• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball | OT | Haggle for Peanuts and Crackerjack

AEREC

Game is quite enjoyable...it gives me a nostalgic feeling for baseball I used to love as a kid (not really into sports anymore). Dialogue is charming too.

rjc571

Banned

qzm7J4y.jpg

bon

This game is really neat. I love the storyline, but it makes me feel kind of bad for talking Rusty into a low price.

maxcriden

The bat and switch, reminds me of rhythm heaven, going to get bat master now and loving the interaction with rusty.

What other games do you recommend?

You know, I just ordered Rhythm Heaven from Fry's with a gift card and I got an email saying they can't get me a copy. :(

As for recommendations, I have not played anything other than Bat and Switch so far; too busy with other games at the moment but I am enjoying reading others' impressions and I did enjoy my time with the demo version.

I played this all weekend. Couldn't put it down. Definitely has a Warioware/Rhythm Heaven feel and that is exactly what I has hoped. I bought just about everything, but the hitting games are the stars of the show so far. Has that "just one more" thing going.

rjc571

Banned
Hale-XF11 your Make the Call rip is no longer available. I was gonna grab it and maybe upload to youtube but I didn't get a chance. Can you rehost it?

Exile20

I played this all weekend. Couldn't put it down. Definitely has a Warioware/Rhythm Heaven feel and that is exactly what I has hoped. I bought just about everything, but the hitting games are the stars of the show so far. Has that "just one more" thing going.

Can you list your top five games and is bat master worth it? How much does it affect the hitting games?

Tom_Cody

The bat and switch, reminds me of rhythm heaven, going to get bat master now and loving the interaction with rusty.

What other games do you recommend?
I have already sunk a few hours into 'Bat and Switch' and I honestly have no desire yet to move on to the other games. Every time I sit down with it I can either work on my high score for one of the two title-screen games, work on getting A-ranks, or work on beating new challenges. I am always able to make progress in one of those areas so I am more than happy to chip away at that. I'm sure I will move on eventually but I'm not at that point yet.

On a separate note, I can't help but think that this would be a perfect title for Nintendo to release on iOS/Android.

Can you list your top five games and is bat master worth it? How much does it affect the hitting games?

I've spent the most time with the two hitting games and Quick Catch. All three are pretty addictive. The high score derby modes could get really competitive if there were leaderboards (beyond streetpass). Volley Bat is fun, Drop Blocks is challenging (I can't keep the X and Y buttons straight) and the demo for the Ump game was interesting. The fly ball game was cool too but I haven't figured out how to handle the wind mechanic yet,

I haven't bought Bat Master yet, although I'm sure I will. This is the kind of game I want from Nintendo and I'll gladly support it. Honestly these games cost less than you'd pay for dinner, all are worth a buck or two.

I'd also like to chime in and say that this game is pretty fun. I've only spent time with the Bat and Switch game, but I played quite a bit of it over the weekend. I was hesitant about the mechanics of haggling, but it's not so bad. I might end up buying all the games haha. But first I gotta get all golds in Basic and Advanced! ^_^

Also, COME (B)AT ME BRO:

(from the Bat and Switch Hi-Score Derby B mode)

Hale-XF11

What's everyone's high score in Bat Master? I managed 567 ft. I think I can do better though. Trying to figure out what kind of bat gets the greatest distance. Seems like slightly heavier than default is the way to go, but I'm curious what other people are creating.

Hale-XF11 your Make the Call rip is no longer available. I was gonna grab it and maybe upload to youtube but I didn't get a chance. Can you rehost it?

Alright, it's back up. Gimme a heads up after you grab it if you would.

I'd also like to chime in and say that this game is pretty fun. I've only spent time with the Bat and Switch game, but I played quite a bit of it over the weekend. I was hesitant about the mechanics of haggling, but it's not so bad. I might end up buying all the games haha. But first I gotta get all golds in Basic and Advanced! ^_^

Also, COME (B)AT ME BRO:

That's a crazy good score. Do you get anything for getting the platinum A+ medal? A new uniform or anything like that?

And I 100%'d the basic and advanced modes, but I'll go for all of the golds if you unlock anything. I have a bad feeling though you don't get anything for it other than the satisfaction (which definitely won't be worth the frustration on those goddam bomb mini-games)

I'm absolutely adoring this game so far, but I want to wait to post impressions until I have the time to properly articulate why I find it to be so great. Sad that this thread is less than two pages, but it's nice to see that everyone else who has tried it seems to be loving it as well.

rekameohs

Banned
Bought the first two games, Bat and Switch and the more in-depth batting cage version, and they are great. I'll probably end up buying the whole package.

It would be awesome if the 3DS could actually get a true baseball game, but this is a fun collection too.

Also, COME (B)AT ME BRO:

HOLY SHIT, is there a A+ ranking for the challenges or just the Hi-Score Derbys?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Has anyone purchased the bat design game? Is that worth the couple of bucks, since its not really a "game" like the others ?

Has anyone purchased the bat design game? Is that worth the couple of bucks, since its not really a "game" like the others ?
I bought it and was not very impressed. I think all it does is affect the speed at which you swing, which could be helpful I suppose or it could just mess you up after you're used to the standard speed.

The game says it won't affect how far you'll hit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bought Cage Match & wow, the challenges where you have to judge if it's in the strike zone or not seems like it'll get really hard. Otherwise, hoping I can master the aim since there's more variety in scoring.

rpmurphy

Bought Cage Match & wow, the challenges where you have to judge if it's in the strike zone or not seems like it'll get really hard. Otherwise, hoping I can master the aim since there's more variety in scoring.
Wait until you get to the final column of Advanced mode challenges. It's hellish fun.

Velcro Fly

Still grinding out all golds on Bat & Switch. Have 25/25 on regular and the first 10 on advanced. 5-4 and 5-5 are killing me though. Not only is the sound when you hit a UFO distracting but I swear the screen shake is so much worse on these two than others. Getting gold is going to be painful as I can barely clear 5-4 and haven't cleared 5-5 yet.

Shinta

Banned
Man ... the fielding game where you run and dive is sooooooooooo much fun. I cannot stop playing it. Already got A+ on it. It's just phenomenal.

This is basically Wii Sports Resort 2, only its all baseball.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Filled up 5 pages in the stamp book & unlocked
A LIMITED EDITION GOLDEN 4DS WOOAAHHHH

Part of me wonders if I'll get something else for 10 pages worth.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man ... the fielding game where you run and dive is sooooooooooo much fun. I cannot stop playing it. Already got A+ on it. It's just phenomenal.

This is basically Wii Sports Resort 2, only its all baseball.

Filled up 5 pages in the stamp book & unlocked
A LIMITED EDITION GOLDEN 4DS WOOAAHHHH

Part of me wonders if I'll get something else for 10 pages worth.

I got that too, I'm hoping there's more rewards to follow!

Man the popout fielding game is hard to me. Do you have to catch the ball in the middle of the screen ? I am having such trouble...

maxcriden

This game is influencing me. I got into a very fun back and forth with someone in the B/S/T thread and we both came to a mutual deal that I think left us both happy. It was a pretty fun haggling session.

Shinta

Banned
I got that too, I'm hoping there's more rewards to follow!

Man the popout fielding game is hard to me. Do you have to catch the ball in the middle of the screen ? I am having such trouble...

Yeah, middle of the screen for +3. I'm not very good at that one. The first person one right? I agree, it's challenging.

bjork

I somehow wound up paying $16.10 for everything, so I must've used the discounts out of order or something. Still, this thing is a blast. I'm pretty horrible at the ones that you need to physically move to complete, but it's still fun to play it anyway. I made a bat and it rated well, I wound up getting an A rating for distance. I wonder if there is an A+?

I also tried making a skinny bat for faster swings, but I don't see where it would be handy. Even when two balls come close together, it's still possible to time the swings with a regular bat and hit them. :shrug:

If they did this for other sports, like a golf or a fishing, I would probably be into it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the Bat Master one & yeah, the appeal doesn't last long when you've made 3 bats & got the A or A+ rating to unlock the one
ninja
outfit.

Edit: Woah, the game just randomly decided to give me a demo for Make The Call. Guess I'll get that one next.

...& WOW at episode 4 being
a car crashes into the shop because the kids put a RC controller in it

After some time away, I ended up getting all the golds in Advanced Bat and Switch today (I had previously stopped at clearing all golds in Basic only). Oh and I gave Derby A another shot. I think I'm done now haha

RVpUEwu.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlQvl-Nlw

Now to decide which game to get next... :)
HOLY SHIT, is there a A+ ranking for the challenges or just the Hi-Score Derbys?

Please be just for the derbys. The thought of having to get A+ on all the challenges gives me the chills.
I'm fairly certain that the A+ only applies on the Derby modes.

Gsnap

What a nice little game. If people are going to continue making episodic/a la carte games, they should really look at this for inspiration. It's brilliant, really.

They're technically "in app purchases", but the app itself is free, and the purchases are the actual games, not junk within the games that you shouldn't have to pay for. So the game isn't actually forcing you to buy anything other than the game that you want to play, which you should have to pay for anyway. So the game isn't taking advantage of you like other "free to play" games are.

And the haggling mechanic is great simply because of the character it brings to the experience. Sometimes you feel accomplished because you got a great deal, sometimes you feel bad for taking advantage of Rusty. But you're always having fun because the characters and the dialogue are fun, quirky, and sometimes actually made me laugh.

Obviously this pricing model can't work with every game, but for a collection of mini-games it works really well. Buy what you want, not what you don't. And have fun doing it.

And so far, the games themselves are pretty fun and addicting. I've only bought two so far, and probably won't buy more for a while, but they do suck you in and make you wonder where the time went.

n64coder

After some time away, I ended up getting all the golds in Advanced Bat and Switch today (I had previously stopped at clearing all golds in Basic only). Oh and I gave Derby A another shot. I think I'm done now haha

Nice. So do you have any tips on batting? Are you good at getting homers or is the key to almost never miss? I feel that it's seems random if I get a homer or not. I mean, I can understand hitting it early or late but is there anything the controls the elevation?

What a nice little game. If people are going to continue making episodic/a la carte games, they should really look at this for inspiration. It's brilliant, really.

And so far, the games themselves are pretty fun and addicting. I've only bought two so far, and probably won't buy more for a while, but they do suck you in and make you wonder where the time went.

I bought all of the games. My favorite is just plain batting. It's relaxing to just make contact with the ball. I feel like a big league hitter when I'm nailing these super fast balls but then I mess up with a changeup or screwball. Yeah, it's all about timing.

The drop and pop game is tough with 4 colors/buttons. I guess I have to work on memorization of color to button to be able to go faster. I find myself thinking which color goes to which button at times.

All in all, it's super great value for $16. I think I actually spent $16.10 because for one of the games with the coupons, I got it down to $1.66 (rounded to $1.60) and couldn't be bothered to got below that. I admit I was skeptical when I saw this game in one of the Nintendo Directs but I'm glad to be proven wrong.

I feel that I need to get the word out that everyone should try this game.

Top Bottom