• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung is adding Steam Link functionality to their latest line of Smart TVs

Obi

Neo Member
Holy shit!

Just downloaded on my $999 65" KU6290

I think I need to troubleshoot though, it says 'no host computers found'

My PC and TV are both on ethernet

Nice! I have a KU6290 and I figured it wouldn't work because that TV doesn't have Bluetooth. I guess it uses the USB connection for controllers then?

inner-G

Banned
Nice! I have a KU6290 and I figured it wouldn't work because that TV doesn't have Bluetooth. I guess it uses the USB connection for controllers then?

My wired 360 controller was recognized immediately

No go on XBO controller either wired or via USB dongle

TV still can't see my PC though, 'no host computer found', but I can browse the media files on my computer over the network via the smart TV itself(?)

pushbyte

Neo Member
Neat, but I wish Valve would release a Steam Link 2 that supports h.265 decoding. h.264 smudges the details on anything complex at the bitrates the Steam Link is capable of decoding (see: Witcher 3's grass). I also play on a very large screen (projected 125"), so my sensitivity to the artifacts is more pronounced than what one might detect on a 50" flat screen.

Nzyme32

So it's not just steam controller?

The components for Steam Controller compatibility is all built into the TVs. You'll just have to use a dongle or USB cable for other controllers. That could change depending on how far their app goes perhaps in future

AlanOC91

This is awesome. My KU6100 doesn't have Bluetooth though by the looks of it :( I can't imagine the SC dongle will work either would it?

postaboy

Just tested the steam link app on both of my Samsung TVs using Sony Dualshock 4 controller and Hori Mini Fighting stick. Works great so far. I have a 65" KS85000 which is a rebadged KS8000 in the living room and a 40" KU6290 in my bedroom. The KS85000 is wifi connected. My KU6290 is wired.

Note: I have an official PS4 USB dongle but it didn't work for me. It works if you use the USB cable or via Bluetooth (KS85000).

Tip: If you have problems detecting your PC in your network, try to do this after installing the Steam Link App: 1) Turn off TV, 2) Remove the power cord 3) Leave it out for 30 secs 4) Plug it back in and restart the Steam Link App. 5) Connect your USB controller

f02f6135cd.jpg

f02f4dead4.jpg

f02f5d7a0f.jpg

f02f6a819d.jpg

Geedorah

Just gave it a go via wireless and honestly compared to the Steam Link I have sitting right next to it, I noticed less stuttering and a better picture all-in-all. Can't wait for proper dongle support, the Steam Controller just isn't for me.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Have been using for a bit on my KU6000 (via Powerline Ethernet... which are connected via power strips so lol) and it works mighty fine all things considered. It runs a test when you first connect, and it did warn me about it being far from optimal along with lag numbers, so that's nice.

If I'm not in the US, would this work if I have a samsung US account? I never bothered with that but might do so now. I've got a KU6000 at the moment.
I want this, have a 2016 Samsung TV, but don't live in the US. :(
No need to be in the US, and changing regions in these TV is quite simple. You can't mix and match content from different regions though, and it does delete all apps you already have installed along with their data so you'll need to log in again.

Requiring the steam controller kills it for me.

I will keep using a crap notebook with a broken screen connected to the tv
Not sure why it says that, have been using it with a wired X360 controller and a KB+M (via those Logitech Unifying Receivers), and they both work fine.
Bonus for KB+M is that you can just minimize the BPM and use your desktop as usual, which is incredibly useful

Was able to change my reason very easily. Had to go to the set and at the terms of service screen, go mute, volume up, channel up, mute and it lets me change country.

turns out this TV doesn't have bluetooth so I would need to use something else in order to get my Dualshock4 working. I'll stick to my old Steam Link but it would be great to have this once it's out for 4K support.

Anyone managed to get a wireless DS4 working? Perhaps with an off brand dongle?

Maddrical

This is definitely something that would make me buy a Samsung TV next, I've been eyeing off a Steam Link but I know it's supposed to be pretty shit on wireless.

I like my Panasonic but hate the clunky & slow menus. Literally don't use any apps on it because it's so slow.

I do think that picture quality is improved over the steam link - I tested Hitman (paris showstopper level) and the blacks had a little more detail. On fast moving games, it didn't look any better. Sprinting in Talos Principle looked like a youtube video.

Holding out for HEVC

Was able to change my reason very easily. Had to go to the set and at the terms of service screen, go mute, volume up, channel up, mute and it lets me change country.

turns out this TV doesn't have bluetooth so I would need to use something else in order to get my Dualshock4 working. I'll stick to my old Steam Link but it would be great to have this once it's out for 4K support.

Anyone managed to get a wireless DS4 working? Perhaps with an off brand dongle?

DS4 works by USB connected to one connect box if that works for you. However I need to play with it to see if it can bring in my DS4 profile because right now it's just a generic controller with Xinput support. It doesn't show the DS4 buttons in Big Picture Mode by default.

Anyone getting surround sound from this?

DS4 works by USB connected to one connect box if that works for you. However I need to play with it to see if it can bring in my DS4 profile because right now it's just a generic controller with Xinput support. It doesn't show the DS4 buttons in Big Picture Mode by default.

Anyone getting surround sound from this?

I don't think you would be getting the DS4 prompts. Steam would use wrap around it and turn it into Xinout for better compatibility or am I wrong? That's how it's worked for my Steam Link.

What's a connect box? You mean the TV? That works for me but I'd rather use a wireless controller. I guess I'll stick to my steam link for now.

I don't think you would be getting the DS4 prompts. Steam would use wrap around it and turn it into Xinout for better compatibility or am I wrong? That's how it's worked for my Steam Link.

What's a connect box? You mean the TV? That works for me but I'd rather use a wireless controller. I guess I'll stick to my steam link for now.

I get the DS4 buttons in Big Picture Mode while playing on PC as well as in the games that support it.

The connect box is that little Samsung box that has the HDMI and USB ports on it that then runs to the TV itself. In any case I think it runs well enough and since Steam Link doesn't support 4k like this app will eventually, I'll stick with it.

I get the DS4 buttons in Big Picture Mode while playing on PC as well as in the games that support it.

The connect box is that little Samsung box that has the HDMI and USB ports on it that then runs to the TV itself. In any case I think it runs well enough and since Steam Link doesn't support 4k like this app will eventually, I'll stick with it.

Yeah, the 4K Streaming makes me want to use it instead. I guess I'll see what I'm more comfortable with. Mine doesn't have that fancy box thing. I'll try using a bluetooth dongle that's already synced with the DS4, see if that works.

dcx4610

Interesting. So the App will end up supporting 4K while the Steam Link itself does not?

Also, you can already use Bluetooth controllers? I take it you have to pair the controller with the TV?

Can anyone with a Steam Link compare the app vs. the hardware? Wondering if I should ditch the hardware if the app is going to work better which is pretty amazing.

Crisium

KS8000 users,

I have never used the apps feature (kept the TV disconnected). Updated firmware today, installed the basic apps and browsed to Steam. Install is greyed out and it says "Smart hub is being downloaded please wait". But checking my router I can see that there is no activity from the TV; nothing is being updated. Any advice?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The only annoying thing I've found is that the remote gets disabled while being connected to a PC via Steam Link, so you can't control your volume or anything like that while that's on.

What am I missing here? I have a Samsung JS6400 which I believe is 2016 but I'm not finding this app, help?
Sadly that TV is from 2015, so you won't find it.
Samsung's series (the first letter in the model) go like this:
A - 2008
B - 2009
C - 2010
D - 2011
E - 2012
F - 2013
H - 2014
J - 2015
K - 2016
M or Q - 2017

The only annoying thing I've found is that the remote gets disabled while being connected to a PC via Steam Link, so you can't control your volume or anything like that while that's on.

Sadly that TV is from 2015, so you won't find it.
Samsung's series (the first letter in the model) go like this:
A - 2008
B - 2009
C - 2010
D - 2011
E - 2012
F - 2013
H - 2014
J - 2015
K - 2016
M or Q - 2017

UGHHHHHHH

Vitacat

I have a Sony Tv with Android Tv built in. Is Steam Link something that could be ported to that, do you think? And is it likely to happen?

Obi

Neo Member
I have a Sony Tv with Android Tv built in. Is Steam Link something that could be ported to that, do you think? And is it likely to happen?

Samsung TVs run their own OS called Tizen. So you wouldn't be able to run this app under android. Someone would have to code an Android version from scratch. I don't see why it couldn't be done. Seems like it's mostly decoding video and passing input back to the computer. I haven't heard of any plans for an Android app though.

AlanOC91

Awesome the steam controller dongle works perfectly with my KU6100. Plugged it in and synced easily with my controller.

This app seems to work excellently well. I'm blown away by how well it works.

Obi

Neo Member
I hope they get it working with other wireless dongles soon. The steam controller seems okay, but I play a lot of old games that require a D-Pad.

louiedog

I hope they get it working with other wireless dongles soon. The steam controller seems okay, but I play a lot of old games that require a D-Pad.

Is your couch within wireless controller range of your PC? I've been messing around with it using my 360 pad connected to my desktop.

IMACOMPUTA

I can't get this to do anything more than 720p. Anyone else have that issue? I set it to 1080p or display res and it stays 720p. Looks like shit.

aajohnny

I have no idea how to get this to work. It can't find my host computer. Any ideas? DO I have to plug something into my router or something?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Used this to play some Doom tonight. I can't believe how nice it is. I'm using a cheap TV, too. Only paid $300 for it.

Hooked a DS4 with a USB cable and it just worked right away. Was responsive enough to play Doom perfectly, and with no framerate issues or artifacts. I'm using a wired connection and have the quality set to Beautiful in the app settings.

Obi

Neo Member
Tip: If you have problems detecting your PC in your network, try to do this after installing the Steam Link App: 1) Turn off TV, 2) Remove the power cord 3) Leave it out for 30 secs 4) Plug it back in and restart the Steam Link App. 5) Connect your USB controller

Thanks a bunch! This got it working for me. I've got a steam link I compared it to.(both wired) I used Spelunky, a game I'm pretty familiar with how the movement feels. Stat-wise they were similar (0% Packet loss, <1ms input lag, ~14ms display lag, roughly 15000 kbit/sec bitrate)

On the steam link everything was pretty much perfect. The Samsung movement and lag was fine too, except every few seconds there was a tiny stutter. It'd be perfectly playable if it didn't also affect the audio. I think this is probably a problem with their decoder as a couple of times mpeg artifacts slowly filled my screen. But hey it's only a beta. I'm hopeful they'll fix it. I'm really excited for the the upcoming 4k support. I wonder if there's gonna be a new 4k steam link anytime soon.

Is your couch within wireless controller range of your PC? I've been messing around with it using my 360 pad connected to my desktop.
Unfortunately not. Good idea though!

AlanOC91

Thanks a bunch! This got it working for me. I've got a steam link I compared it to.(both wired) I used Spelunky, a game I'm pretty familiar with how the movement feels. Stat-wise they were similar (0% Packet loss, <1ms input lag, ~14ms display lag, roughly 15000 kbit/sec bitrate)

On the steam link everything was pretty much perfect. The Samsung movement and lag was fine too, except every few seconds there was a tiny stutter. It'd be perfectly playable if it didn't also affect the audio. I think this is probably a problem with their decoder as a couple of times mpeg artifacts slowly filled my screen. But hey it's only a beta. I'm hopeful they'll fix it. I'm really excited for the the upcoming 4k support. I wonder if there's gonna be a new 4k steam link anytime soon.

Unfortunately not. Good idea though!

I've noticed the small audio glitches too. Only small down-side I found with the app so far.

Audio never really glitched for me ever on the Steam Link.

riflen

I and others have got an audio glitch with steam in home streaming. It was short and at a consistent interval.
The cause was a mismatch in the audio sample rate of the host and the client. I had my host PC using 48000 hz and the client 44000. Setting both to 44000 solved this.
Are there any settings in the TV cfg or steam link app for audio sample rate?

AlanOC91

I and others have got an audio glitch with steam in home streaming. It was short and at a consistent interval.
The cause was a mismatch in the audio sample rate of the host and the client. I had my host PC using 48000 hz and the client 44000. Setting both to 44000 solved this.
Are there any settings in the TV cfg or steam link app for audio sample rate?

Nope just checked. The only settings is being able to set "fast, balanced, beautiful"

IMACOMPUTA

I just checked this app out and I can select 2160p in the settings. So I assume it got updated to support 4k?
Problem is, when I use that mode my screen is all crazy and has a green bar taking up half the screen. Anyone else able to try?

Edit: actually the whole thing is broken for me now, no matter what resolution I choose. Hm.

Edit: also my ds4 is working with this over bluetooth. I don't think it did before, but the buttons are all wrong.

enishi

Finally I can find the steam link app in my region after Worldwide RC

But the app cannot find the Steam PC, with both connected to the same network.

PC: Using wifi connection
TV: Wired connection

My TV is UA50KU6300, which is simple UHD TV (I thought KU6300 refers to curve TV in other regions?)

Does anyone have similar issue, or any idea to solve it?

Thank you.

------

Edit: Issue solved, reset the router and everything is ok.

orava

The beta appeared to EU models. Works as intended. Well on another pc, it just didn't go past the computer selection screen after asking the pin code.

tolkir

The beta appeared to EU models. Works as intended. Well on another pc, it just didn't go past the computer selection screen after asking the pin code.

Installed and works flawless. Which gamepad works on Samsung TV?

PS3 Dualshock doesn't work.

IMACOMPUTA

When I try to steam in 4k the tv pops up with a message "4k not supported" and then i get a black screen. Wtf?

Edit: Oops. I have a KS8000 and 2016 models don't support 4k streaming (yet).

sueil

Run into a bit of a problem I'm not sure how to fix. In MGS V when I fire a gun I get slowdown on the TV but the game is running fine on the computer next to it that I am watching to compare. Same thing happens with using the grapple gun in Arkham Knight. But hand to hand combat in Arkham Knight causes no problems and neither does flight. The fast balance beautiful settings don't seem to help in any way. I have the TV and PC and router all hard wired with gigabit connections (not sure what the TV has though Ks8000).

I brought the stats page up and everything seems to be running fine but when I take one of those actions I get dropped frames.

I have a 6700k 32 GB DDR 4 ram and a 1080 so running MGS V at 1080p shouldn't really be an issue even when streaming. I also don't have this kind of lag when I stream wirelessly to my surface book.

Top Bottom