• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

crinale

Say it is a Vita refresh.

This could do a couple things around the edges that could hurt NX's chances of getting wide developer/consumer support in Japan.

By providing a short term boost in Vita sales, such a move could make PS4/PS3/Vita cross-gen look like a bigger ecosystem and there'd be less impetus to port to NX early on, which would hurt NX's potential catalog and, therefore, adoption. Similarly, if the refresh was beefed up somewhat, more games could be cross-gen between PS4 and Vita more easily, again lessening the impetus to port to NX.

I don't think a refresh could kill NX in its crib (it'd be crazy to think so; if NX is stillborn, it is a combination of Nintendo and mobile that killed it), but it could drive a modicum of support away, which is something that Nintendo really needs to stop having happen. NX is Nintendo's opportunity to corner what remains of the Japanese console development community, which in turn drives up their consumer base through more software. Every potential multi-plat from PS4/PS3/Vita crossgen that Nintendo loses out on is a blow to NX; not as big a blow as losing 3DS support to mobile, but a blow nonetheless.

Say it is a PSP3, with similar specs to NX. Unless Sony has bought off Nintendo's 3DS support and developed a new IP that can compete with Nintendo first party on handheld, this will do worse than NX against mobile in Japan. Perhaps if it has cool compatibility with PS4 and NX does really bad in the west, it'll do better than NX in the west as another NEO/VR for the consumer deep into the Sony ecosystem.

It'd also have the potential to keep some third party support from NX that NX could have otherwise received.

Ultimately though, such a device will not be a huge deal for NX, but could make the environment it launches into less than ideal. Mobile is a much bigger threat to NX. That said, what I'm saying is not relying on the hypothetical device doing well or doing better than NX. Rather, it is assuming quite the opposite, which I think is the safer assumption. It is what damage I think the device could do to NX's potential even taking into account that the NX will likely outperform it, whatever that amounts to.

Basically, I could only see Sony doing this as a move to lower the ceiling on NX as much as they can in light of the Vita's failure. It wouldn't be a move to build a handheld future for Sony, but rather to constrict the change a hybrid Nintendo could bring to the gaming market and development community, particularly in Japan.

Sony's future doesn't rely on Japanese consumer or development support, unlike Nintendo, but perhaps they would still rather not share what they do have in that country.

I pretty much agree with all points you said

Venom Fox

Banned

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What would be the point in creating a new model when the retail presence in NA is dried up? Stores are clearing out shelf space for upcoming Neo/XB1 slim/NX, not another Vita model that wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before. I'd like a new model myself, bring back the OLED( the tech has improved since the OG Vita), mini-usb, 16gb internal storage and mini-SD support( LOL.....right) but practically I can't see how or why Sony would be investing money in an improved Vita, or a 3rd portable in general. The ship left port ages ago.

They can just release it for asia. I dont really care for the american market.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If it's a revised Vita, the memory cards would have to be cheaper, the back touch would have to be eliminated, the L2/R2 buttons would have to be added and an HDMI out port would have to be added so I can connect the Vita to my HDTV and play Vita games on a full screen.

If it's a revised Vita, the memory cards would have to be cheaper, the back touch would have to be eliminated, the L2/R2 buttons would have to be added and an HDMI out port would have to be added so I can connect the Vita to my HDTV and play Vita games on a full screen.

A clickable touchpad might suffice for L2/R2, could even add pressure sensors either side.
But I'm not sure a new Vita would even hit a million sales, I don't think they'll bother.

SScorpio

Some games use the back touch so I don't see it going anywhere. Having L2/R2 button would allow a soft or hardware switch to disable it for for games that don't require the whole thing.

The Argus

Any chance Neo has an AM4 socket, so you can just drop in a new APU every three or six years?

.01% chance of this. Hell I'll bump it to 1% just for giggles. Having an upgradable system at the chip level only means higher costs, higher chance of people fucking up upgrades, and less sales of $400 consoles.

Nikodemos

[...]

Say it is a PSP3, with similar specs to NX.
[...]
Were I a decision-maker at Sony, I'd go for neither.
Vita's innards are ancient, and piss-slow nowadays. Not to mention expensive, since there's no great demand for the SGX543, nor for the Cortex-A9. Not least because the original Vita SoC was a fully custom design.
The NX is untouchable by Sony, by virtue of being a ~$250 device.

To build a new PSP, I'd go low and slow. The SD652, with 512 MB dedicated VRAM, 2 GB general RAM and a 720p LCD. No fancy AMOLED, no PowerVR G7 series. Clickable nubs (they already have the patent for them), twin shoulder buttons (if the n3DS did it, Sony certainly can as well) and a regular touchscreen. No backtouch. Vita game cards and MicroSD storage. Aim for $149, $174 at the max.
It'll be an indie and perv animu machine, with the occasional smattering of mobile games.

Sony doesn't strike me as the kind of company that would create new hardware (even if its just a Vita revision) solely to fuck over a competitor.

SScorpio

To build a new PSP, I'd go low and slow. The SD652, with 512 MB dedicated VRAM, 2 GB general RAM and a 720p LCD. No fancy AMOLED, no PowerVR G7 series. Clickable nubs (they already have the patent for them), twin shoulder buttons (if the n3DS did it, Sony certainly can as well) and a regular touchscreen. No backtouch. Vita game cards and MicroSD storage. Aim for $149, $174 at the max.
It'll be an indie and perv animu machine, with the occasional smattering of mobile games.

Mobile chips have been fine running at 1080p for a while now. If there were going to increase the resolution it should be 1920x1088 which is 4x the Vita's resolution. Just like the Vita was 4x the PSP's resolution. 720p just wouldn't sale anything well.

Nikodemos

Mobile chips have been fine running at 1080p for a while now. If there were going to increase the resolution it should be 1920x1088 which is 4x the Vita's resolution. Just like the Vita was 4x the PSP's resolution. 720p just wouldn't sale anything well.
Doesn't really matter whether or not it scales well. It's all about battery life, screen cost, and raw performance (a phone with a low res screen performs better than the same phone with a higher res screen: fewer pixels to push).

1080p chews up battery. It doesn't look that way on a phone because phones turn themselves off after 30 seconds or so. On an always on device like a game machine, battery would be gone much faster than 540/720p.

I think a Vita refresh with some extra horsepower is likely. I know Japan isn't a huge market any more, but there's a lot of developers there tied into PS4/PS3/Vita development. When NX comes along, PS3 and Vita will probably die off fairly quickly. That will drop the current ~18 million large PlayStation family down to ~5 million. Unless PS4 blows up in Japan or the current Vita gets a second wind, NX will steal a lot of developers over time.

PS4/NX will be a thing, but smaller Japanese developers will eventually shift to the system that gives them bigger sales. I suspect for a lot of them, that'll be the NX.

This could do a couple things around the edges that could hurt NX's chances of getting wide developer/consumer support in Japan.

By providing a short term boost in Vita sales, such a move could make PS4/PS3/Vita cross-gen look like a bigger ecosystem and there'd be less impetus to port to NX early on, which would hurt NX's potential catalog and, therefore, adoption. Similarly, if the refresh was beefed up somewhat, more games could be cross-gen between PS4 and Vita more easily, again lessening the impetus to port to NX.

I don't think a refresh could kill NX in its crib (it'd be crazy to think so; if NX is stillborn, it is a combination of Nintendo and mobile that killed it), but it could drive a modicum of support away, which is something that Nintendo really needs to stop having happen. NX is Nintendo's opportunity to corner what remains of the Japanese console development community, which in turn drives up their consumer base through more software. Every potential multi-plat from PS4/PS3/Vita crossgen that Nintendo loses out on is a blow to NX; not as big a blow as losing 3DS support to mobile, but a blow nonetheless.

Say it is a PSP3, with similar specs to NX. Unless Sony has bought off Nintendo's 3DS support and developed a new IP that can compete with Nintendo first party on handheld, this will do worse than NX against mobile in Japan. Perhaps if it has cool compatibility with PS4 and NX does really bad in the west, it'll do better than NX in the west as another NEO/VR for the consumer deep into the Sony ecosystem.

It'd also have the potential to keep some third party support from NX that NX could have otherwise received.

Ultimately though, such a device will not be a huge deal for NX, but could make the environment it launches into less than ideal. Mobile is a much bigger threat to NX. That said, what I'm saying is not relying on the hypothetical device doing well or doing better than NX. Rather, it is assuming quite the opposite, which I think is the safer assumption. It is what damage I think the device could do to NX's potential even taking into account that the NX will likely outperform it, whatever that amounts to.

Basically, I could only see Sony doing this as a move to lower the ceiling on NX as much as they can in light of the Vita's failure. It wouldn't be a move to build a handheld future for Sony, but rather to constrict the change a hybrid Nintendo could bring to the gaming market and development community, particularly in Japan.

Sony's future doesn't rely on Japanese consumer or development support, unlike Nintendo, but perhaps they would still rather not share what they do have in that country.

Pretty much this. It's basically a question of how much the existing Vita audience is worth to them, because if they do nothing then that audience goes to Nintendo for their portable gaming, whereas if they make a console that is, at the very least, powerful enough to accommodate ports of NX third-party games, PS3/PS4 cross-gen games, and other indie/low-to-mid-tier PS4 titles (Neptunia V2, Disgaea 5, etc.) that audience will most likely stick with them. And it's not just the royalties from the Vita games they sell they're worried about- it's about the risk of a group that trends towards more frequent game buyers in general leaving the Playstation ecosystem entirely. If you own a Vita it makes sense to get a PS4 for your home gaming because of cross-buy, cross-save, same account/wallet/friends list/trophy list, etc. If you switch to NX for all of your portable needs, on the other hand, why not also switch to XBone or PC for the rest of your gaming?

I would still put my money on this not happening because Sony judges it's not worth it. But there is a potential reason for them to go for it despite the fact that, in all likelihood, such a device would probably not even outsell the OG Vita.

khaaan

PSP3 wishes from my butt:

-Plays all currently playable Vita software (so PS1, PSP, and Vita titles)
-Compatible with PS2 titles purchased on PS4
-Has the streaming capabilities to match Wii U in a local environment
-Non proprietary memory

Unfortunately for Shia LaBeouf, my dreams will stay dreams.

AmyS

The Vita equivalent of PS4 Neo.

More powerful PowerVR 7XT GPU. Faster CPU.

5.5 inch, 720p LCD screen.

Analog L2 & R2

Remote play PS4 games in HD 720p, which of course would include Neo enhanced games if you have that console.

Sounds good to me.

PS Trinity.

Aters

Since NX is a handheld, my desire for a new PSP is not that strong. But I'm still glad Sony is not giving up if the rumor is true.

Iacobellis

The Vita equivalent of PS4 Neo.

More powerful PowerVR 7XT GPU. Faster CPU.

5.5 inch, 720p LCD screen.

Analog L2 & R2

Remote play PS4 games in HD 720p, which of course would include Neo enhanced games if you have that console.

Sounds good to me.

PS Trinity.

Keep the screen in the five inch ballpark, Vita was already a near perfect size. The bigger you go, the more pixels you need to keep the clarity up. And that will get especially bad for games where jaggies become more apparent.

So, how small have they managed to shrink the PS3 innards?

A portable with the chip set to play PS3 games on the go (and vita). & let us hook it up to the TV.

Stick it in the Neo while your at it.

I thought while we were just making shit up i might as well go hog wild.

sense

PSP3 wishes from my butt:

-Plays all currently playable Vita software (so PS1, PSP, and Vita titles)
-Compatible with PS2 titles purchased on PS4
-Has the streaming capabilities to match Wii U in a local environment
-Non proprietary memory

Unfortunately for Shia LaBeouf, my dreams will stay dreams.
This is actually what I am expecting IF this rumor is true

Realistically, the bullet points I want to be checked are:

- Vita, PS1, PS2 compatibility.
- Android compatibility.
- $299 - $399.
- Great WiFi adapters.
- Regular SD Card support.
- Real buttons.
- Keep the Vita style design.
- Improve the sticks.
- 1080p screen.

So, how small have they managed to shrink the PS3 innards?

A portable with the chip set to play PS3 games on the go (and vita). & let us hook it up to the TV.

Stick it in the Neo while your at it.

I thought while we were just making shit up i might as well go hog wild.
They'll probably just go with a mobile CPU/GPU with similar horsepower. I'm thinking 8-core ARM A53 + 200-250GF PowerVR.

I'm noticing a lot of people talking about a new Sony handheld; I haven't looked through the whole thread, but is there any reason this isn't just the NX?

Nikodemos

They'll probably just go with a mobile CPU/GPU with similar horsepower. I'm thinking 8-core ARM A53 + 200-250GF PowerVR.
A53s have really lacklustre performance. I'd say a minimum of 2 A72s (like in the SD650) is a must for any aspirations at performance.

anothertech

.01% chance of this. Hell I'll bump it to 1% just for giggles. Having an upgradable system at the chip level only means higher costs, higher chance of people fucking up upgrades, and less sales of $400 consoles.
Nah, they would just make it a proprietary am4 socket that you have to buy Sony brand Apu's to upgrade, for around $400 lol ;)
I'm noticing a lot of people talking about a new Sony handheld; I haven't looked through the whole thread, but is there any reason this isn't just the NX?
It's the new DSVITA. Nintendo Sony hybrid. We figured this out a few pages back.

A little soon for that to already be in production, I wager. And if it were, there'd be a lot more leaks.

A Vita revision, on the other hand, can slip through the cracks and drop at any time with little fanfare.

I would buy another handheld absolutely. Especially if it's more powerful, with cheaper memory cards and Vita compatibility so I can at least get my digital games over there. Cartridge support I would understand being omitted, but I can wish.

StereoVsn

There was a rumor but people are going crazy in this thread. I mean a small revision of Vita could happen, but that's about it. This crazy talk about PSP3 and shit is not going to occur.

Although the comment about a cheaper Vita revision is possible, arguments are fairly solid. It would probably be Japan/Asia only though.

- Vita, PS1, PS2 compatibility.
- Android compatibility.
- $299 - $399.
- Great WiFi adapters.
- Real buttons.
- Improve the sticks.
- 1080p screen.

Your first point is already very unrealistic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we have any more info on the Neo design aside from the weight and size?

Really hoping they go all out with it's design.

autoduelist

Your first point is already very unrealistic.

I don't know. In posts i wrote a year or two ago on the subject before the PS4 announced unique trophy based PS2 games, I always thought a nice Vita revision would include the triggers and other requirements for remote play plus access to the PS2 Library. Improve the power but keep it backwards compatible with vita and new games coming out with work on both the existing Vita and this device... the aded power would only be for PS2 games. of course all of that is out of the window now that Sony seems to want to release PS2 games with trophiesas that changes the dynamic with the PS Store.

a portable ps2 plus vita plus remote play device would be amazing, especially if they added android and standard mem cards.

Vena

A little soon for that to already be in production, I wager. And if it were, there'd be a lot more leaks.

A Vita revision, on the other hand, can slip through the cracks and drop at any time with little fanfare.

We were having something of tangential discussion on this in the NX thread for the Euro leak, and its actually not impossible (maybe not even unlikely) for some units to be being produced now if final dev kits are out for testing purposes, as well as starting to make the chassis and other components that won't be changing even if the guts get altered one way or another before final production.

Given the timing, it actually wouldn't be too outlandish. Probably more likely than a PSP3 of which not a peep has been heard, but potentially as likely as a revision or a random Droid handheld.

I don't know. In posts i wrote a year or two ago on the subject before the PS4 announced unique trophy based PS2 games, I always thought a nice Vita revision would include the triggers and other requirements for remote play plus access to the PS2 Library. Improve the power but keep it backwards compatible with vita and new games coming out with work on both the existing Vita and this device... the aded power would only be for PS2 games. of course all of that is out of the window now that Sony seems to want to release PS2 games with trophiesas that changes the dynamic with the PS Store.

a portable ps2 plus vita plus remote play device would be amazing, especially if they added android and standard mem cards.

Straight up, there is no mobile hardware capable of ps2 emulation (aside from maybe the simplest games). Likewise, Sony has shown very little interest in releasing a new ps1 emulator. It took ages for vita to get one, and then it turned out it was kind of a Frankenstein's monster where it used the psp's ps1 emulator with a different front end and scaling/remapping options.

They aren't going to include psp hardware in a theoretical psp3 like they did the vita. This means making a new emulator and then testing out the hundreds of available ps1 games people already own, all while not expecting any sort of payment.

This is why there is no ps1 emulator on ps4 and why ps2 games aren't the same as the ones emulated on ps3 (and you have to buy them again).

It's not all about power, is about money spent versus theoretical return on investment.

Nah, they would just make it a proprietary am4 socket that you have to buy Sony brand Apu's to upgrade, for around $400 lol ;)
Oh, right. They actually would make it proprietary, not much for vendor lock-in as to stop people from dropping random APUs in there and complaining when they don't work right.

But the APU and RAM were less than $200 in PS4, and really, that's all I'd need to replace in mine to make it a PS4.5, so why not enable that going forward? Release a new APU/RAM module every three years for $250+/-, depending on costs. People can buy those as desired, and buy a whole new box as needed. It'd be as easy as replacing your hard drive, and you wouldn't even need to re-download all of your games. And it reduces waste.

And yes, it would give users yet another reason to stay with PlayStation.

Oh, right. They actually would make it proprietary, not much for vendor lock-in as to stop people from dropping random APUs in there and complaining when they don't work right.

But the APU and RAM were less than $200 in PS4, and really, that's all I'd need to replace in mine to make it a PS4.5, so why not enable that going forward? Release a new APU/RAM module every three years for $250+/-, depending on costs. People can buy those as desired, and buy a whole new box as needed. It'd be as easy as replacing your hard drive, and you wouldn't even need to re-download all of your games. And it reduces waste.

And yes, it would give users yet another reason to stay with PlayStation.

The average user isn't going to want to or can't install a cpu, ram, fan, thermal paste, and problem solve any issue involving those things... Plus they amount of damaged components from static electricity, etc.

It'd be a lot of money to manufacture another set of components just for the super hard core.

zulux21

- Vita, PS1, PSP compatibility.
- Android compatibility.
- $199 - $299.
- Great WiFi adapters.
- Real buttons.
- Improve the sticks.
- 720p screen.

edited your post to fit my thoughts :p

really if sony is making a new handheld I feel that the will have to use an off shoot of android for the OS allowing google play on the device (or if google blocks that at least side loading android apps like an amazon fire product) as well as have exclusive games for it like the nvidia shield.

it's gotta be cheap enough that it appeals as an alternative to a phone, and have good specs for the price.

It's also going to need 4g support properly (don't tie it to one carrier allow it to work like a phone in general)

but we will see. I am hoping the rumor is true either way as I need to replace one of my vitas so a new vita version in general is welcome as well.

paskowitz

Not much speculative neo spec listing going on...

-The known stuff (more power, 4K, HDR, ETC)
-4 USB 3.0 ports with 1 fast charging port
-Dual band AC wifi
-Sata 3 storage interface
-More efficient standby mode
-HDMI 2.0b
-1Tb 7200rpm drive
-Higher bitrate video encoding/streaming
-No wobble
-Improved cooling solutions (maybe semi passive chassis)

120v

I'd say sony is working on a mobile device though not particularly a successor to vita. Something along the lines of nx/shield or something involving streaming. I don't think they're ready to bite the bullet on the Japanese handheld market yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom