• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball | OT | Haggle for Peanuts and Crackerjack

n64coder

I just got a streetpass for Rusty today. Some guy named Yergen (or was it Jergen?). I fired up Rusty and scrolling through the games, I see that the green light for Bat & Switch, and Bat Master. He only did Derby B of Bat and Switch and we are tied at 72. There's one other person ahead of us at 223. I go to Bat Master and I see that he has a score of 400 easily beating my score around 200. Not that I put much effort into making a good bat because I didn't know that you could press Y to see how your bat matches the ideal template.

So I made a new bat that pretty closely follows the ideal bat except a bit more is taken off at the end (oops, dug in too deep). I tried it out and in the second round of hitting, I got 633ft which is good for A+. Woo hoo. I also discovered that hitting it to straight-away center makes it go the farthest (500-600+ versus pulling it to right or right center.

n64coder

If you want to get more Street Passes of Rusty, setup a home streetpass relay and use the Mac ID:

4E 53 50 4F 41 41

We'll start with just this Mac ID. If we find that we're getting a lot more people, we could always add more MacIDs.

If anyone has questions about setting up a relay, feel free to PM me. For myself, I just used an old router (Linksys WT54G) that I installed DD-WRT. Once DD-WRT is installed, I just went to Setup -> Mac Address Clone and make sure it's enabled, and then entered the Mac ID in the Clone Wireless MAC section. Apply Settings and wait a couple of minutes for the green light to show up. Oh, I almost forgot. the SSID needs to be attwifi

Here's a thread at Reddit on how to setup your own relay

donny2112

If you want to get more Street Passes of Rusty, setup a home streetpass relay and use the Mac ID:

4E 53 50 4F 41 41

If you're doing homepass, just let it go as normal. Have not had any problem filling up the queue on Rusty's Real Deal Baseball with just normal Homepass usage.

n64coder

If you're doing homepass, just let it go as normal. Have not had any problem filling up the queue on Rusty's Real Deal Baseball with just normal Homepass usage.

Which MacIDs have you been using? I have about 500 passes and only 6 for Rusty and only 3 had derby scores. I have no trouble maxing out Zelda LBW.

donny2112

Which MacIDs have you been using? I have about 500 passes and only 6 for Rusty and only 3 had derby scores. I have no trouble maxing out Zelda LBW.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gp0UkZlenp6SkJablE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=5

Then I extend that to FF, so that's 256 MACs to cycle through. My homepass switches every minute, as well, so when it's enabled, it's just massively pumping through hits. The one that took the longest to fill up that way was LEGO: The Lord of the Rings. Guess nobody else really bought that on 3DS. :p Rusty's not had a problem filling it up for me, though.

Edit:
That's the BASE256 option in the DD-WRT instructions, though, it's since been hardcoded to the system startup due to some temporary problems the website was having preventing Homepasses in early May.

donny2112

What are the 'must haves' for this?

I really liked fielding, but it was not easy, especially through Advanced. Umpiring was super easy, if you're familiar with the game, and it gives you a demo of it, if you're not sure about skipping it. Didn't like the "aiming your hit" portion, but don't recall what that was called. Probably just hit up Youtube for any game that seems interesting to get an idea how it plays.

iphys

What are the 'must haves' for this?

Cage Match is my favourite, but a lot of people recommend Make the Call. It's better to avoid Gear Games and Bat Master, and Quick Catch is supposedly the worst of the 6 games that unlock the story, so if you end up buying all the story games make that the last.

n64coder

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gp0UkZlenp6SkJablE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=5

Then I extend that to FF, so that's 256 MACs to cycle through. My homepass switches every minute, as well, so when it's enabled, it's just massively pumping through hits. The one that took the longest to fill up that way was LEGO: The Lord of the Rings. Guess nobody else really bought that on 3DS. :p Rusty's not had a problem filling it up for me, though.

Edit:
That's the BASE256 option in the DD-WRT instructions, though, it's since been hardcoded to the system startup due to some temporary problems the website was having preventing Homepasses in early May.

I'll have to take a closer look. I cycle through different MACs manually but I stop once I get 10 in the StreetPass Mii Plaza. So are you saying that I should continue to cycle even though I have 10 in order to max out on the Rusty Streepass? I didn't think that would work.

n64coder

Cage Match is my favourite, but a lot of people recommend Make the Call. It's better to avoid Gear Games and Bat Master, and Quick Catch is supposedly the worst of the 6 games that unlock the story, so if you end up buying all the story games make that the last.

Like you, Cage Match is my favorite. Second favorite is Bat & Switch followed by Make the Call, Volley Bats, and Drop & Pop.

I didn't care for Quick Catch or Feel the Glove. Gear Games is ok.

You can get all 10 for $16 total so it's not really a big deal to get them all IMO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll have to try that Streetpass Relay setup since I don't get a ton of them aside from going to college (which I'm on break at the moment) and the occasional McD's visit.

Buying the final game, Volley Bats, since I'm going to be on the road for about 4 hours total today. The outfit you get for buying all the games is kind of nice.

vid

I was debating whether or not I wanted to buy Bat & Switch and start down this rabbit hole, when my friend texted me a photo of the mostly empty stadium at the current Marlins game. I knew that Rusty would be sad. I knew what I had to do.

...boy, the sound of that bat sure is satisfying. If it weren't so perfect, this game wouldn't feel so good.

maxcriden

I was debating whether or not I wanted to buy Bat & Switch and start down this rabbit hole, when my friend texted me a photo of the mostly empty stadium at the current Marlins game. I knew that Rusty would be sad. I knew what I had to do.

...boy, the sound of that bat sure is satisfying. If it weren't so perfect, this game wouldn't feel so good.

The sound is really unreal in the feeling of baseball it evokes. It's almost too good!

donny2112

:lol Great! It's really a fun game, and all for $16 (or less, if the Streetpass coupons can bring it down more).

n64coder

I'm currently trying to complete gold basic challenges for volley bats but been having trouble with the football one. Any tips for this one? I'm currently stuck on silver for 20 hits.

Is it better to hit the football early to keep it fast and low or should I be hitting it late and lobbing it? I think the game penalizes you if you complete the challenge too slow but I'm not sure. I do get into a rhythm where on one side I hit it fast and low and the other side, high and slow but every so often, I mess up and it goes faster or slower than expected.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm so tempted to start buying the little games. How would you rate them all overall?

maxcriden

Man, I'm so tempted to start buying the little games. How would you rate them all overall?

I still need to even buy one game. I keep forgetting to get back around to this game after trying the free version. I feel bad, too, because n64coder is going to be expecting some Rusty's Streetpass data this weekend.

n64coder

I still need to even buy one game. I keep forgetting to get back around to this game after trying the free version. I feel bad, too, because n64coder is going to be expecting some Rusty's Streetpass data this weekend.

Ha ha ha. I guess I have a week to brace myself for the disappointment.

Cage Match, Volley Bats, Bat & Switch are highly recommended by me. I also liked Drop & Pop and Make the Call.

maxcriden

Ha ha ha. I guess I have a week to brace myself for the disappointment.

Cage Match, Volley Bats, Bat & Switch are highly recommended by me. I also liked Drop & Pop and Make the Call.

I'll really try to pick up one game this week. I feel bad that I haven't. :)

SomethingClever

Neo Member
that smells like 8-4. did they do the localization?

Bump...

No, your friendly neighborhood NOA localized this game. I wrote it, working with two excellent translators.

Glad to see the favorable responses to Rusty ITT!

n64coder

Bump...

No, your friendly neighborhood NOA localized this game. I wrote it, working with two excellent translators.

Great job with it. I just wished more people did the extra challenges so I could see their high scores on Streetpass.

How long did it take you to translate it? What are some other games that you translated?

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Great job with it. I just wished more people did the extra challenges so I could see their high scores on Streetpass.

How long did it take you to translate it? What are some other games that you translated?

Thanks! Recently, I worked on AC:NL, Mario Party: Island Tour, and Fantasy Life, although I'm not actually a translator. I rewrite text that's already been translated.

I can't remember exactly how long Rusty's took to localize from start to finish. Let's say... less time than Animal Crossing, but more time than Mario Party.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bump...

Great work!

terrisus

Thanks! Recently, I worked on AC:NL, Mario Party: Island Tour, and Fantasy Life, although I'm not actually a translator. I rewrite text that's already been translated.

I can't remember exactly how long Rusty's took to localize from start to finish. Let's say... less time than Animal Crossing, but more time than Mario Party.

Fantasy Life, that's a game I'm really looking forward to. We so seldom get games like that over here, that I hadn't actually been expecting us to get it at all. And when I found out we were, I was really excited by it.

Definitely looks like a very text-heavy game (as Animal Crossing is as well, and that had been another game I never expected us to get, hence why I imported Doubutsu no Mori for N64), so thanks for all the work you do on all of those =)

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Fantasy Life, that's a game I'm really looking forward to. We so seldom get games like that over here, that I hadn't actually been expecting us to get it at all. And when I found out we were, I was really excited by it.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how people respond to FL. It's really fun, and one of the deepest games I've ever played.

Sapiens

I completely ignored this game when it first came out and I'm really mad at myself for not finding it sooner (it showed up on AVCLUB's best of games list).

Really amazing fun and it reminds me of playing stuff like Wario Ware 1 and Rhythm Tengoku for the first time on GBA.

I wish there was a boat load more stuff like this on the 3DS - really special.

maxcriden

I haven't played the game much, and didn't end up playing it beyond the demo (yet, at least), but it really has inspired me to negotiate and haggle more often, which I genuinely enjoy.

n64coder

I haven't played this game in awhile but I loved it. I get streetpasses occasionally and am disappointed when there are no high scores with it.

A couple of weeks ago, someone streetpassed me with high scores for almost every game. That made my day! I'm still the grand champion for Bat Master and You Make the Call. My favorite game is still the Cage Match.

n64coder

Haven't played this in awhile. Picked it up again to play Cage Match. My previous high score was 120. I played 15 times today and got my best score ever.

245!

I was on a roll. I made it to level 7 where it was smoke and then fastballs popping out. It was too much for me. Now I'm number one in my streetpass list for this particular contest.

n64coder

Played Cage Match Challenge A again last night and got my best score yet. 340! My previous high was 270. I got to the 10th challenge which is Super Sliders or something like that.

zlCfzTOpQVYq5uO1N6

Once I got past the 7th challenge which is Stormy or something like that (fastballs that pop out of the cloud), the challenges were pretty easy so I think I could have gotten past the 10th if I didn't mess up a couple of times. I wonder if this challenge has an end or a final boss?

I guess I'll keep playing to find out. I'm probably playing this 3-4 times every other night. It's hard to put down sometimes!

maxcriden

Played Cage Match Challenge A again last night and got my best score yet. 340! My previous high was 270. I got to the 10th challenge which is Super Sliders or something like that.

zlCfzTOpQVYq5uO1N6

Once I got past the 7th challenge which is Stormy or something like that (fastballs that pop out of the cloud), the challenges were pretty easy so I think I could have gotten past the 10th if I didn't mess up a couple of times. I wonder if this challenge has an end or a final boss?

I guess I'll keep playing to find out. I'm probably playing this 3-4 times every other night. It's hard to put down sometimes!

You really need a Rusty Superfan tag at this point. This thread has 27K+ views at this point so I'm guessing your praise for the game is responsible for quite a few sales. ;)

n64coder

You really need a Rusty Superfan tag at this point. This thread has 27K+ views at this point so I'm guessing your praise for the game is responsible for quite a few sales. ;)

Ha ha. What I like about the game is that it's easy to play for 10-15 minutes and then put it down. I need more of those type of games versus the ones that you have to sink 60-90 minutes per session.

I now have the top score in my Streetpass community for Cage Match Challenge B. The previous high score by someone in Japan is 156mph.

zlCfzTPR8SI1jSR8Jg

I've been chipping away at the regular challenges for cage match. I have them all completed but I'm trying to get gold for all of the basic & advanced challenges. Wow, that's tough. I think I have 6 challenges to change from silver to gold. Not sure if I'll ever get there but I'll keep trying.

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Ha ha. What I like about the game is that it's easy to play for 10-15 minutes and then put it down. I need more of those type of games versus the ones that you have to sink 60-90 minutes per session.

I now have the top score in my Streetpass community for Cage Match Challenge B. The previous high score by someone in Japan is 156mph.

zlCfzTPR8SI1jSR8Jg

Have you done this yet?

BnsjchiIEAADTEv.jpg

That's on Bat & Switch Hi-Score Derby A. :D

n64coder

Have you done this yet?

BnsjchiIEAADTEv.jpg

Wow, that's a great score. Is it yours? I have played Derby A but I think my score is somewhere around 150. I haven't played it as much as Cage Match. I probably can do better but no way will I ever hit 999. My reflexes are not that good.

terrisus

Have you done this yet?

BnsjchiIEAADTEv.jpg

image.php

Rusty is posting on GAF now :þ

EDIT: Oh, wait, I remember now:

Definitely looks like a very text-heavy game (as Animal Crossing is as well, and that had been another game I never expected us to get, hence why I imported Doubutsu no Mori for N64), so thanks for all the work you do on all of those =)

n64coder

EDIT: Oh, wait, I remember now:

Damn, your memory is good. I forgot about his background.

I bought Fantasy Life for myself but haven't been able to play it. I let my daughter play it over April vacation and she's still in the middle of playing. She loves the game.

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Wow, that's a great score. Is it yours? I have played Derby A but I think my score is somewhere around 150. I haven't played it as much as Cage Match. I probably can do better but no way will I ever hit 999. My reflexes are not that good.

Yup, that's me.

I can't remember what my Cage Match scores are off the top of my head. I think the fastball one is slower than yours...but I know the other one is pretty good. I'll have to look 'em up.

Top Bottom