• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad and sudden. I think I'm going to buy Balloon Fight sooner or later, give it the time of day. That was one of his first personally programmed titles, right?

Simbabbad

Considering the shit people go through in life and even the work developers put into these games, even if you or I consider them bad, makes the whole reaction really disgusting.
I agree with this, and I said it at the time. I wasn't particularly nice to the people with this attitude, especially given the respect I have for Next Level Games. But still, those people didn't know the situation.

But really, the bigger issue is indeed that people should keep priorities straight. Consumers in general don't have enough respect and thought for people who create products, and complaints are often way too hyperbolic. This is an illustration of that.

COZmvQ1.jpg

thanks man!

Its just a banner, best to let it go. As i said previously, celebrating the rights and love of millions even during a tragedy is a wonderful thing to do, we have many more ways to pay tribute to Mr.Iwata, like this wonderful thread for a start.

I think looking into starting a flower fund might also be a truly wonderful thing to do, and a kind contribution from this community to those who knew him personally.

Lets keep perspective here, and be respectful.

:)

AHindD

RIP Mr. Iwata, you and your team created the games and consoles that delivered on pure joy, and it makes me so incredibly sad that your vision, talent, and joy for all things is no longer with us.

Shocked at this, I heard he was unwell a while back but I didn't know it was so serious. I have been critical of the man for some his strategies for Nintendo but hearing that today is just fucking sad and puts things into perspective. RIP

Had an early night last night and woke up late, what awful news to wake up to, taken me an hour or so to really sink in and I still don't quite believe it, a true gaming genius legend, thank you Iwata-san you will be missed

RIP

This is a gaming forum first and foremost. This guy was incurably ill and worked everyday to make things happen in and for gaming. While other matters are equally important this one affects gamers and GAF is a gaming community.

Jake.

i haven't bought a videogame in almost a decade now and hardly ever venture over to the gaming side of gaf, but i grew up with a used gameboy + SNES which i spent countless hours on. a very sad day for nintendo, RIP iwata. :(

I knew about his cancer but holy shit does this feel out of nowhere, not seeing him in the next direct will just feel wrong. Easily the coolest ceo in the industry.

GCX

There aren't many CEOs in the world who are so passionate about their company and field as Iwata was. He lived to make Nintendo a better company but even during the biggest moments of success he was still really humble.

What a wise and interesting man. RIP.

RiamuBME

I've spent all morning reading through this thread and everyone's tributes to a pretty amazing person. It helps me realize just how much of an impact he had, how much what he did meant to every single one of us.

I can't express how much, being sad over someone I have never met feels weird - yet so fucking unbelievably difficult to deal with at the same time.

watchdog

Even though I had heard he had some health issues I thought he was doing better. I was absolutely shocked and saddened to hear about his death. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and colleagues at Nintendo.

nin1000

Banned
Before coming to work i saw that he passed away on the neogaf front page.
8 hours into work the news just hit me right in the heart.
I am almost done with work and i just cant handle it anymore the impact he had on my life with all his games and all his passion is overwhelming. Looking at all those pictures just made me terribly sad. i am truly lost for words.

Nicktendo86

The thing is, as others have said, it is going to take months, perhaps years until we can all fully appreciate what Iwata has done in his last few months in order to get Nintendo on the right path as we slowly see the fruits of the seeds he has planted.

If I, or anyone else that I know, were given a prognosis such as the one Iwata had I would use the time I had to enjoy myself. Go travel the world, spend time with family etc. But Iwata spent his time trying to fix the problems in Nintendo and get his company back on the right path. I cannot imagine the selflessness that must have taken.

I'm going to have to stop as I'm choking up again.

SeanR1221

The thing is, as others have said, it is going to take months, perhaps years until we can all fully appreciate what Iwata has done in his last few months in order to get Nintendo on the right path as we slowly see the fruits of the seeds he has planted.

If I, or anyone else that I know, were given a prognosis such as the one Iwata had I would use the time I had to enjoy myself. Go travel the world, spend time with family etc. But Iwata spent his time trying to fix the problems in Nintendo and get his company back on the right path. I cannot imagine the selflessness that must have taken.

I'm going to have to stop as I'm choking up again.

All very true. Nintendo as a company might have its issues, but Iwata worked extremely hard where most people would have stepped down.

vato_loco

I can't believe it. I wasn't even aware he was ill.

Rest in peace, Iwata-san. Surely you'll now be able to see all the smiles you bring to this world.

I'd like to add my support of a temporary logo change in memory of him. Of course, I defer to whoever would be in charge of making such a decision.

I didn't think I would cry, but I started last night and it continues this morning. Thank you, Mr. Iwata.

Eldainorn

RIP Iwata-san.

I'll never forget all those Nintendo Directs he hosted. Future Directs will somehow just not feel complete without him. He was an amazing person.

PsionBolt

God...

I need to phone my mother. I think this is the first time I've shed tears over a death outside of my family or friends...

Thank you for everything, Mr. Iwata. You've done far more than your fair share for this field. You will not be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom