• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Wy4pgoZ.jpg
This is getting to be too much for me.

I should not be reading this thread while listening to the music clips people are posting.

Dremark

Banned
Wow, he had a death sentence. ):

I mean, we all do in a way - by being life, we guarantee dissolution - but for something he talked about almost passively, as if it were minor, was essentially his assurance it would end his life.

He was a very brave man by being so calm..

I think we looked at it too optimistically. Also I was under the impression his previous procedure had been successful so that helped me and possibly others think what we wanted to.

What a tragic news, I JUST saw this! I feel like I have lost the cool uncle in each family that asks you to tag along with his family to the amusement park when you're parents are working. The uncle that considers you like a son/daughter. you guys know what I'm talking about?

RIP Iwata-san and my condolences to his family and friends!

chiimisu

This really puts things in perspective.

The harsh criticism and dislikes directed at the E3 direct looks so....petty now.

Iwata pretty much did this direct on his death bed and actually apologized due to the massive online negativity..

Gamers the world over need to change the way they react to and take things for granted.

Yeah, I'd really like to ask people who signed some petitions "How do you feel now?". And some sensational game "journalists", too.

We didn't deserve Iwata.

Why is it raining in the room

Tom_Cody

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.
Thank you

E-Cat

What?!!? How? This came out of nowhere. The Iwata Asks were some of the best interviews the industry had to offer. He was also a brilliant programmer.

R.I.P.

Boney

Banned
Thank you for sharing this.

I'm still incredibly shaken by this. I just don't understand how the man could be so selfless and continue to work right until his deathbed. Me. Yamauchi's passing must've hit everyone, especially Mr Iwata so hard, but this must be too much for everyone involved. He was not only a great leader, but a trusted friend for many people in the company and affiliates, you realize his passion for gaming and Nintendo now that other game directors are speaking how significant he was, Harada's tweet was super sincere.

I just can't believe it. RIP Mr Iwata

Sethista

Its undeniable his passion for games was boundless, and he sought to bring something different and keep games simple and fun. RIP Mr IWata, your legacy are smiles in peoples faces, not many in the world can say that.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah, me too. And I don't even know why exactly.
It does have something to do with this coming from the PlayStation twitter feed, but I seriously cannot point out the exact reason why this specific tweet from this specific company would make me tear up as much as it did.

I think the fact it comes from a rival company shows the gravity more.

Personally the ones from Sakurai were really hard to read.

In any farewells, all you have to say is "See you again".
Friends see each other again.
There's nothing strange about it.
Yes. See you again.

I heard that you are going on a long journey.
It was supposed to be in the far future.
You never said it in words, but wearing your best outfit, you were saying "Sorry for it to be so sudden".

You always looked after somebody instead of yourself.
As such friend, maybe this journey is your first time being selfish.

To be honest, I still don't really believe anything.
I feel like you'll be sending me email to ask for lunch.
Just like always, you can call me and ask "If you have some free time".
Of course, I can always ask you too.

Anyway, "See you again".
You can call me anywhere, anytime, and I'll be calling you too.
There are things I want to discuss, and good ideas I want to tell you.

See you again.
No, we are seeing each other right at this moment.

I really need to stop reading this post by Itoi. It gets me every time. :(

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.
Believe in Fun

I woke up a few hours ago and this news really devastated me, he was such an important figure but he also felt like he was everybody's friend.
RIP you magnificent man.

HeelPower

Yeah, I'd really like to ask people who signed some petitions "How do you feel now?". And some sensational game "journalists", too.

We didn't deserve Iwata.

Why is it raining in the room
Its just sickening.

Its amazing that Nintendo put together an E3 direct at all considering Iwata's dire condition.

I just hope he wasn't hurt at the end by that negativity.

So basically, displaying your political agenda on a message board about video games is more important than honoring a tragedy that is so fundamentally gaming. Okay.

Celebrating the rights and love of millions is an amazing thing to do, especially in the face of tradegy. We have many more ways to pay tribute to Mr iwata. I think a flower fund is an excellent idea

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This thread has been great so far - please guys dont screw it up now.

Still cant believe it - but this thread just shows that Legends never die, Iwata will always be a part of Nintendo, Gamer and Gaf....RIP Mr. Iwata :-/

Cirdan

Neo Member
Terrible news to wake up to. I just couldn't believe it for the past 30 minutes and now it's starting to hit..

RIP Mr. Iwata.

Its just sickening.

Its amazing that Nintendo put together an E3 direct at all considering Iwata's dire condition.

That's one thing that has been hanging over me. Iwata was on the receiving end of negativity due to all the E3 stuff, and he apologized for it... I'm sad that... that's the last thing we heard from him.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
This man continued to work when this sickness meant his death with no escape, and he had to apologize to gamers for E3, on top of that.

I understand that no one really knew about his condition, and the lot of us thought he was fine for all we knew.

Still, in hindsight, it makes a sad situation even more so.

Edited: Because apparently the previous message struck a nerve.

chiimisu

Its just sickening.

I hope so too. It's just too heartbreaking to think this was the last thing he ever heard from the so called fans :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom