• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
While the game had nothing to do with Iwata, I went back to Bloodborne after pretty much giving up on it (couldn't make it past the first boss - Cleric).

Took that bastard out in honor of Iwata's memory.

Yeah it's corny, but I thought it an appropriate way to honor a godfather of gaming.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why should I, I clearly just stated a fact and some of the comments from here regarding E3 weren't great,
I get that there is a passion here, but some of the comments now looking back were just uncalled for,
sometimes super fans can be the real super assholes.

I'm just stated facts, that between all the comments here and on social media we made a sick man write an apology.
So don't go editing posts when you clearly implied just the first part. I may have been disappointed, but I didn't write anything regarding it,
as I know Nintendo will have a bright future.

I mean really everything to do with Metroid reaction to that E3 was just pathetic. Even without this context, this just makes it that much worse.

HeelPower

Posted on Reddit. It says it all to me.

“When you remember me, it means you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.”

― Frederick Buechner

This one of the very finest posts I've read online and is perfect for the situation.

Thanks.

Lynd7

Any banner should be in addition to the rainbow logo not at it's expense.

It is still vital to be celebrating the passing of gay marriage here at gaf, it is still too early and far too significant of a victory for our community to remove. Getting rid of the love banner this early when many around the net still proudly wear the rainbow color celebration of equality would not go well on the OT side.

We can still mourn Iwata and have something of remembrance of him in the banner without still celebrating the wonderful victory this community has recently had.

I know Evilore has explained and we should probably cease talking about it. But, I don't think people would mind a logo swap at least for a few days or a week, right, extraordinary circumstances? They can always run the Love logo a little longer.

Or, do something like change the logo but make the NeoGAF text rainbow. The GAF admin will likely work something out.

“When you remember me, it means you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.”

― Frederick Buechner
Really like this quote too.

Nosgoroth

It's been a long full workday since I found out about this and I still find myself fighting tears, and it's only going to get worse once I get back home, turn on my Wii U and play some Balloon Fight, some Kirby... just, some games.

As a gamer, it feels as if I just lost that uncle that shows up from time to time with a smile and a present for you. As a developer I don't know how it feels because that other one is so overriding.

Rest in peace.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

― Frederick Buechner

Oooooh those misty eyes. This sums things up perfectly, thank you for bringing this up.

E-Cat

― Frederick Buechner
;__;

Kodaman

The bile duct cancer survival rates are scarily low. I guess he must have known from the beginning, but continued to work in order to make sure Nintendo's immediate future was secure and well defined going forward. If it's any comfort, we will definitely be feeling the legacy of Iwata directly for many years to come. Whether it's through hardware he himself personally had a hand in or the development philosophy he has instilled in Nintendo. That's some legendary stuff right there.

Yeah, it's crazy. He surely knew the dim chances he's got.. and still continued to work...

TCRS

Banned
I always wanted to buy a 3DSXL but never got round to it. I think I'm going to get one today (or tomorrow). Shame that it had to be his death that finally pushed me.

It is still vital to be celebrating the passing of gay marriage here at gaf, it is still too early and far too significant of a victory for our community to remove. Getting rid of the love banner this early when many around the net still proudly wear the rainbow color celebration of equality would not go well on the OT side.

We can still mourn Iwata and have something of remembrance of him in the banner without still celebrating the wonderful victory this community has recently had.

Not to rain on the gay marriage parade but Iwata represents a BIG part of the gaming industry and has contributed so much to the way gaming is now.

I'm sure the Evilore and the others heads are thinking of a good way to balance it out but Iwata represents a big loss to us all and to have him in the logo for a couple of days wouldn't hurt anyone.

Simbabbad

I'm just stated facts, that between all the comments here and on social media we made a sick man write an apology.
People didn't know it was that bad, nobody did.

I'm always disgusted when reactions about something like video games go overboard, and I myself labelled the Metroid fanbase "toxic" back then (I still do), but people didn't know he was that ill. The distress and anger at this news shouldn't taint this thread, nobody's responsible for Mr. Iwata passing away.

Not to rain on the gay marriage parade but Iwata represents a BIG part of the gaming industry and has contributed so much to the way gaming is now.
I'm in a couple with my boyfriend for over 15 years now and I'm shocked replacing the banner to pay homage to Mr. Iwata on a video game message board is even a concern. It's just an image upload, and should obviously have priority over something off-topic.

Wil348

A great man passed today, a man who was responsible for the existence of great experiences that are loved and cherished by many and will continue to be so into the far future. Regardless of your stance on Nintendo, you cannot deny respect to a man who literally took his own life out of selfless commitment to his job, to his company, and to gamers in general. May you rest in peace Mr. Iwata, and may your legacy live on through through the hearts of gamers everywhere. :(

Arkhanor

I'm at work right now and trying not to cry here. This is really sad. I didn't even had the honor to meet him in person, but his work have a special place in my hearth and in my mind. Thank you Iwata-san. Rest in peace. I'm a game developer today thanks to all legendary game developers around the world, including him.

After a nights rest I still can't believe it and I'm still shook.

Indeed. Over the last year, Iwata put so much into action it's crazy. With all the deals with Universal, DeNA etc., the introduction of Morimoto in Directs, the NX stuff, the QoL stuff, it was incredible that he did this potentially knowing that time was short.

Looking back, it seems he was working extra hard to steer Nintendo in the direction he felt was right so he could leave them in the best possible spot. With everything he was going through it's just another example of the type of man he was.

Skele7on

Banned
I mean really everything to do with Metroid reaction to that E3 was just pathetic. Even without this context, this just makes it that much worse.

absolutely, yet I get called an asshole for not taking part in it.

Iwata-san, thank you for your legacy, you truly will outlive us all.

I'm always disgusted when reactions about something like video games go overboard, and I myself labelled the Metroid fanbase "toxic" back then (I still do), but people didn't know he was that ill. The distress and anger at this news shouldn't taint this thread, nobody's responsible for Mr. Iwata passing away.

Earlier in the year he was in hospital for a very long time, and we made the card, the details never came out as to why he was in there, I would say that was a pretty good indication that not all was actually well.

Dremark

Banned

With all due respect I think it would be okay to pull it down for a few days to honor Iwata.

I honestly believe it's a very important issue and I'm glad it turned out this way. However the inclusion of these rights is something which we'll have forever, but Iwata is gone.

Regardless of how it's done, or not done, I'd like to think the vast majority of people who want an Iwata banner don't mean to disrespect the movement and it's recent victory.

11168948_73336895676974p3a.jpg

Couldn´t hold back the tears after this one.

Joqu

I can't believe this, especially because I thought he was getting better. RIP Mr Iwata. What a legend.

Love the messages. Itoi's especially is beautiful.

And yes, Iwata Asks should absolutely become a book.

Actually tearing up now. Damn. :(

woopWOOP

That updated OP with all the condolences brings me a smile. It's nice so many people have different good memories of the guy.

Thank you Cheesemeister for translating those tweets too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's not about responsibility it's about waking up from a bubble. People were making petitions for a developers project to be scrapped and all sorts of shitty reactions, because their favourite game series/game series they liked probably wouldn't be getting a new game in the vein they like for a few more years.

Considering the shit people go through in life and even the work developers put into these games, even if you or I consider them bad, makes the whole reaction really disgusting. I feel like in this industry more than most people really seem to love a sense of perspective about things, probably due to the ages of people involved and the escapist nature so prevalent.

hesido

With all due respect I think it would be okay to pull it down for a few days to honor Iwata.

I honestly believe it's a very important issue and I'm glad it turned out this way. However the inclusion of these rights is something which we'll have forever, but Iwata is gone.

Regardless of how it's done, or not done, I'd like to think the vast majority of people who want an Iwata banner don't mean to disrespect the movement and it's recent victory.

There should be no debate about changing it for Mr. Iwata, this is an extra-ordinary situation. No one in their right mind should and would see it as a "defeat" of some sort for the gay community (and it's not at all something that I call vital), it's a gaming forum and a legend has passed away.

NeoGAF could keep the rainbow logo until 2024 for all I care.

I'm sure the Evilore and the others heads are thinking of a good way to balance it out but Iwata represents a big loss to us all and to have him in the logo for a couple of days wouldn't hurt anyone.

I'm with you. Nothing wrong with the gay marriage thing, but it would be nice to see a fitting tribute to Iwata here on GAF. The logo would be a great place for it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Iwata sacrificed his last months on earth to satisfy us gamers.... The more I realize the fact that the more it hurts.

To think that people thought he would drop his position at Nintendo because of lackluster sales on recent hardware fuck that.... Not even death could stop him from working and caring about Nintendo and video games. This kind of passion is rare and we should be thankful that we benefited and will benefit in the future from it.

Probably my last post about Iwata for now.... Just too sad right now. Thanks Iwata.

Grizzo

Whoa. I didn't always agree with his vision, but he did some pretty fantastic stuff for Nintendo (just producing Earthbound puts him in a league of his own to my eyes).

55 is way too young to die. He was brave and strong up until the end, and that is something to be admired as well.

May he rest in peace :(

duckroll

We would really appreciate it if this thread doesn't become a pointless bickering debate about what you personally prefer on our logo. This thread isn't about that and will not be about that. Don't turn someone's death into some sort of silly agenda. Thanks.

All due respect, but Gaming Age Forum...an idol in Gaming just left us. That's being acknowledged by the Gaming industry. As a Gaming Forum I would think its for us to acknowledge this. EviLore will decide obviously how to balance it out but to imply the that the death of Iwata isn't important enough or should be given a little less spotlight because of other websites...idk...think the man deserves at least the banner but if not this thread will already be immortal.

Caramello

I'm still not able to function properly 10 hours after finding out about his passing... I'm playing Splatoon right now because I'm sure that's what he'd want me doing, enjoying a Nintendo game and having fun. Still, I can't find as much fun in it right now... I just feel hollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom