• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFyn

Asked it earlier, but why not. A ribbon for me too, please.
pit21kqu.png

If you want it somewhere else let me know.

I wish I was an artist and had some wonderfully touching picture to share. I never even knew the man, so I only have a story about how he impacted me.

When I was 9 years old, I was sent to a summer camp where I was bullied relentlessly. I remember being pinned down as several other kids, many older, would beat me. I never told anyone. All I had to look forward to was the copy of Kirby's Dream Land from HAL Laboratories that my mother had mailed me to play on my Nintendo GameBoy.

Most kids anticipated the daytime activities. Not me though. I anticipated the night, when I could turn on a little lamp and play Kirby, squinting my eyes to see the green-and-black images.

I always appreciated a challenging game, but Iwata's idea for Kirby, that anyone should be able to defeat it, was soothing for me at the time. It was just what I needed in that moment, and that game gave me something to look forward to. I don't know, but it might have saved my life. Maybe that's always why I held Nintendo, their games, and even Iwata's tenure up to a higher standard.

I'm still a Nintendo gamer all these years later, and I don't forget what Kirby's Dream Land did for me. It's amazing how creators will never know how they touched us. And then they're gone.

This is such a touching story. Now I'm REALLY crying.

finalflame

How is it disrespectful to react with shock to shocking and genuinely upsetting news?

Iwata being such an important person that people are having a visceral response to his passing is its own form of tribute.

Some people just need to be offended.

This is really sad news. I knew Iwata had health issues before, but I didn't know they were recurring. This was an extremely unpleasant surprise.

He is a legend and will be remembered by his peers and fans alike as a man who made a truly wonderful contribution to the world of gaming. May he rest in peace :(

kitsuneyo

A truly great man and an incredible talent. He was a personal hero to me. I can't believe he went so suddenly.

Rest in peace Iwata-sama.

JSoup

Banned
Very sad news. Bile duct complications claimed my cousin a few years ago. It's the kind of ailment that is hard to catch before it's a major problem.

Would someone mind adding that ribbon to my avatar?

Mabase

:_(
What a hero. Not only did he do great work, and come across as an incredibly kind man...
his interviews were also so good.
I will truly miss "Iwata *laughs*!"
:_(

roytheone

Well, fuck. Yesterday I was thinking about how little people we have lost in this industry compared to the movie and music sectors, and now this! RIP Iwata, thanks for everything you have done, you will be missed.

I don't know how to express my feelings finding out that Iwata died. It's just a lump of darkness that makes me want to crawl up into a ball. He was a divisive CEO, a great programmer, and a seemingly virtuous person.

I'm saddened by the loss. My thoughts are with family and fans who are deeply affected by this great loss.

Rest in peace.

Jesus ... what a shitty news to start the monday and the new week with ...

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata and my condolences to his family.

He was younger than my parents ... fuck cancer to hell and beyond.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well, fuck. Yesterday I was thinking about how little people we have lost in this industry compared to the movie and music sectors, and now this! RIP Iwata, thanks for everything you have done, you will be missed.

Well... the industry is only 40 years old... There will be more coming. That's how it works, sadly.

I wish I was an artist and had some wonderfully touching picture to share. I never even knew the man, so I only have a story about how he impacted me.

When I was 9 years old, I was sent to a summer camp where I was bullied relentlessly. I remember being pinned down as several other kids, many older, would beat me. I never told anyone. All I had to look forward to was the copy of Kirby's Dream Land from HAL Laboratories that my mother had mailed me to play on my Nintendo GameBoy.

Most kids anticipated the daytime activities. Not me though. I anticipated the night, when I could turn on a little lamp and play Kirby, squinting my eyes to see the green-and-black images.

I always appreciated a challenging game, but Iwata's idea for Kirby, that anyone should be able to defeat it, was soothing for me at the time. It was just what I needed in that moment, and that game gave me something to look forward to. I don't know, but it might have saved my life. Maybe that's always why I held Nintendo, their games, and even Iwata's tenure up to a higher standard.

I'm still a Nintendo gamer all these years later, and I don't forget what Kirby's Dream Land did for me. It's amazing how creators will never know how they touched us. And then they're gone.

Powerful story. Thanks for sharing.

LAA

What?!? This came out of nowhere! I hoped Iwata was clear of trouble for a while with the operations he's had. Man I can't believe it.

RIP

Onaco

This is a very dark time for Nintendo. I appreciate the efforts people have put into tribute videos for Iwata and wish to do the same in the next few days. He sure was quite the legend. He won't be forgotten. The best way to remember Iwata is to play. Play his games.

The world is less fun now...

It's strange how someone can touch your life in so many ways through some code in a game made on the other side of the world. All the memories I have of playing Kirby on car rides to the store, sitting at home playing Earthbound hoping the storms wouldn't knock out our power, playing the Wii with my son and girlfriend in our new house... Iwata helped make those times what they are, and did so much more for so many others through his life and career. We've all lost someone truly special not only to his loved ones, his friends and co workers but to an entire industry, a whole medium that he was a part of building. I hope his legacy will touch peoples lives until there are no lives left to touch. Rest well sir

fernoca

From what people have said here and elsewhere, seems like it can just reverse on you extremely quickly.

He may have thought he was on the mend when it all went bad.
My mother passed away from cancer 2 years ago (she was 67). She had her ups and downs on the 2 weeks she was at the hospital, but I still remember a few days before, on a Saturday how ..alive she was. A friend of her and even 2 friends of mine came to visit that day, talked to her and left because of how well she looked. Her doctor came by and was really happy to see her progress.

Then on Sunday, when I returned from work to stay at the hospital she was with an oxygen mask, eyes closed and in pain.

She passed a few days later (Thursday). Those friends that visited that Saturday were speechless when I told them. Couldn't believe me, since she was so well that day.

All this around Iwata reminded me of that a bit. My mom was the person that got me into Nintendo, Mario, Zelda and even her last (christmas) gift were a Mario and Luigi figurines, even when I was 30 years old back then.

On one of the last Directs Iwata wad on, I noticed his weight loss and also reminded me of that. My mom was always talking about how she was losing weight, even when I kept telling her she was a beautiful as always. I actually didn't noticed it, until later when I was seeing some old pictures. Love is blind, some say. :p

It is really sad. Iwata was part of Nintendo and my childhood in that way. My mom got me Kirby because she liked the character in the cover and Kirby was made by him.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
RIP Mr. Iwata. I can't go to sleep. Think I'll go play video games until early morning. If anyone can add a ribbon to my avatar, it would be nice.

Cool little personal story in one of Yahoo's comment sections. Source pic from 4chan. Sorry if this has already been posted here, the thread is really big.

1436768652737.jpg

alcabcucu

I feel so sad I do not know what to say. I still cannot believe this.
Miracle man has passed away. The person in this industry who still thought there where a lot of new things to explore, new ways of understanding videogames, new ideas to make people happy... Until the end he fought for this.

Rest in peace. Be sure we will miss you.

Foffy

Banned
I sensed a kindness in Iwata too. That quality is especially worth honouring... and so hard to mourn.

Of course he had kindness. You saw it by how infectious his passion was when he spoke. He didn't have dollar signs in his mind when he spoke to people, and you saw this clearly when he spoke with developers: the man was in love with the process of making games. And that love very clearly radiated in him and the company he ran.

Compare that to any other CEO of a company the size of Nintendo. It's almost unheard of. Most companies have the presence of grey fortresses with no passion whatsoever, ready to sell the next "it" item. How many really give the presence that there's more to their presence than making a public pitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom