflop handheld wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to most games. Never-ending the fact Japanese customers clearly don't care about having the best graphics at home.

sphinx

the piano man
IMO both "PSVITA2" and "NX Handheld" need

.- to be an hybrid
.- play mobile games besides all the regular games
.- have form factors that put them from the get-go in the $99 price range
.- stop with generation thing as well and introduce "PS Vita 2 X" and "PS VITA DELUXE" every two years

If the NX is substantially more powerful than a hypothetical Vita 2 then it's going to steal a lot of the audience and it will be easier to develop as NX/PS4 from a power perspective.

This is some bizarro world stuff. Rumours and tech improvements aside, I think I'm still expecting a new Nintendo portable will barely match the current Vita, if we're lucky, let alone a hypothetical Vita 2!

Magusx

I was thinking lately and one of the problems with the Vita really I think is that it was too weak. Yeah it was one of strongest hardware at that time, but if it was PS3/Xbox 360 graphics and could have made easy ports with maybe added content and sell that.

Oregano

This is some bizarro world stuff. Rumours and tech improvements aside, I think I'm still expecting a new Nintendo portable will barely match the current Vita, if we're lucky, let alone a hypothetical Vita 2!

The rumour that NX is using a modern Tegra chip is a lot more plausible than the rumour this thread is based on. The Tegra X1 would make the NX a magnitude more powerful than Vita and probably at least twice as powerful as the hypothetical 120Gflop Vita 2.

crinale

Vita/PS4 releases were so common because Vita has a big audience in Japan and you can make a Vita game that doesn't look like crazy on PS4.

He'll if publishers could have got away with 3Ds/PS4 Vita wouldn't have got a look in at all.

If cross buy was such a big factor Vita would have sold a lot better and a 120Gflop handheld wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to most games. Never-ending the fact Japanese customers clearly don't care about having the best graphics at home.

Afaik this isn't happening now for various reasons. The power gap between PS3/4 and 3DS is way too broad sure is one big reason but not the only factor.

Aside from audience difference issue, Sony providing PhyreEngine for Free as long as third parties keep those games into PS ecosystem should be a big reason. The very engine helps you cross-develop games for PS platforms sure is helping too.

Another thing I've heard is that if PS4 lead games are ported to Vita Sony offers significant discount (again as long as they stay to PS ecosystem, for certain period of time at least) on royalty fee third parties must pay to Sony (however I can't remember where I read that so I may be remembering details wrong).

With Vita gone third parties will lose many reasons to develop for even PS4 and would jump ship to NX. I'm not so sure if Sony thinks it's worth money to keep them from doing so though.

Widge

I was thinking lately and one of the problems with the Vita really I think is that it was too weak. Yeah it was one of strongest hardware at that time, but if it was PS3/Xbox 360 graphics and could have made easy ports with maybe added content and sell that.

The problem was that people didn't want to play watered down versions of their console AAA games. It's understandable that Sony would put the equivalent budget of an Uncharted game in there for the Vita, plus dumping a B team on it too. The same happened across the og PSP catalogue too.

What the Vita really needed was stripping down into a bare bones gaming machine: lose the smartphone capabilities, lose the confusing and difficult to implement gyro and rear touch.

Vita has loads of unique content but it was pitched as a mini PS3, thereby mass disappointment at the raft of niche and indie games. Touting it with all the main console titles would be a mistake on anything (big if on that) future as it sets expectations.

The big struggle, and one I don't see it remedying as its benefit is also its curse, is against play at home users. If you have the same game available in your house on home console vs vita, you'll play it on vita. Much the same as if I have the same game on PC and PS3, I'll play it on PC. Those users become very vocal about the pointlessness of hardware if they can get a "better" experience elsewhere.

Popsickles

I wonder if they would gambit on something that is purely a streaming device for Remoteplay, Playstation now and Playstation video services repurposing all those old Vita screens minimal internal chips no onboard memory just sd cards for £69

Iacobellis

I wouldn't necessarily say the Vita was weak, the effort made by some developers was just abysmal. It was the first portable system I can remember where the majority of games ran at a sub-native resolution. That's usually something that sticks to console territory.

Black Ops: Declassified looked like junk, but then masterpieces like Killzone: Mercenary would make you question for a second if these games both belonged to the same platform.

Nikodemos

The problem was that people didn't want to play watered down versions of their console AAA games.
Yup. Bad market positioning, one of the (shockingly many) fundamental mistakes Sony did when first designing the Vita. Had they gone from the very beginning for dedicated handheld titles (Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Guacamelee etc.) instead of dumping fuckhueg amounts of money in crappy variants of their console franchises, they would've found an audience quicker.

Of course, this strategy runs headlong into another fundamental problem: the Vita - as designed - was far too expensive to make. Notably, the build quality was too high and the screen was too expensive as well (as proven by the fact that ver. 2000 greatly decreased build finish and replaced the screen with a cheaper LCD). They really should've taken a leaf from Nintendo's playbook and made the plastic Fisher Price quality and left the LCD in from the beginning. The high production cost was a reason why they took yet another awful decision: they split the cost between the device and its memory card (a sine qua non component).

Really, it's amazing to see how Sony made every single product creation mistake with the Vita. It's even more amazing that it didn't bomb even worse; probably a testament that, underneath all the terribad decisions, there was a solid gaming plaform.

Iacobellis

Yup. Bad market positioning, one of the (shockingly many) fundamental mistakes Sony did when first designing the Vita. Had they gone from the very beginning for dedicated handheld titles (Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Guacamelee etc.) instead of dumping fuckhueg amounts of money in crappy variants of their console franchises, they would've found an audience quicker.

Of course, this strategy runs headlong into another fundamental problem: the Vita - as designed - was far too expensive to make. Notably, the build quality was too high and the screen was too expensive as well (as proven by the fact that ver. 2000 greatly decreased build finish and replaced the screen with a cheaper LCD). They really should've taken a leaf from Nintendo's playbook and made the plastic Fisher Price quality and left the LCD in from the beginning. The high production cost was a reason why they took yet another awful decision: they split the cost between the device and its memory card (a sine qua non component).

Really, it's amazing to see how Sony made every single product creation mistake with the Vita. It's even more amazing that it didn't bomb even worse; probably a testament that, underneath all the terribad decisions, there was a solid gaming plaform.

Did the Vita (1000 model) really cost that much to manufacture though? I mean, the PSP launched at the same price of $250 and wasn't bound by expensive proprietary media. And that was released back when iPods were just getting a color LCD.

PSP had a new model come out just a year ago I believe. I don't think it's far-fetched that yet another stripped down Vita will come out.

wapplew

I'm thinking, they are making a lot of 1080p RGB OLED for PSVR, is it possible they use those for 3000?
A small boost in power to upscale vita game into full hd, also full hd remote play.

Nikodemos

Did the Vita (1000 model) really cost that much to manufacture though? I mean, the PSP launched at the same price of $250 and wasn't bound by expensive proprietary media. And that was released back when iPods were just getting a color LCD.
Apple could command a price premium for their product. Sony thought they could as well. They were wrong.

People simply didn't want to buy a $350 handheld (Vita+required memory card). Nintendo realised that and cut prices accordingly. Sony didn't. They also didn't have the inherently high draw Nintendo had (due to Pokemon, Mario etc).

Dante83

Banned
Sony should stay the hell away from handhelds. It's a lost cause. With smartphones and tabs, handhelds are no longer relevant unless you are nintendo, but even that DS is not going to keep up. Just concentrate on the consoles and improving PSN.

Any sort of update as to whether or not the PSP like device is the NX or something else entirely?
I doubt we'll hear anything else. The original post by the factory worker was so vague anyway that it could've been one of those Android handhelds for all we know.

If TGS comes and goes without a peep on this, I'd say we can safely ignore this rumor.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
What I wouldn't be entirely shocked by on the handheld front would be a handheld version of the last-gen machine. If PS3-compatible internals could run in a handheld device, with reasonably chunky SSD storage onboard for digital-only games, then that would be an appealing device with minimal requirement for support - you've already got all the big name games for it.

Branduil

What I wouldn't be entirely shocked by on the handheld front would be a handheld version of the last-gen machine. If PS3-compatible internals could run in a handheld device, with reasonably chunky SSD storage onboard for digital-only games, then that would be an appealing device with minimal requirement for support - you've already got all the big name games for it.

Would a mobile-sized cell be economically feasible to produce? I mean, it would have to be completely custom, obviously.

It would probably be a neat niche product but I can't imagine it making a big difference for anything, any more than handhelds like the Nomad did.

Nikodemos

Would a mobile-sized cell be economically feasible to produce? I mean, it would have to be completely custom, obviously.

It would probably be a neat niche product but I can't imagine it making a big difference for anything, any more than handhelds like the Nomad did.
I think the 22 nm shrink of the Cell is dead, since IBM shuttered/sold off their consumer products division. So no Cell handheld.

You wouldn't be able to run native ps3 games but should be able to port games from that era to a mobile device and have them perform at last gen levels, Windows tablets with crappy Intel graphics weren't a million miles off from that a few years ago.

Oregano

Afaik this isn't happening now for various reasons. The power gap between PS3/4 and 3DS is way too broad sure is one big reason but not the only factor.

Aside from audience difference issue, Sony providing PhyreEngine for Free as long as third parties keep those games into PS ecosystem should be a big reason. The very engine helps you cross-develop games for PS platforms sure is helping too.

Another thing I've heard is that if PS4 lead games are ported to Vita Sony offers significant discount (again as long as they stay to PS ecosystem, for certain period of time at least) on royalty fee third parties must pay to Sony (however I can't remember where I read that so I may be remembering details wrong).

With Vita gone third parties will lose many reasons to develop for even PS4 and would jump ship to NX. I'm not so sure if Sony thinks it's worth money to keep them from doing so though.

Well yeah Sony did do a lot to get the ball rolling but I'm not sure how many debs/games use Phyre engine at this point(DQ Builders did) even gust uses KT's internal engine I believe.

Publishers aren't going to abandon PS4 now. A lot of them are heavily invested in its success and have spent the last few years building an audience there. They're definitely not going to abandon it for a Nintendo system which won't have the same market penetration in international markets.

If any Vita devs jump on NX it will be in addition to their existing PS4 SKUs(and Vita for at least a while).

Branduil

You wouldn't be able to run native ps3 games but should be able to port games from that era to a mobile device and have them perform at last gen levels, Windows tablets with crappy Intel graphics weren't a million miles off from that a few years ago.

Porting is considerably more work than just running games as is, though. With the kinds of returns you could expect on a PS3 handheld I can't imagine it being remotely worth it.

20cent

Banned
A new PS handheld? After what they did with the Vita?

Still day one.

Sony should stay the hell away from handhelds. It's a lost cause. With smartphones and tabs, handhelds are no longer relevant unless you are nintendo, but even that DS is not going to keep up. Just concentrate on the consoles and improving PSN.

No thanks. I have a good PC which I haven't touched since FallOut 4 and skipped PS4/XB this generation, I'm too busy with my PSV and 3DS. I love playing on handheld consoles at home.
Smartphones games are crap. All of them. ALL. OF. THEM.

The problem was that people didn't want to play watered down versions of their console AAA games. It's understandable that Sony would put the equivalent budget of an Uncharted game in there for the Vita, plus dumping a B team on it too. The same happened across the og PSP catalogue too.

Not really - Uncharted sold at least decently for launch title. Even the low quality AC Liberation sold like 600k WW with bundles.
And PSP Gran Turismo even through it was released when machine was nearly dead still carried over 2 milions of copies.

Real Call of Duty in first year of console life with crossplay to ps3 version would have easily reach million seller status.

Much bigger problem was pricing of games - instead of embracing flexible price points enabled by digital era Sony went into traditional model with every game costing 40$.

MacTag

Banned
Given alpha kits were using an actively cooled Tegra X1, NX should be roughly a generational leap over Vita. Like 3 Wii Us duct-taped together.

For a Hypothetical Vita 2 to be more powerful it'd either need to use a higher clocked Tegra or else not be a handheld. There aren't really any other options.

Eolz

Are people seriously speculating on the specs of an imaginary platform now?

IMO both "PSVITA2" and "NX Handheld" need

.- to be an hybrid
.- play mobile games besides all the regular games
.- have form factors that put them from the get-go in the $99 price range
.- stop with generation thing as well and introduce "PS Vita 2 X" and "PS VITA DELUXE" every two years

Good luck doing that at 99$.

We really need some additional leaks... I have no idea why the conversation is so concentrated a new handheld when it seems like one of the flimsiest parts of all this.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
We really need some additional leaks... I have no idea why the conversation is so concentrated a new handheld when it seems like one of the flimsiest parts of all this.

Just guessing it is because no one saw that possibility coming and we know Neo is a thing.

Hutchie

If psp2 had digital and physical bc with vita and allowed more than one account on it the id be in day one. But after the pigs ear they made of the vita do i trust them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom