• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
CJw_JmcUMAAiyis.jpg:large

The Lamp

Using this space as my personal grief space because no one around me understands why this is a big deal to me.

I had considered the idea of Iwata stepping down to let some fresh new ideas for company direction to take hold, but I still wanted him to be involved with Nintendo. But he's gone. Completely gone. I still can't fathom that. I can't believe that I will never see a Nintendo Direct with his smiling face and charming Japanese accent ever again. He felt the need to put smiles on faces. What other executive films an action video where he's fighting a colleague?

What a special man we have lost. I will wake up tomorrow to a completely different Nintendo.

Striek

Damn, did not expect this. I didn't like the direction he took Nintendo but theres no denying he was an innovator, shrewd businessman and truly loved videogames as much as anyone possibly can. He was unique and important to the gaming landscape. Best wishes to his family and may he rest in peace.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Terrible news to wake up to...

RIP, Iwata, the Directs won't be the same without your cheerful Japanese politeness. Nobody can say you didn't have a passion for what you did.

Go_Ly_Dow

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

Do it Evilore : )

Younger than mine if he were actually still alive.

I'm more distressed though to realize that Miyamoto will die someday too.
I like to think Miyamoto is going to retire one day and pass away on his own terms.

A lot of what makes Iwata's passing so shocking is that, a week ago, he was still head of Nintendo. Nothing had changed, as far as we knew. Now he's gone.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Holy Shit!
I just now heard about it..
omg..

i wasnt much of a nintendo gamer in recent years anymore, but man, this hit me.

all so sudden?
i was under the impression that he was recovering?!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo's path down Iwata's road is set, the NX is set and it will be his legacy (and the unification of their development arms will live on for a long, long time as a great boon to the company). They're not an American company, the decisions weren't one man's, and they'll honor his wishes. Most of the power was in the hands of like-minded individuals (since they bought back their stock from Yamauchi).

What they need, now, is some time to themselves to recover, regroup, and start anew.

Agreed.

Bulzeeb

Nintendo needs to release a limited edition, super-rare Iwata amiibo.

He's not a developer. You're confusing the many Morimoto's at Nintendo.

What? Iwata was a superb coder

CJwL7B6WUAAYSSX.jpg

he also debugged Smash Bros melee by himself to avoid a delay and launch the game on the date they were targeting

Ziocyte

This is heart breaking news. It is really amazing how someone that I have never met can have such an impact by virtue of being a large part of something I care so deeply about. Thank you. RIP.

Brofield

I need to go to bed, I think. I can only stay up so late holding back from waking up to a different Nintendo when the sun rises.

God, this just isn't fair. I know I'm not alone in my criticisms in his decisions, but do I ever sorely wish I could take them back.

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

Amazing.

Kubiubo

Rest in peace, Iwata. Any person could become a CEO if they really strive for it, but not everyone can be so vested in their product while treating it as if it was really their own He formed a genuine connection with developers and gamers from all around the world. Thank you.

Pollyanna

Burbeting

Banned
Wow.... What a terrible news to wake up to :(. RIP.

I thought he was geting better after the surgery, but cancer truly can be a evil thing. Once it gets back, it can do it really quickly.

RM8

Why did such a warm, sweet, talented, influential and incredibly positive man have to leave so early :( Now that I'm alone I'm tearing up a bit. I don't care if it's silly.

Ecotic

I greatly disliked the way Iwata ran Nintendo and don't care for the sanctification in process of the man, but on a human level I'm sorry to see someone die so young of cancer. Once you lose your health you feel like you could conquer the world if only you could be healed. People ask you how you're doing and you have to lie every time. It's the worst feeling and I hate he had to through it.

One of the first things I do when I wake up I go to NeoGAF, hoping to see new video game/movie announcements, new trailers, leaks etc.

But this time, it is a sad thing I read. R.I.P. Satoru Iwata.

D23

IN0b.png

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

This is amazing. Fully support this.

The Lamp

I hope someone makes a video tribute of him and his special moments and funny jokes.

If they play See You Again by Wiz Khalifa, I'd cry.

silenttwn

Sad news, way too young. He made many good memories possible for countless folks and helped bring respect to an art form that's hard to bring respect to right now. Plus he programmed EarthBound so yeah he was kind of a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom