• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

JiitCh1.png

What the hell... -_-

Some people are just disgusting.

Jhoan

This has been the sudden gut punch of the day. Thought it was a joke but then I read the PDF and it hit me. Goes to show that life is incredibly fragile. Going to miss all those insightful Iwata Asks and Nintendo Directs.

The guy truly leaves behind a legacy having been such a boss. RIP Mr. Iwata and thanks for all the great contributions/games.

Euron

I'm crying here. WHY?! WHY??!!!

Ok my eyes were getting watery before but now there are legit tears coming out of them. The man exhibited a passion seen in nobody else and just wanted to share his passion with the world.

Here is a scaled down version for avatars, with a white glow to detach it from the background. And the original. It's quick and dirty.

qw1qDoP.png

iCeihgr.png
I would really appreciate it if somebody were to add this to my avatar if possible.

GhaleonQ

It is finally happening. Our video game heroes are dying of natural causes and not out-and-out tragedies like with Game Arts and Cave.

Satoru Iwata was easily 1 of THE upstanding businessmen in video games, someone with incandescent, radiant joy in an all-too depressing industry, and I'm legitimately tearing up, which I thought would only happen with Shimomura, Miyamoto, and either Williams. Video games are in darker days.

Let us Kirby dance into the night in his honor.
https://33.media.tumblr.com/4b62f5e6d4f2e706b942df111b594b65/tumblr_inline_nr94csuA0a1rslwr1_500.gif

I miss you already, Iwata.

Foffy

Banned
I knew he had a health issue, but never once was it publicly entertained that it was life threatening.

It's sad, but we should merely cherish the fact the man had passion for games, for he lived and loved games. This is what he wanted to do with his life, and he is one of the most respected people in this industry for it.

We all dissolve one day, this is a fact of nature. Let the joy and the life of Iwata had for what he did with his life be one where you too follow what you love and value, what gives you passion and bliss in your heart.

Clefargle

RIP Iwata, you gave us years of innovation and incredible enjoyment. You kept Nintendo together and fresh through some of its toughest years and I'm glad they chose you to lead the company. You will be missed, no one can truly replace you.

Some will say he was a wonderful programmer, who did coding sorcery to get games like Pokemon Gold and Silver onto cartridges that had no business fitting.

Some will say he was a jovial personable man who humanized the often fitful, draconian realm of the video game boardroom.

But I will remember him as the man who ate big pay cuts to keep his staff employed and occupied where other CEOs would throw their people under buses or flee and have someone else desperate to appease shareholders do it instead.

And for that, he will be missed deeply.

POST OF THE THREAD. Especially the bolded. I've actually brought up his pay sacrifices (not to mention Miyamoto's) as a positive example to friends and family when discussing scummy CEO scandals at other companies.

My brain is still trying to register that this has actually happened...

The man was both directly and indirectly responsible for many of my happiest memories as a gamer. I can't help but wonder what many great innovations he may have brought to the table if he had had more time. Neither the company, or even the world, will be the same without him. May he rest in piece.

This is the first time a GAF thread has made me gasp while reading the title and made me hope that it wasn't true.

I know he was sick, but it just feels so sudden now that it's happened. I'm at a loss for words :(

Rest in Peace, Mr. Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom