• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriBlade

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

Those are awesome.
The tagline should say "Please Believe" though. Or "Believe Directly". Or something to that extent.

Foffy

Banned
I like to think Miyamoto is going to retire one day and pass away on his own terms.

A lot of what makes Iwata's passing so shocking is that, a week ago, he was still head of Nintendo. Nothing had changed, as far as we knew. Now he's gone.

Indeed. If we had any idea of his health situation, this wouldn't have been a "holy shit" scenario. All we knew was he had a growth in his bile duct a year ago; nothing was even said if it was cancerous. His response about it made it seem like it was merely a benign growth.

I know there's a bit of pride in Japanese culture to not be open about one's health, but for almost everyone here, there was really no writing on the wall that he was dying so quickly. He may have literally been doing his job while actively dying, and only those close to him had any idea. Usually people take major leaves of absence, like Steve Jobs. Iwata merely downgraded a few aspects of his position.

I suppose that's a testament to how much Iwata really cared about the company, the fans, and what he could do with the health he had. That's remarkable and wonderful of any person to do.

I just realized too my dad is 55. Fuck...
Hug him tight next time you see him. I lost mine when I was 12 and always kick myself for not learning more from him when he was alive.

Iwata's passing is really hitting me harder than I thought it could. I think I now understand why my mom took the passing of Mr. Rogers so hard. I never met the guy, but he represented everything I love about gaming and he was so personable that even just delivering news, directly, it felt like he was talking just to you. It feels like losing an old friend. With how volitile the gaming industry is, Iwata was always there to speak up for and celebrate the basics...stuff like local multiplayer was always championed under his leadership, while the market moved away from such things.

MutFox

Banned
So young but he brought a lot of happiness to many.
My Bro's favorite game would have never existed without him. (Kirby's Dreamland)

The NX is probably his last Nintendo project.
Hope his vision for the project will be his last hurrah.

You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of people posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.

Indeed. If we had any idea of his health situation, this wouldn't have been a "holy shit" scenario. All we knew was he had a growth in his bile duct a year ago; nothing was even said if it was cancerous. His response about it made it seem like it was merely a benign growth.

I know there's a bit of pride in Japanese culture to not be open about one's health, but for almost everyone here, there was really no writing on the wall that he was dying so quickly. He may have literally been doing his job while actively dying, and only those close to him had any idea. Usually people take major leaves of absence, like Steve Jobs. Iwata merely downgraded a few aspects of his position.

I suppose that's a testament to how much Iwata really cared about the company, the fans, and what he could do with the health he had. That's remarkable and wonderful of any person to do.

From what people have said here and elsewhere, seems like it can just reverse on you extremely quickly.

He may have thought he was on the mend when it all went bad.

You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of slack jawed hicks posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.

People were in shock. It's not surprising at all to see those reactions.

theeraser

You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of slack jawed hicks posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.
Yeah, not sure what people were thinking being shocked by the sudden and completely unexpected passing of a beloved industry icon.

Eteric Rice

To be fair, I think everyone was shocked. No one expected this at all. I know I didn't. :(

Sad way to wake up this morning.
Even though I'm not as big a Nintendo fan now as I was, if it wasn't for them I'd probably not be playing today.
End of an era. RIP

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow, that's pretty shocking. He was ill, but he didn't take full leave right? So I naively assumed it wasn't something so critical. RIP.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
thank you mister Iwata for everything, you've made life better for so many people, I hope you know that

score01

That is out of the blue. Know he had some health problems but thought he was over most of it. Guess thsts yhe thing with cancer. It never goes away. Its always a question of when it comes back not of. RIP.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

zeopower6

You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of people posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.

tbh, the news hadn't spread by any means when this was posted. We had the PDF and people were just in utter shock and disbelief since it came from nowhere. No (recent) signs, nothing leading up to this, just... that short press release all of a sudden.

Diffense

This is the shittiness of cancer... He probably was improving and getting better. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. His cancer went into total remission and a solid year went by where all was well. Then one day it came back, and it was all over before the week was done.

We truly lost a guiding light in the industry. I hope that he was able to lay out his vision for the future, and assemble the team he wanted to carry it out after he was gone.

Either way, things will never be the same. He should have had another decade+ leading the company, with another couple of decades in retirement. Way too soon.

I was just reading this yesterday:
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20080610/treatment-can-make-cancer-stronger

Doctors use radiation and chemotherapy to destroy cancer cells. About half of patients are cured -- that is, all of their tumor cells die.

The other half of the time, some tumor cells survive treatment. These cancer cells are more aggressive than they were before treatment, says Mark W. Dewhirst, DVM, PhD, professor of radiation oncology at Duke University.

"When you give a tumor treatment, whatever cells survive are going to be more resistant to that treatment," Dewhirst tells WebMD. "Those not killed are healthier cancer cells."

It is a truly terrible disease and the best 'cure' is not to get cancer in the first place. Yet with all the radiation being dumped into the environment (including Japan where the Fukushima Daichi meltdown CONTINUES to pollute the Pacific since 2011) I feel like we're going to be seeing more of it. :(

Putosaure

That is terrible and explain a lot of things.
I'm really sad right now, as I thought he was getting better. My condoleances to his family, both personal and professionnal.
What a bad week to start.

KazenY2J

It's mostly due to shock, I reacted the same way too.

stilgar

Oh hell no. I can't wake up to this.
I won't be able to explain as clearly and nicely as some of you how much I loved his creativity and spirit...we lost a giant.

RIP

zeopower6

I saw some people say they had seen Iwata just a few days ago and he was okay, so this must have been something really sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom