• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

komplanen

All I wanted was for Nintendo to change their stubbornness on certain company-wide issues but all I can think of right now is I wish Iwata was back. "Not like this, not like this"

Saw this on Twitter. Right in the feels.

CJx_YqJWEAAH0WJ.jpg:large

Oh man... :'(

Just saw all the tributes in the OP... My eyes are blurry again :'(

Chaos17

This is terrible news to wake up to.

R.I.P. Iwata you will always be one of my heroes.

What happened to him? Was he sick?

He had cancer, he got a surgery and reassured everybody that he was going to be fine.
But today we learned that cancer came back and took him for good...

That guy was working on his death bed until the end.
A true great man, serving the gamers until the end.

And the last thing e heard fro is an apology for E3 for not making gamers happy...

photo10.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I feel sick, that this man continued to work when this sickness meant his death with no escape, and he had to apologize to gamers for E3. HE had to say sorry to US for continuing to work on his deathbed.

I'm sick.

Even in his final days he was concerned with living up to gamers expectation and satisfying us....more passion isnt possible he really loved and cared about Gaming and the Industry.

Polari

Its just sickening.

Its amazing that Nintendo put together an E3 direct at all considering Iwata's dire condition.

I just hope he wasn't hurt at the end by that negativity.

Eh, it's not like anyone knew he was at death's door.

Signing petitions is lol pathetic tho.

Velcro Fly

I feel guilt for expressing disappointment about the E3 event now but I was always grateful it seemed like Iwata actually gave a shit about what we thought. It makes you realize there is more to life than video games.

Honey Bunny

Even as someone who parted ways with Nintendo post-DS, I wanted to see him pull NX from his pocket on stage with a smile. Any modern Nintendo hardware reveal without his presence is going to feel strange.

Really sad news, Also GG Gaf the last public announcement was him apologizing for E3.

Hope you don't feel like monsters.

Hm. You should feel like an asshole, but that's about it. People can express disappointment towards their favorite company's biggest media event of the year, and part of that reaction might rely on the fact that most of us know they can do better.

And the vast majority of people were disappointed, but that's it. I never demanded an apology or berated any Nintendo exec on social media, and I'm willing to bet most here didn't either.

Simbabbad

I feel selfish that a person that sick and with at best case 5 years to live would continue working.
Yes, reading about what he had, it makes the latest year sort of painful. Thinking he typed to apologize for people being disappointed at E3 while he knew he would probably pass away soon, and still directed Nintendo... it hurts.

He was the only big video game company CEO who had actually programmed games and took interest in how games were made, and wanted to educate the public about game creation.

His sense of humour in the directs also had to make you feel ties with him, like he was somehow part of your family.

I'll really miss him.

Foffy

Banned
I feel guilt for expressing disappointment about the E3 event now but I was always grateful it seemed like Iwata actually gave a shit about what we thought. It makes you realize there is more to life than video games.

There's more to life than our way of life. When things like this happen, it breaks the illusion we've made of ourselves. We're reminded when we shit talk about events, we're ultimately shit talking living, breathing people.

In this case, one of them was potentially dying as the shit talk was happening...

MrBadger

I feel sick, that this man continued to work when this sickness meant his death with no escape, and he had to apologize to gamers for E3. HE had to say sorry to US for continuing to work on his deathbed.

I'm sick.

Yeah, isn't that just the worst part...

I'd be grateful if anyone had the time to ribbon-ify my avatar

Cheebo

Banned
Any banner should be in addition to the rainbow logo not at it's expense.

It is still vital to be celebrating the passing of gay marriage here at gaf, it is still too early and far too significant of a victory for our community to remove. Getting rid of the love banner this early when many around the net still proudly wear the rainbow color celebration of equality would not go well on the OT side.

We can still mourn Iwata and have something of remembrance of him in the banner without still celebrating the wonderful victory this community has recently had.

Whoa, this is some heavy shit. I thought this was some kind of joke at first, but everyone in the gaming community is mourning him. The man was a legend, a unique executive who knew what gaming was really about, and was a brilliant programmer to boot. We may not all agree with his decisions, but we all know the industry is a lesser place without him.

Rest in peace, Iwata-san. My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

RazorK1d

Woke up this morning to get ready for work and saw this news...now I'm in tears and I can't get the balloon trip theme out of my head. Iwata was the kind of president that I always loved for a company that I love who has made the hobby that I love fun for my entire life.

Thank you Iwata, thank you.

KAP151

Posted on Reddit. It says it all to me.

“When you remember me, it means you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.”

― Frederick Buechner

trixx

Still can't believe it. Miiverse is devastated couldn't even turn on my wii u without the tears.

Also really sad that his apology about e3 is the last we heard of him :((((

Who knew all this was going on during e3, feel so bad

Porcile

The bile duct cancer survival rates are scarily low. I guess he must have known from the beginning, but continued to work in order to make sure Nintendo's immediate future was secure and well defined going forward. If it's any comfort, we will definitely be feeling the legacy of Iwata directly for many years to come. Whether it's through hardware he himself personally had a hand in or the development philosophy he has instilled in Nintendo. That's some legendary stuff right there.

I still can't believe he is gone. I can't remember the last time the death of a public figure, affected me this much. He just seemed like such a genuine, down to Earth guy who cared passionately about what he did and wanted to share that with people. He will be truly missed.

Cerity

4j7mZ4S.jpg

I spent the last few hours just running through the gb(c) pokemon games because in my memories whenever you released or traded away a pokemon the game said goodbye x! or something similar with the pokemon disappearing from the screen. It turned out not to be the case so I just went with what my memories were and did something quick.

JoeM86

The bile duct cancer survival rates are scarily low. I guess he must have known from the beginning, but continued to work in order to make sure Nintendo's immediate future was secure and well defined going forward. If it's any comfort, we will definitely be feeling the legacy of Iwata directly for many years to come. Whether it's through hardware he himself personally had a hand in or the development philosophy he has instilled in Nintendo. That's some legendary stuff right there.

Indeed. Over the last year, Iwata put so much into action it's crazy. With all the deals with Universal, DeNA etc., the introduction of Morimoto in Directs, the NX stuff, the QoL stuff, it was incredible that he did this potentially knowing that time was short.

Man the updated OP. Gotta duck out the thread again or I'm gonna be crying in front of people all day smh....I got every Iwata Mii in my 3DS. Never letting that go. And I thought P.T. was the hidden treasure that was gonna always be in my possession. Those Mii's will be a little reminder for everyone...

And for the people who savagely tore into Nintendo for E3 or really since his diagnosis from last year...i hope you understand now...

That Itoi statement will haunt me a while man gosh...

Skele7on

Banned
Hm. You should feel like an asshole, but that's about it. People can express disappointment towards their favorite company's biggest media event of the year, and part of that reaction might rely on the fact that most of us know they can do better.

And the vast majority of people were disappointed, but that's it. I never demanded an apology or berated any Nintendo exec on social media, and I'm willing to bet most here didn't either.

Why should I, I clearly just stated a fact and some of the comments from here regarding E3 weren't great,
I get that there is a passion here, but some of the comments now looking back were just uncalled for,
sometimes super fans can be the real super assholes.

I just stated facts, that between all the comments here and on social media we made a sick man write an apology.
So don't go editing posts when you clearly implied just the first part. I may have been disappointed, but I didn't write anything regarding it,
as I know Nintendo will have a bright future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom