• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.C. teacher on administrative leave after KKK-themed homework assignment

prag16

Banned
It is not acceptable in anyway. It's like you're saying a history course asking the question why the Nazi's genociding Jews was justifiable. In no way is that an acceptable way to approach that type of question.

This particular situation is definitely too far, especially for 10 year olds. But I don't think history should be censored in the way you seem to be advocating. It's important to talk about the motivations of... yes... both sides. This does mean you're saying the clearly wrong/misguided side is right.. E.g. the U.S. Civil War. Would you prefer students of all ages are simply taught "yeah the south was a bunch of goddamn racists" and leave it at that?

I was going to say that teaching small kids about the KKK, their history, and what they believe in is a good thing so that they can stand against their racist platforms and help drive out their kind in the future. But this? How the fuck does a homework assignment like this even get approved? Asking any kid to try and understand or justify the KKK's is really fucked up.

Protein

Banned
Pros and cons of slavery.

Pros and cons of rape.

Pros and cons of police brutality.

'Both sides' moderate parents exploding in their pants.

cN3U7GA.jpg

On its face, I don't know if there's really anything wrong with teaching kids about the things horrible groups believe and expecting them to understand why horrible people believe it. I definitely learned about this shit in school, and it's what taught me to recognize and reject racist groups.

And the framing of the question - put yourself in the shoes of these people whose beliefs you don't hold, and then explain what they believe - is a common strategy teachers use to check whether students are able to understand different perspectives, rather than just parrot outside value judgments on those perspectives. That's a valuable tool when you want religious kids to understand atheists (for example), or Christians to understand Muslims, or even white kids to understand the oppression of minorities, etc. It's the difference between someone being able to say what their parents told them about Islam vs. using firsthand Islamic sources to explain what Islam believes.

I get why someone would want to use that tactic to teach people about racism, too, even though I agree that it's obviously not appropriate framing for 10-year-olds. It's more effective at the high school or college level when you can expect kids to think more critically.

It's the fact that that question is paired with the one immediately following it that raises a ton of red flags about the teacher's intent - in addition to their methods. First, you ask kids to think from the KKK's perspective, then you ask them whether black people had it okay after emancipation? What kind of critical thinking are you trying to instill in them?

edit: Here's more or less the progression I could imagine a teacher having in mind when framing an assignment like this-

(5th grade standard for Reading Comprehension for Informational Texts)
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.6
Analyze multiple accounts of the same event or topic, noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent.

(6th grade standard for History/Social Studies)
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RH.6-8.2
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.

Obviously this teacher either didn't think this one through or really had some kind of malicious intent.

Neece

This particular situation is definitely too far, especially for 10 year olds. But I don't think history should be censored in the way you seem to be advocating. It's important to talk about the motivations of... yes... both sides. This does mean you're saying the clearly wrong/misguided side is right.. E.g. the U.S. Civil War. Would you prefer students of all ages are simply taught "yeah the south was a bunch of goddamn racists" and leave it at that?

He didn't say history should be censored. He said you shouldn't ask students to justify genocide (in the Nazi example). You can teach about motivations, ideaologies, and world views without justifying abhorrent actions.

What are they going to do when they get to the Rape of Nanking, and then get tasked with justifying why it was okay for the Japanese to rape and massacre thousands of women? Then get to Emmett Till and justify why it was okay to murder and mutilate him?

At that point, you are giving equal time sympathizing with evil, and instilling a "both sides are right" framework, or that finding a justification, any justification is good enough to equal out the differences of conflict.

shiba5

You can talk about the motivations of the KKK without being asked to justify them! That wording is all fucked up. "Hey, let's try emphasizing with these racists. Maybe they aren't so wrong?"
And the kid's answer for the last question makes me raise an eyebrow too. Is the teacher telling the kids that freed slaves got lots of handouts?

Edit: Neece said it better.

I started at the top and was like, "seems reasonable, seems reasonable .... NOT REASONABLE NOT REASONABLE"

EDIT:

I don't remember how the topic of being a freedman was handled when I was young. It seems like one of those questions that's white washed for youth and then as you get older you're provided more context for how a freed slave would feel. Kinda like Christopher Columbus or the first Pilgrims.

ISOM

Talking about motivations is one thing, empathisizing with how these terror groups decide on their victims is another. As I said in the response you quoted, the way the question was asked was inappropriate.

Slayven

You can talk about motivations without having children justify the lynching of black people as a thought expertment

RPGCrazied

DeVos must be proud! And this is what happens when you elect someone like Trump into office.

Elections have consequences.

"This is my little 10-year-old nephew's homework assignment today. He's home crying right now," he wrote. "How can she ask a fifth grader to justify the actions of the KKK?"

Wow, that teacher must be a real bastard. The kid was literally crying...

EDIT:

I don't remember how the topic of being a freedman was handled when I was young. It seems like one of those questions that's white washed for youth and then as you get older you're provided more context for how a freed slave would feel. Kinda like Christopher Columbus or the first Pilgrims.

I'm pretty sure we covered it in 5th grade when I was a kid. I remember learning about how indentured servitude was pretty close to slavery 2.0.

It's kind of weird that the teacher is framing the question as "is life better for you as a freedman?" for sure, though, given the trend today for racists to argue that black people never really had it all that bad and/or that slavery being over means they have no unique problems. Maybe the teacher's intent was to undercut that idea, but pairing these two questions together in an exercise explicitly about the KKK feels really suspect to me.

Is there anything that states or suggests the teacher's reasoning for including this question? Obviously it was a very bad idea, but I feel like this could be a situation like other bad homework stuff that has come up recently in that it's a massively misguided attempt at being ”woke."

The ability to explain multiple historical viewpoints without inserting your own viewpoint is a Common Core standard.

Of course, there are probably ways to check for this without saying "put yourself in their shoes" (so of course people are right to be super pissed!) but I know that's a strategy that gets deployed a lot to signal to kids that they're being asked to explain other people's perspectives.

Is there anything that states or suggests the teacher’s reasoning for including this question? Obviously it was a very bad idea, but I feel like this could be a situation like other bad homework stuff that has come up recently in that it’s a massively misguided attempt at being “woke.”

This is more lazy copy paste teaching, I don't believe it too be malicious, judging from the questions and talking points.

I think the point was teaching why they were bad, although the laziness is irresponsible when dealing with such a heavy subject.

zeioIIDX

I fucking dare my daughter's 3rd grade teacher to give her a worksheet like that. Wow. That it utterly terrible.

I get why someone would want to use that tactic to teach people about racism, too, even though I agree that it's obviously not appropriate framing for 10-year-olds. It's more effective at the high school or college level when you can expect kids to think more critically.

It's the fact that that question is paired with the one immediately following it that raises a ton of red flags about the teacher's intent - in addition to their methods. First, you ask kids to think from the KKK's perspective, then you ask them whether black people had it okay after emancipation? What kind of critical thinking are you trying to instill in them?
I can't quite tell, so maybe you agree: Critical thinking using the KKK's perspective is problematic in itself. The "answer" to that homework question can literally only be hateful lies. Hmmmm, do they have a point?! How to they feel??? The answer is pure delusional hate with the only solution being mass murder of minorities. It's a simple idea with no gray area that has failed again and again, and does not require any consideration in modern society; only complete rejection.

Critical thinking has a goal-- to open the minds of people who are closed-off. It's to challenge your ideas and, hopefully, adopt perspectives to make people's lives better or think in new ways about the world.

Critically thinking about what causes such racist ideas, good. But pretending to think from that perspective? A complete waste and, obviously, hurtful to people.

Maybe the teacher didn't realize, but that's so hard for me to believe. It would take 5 seconds to answer that question yourself before giving it to students-- children, in this case.

Skilletor

People in here defending a teacher asking a black student to justify why the KKK wants them dead.

Racism doesn't have to be malicious to be racism.

White supremacy is a helluva drug.

The "You are a member of the KKK" section is the only part that I have an issue with....its pretty stupid. Why would you ask a child to justify the KKK?

Downhome

DeVos must be proud! And this is what happens when you elect someone like Trump into office.

Elections have consequences.

I know, right? There have never been news stories about teachers handing out racist or at least suspect homework, lessons, or lectures before Trump was elected.

Kreed

Justify why you would hate black people is not a critical thinking assignment

Not in high school, not in college, not anywhere.

This is what keeps getting swept under the rug when discussing groups like the KKK and Nazis as a "political belief". These people committed horrible acts/want to continue committing horrible acts against society as a group. You'd never see a teacher come up with an assignment where a question like...

"You are there...you are a serial killer. Why do you think your crimes against your victims and familes are justified?"

..and try to justify it with some "both sides" nonsense.

I don't really know how to interpret this...

I kinda see it as a spring board for having a conversation about the topic but also, they are very young and these concepts might not be fully graspable... so probably not the best idea...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
People in here defending a teacher asking a black student to justify why the KKK wants them dead.

Racism doesn't have to be malicious to be racism.

White supremacy is a helluva drug.

I haven't seen a single post defending what the teacher did. Some have pointed out that they believe his intentions perhaps weren't motivated by racism but instead by ignorance and ineptitude. But nobody is saying what he did was remotely OK.

Andodalf

Banned
Probably too young for this type of Question, but putting yourself into others shoes for a question like that is a very common practice in History. It's not saying that they are Justified, It's asking the students to provide the reasons that the KKK used to justify it to themselves. I had a similar question on a test in my Upper-Level History class on the Civil Rights movement in Uni this past week. Knowing how they convinced themselves they were right is massively important in how to avoid such issues in the present.

Cocaloch

Probably too young for this type of Question, but putting yourself into others shoes for a question like that is a very common practice in History. It's not saying that they are Justified, It's asking the students to provide the reasons that the KKK used to justify it to themselves. I had a similar question on a test in my Upper-Level History class on the Civil Rights movement in Uni this past week. Knowing how they convinced themselves they were right is massively important in how to avoid such issues in the present.

Yup. This is wrong because it's framed poorly and 5th graders are probably too young for the material. The core concept of attempting to get students to think about the motivations and understandings of historical actors is pretty central to historical thought....

I think people in this thread are fundamentally misunderstanding the question. It isn't justify their actions, it's asking how they justified, and I think this is poor diction, their actions. That's not a value judgement, people tend to feel their actions are justified regardless of if we think they are.

Teaching about the KKK and its purpose, and how it affected the lives of its victims, seem like totally fair game and are important. But "imagine you're a KKK member" is probably not the most appropriate way to handle it with 5th graders.

I'm pretty sure we covered it in 5th grade when I was a kid. I remember learning about how indentured servitude was pretty close to slavery 2.0.

It's kind of weird that the teacher is framing the question as "is life better for you as a freedman?" for sure, though, given the trend today for racists to argue that black people never really had it all that bad and/or that slavery being over means they have no unique problems. Maybe the teacher's intent was to undercut that idea, but pairing these two questions together in an exercise explicitly about the KKK feels really suspect to me.

Ohh the whole thing is rediculous both sides racist bullahit due to the justification question. It's just the last question made me wonder about my childhood, and I couldn't remember how the topic was covered for me. I don't remember specifics, just that more and more context was provided as I grew older. The concept of systemic racism wasn't ever brought up until college, and it came in a Human Resources class at that.

zashga

You are there... You are a South Carolina elementary school teacher in the unemployment line because you sent ten year olds home with a KKK assignment. How do you defend your actions?

"People who know me know there's not a racist bone in my body!"

ryan13ts

I get the feeling that this was potentially a really badly worded/thought out assignment rather than just a malicious attempt to get kids to justify the KKK. Then again, the teacher could just be racist trash, it's hard to tell without more context.

Top Bottom