• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Next Gen Sonic Game is called Sonic Runners

WillyFive

I would argue it would be worse

Like everything, it would depend on which team has it.

When we saw Sonic in Brawl, it was the best representation of the character up until that point in time. The quality of the animations for Sonic were beyond anything Sega had done back then.

So nobody is concerned with the Boost style becoming stale?

The thing about Boost style is that there's plenty of room for expansion. Especially if they remove the platforming limitations and allow you to use various abilities outside of special areas (i.e. Tricking, Wall Jump, Light Dash, Wall Run.)

Also Competitive Boost Multiplayer has yet to exist so we are far from seeing it pushed to its limits.

SodaBeam

Neo Member
It's like a Mario game being titled Mario Jumpers.

bazMFSA.jpg

xX7qnxY.jpg

Village

Like everything, it would depend on which team has it.

When we saw Sonic in Brawl, it was the best representation of the character up until that point inT time. The quality of the animations for Sonic were beyond anything Sega had done back then.

Thats argable.

Also a character looking cool in a fighting game means nothing. Dante looked cool in marvel 3 , does that mean that team should develop the next dmc? No they translated a character to a fighting game thats it.

Edit: a better example, zero is hype in marvel 3 , the last games in the x series, not so much.

Also there are other things about sonic in general that I dont think nintendo could hit.

Lijik

So nobody is concerned with the Boost style becoming stale?

I think they can keep it feeling fresh if they expand on the more complex stages from Generations. Seaside Hill had so many different shortcuts and paths that I wound up replaying that one the most. A whole game with levels like that would be rad.

WillyFive

A character looking cool in a fighting game means nothing.

That has nothing to do with anything. Even if it was just in animation and presentation, that is already one area that another team excelled at; that means it's also possible for another team to excel in other areas as well, such as gameplay, physics, music, and more.

I don't really see anything that Sega has done with Sonic that Nintendo couldn't 'hit'.

Music? Nintendo's composers are very competitive with Sega's and are some of the best in the industry. Dialogue and story? Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda, Xenoblade, Paper Mario, and Hotel Dusk show Nintendo is plenty capable. Speed? They got F-Zero under their belt. Platforming? Obviously. What would they be missing?

That has nothing to do with anything. Even if it was just in animation and presentation, that is already one area that another team excelled at; that means it's also possible for another team to excel in other areas as well, such as gameplay, physics, music, and more.

I don't really see anything that Sega has done with Sonic that Nintendo couldn't 'hit'.

Music? Nintendo's composers are very competitive with Sega's and are some of the best in the industry. Dialogue and story? Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda, Xenoblade, Paper Mario, and Hotel Dusk show Nintendo is plenty capable. Speed? They got F-Zero under their belt. Platforming? Obviously. What would they be missing?
This post needs some asterisks, also the best F-Zero was made by Sega.

Lethe82

Banned
The under current of 'you're not a real sonic fan if you prefer the classics and if you do it's because you are blinded by nostalgia or never kept up with the series and can not be reasoned with' is kind of amusing.

I own

Sonic Advance 1,2
Sonic Adventure 1, 2, DX
Sonic Rush
Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Generations (with unleashed mod)

There's a reason why even a digital only title that looked pretty iffy (Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I) sold so well, guys. It sold far better than anticipated because people were hoping it was exactly what the name suggested. At the end of the day, even the upswing in effort put in by Sega in Sonic games (that being Unleashed and Generations) didn't translate into larger sales for the series and titles of lesser quality than that are basically going in the Black Knight range of sales.

This post needs some asterisks, also the best F-Zero was made by Sega.

Years ago by a team composition that no longer exists and would not be working on a Sonic game (especially after this most recent round of downsizing).

I'm still afraid that they'll go back to the Boost style & this game will end up feeling like more of the same.

A lot of fans are getting sick of the heavily automated boost style. Enjoyment from it is entirely dependent on the spotty level design from Sonic team.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think anyone was trying to say how the Genesis games were all-around perfect as Sonic 2 has some bad design choices, but ok.

Like what? I think Sonic 2 is the only pure good one looking back.

But actually, re-playing the classic Sonic games, I have a LOT of issues with them. The basic physics are solid, and the music and graphics are top-notch, but Sonic 1 only has, like, two fun Zones, and many of the Zones in Sonic 3 and Knuckles just end up being tedious and confusing. Like I can't stand Ice Cap Zone.

Lethe82

Banned
Sonic CD is my favorite. Massive levels, great music, really fun bonus stage. The only bad Level in the entire game is Wacky Workbench.

If EAD got to make a Sonic game...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
No. The idea was that Sonic 2 would be developed by Americans under supervision of developers from Japan so that STI could learn from them.

When Yuji Naka was rehired by Sega and one of his conditions was that Americans were forbidden from working on Sonic 3. Sonic 3 was still developed in the US, though.

okay ... so, would this be more accurate?

All the console Sonic games (besides racing ones) and which teams made them:

Sonic Team (Japan)
Sonic the Hedgehog (June 1991)
Sonic CD (Sept. 1993)
Sonic Adventure (Dec. 1998)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Nov. 2006)
Sonic Unleashed (Nov. 2008)
Sonic Generations (Nov. 2011)
???? (2015)

Sonic Team (U.S.)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Nov. 1992)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Feb. 1994)
Sonic & Knuckles (Oct. 1994)

Sega Technical Institute
Sonic Spinball (Nov. 1993)

Traveler's Tales
Sonic 3D Blast (Nov. 1996)

"Sonic Team USA"
Sonic Adventure 2 (June 2001)
Sonic Heroes (Dec. 2003)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Nov. 2005)

Sonic Team (storybook team)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Feb. 2007)
Sonic and the Black Knight (March 2009)
Sonic Colors (Nov. 2010)
Sonic Lost World (Nov. 2013)

Dimps
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (Oct. 2010)
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II (May 2012)

Big Red Button Entertainment
Sonic Boom (Nov. 2014)

Sonic CD is my favorite. Massive levels, great music, really fun bonus stage. The only bad Level in the entire game is Wacky Workbench.
206-eww.jpg

Sonic CD is one of the worst Sonic games I ever played. Sorry Kreljooc. Someone explained the asinine level design, and it made a lot more sense for me but it still didn't make me hate it less.
A lot of fans are getting sick of the heavily automated boost style. Enjoyment from it is entirely dependent on the spotty level design from Sonic team.

How is it Spotty? Their work in Generations was their best work yet, those stages were overwhelmingly huge.

Also, Most people seem to want more from what I've seen.

Also, automated?

sörine;138431491 said:
X really is better than GX, although it's close. I think if you could combine X's handling and design with GX's presentation you'd have a near perfect game.

I wouldn't actually mind to see that. GX's presentation was glorious at the time.

Btw Sonic CD is INDEED the best Sonic ever.

camron.gif

Ferr986

Years ago by a team composition that no longer exists and would not be working on a Sonic game (especially after this most recent round of downsizing).

Restructuring aside theres a lot of people from Amusement still in Sega.
I know it doesnt have much to do with Sonic, but if I trust on Sega being unmatched in something, that is in arcade racers.

okay ... so, would this be more accurate?

All the console Sonic games (besides racing ones) and which teams made them:

Sonic Team (Japan)
Sonic the Hedgehog (June 1991)
Sonic CD (Sept. 1993)
Sonic Adventure (Dec. 1998)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Nov. 2006)
Sonic Unleashed (Nov. 2008)
Sonic Generations (Nov. 2011)
???? (2015)

Sonic Team (U.S.)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Nov. 1992)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Feb. 1994)
Sonic & Knuckles (Oct. 1994)

Sega Technical Institute
Sonic Spinball (Nov. 1993)

Traveler's Tales
Sonic 3D Blast (Nov. 1996)

"Sonic Team USA"
Sonic Adventure 2 (June 2001)
Sonic Heroes (Dec. 2003)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Nov. 2005)

Sonic Team (storybook team)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Feb. 2007)
Sonic and the Black Knight (March 2009)
Sonic Colors (Nov. 2010)
Sonic Lost World (Nov. 2013)

Dimps
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (Oct. 2010)
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II (May 2012)

Big Red Button Entertainment
Sonic Boom (Nov. 2014)

Why split Sonic Team and Sonic Team storybook? they are the same team, just different persons working on differents projects. Its not like the so called storybook is fixed.

For example, Sonic CD was made by Sonic Team but a lot of staff was different from Sonic 1, due to them being at STI developing Sonic 2. (btw I would say Sonic 2 was STI and not Sonic Team US, because that didnt even exist. Sonic 3 was Sonic Team staff working on STI offices).

Btw Sonic CD is INDEED the best Sonic ever.

NotLiquid

I think they can keep it feeling fresh if they expand on the more complex stages from Generations. Seaside Hill had so many different shortcuts and paths that I wound up replaying that one the most. A whole game with levels like that would be rad.

I think what turns me off of the idea is the size. I mean, Generations came out three years after Unleashed. It had huge, visually busy and complex levels, and yet you could blaze through the game in three hours. The downside of making these huge levels is that little room is left for much else. Even though it's a small quality package I never got the sense that they'd be worth the years of wait.

I dunno, Generations was fun but for some reason the game just felt lazily thrown together to me when you actually start dissecting it. I feel like Colors was at least a bit better in this regard because while it did have similar game play, it was overall a bit slower so the level design had more space to breathe and be creative. I just want a Sonic game that, while fast, has enough content in it to go around and is still expandable from it's core structure, where-as the boost game play is just really busy and demands so much of both the developer and the players.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think what turns me off of the idea is the size. I mean, Generations came out three years after Unleashed. It had huge, visually busy and complex levels, and yet you could blaze through the game in three hours. The downside of making these huge levels is that little room is left for much else. Even though it's a small quality package I never got the sense that they'd be worth the years of wait.

I dunno, Generations was fun but for some reason the game just felt lazily thrown together to me when you actually start dissecting it. I feel like Colors was at least a bit better in this regard because while it did have similar game play, it was overall a bit slower so the level design had more space to breathe and be creative. I just want a Sonic game that, while fast, has enough content in it to go around and is still expandable from it's core structure, where-as the boost game play is just really busy and demands so much of both the developer and the players.
I agree with this and it's a big reason I hope they continue with the Lost World style but refined and massively improved.

The under current of 'you're not a real sonic fan if you prefer the classics and if you do it's because you are blinded by nostalgia or never kept up with the series and can not be reasoned with' is kind of amusing.

I'm okay with not being a real Sonic fan.

Lethe82

Banned

Agreed 100%.

How is it Spotty? Their work in Generations was their best work yet, those stages were overwhelmingly huge.

Also, Most people seem to want more from what I've seen.

All data we have points to Generations selling less than Unleashed (granted Sega was stupid and omitted a wii version that time, but even with one it looks like it would have sold less, or been equal). I mean I could be wrong, but that's what we have heard, isn't it?

Generations and Colors ruled. Lost World was a solid 7/10. This Sonic Boom bullshit has nothing to do with Sonic Team so consider me stoked on whatever they're cooking up.

Great. Post. I actually agree.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm with Arc on Sonic CD.

I never got to play it as a kid, because I didn't have the right computer, but I always saw it as an amazing game due to Sonic Jam, which featured the OP/ED cinematics.

Then I finally played it when the Sonic Gems Collection came out, and I had no clue what the fuck I was doing and realized it was a big, confusing mess.

Lijik

I dunno. Sonic Colors is pretty short as well, you can blast through the game in 2-4 hours. I also feel like it had more 2d levels to help pad itself out instead of just one to each 3D stage.
Both games shine in replaying the levels to find all of the red rings.

Thats always been the sonic MO for me. Short games that get a lot of mileage out of exploring the levels for new paths.

I'm with Arc on Sonic CD.

I never got to play it as a kid, because I didn't have the right computer, but I always saw it as an amazing game due to Sonic Jam, which featured the OP/ED cinematics.

Then I finally played it when the Sonic Gems Collection came out, and I had no clue what the fuck I was doing and realized it was a big, confusing mess.
THAT WAS EXACTLY HOW I FELT!!! lmao. Real talk, I had all the Genesis games when I was a kid, but never got to play CD until I was 16. Shit was mindblowingly janky. The level design, the spin dash, animations and shit. I always call it the Sonic 06 of the Genesis era.

Top Bottom