• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Next Gen Sonic Game is called Sonic Runners

NEO0MJ

Regardless if this is true or not, I hope the next Sonic game is 60 FPS. Running at 30 FPS hurt generation.

featuring next gen graphics

tumblr_n0wa2qfn3e1qeablwo1_250.gif

I'd pay good money for a Sonic game like that.

Silky

Banned
Unleashed day time was decent and Generations was fantastic in my opinion. Not sure about the hate it gets, it's sonic, he jumps around and runs fucking fast with awesome music. What are people expecting exactly? I mean 06 and the Wii games were horrific, I don't count this Sonic Boom bollocks, that's like the story book games imo

The same thing most people complain about in regards to Sonic: they want something like the Genesis titles. even though there are plenty of games like that.

Zareka

Wait, was Lost World made by someone other than the main Sonic Team? I thought that was their project after Generations.

I don't know why you had to put this qualifier in your post. Generations is part of the sonic cycle for a lot of people. SEGA aren't up to the task anymore.

Generations was legitimately a solid game. Though, the problems come in with the boost gameplay for me and some poor choice of stages after Speed Highway. The story also kills some interest in the game too even though this was obvious fanservice. The level design, for Classic Sonic at least, shows that they still have some talent left.

Not that you are wrong. Sonic Team has been missing the nail on the head for some time now.

Liamario

Banned
Then explain why Sonic Generations is part of it then???

Because it's a disappointing game. Because sonic deserves more. Because your standards for sonic have been chiseled away so much, that you think that Sonic game which got average scores is good enough. Sonic used to be up there with Mario in terms of quality and hasn't been anywhere close since the early 90s.
Don't blame me because your standards have dropped.

Silky

Banned
Because it's a disappointing game. Because sonic deserves more. Because your standards for sonic have been chiseled away so much, that you think that Sonic game which got average scores is good enough. Sonic used to be up there with Mario in terms of quality and hasn't been anywhere close since the early 90s.

sabu.png

So instead of explaining your displeasure of the actual game you go into some meta-philosophical bullshit of 'sonic fans should expect more!'. That isn't an explanation. It's a scapegoat.

Generations had what I expect from a Sonic game: great level design. great music. great replayability. Good looking.

Tell me more about what I look for in a sonic game while I wait for your explanation.

Liamario

Banned
Generations was legitimately a solid game. Though, the problems come in with the boost gameplay for me and some poor choice of stages after Speed Highway. The story also kills some interest in the game too even though this was obvious fanservice. The level design, for Classic Sonic at least, shows that they still have some talent left.

Not that you are wrong. Sonic Team has been missing the nail on the head for some time now.

I just don't think solid is enough anymore, especially when you mention those problems with the game. Sonic used to be AAA. Until it becomes that again, or gets somewhere on the right track, the sonic cycle stills continues as far as I'm concerned.

NotLiquid

The guy's relatively on point with the Sonic Boom stuff so I'd like to assume there's some validity but the name doesn't really mean too much (could be dropped just like Sonic Wildfire), only reaffirms that the next mainline Sonic game is on the way and most people already knew this since Endri of Sonic Retro said the same thing, and around the same timeframe no less.

Wait, was Lost World made by someone other than the main Sonic Team? I thought that was their project after Generations.

Lost World was predominantly made by Sonic Team members that made Colors. Even so I really wouldn't use words like "Generations" team since that's a misnomer. The people behind that game consisted of both Unleashed developers and the Storybook/Colors developers.

Krejlooc

Banned

Bro I've watched your posts in the Star Wars VII topic. Don't pretend your taste is untouchable.

Liamario

Banned
sabu.png

So instead of explaining your displeasure of the actual game you go into some meta-philosophical bullshit of 'sonic fans should expect more!'. That isn't an explanation. It's a scapegoat.

Generations had what I expect from a Sonic game: great level design. great music. great replayability. Good looking.

Tell me more about what I look for in a sonic game while I wait for your explanation.

Sonic has ranged from extremely shit to average since 1993. I could care less what you look for in a game, I can only tell you that for me, the sonic cycle hasn't been broken.

I don't know why you had to put this qualifier in your post. Generations is part of the sonic cycle for a lot of people. SEGA aren't up to the task anymore.

Why? I thought it was amazing. I didn't think Sega was still capable of making Sonic games that good.

They could just make a generations 2 and it would be hot fire. Didn't hate lost world but it wasn't that great either. Excluding the shitty storybook spinoffs and sonic boom, most recent sonic games have been good to great. Looking forward to this game, although that title is pretty shit.

Silky

Banned
Sonic has ranged from extremely shit to average since 1993. I could care less what you look for in a game, I can only tell you that for me, the sonic cycle hasn't been broken.

Well at least you're honest. lol

What defines a good Sonic game? Because I'm /pretty sure/ Unleashed, Colors and Generations are very good games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd really like it if they started focusing less on running, more on layered platforming. Definitely place elements that encourage players to zoom through parts of the level (loops, twisted walkways, etc.), but don't make them the norm. Also, make another 2D sidescrolling console game that isn't piecemeal episodic fare, thanks.

Also, Generations was still terrible.
Wat? Generations is one of the best Sonic games ever made. It's not 16-bit Genesis grade but it's better than every single other Sonic game outside of the originals.

One of my favorite platformers of the last decade, honestly.

Console Sonic Platformers have been very very close to annual since...2004

2002 Adventure 2 (GameCube version)
2004 Heroes
2005 Shadow the Hedgehog
2006 Sonic 06
2007 Secret Rings
2008 Unleashed
2009 Black Knight
2010 Colours
2011 Generations
2012 - (The second Kart Racer )
2013 Lost World
2014 Boom

So yeah, I´d say there will be a new Sonic game come holiday 2015. I hope it is more like Colours, Generations and the first levels of Lost World than...Boom.

Liamario

Banned
Bro I've watched your posts in the Star Wars VII topic. Don't pretend your taste is untouchable.

What does that even mean. My taste is my taste. You don't have to agree with me.

The same goes for Star Wars. It's called an opinion- you're not required to have the same one.

Krejlooc

Banned

Your previous posts weren't "for me." In fact, they were very much about telling people that their standards are low. You're not explaining your opinion, you're berating others for not sharing your opinion. That's annoying.

Why? I thought it was amazing. I didn't think Sega was still capable of making Sonic games that good.
I thought Colors was better mostly since Generations felt like they tried to remake Sonic's best with boost gameplay. It's been awhile since I played either, but I wasnt as pleased as most with generations
probably because I don't care for classic 2D Sonic
Despite really liking the day stages in Unleashed and colors, i really hope the next Sonic game isn't jusy another boost game

Krejlooc

Banned
What does that even mean. My taste is my taste. You don't have to agree with me.

The same goes for Star Wars. It's called an opinion- you're not required to have the same one.

Follow your own advice.

WillyFive

It's true that Sonic Generations's boss battles were poor; and I did expect a lot more from the story for a 20th anniversary crossover than lame banter, but it was a AAA game in every respect.

Hilariously enough Lost World is better than both of those games.

But it is inferior to Colors, which they did after those two games.

sabu.png

i only played the sonic generations demo on ps3. only the 2d section, the controls were a huge step backwards compared to the 16 bit games, no momentum, the graphics were sub hd ass, and 30fps is unacceptable for a 2d sonic game, to make matters worse it's not even a solid 30fps.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
At this point isn't it just a Sonic flatline? Surely no one actually believes a new Sonic game will ever be good.

Sonic Generations was fantastic.

i only played the sonic generations demo on ps3. only the 2d section, the controls were a huge sterp backwards compared to the 16 bit games, the graphics were sub hd ass, and 30fps is unacceptable for a 2d sonic game, to make matters worse it's not even a solid 30fps.

Should've played the PC version which has none of those issues.

I just don't think solid is enough anymore, especially when you mention those problems with the game. Sonic used to be AAA. Until it becomes that again, or gets somewhere on the right track, the sonic cycle stills continues as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. He definitely deserves and Sonic Team definitely need to take a better look at what made him an international icon. If they really want to make him relevant again, they have to build integrity, at least with the core fans, with quality titles.

Silky

Banned

i only played the sonic generations demo on ps3. only the 2d section, the controls were a huge sterp backwards compared to the 16 bit games, the graphics were sub hd ass, and 30fps is unacceptable for a 2d sonic game, to make matters worse it's not even a solid 30fps.

PC is obviously where the game shines, yeah.

But I don't know what to tell you, I heard the PS3 version of Generations was the worst one compared to 360.

To be honest, all the people who mention that the Sonic cycle is still going are the ones who have no interest in it and know nothing about the games outside of Shadow the hedgehog and 06' existing.

WillyFive

i only played the sonic generations demo on ps3. only the 2d section, the controls were a huge step backwards compared to the 16 bit games, no momentum, the graphics were sub hd ass, and 30fps is unacceptable for a 2d sonic game, to make matters worse it's not even a solid 30fps.

The PS3 port is really bad, with super long loading times, laggy controls, and the game pauses anytime it saves data.

You should be playing it on PC.

Ferr986

Controls are fine. They're different than the classic ones, but not worse.
Also, you have to play it on PC. It runs on almost everything

Liamario

Banned
Your previous posts weren't "for me." In fact, they were very much about telling people that their standards are low. You're not explaining your opinion, you're berating others for not sharing your opinion. That's annoying.

I've played generations. Did not finish it. I absolutely hate the 3d sections, they feel janky and need a lot of work. He moves to fast to really control with precision. The 2D sections are better, but the physics just aren't quite right. I never said the game was bad. I just think the games just haven't come close to the standard that was set in 1993 and prior. Average isn't good enough.

Ferr986

I've played generations. Did not finish it. I absolutely hate the 3d sections, they feel junky and need a lot of work. He moves to fast to really control with precision. The 2D sections are better, but the physics just aren't quite right. I never said the game was bad. I just think the games just haven't come close to the standard that was set in 1993 and prior. Average isn't good enough.

Just because you dont like the boost gameplay it doesnt mean that its an average game.
Its just a different kind of game than the classic ones

Spaghetti

notice how you didn't actually explain what was wrong with the game

Teknoman

I'd really like it if they started focusing less on running, more on layered platforming. Definitely place elements that encourage players to zoom through parts of the level (loops, twisted walkways, etc.), but don't make them the norm. Also, make another 2D sidescrolling console game that isn't piecemeal episodic fare, thanks.

Also, Generations was still terrible.

Was not.

And lets not pretend every Mario game is AAA these days either. They seriously dropped the ball on NSMB 1 and 2. The only good NSMB games were the Wii and Wii U releases.

Top Bottom