• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Next Gen Sonic Game is called Sonic Runners

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If this is the first Sonic game the Generations team is making since generations, I've got really high hopes for it. Generations is awesome.

WillyFive

I've played generations. Did not finish it. I absolutely hate the 3d sections, they feel junky and need a lot of work. He moves to fast to really control with precision. The 2D sections are better, but the physics just aren't quite right. I never said the game was bad. I just think the games just haven't come close to the standard that was set in 1993 and prior. Average isn't good enough.

I felt the 3D sections were the peak of Sonic gameplay. Addictive, fun, exhilarating, and combined with the level design, visuals, and music; it's an experience no other platformer can give. The 2D sections however break all of that, but it was fine because it's meant to be fan service to the old fans, and they were still really fun.

Don't let your nostalgia get the better of you. The problem is that the standard set with Generations didn't continue, not that Generations didn't meet some standard you look for.

Teknoman

3D Sonic in Generations was pretty precise imo. I mean its about as tight as its ever been. All Sonic Team needs to do is refine the gameplay established with Colors and Generations, keep those crazy styled areas and soundtracks going, and maybe tone down homing attack reliance abit.

Also dont make Super Sonic an end boss only thing, or at least make an extra end stage unlock. No auto traversal loops either.

Dimmle

Sonic used to be up there with Mario in terms of quality and hasn't been anywhere close since the early 90s.

I'm writing a sequel to the Truman Show in which Jim Carrey plays Super Mario World and experiences an epiphany wherein he realizes that Sonic has always been a comfortably dumpy platformer.

Was not.

And lets not pretend every Mario game is AAA these days either. They seriously dropped the ball on NSMB 1 and 2. The only good NSMB games were the Wii and Wii U releases.

Mario´s weakest platforming games are not even comparable to the lows some....or most of the post Adventure 2 Sonic games have fallen to.

Generations and Colours are good games. But let´s not get crazy here.

The Beard

featuring next gen graphics

tumblr_n0wa2qfn3e1qeablwo1_250.gif

That's that new, new next gen Sonic !

He looks fuckin bitchin now. He could kick Marios ass.

Neoxon

christ I hope this is good

I mean, Generations was fantastic, but Lost World... I dunno man
Lost World was alright. Not as good as Generations or Colors, sure, but it was better than most of the others.
Of course, I mean the Wii U version. The 3DS version is hot garbage.

TimmiT

christ I hope this is good

I mean, Generations was fantastic, but Lost World... I dunno man

Well, this would probably be made by the Generations team. And the name implies that it would have a focus on going fast again rather than slower platforming like Lost World had. Also, seeing how that team has probably been working on it since Generations was finished, they would have had four years to develop the game once it releases. I think there's reason enough to be more confident about it than Lost World, which felt like an experiment they didn't have enough time for to properly execute.

Runners is plural.

Shitty friends confirmed.

Also, lets hope to be a Sonic R sequel

I don't think that multiple playable characters would be bad if they don't try to make the gameplay incredibly different for each character like they tried with the Adventure games. If it'd be done like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles where all of the characters are mostly the same aside from a one or two abilities, I wouldn't mind having Tails or Knuckles playable.

My interest level is quite low, especially with that title. Sonic has dipped so far in quality, and even the original ones were overrated.

Neoxon

Well, this would probably be made by the Generations team. And the name implies that it would have a focus on going fast again rather than slower platforming like Lost World had. Also, seeing how that team has probably been working on it since Generations was finished, they would have had four years to develop the game once it releases. I think there's reason enough to be more confident about it than Lost World, which felt like an experiment they didn't have enough time for to properly execute.
Which would be a shame, since I felt that the boost style peaked with Generations. If they can give more with the style here, be my guest, but I fear that it may feel like more of the same. That's why I was hoping they'd just refine the Lost World style to be slightly faster & with more contemporary level design.

Teknoman

Mario´s weakest platforming games are not even comparable to the lows some....or most of the post Adventure 2 Sonic games have fallen to.

Generations and Colours are good games. But let´s not get crazy here.

Oh I know that, but for people just to say the two were horrible, and its just a placebo that people feel they were great because they were the only somewhat competent games to make it out of the post Dreamcast bog...its just not right.

At any rate, heres hoping for a PC release as well. 60 fps Generations was just a sight to behold.

Maedhros

Sonic has ranged from extremely shit to average since 1993. I could care less what you look for in a game, I can only tell you that for me, the sonic cycle hasn't been broken.

Basically, what I learned is that you have a shit oppinion and I should ignore you from now on?

Because I found Generations better than any Mega Drive game, except Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

NotLiquid

Which would be a shame, since I felt that the boost style peaked with Generations. If they can give more with the style here, be my guest, but I fear that it may feel like more of the same. That's why I was hoping they'd just refine the Lost World style to be slightly faster & with more contemporary level design.

I agree. Generations felt like an expansion pack sequel (a superior one to its predecessor mind) in many aspects and I'm not sure what else they can do to make the Unleashed game play more fun. I liked the idea of Lost World "toning down" the overbearingly fast game play of Generations/Unleashed because maybe they'd have more development time to just make the game bigger, more varied and have more intricacies to it's game play. I had fun with the boost games but considering the crazy amount of manpower Sega has to put in to make those stages big enough and the game is still just 4 hours long or so, it feels like a fleeting experience.

Nvzman

Colors and Generations are not considered bad games at all by most people. They are largely ignored whenever people talk about how "shitty" a new Sonic game is going to be tho.

Neoxon

I agree. Generations felt like an expansion pack sequel (a superior one to its predecessor mind) in many aspects and I'm not sure what else they can do to make the Unleashed game play more fun. I liked the idea of Lost World "toning down" the overbearingly fast game play of Generations/Unleashed because maybe they'd have more development time to just make the game bigger, more varied and have more intricacies to it's game play. I had fun with the boost games but considering the crazy amount of manpower Sega has to put in to make those stages big enough and the game is still just 4 hours long or so, it feels like a fleeting experience.
This, pretty much. I'm just hoping that Sonic Team goes in & fixes the specific issues with the Lost World style rather than scrapping the style entirely.

Foffy

Banned
That sites quoting /v/. It has as much trolls as /Random/. I wouldn't take his word on it.

I like how people discredit the site effortlessly despite never asking why such a place is a source.

Maybe the fact the person they're citing called out a lot of things we're now seeing in Sonic Boom's final release? Things that we never knew at the time the posts were made, including characters? And no, not just popular guesses like Shadow and Metal Sonic, but characters literally made for this game?

Also, do you forget that's where Bloodborne leaked?

Tuck

Please play like Generations.

Astral Dog

Hmm, Sonic Stadium, it could be...
But dont most rumors of new Sonic games always turn to be false?
I remember some, like one before they announced Lost Worls, that ended up being bullshit.

And it should be Mario Jumping

ShadiWulf

There is a lot of fake Sonic rumors, but this one seems somewhat credible because this guy also said a lot of stuff about Sonic Boom that ended up true. Although in the end, all he did was give a title. I mean everyone knows there will be a Sonic game in 2015 regardless.

Here is some more concrete info for the next Sonic game from the guy that leaked Sonic 4 being bad, nothing major, but it's good to know Sonic Team is working on a game.
http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/03/working-prototypes-of-next-sonic-allegedly-in-existence/

Zareka

Lost World was by Sonic Team's 'storybook' devs (Black Knight, Secret Rings.) iirc

Lost World was predominantly made by Sonic Team members that made Colors. Even so I really wouldn't use words like "Generations" team since that's a misnomer. The people behind that game consisted of both Unleashed developers and the Storybook/Colors developers.

Huh, well I don't know what to think now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Narroo

To be fair, Sonic Runners is kinda of a pun, unlike Mario Jumpers. Sonic Runners could refer to people running at Sonic Speeds.

I'd really like it if they started focusing less on running, more on layered platforming. Definitely place elements that encourage players to zoom through parts of the level (loops, twisted walkways, etc.), but don't make them the norm. Also, make another 2D sidescrolling console game that isn't piecemeal episodic fare, thanks.

Also, Generations was still terrible.

I agree in the focus being placed in the wrong area, I wouldn't say generations was terrible, bit it certainly wasn't what I wanted. Lost world is a step in the right direction, but there's still a lot of issues with their design.

The momentum based gameplay for Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations was seriously whack. The devs designed the levels so you hold forward and do automated stuff as much as possible and hopefully ignore the terrible physics model.

Top Bottom