• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung is adding Steam Link functionality to their latest line of Smart TVs

chadskin

Samsung is adding Steam Link functionality directly to their latest line of Smart TVs.

If you are in the United States and have a 2016 or 2017 Samsung UHD TV, we'd like to invite you to help test the Steam Link App, now available as a free beta from the Samsung Smart Hub.

The App uses the same streaming technology as Valve's Steam Link, allowing users to play their favorite games, and even spectate VR games on the HTC Vive, wherever they watch TV.

During the beta, playback of 1080p video at 60 FPS and support for the Steam Controller are included. For worldwide release later this summer, support for streaming 4K resolutions and additional controllers will be added.

Note: Streaming to the TV requires a Steam Controller and a high-quality network, at least 5GHz. A wired network is strongly recommended.

Please let us know how this is working for you and post feedback and questions on the Steam Link discussion forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1326721370061177145

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Keep making it easier and easier Valve. Let that argument of "I just want to play on my television and couch" fade away even more.

Gowans

awesome, might get rid of the PC under the TV and use the beast from my office, tho I'll probably need a powerline network cable for upstairs.

Awesome little bonus for my new KS8000.

reKon

Banned
If this comes to the KS8000, I win again.

Such a good idea to purchase this from Costco. This will be my main TV set for at least 5+ years. Next TV will be when OLED prices are way down and razor thin sets aren't multiple thousands.

Hasney

They announced this back at Steam Dev Days, but glad it's more fleshed out now. Hope more TV makers implement it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nice!
Hopefully it works with my KU6000 TV.

Shame that it requires a Steam Controller though, because I don't have one :(

Yudoken

Not in eu/germany for now? =/

Hopefully this will be soon be here too.
And they need to support Xbox 360 wireless dongles and bluetooth devices like DS3 and DS4.

I'm not sure if Xbone dongles can be supported. Hopefully those too.

ViciousDS

Banned
oh wow

my KS8000 gets steam link built in

thats fucking awesome

edit: steam controller only....gross

guess I'll wait for xbox one controller implementation in the full release

If I'm not in the US, would this work if I have a samsung US account? I never bothered with that but might do so now. I've got a KU6000 at the moment.

Platy

Requiring the steam controller kills it for me.

I will keep using a crap notebook with a broken screen connected to the tv

Strakt

wow just tried this on my tv; was able to stream tekken 7 from my PC to TV ; all i had to do was connect my fight stick to the usb port.. works perfectly with sound and everything!! AMAZING

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
wow just tried this on my tv; was able to stream tekken 7 from my PC to TV ; all i had to do was connect my fight stick to the usb port.. works perfectly with sound and everything!! AMAZING

So it's not just steam controller?

NimbusD

Pretty cool! Though my TV is close enough to my PC that a long HDMI cable is a much easier setup than a wired network connection. Maybe one day when I have a larger apt.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It just so happens that our living room TV is starting to go. Samsung, you literally just won my business. This is incredible!!

inner-G

Banned
Holy shit!

Just downloaded on my $999 65" KU6290

I think I need to troubleshoot though, it says 'no host computers found'

My PC and TV are both on ethernet

JambiBum

no when u start the application on ur tv, theres an option for steam controller OR any other controller that uses USB

For whatever reason it didn't detect my xbox one controller through usb. I guess I could try a 360 controller to see if that works.

Top Bottom