• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Hug him tight next time you see him. I lost mine when I was 12 and always kick myself for not learning more from him when he was alive.

Iwata's passing is really hitting me harder than I thought it could. I think I now understand why my mom took the passing of Mr. Rogers so hard. I never met the guy, but he represented everything I love about gaming and he was so personable that even just delivering news, directly, it felt like he was talking just to you. It feels like losing an old friend. With how volitile the gaming industry is, Iwata was always there to speak up for and celebrate the basics...stuff like local multiplayer was always championed under his leadership, while the market moved away from such things.

I would implore you to learn about Mr. Rogers and who he was as a person. I was too young to be moved by his loss, but learning about who he was at a person leaves me bathed in tears. He was an unfathomably kind man. There are so many stories people have of his kindness that one feels the world truly lost a jewel. He wasn't merely a friend in a neighborhood: he was the plenum of what it means to be a person with a giving and loving heart.

To this day I consider Fred Rogers one of the greatest aspects humanity can be, and his love for others is still unmatched on this earth.

RichardKSJ

Is there a .PNG of just the black ribbon on it's own? I wish to pay my respects.

zGycvMN.png

Wayoshi

You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of people posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.

The news was very sudden, I don't think you can blame anyone for those instant reactions.

Vena

From what people have said here and elsewhere, seems like it can just reverse on you extremely quickly.

He may have thought he was on the mend when it all went bad.

Bile duct cancer is has very, very bad survival rates. His doctors would have told him as much and kept an incredibly close eye on him. I don't think something like this was unknown to him or his doctors for the last several weeks if he did relapse.

My grandmother passed from ovarian cancer and it was pretty clear what was happening and the doctors didn't mince words with us.

Oh, yeah, the 2011 earthquakes.

Did you know that Iwata donated money and used Nintendo resources for aid following the earthquake? When asked about it at an investor meeting, he simply said they're not talking about it. They didn't want credit. It's simply what you do.

ExVicis

I like to think Miyamoto is going to retire one day and pass away on his own terms.

A lot of what makes Iwata's passing so shocking is that, a week ago, he was still head of Nintendo. Nothing had changed, as far as we knew. Now he's gone.
I guess I just took it for granted that Miyamoto and Iwata woud always be around. I was really looking forward to Iwata presentingt the NX to everyone and I hoped it would be a huge success everywhere.

I would really like it though if Miyamoto lives long enough to retire after being able to pass on the torch and know that he left a legacy he feels proud of.

Nanashrew

Banned
You know it would have been really nice if the first page of this thread were heartfelt posts honoring a video game icon and not a bunch of people posting "holy fuck" over and over again. It's disrespectful.

When I came back from playing games all day and heard the news my first reaction on Twitter was "WHAT?! D:"

I was in shock and I still am.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I am crying now.

I've already cried a lot, especially seeing some of the touching artworks posted here. I'll probably cry again in the next hours too, whenever I see another great heart-wrenching great artwork / video.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I would implore you to learn about Mr. Rogers and who he was as a person. I was too young to be moved by his loss, but learning about who he was at a person leaves me bathed in tears. He was an unfathomably kind man. There are so many stories people have of his kindness that one feels the world truly lost a jewel. He wasn't merely a friend in a neighborhood: he was the plenum of what it means to be a person with a giving and loving heart.

To this day I consider Fred Rogers one of the greatest aspects humanity can be, and his love for others is still unmatched on this earth.

I sensed a kindness in Iwata too. That quality is especially worth honouring... and so hard to mourn.

boiled goose

good with gravy
His legacy in the gaming world will be forever remembered.

Some of my favorite life moments came from Nintendo products created under his leadership.

He was a developer at heart and loved games for the joy they can bring to people.

Rest in peace

Im in shock too but I'm not going to rush in to post something so stupid especially since their were already so many replies like that. I just think at that point the replies should have been additive and a little classier.
Goodie for you. You're a beacon of maturity and class to us all. If you don't understand why people reacted the way they did, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Putty

R.I.P Mr Iwata.

It was a pleasure to have worked on so many games for Nintendo platforms down the years. #atruegamer

random25

Did you know that Iwata donated money and used Nintendo resources for aid following the earthquake? When asked about it at an investor meeting, he simply said they're not talking about it. They didn't want credit. It's simply what you do.

Yeah. Such generous and at the same time humble leader.

I wish I was an artist and had some wonderfully touching picture to share. I never even knew the man, so I only have a story about how he impacted me.

When I was 9 years old, I was sent to a summer camp where I was bullied relentlessly. I remember being pinned down as several other kids, many older, would beat me. I never told anyone. All I had to look forward to was the copy of Kirby's Dream Land from HAL Laboratories that my mother had mailed me to play on my Nintendo GameBoy.

Most kids anticipated the daytime activities. Not me though. I anticipated the night, when I could turn on a little lamp and play Kirby, squinting my eyes to see the green-and-black images.

I always appreciated a challenging game, but Iwata's idea for Kirby, that anyone should be able to defeat it, was soothing for me at the time. It was just what I needed in that moment, and that game gave me something to look forward to. I don't know, but it might have saved my life. Maybe that's always why I held Nintendo, their games, and even Iwata's tenure up to a higher standard.

I'm still a Nintendo gamer all these years later, and I don't forget what Kirby's Dream Land did for me. It's amazing how creators will never know how they touched us. And then they're gone.

Those are perfectly normal first reactions, everyone's in shock. It's a gutpunch out of nowhere.

HUELEN10

God, he was such a good and decent man.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Im in shock too but I'm not going to rush in to post something so stupid especially since their were already so many replies like that. I just think at that point the replies should have been additive and a little classier.

Policing people's reactions to death is a losing game...

Mit-

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

Those are awesome.
The tagline should say "Please Believe" though. Or "Believe Directly". Or something to that extent.

Seemed to be some debate earlier in the thread over using "Directly" so I just stuck with Believe. The inspirational message behind that single word is more than fitting I think, and using either meme didn't seem as respectful.

-Amon-

Read about this 5 minutes ago.

His career shows he was a gamer at heart, from his childhood to his death.

One of us :(

Reast in peace, hope he finds an old style arcade where he's heading right now.

Reast in peace and thanks for everything.

Majestad

Banned

I didn't know about that. Class act.

Katsuragi

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. You and your company put smiles on the faces of millions of gamers. Your contributions to the video game industry will never be forgotten. Thanks for everything!

stupei

How is it disrespectful to react with shock to shocking and genuinely upsetting news?

Iwata being such an important person that people are having a visceral response to his passing is its own form of tribute.

Tookay

This news first dumbfounded me, then lingered in the back of my brain, and finally sunk deep down with the realization that we've lost a giant. I'm been struggling to articulate how I feel or what to say.

Then again, what more can be said? He summed his life up better than I ever could:

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
And he reflected that quote, while laughing through an Iwata Asks with fellow developers, through the way he treated his employees as artists (as opposed to drones), in the quality of the games he produced, and in the way he interacted with his audience through a Direct.

He communicated a joy about video games that few people do, because he understood and valued the craft.

He was a gamer's CEO.

Bloody hell, this is unpleasant news to wake up to.

No matter how I might have felt about his choices while running Nintendo, I've always respected his talent and conviction. He was a true legend in the industry and will be sorely missed. Plus, regardless of anything else, he just seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

What a fucking sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom