• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidefy

I didn't know the man personally but when he spoke to us, he felt like a friend. The world is a sadder place without him in it.

fester

Banned
So similar to the cancer stories I've experienced with my family: one day you're making great progress, the next day it's all over. :(

Fuck cancer.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am in complete shock right now....like I just casually went to gaming side just a few minutes ago and I see that iwata died? I literally cannot believe it, its so sudden that i thought it was going to be some kind of joke.

Here is a scaled down version for avatars, with a white glow to detach it from the background. And the original. It's quick and dirty.

UuYjzQl.png

Could someone add this to my avatar please?

I am positively gutted. I have always stood by Mr. Iwata as Nintendo's leader -- it warmed my heart that the company was led by a creative rather than a suit. He always struck me as immensely thoughtful, deliberate and as innovative as he was humble. Listening to Iwata, I got the sense of a man who genuinely cared about the work that came from the company he led. This man contributed greatly to works such as EarthBound, Kirby, Super Smash Bros., Pokemon, the Wii, the DS series and the Wii U, not to mention his contributions to creative, straightforward, and intelligent communication, as he spearheaded projects such as Iwata Asks, Nintendo Direct and the transition into a digital E3. Video games owe him more than many folks might realize, and I consider the man a genius in his way.

Now that he's gone, it's the first time in more than 25 years as a fan that I worry for Nintendo's future. His was a steady and mindful guiding hand, and he will be missed. Immensely missed, as a leader and as a person.

My heart goes out to those close to him. He had so many more years to contribute.

This, big time.

Whether you liked Iwata or not, agreed with his leadership of Nintendo or not, liked his games or not

If you enjoy video games, you are a lot like the man.

Muzy72

Banned
I'm probably a fucking loser but omg I'm just bawling right now. The tears just won't fucking stop. RIP Satoru Iwata, you changed Nintendo for the better.

openrob

See this is a pivitol time in gaming history. People now are in the industry who have been there since the VERY BEGINNING.

This is three growing pains of our at form. The people who spearheaded it are now growing older. We will witness the first generation grow old and die off.

Crazy

hatchx

Banned
I actually have tears in my eye and am deeply saddened and shocked by this news. He always came across as a wonderful person, a fun person, a person who loved the job and the company that he worked for and I felt that through the products that I brought from Nintendo. Me and my brother would always wait for his name to pop up in the credits of their games and would sit around the screen during a direct, waiting to see his face and his silly antics and I've spent countless hours reading his interviews. It was known that he was ill for a while and as time went on, you could see him physically getting weaker, but even so his enthusiasm was still palpable. From his banana holding to his 'Directly to you' pose, his fight with Reggie in the Digital Event and the Puppets this year he was both funny and smart, a legendary super programmer, making games on his Hewlett-Packard HP-67 calculator as a kid in class, programming both Earthbound and porting Pokemon to the N64 among many other feats, he has undoubtedly been immortalized and will be remembered by everyone in the industry as a man who loved doing what he did, and although it's a very sad day, I'll always remember him as the fun guy he set out to be, working for the company that puts smiles on the faces of people all around the world, rest in peace.

Beautifully put javac

Yokai

I love this interview. I read it long before his death and really respected him...

The job of a programmer is to produce good work, meaning that the planners and designers shouldn’t feel the limitations of the hardware. I tell my programmers to think carefully before they say something “can’t be done.” There isn’t that much that can’t be done with a little ingenuity.

Lately I’ve heard people say that game designers are to be praised, while programmers are less important. That is a warped way of thinking in my opinion. Both together are required to produce anything. No matter how wonderful a game idea or design might be, without solid programming, it won’t be well received by its audience, the players. Programmers should take pride in that fact.

http://shmuplations.com/1994game4/

A very wise man and his death was far too early.

Peltz

I stubbornly believe that Iwata is immortal. His legend will never die.

Thank you for everything Mr. Iwata. I'm playing Balloon Fight tonight in your honor.

Cidd

I knew this E3 was too good to be true. with every good comes a bad and this is a sad day for gaming.

My prayers goes out to his friends and family.

Mr. Miyamoto must be devastated right now.

T-T

sephi22

Never saw a direct from beginning to end. DSLite and GBA are the only Nintendo consoles I own. My only exposure to Iwata was through GAF memes and threads and I found him pretty charming.

This is hitting me too hard. I can't concentrate on anything right now. Last time I felt this way was when Ryan from Giantbomb passed, and I am a big fan of Ryan. Even though I was only a bystander during Nintendo directs and E3 presentations, its still shocking to know that a man who I always associated with Nintendo hype/fails is now no more.

RIP

Cindro

Now if only Iwata could be a guest on Ryan Davis' Giant Heavencast ;_;

Ryan and Satoru are the two "celebrity" deaths that have hit me hardest, ever.

I don't even know what to do right now. Play Earthbound for the first time? Didn't he have a significant role in that game's development?

The thing with Mr. Iwata is that he wasn't just a corporate figurehead. He was a programmer and a game designer. He understood what it means to make, program, and design games. I hope whoever replaces him will have a similar background.

Maximus.

Wow I am in utter shock. Rest in peace and thank you for bringing the world countless hours of joy and innovation. I really wanted to see him turn Nintendo around once again. What a loss.

chadboban

I just woke up. I feel so gutted right now. I loved this man.

R.I.P. Iwata. Your contributions to the gaming world will never be forgotten.

mdubs

Banned
I actually have tears in my eye and am deeply saddened and shocked by this news. He always came across as a wonderful person, a fun person, a person who loved the job and the company that he worked for and I felt that through the products that I brought from Nintendo. Me and my brother would always wait for his name to pop up in the credits of their games and would sit around the screen during a direct, waiting to see his face and his silly antics and I've spent countless hours reading his interviews. It was known that he was ill for a while and as time went on, you could see him physically getting weaker, but even so his enthusiasm was still palpable. From his banana holding to his 'Directly to you' pose, his fight with Reggie in the Digital Event and the Puppets this year he was both funny and smart, a legendary super programmer, making games on his Hewlett-Packard HP-67 calculator as a kid in class, programming both Earthbound and porting Pokemon to the N64 among many other feats, he has undoubtedly been immortalized and will be remembered by everyone in the industry as a man who loved doing what he did, and although it's a very sad day, I'll always remember him as the fun guy he set out to be, working for the company that puts smiles on the faces of people all around the world, rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom