• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

L95

I understand the thread's moving quickly but I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could add the Iwata ribbon to my avatar:

ywo0Isv.png

SvnqbAK.png

SUCKS..am still in shock cant believe it..thought he was doing better. Cancer just flat out SUCKS, lost my Dad from it so I know what horror it can bring..RIP Mr. Iwata thank you for everything you gave to Nintendo and the video gaming community you will forever be missed

Grug

My condolences. I may not have agreed with every single decision he made for Nintendo but the man was hugely likable and respectable. He will most certainly be missed! ;(

Pretty much sums up my sentiments. Can't say I was a huge fan of the somewhat evasive, back-foot posture Nintendo seemed to have under his watch but he did find a way to keep Nintendo viable as a niche competitor.

A very charismatic and likeable guy too. Will be tinkering in the lab with Gunpei Yokoi in Nintendo heaven.

Ashilyn

My heart goes out to Nintendo and NoA, and to his friends and family.

I don't know why, but I'm having a really hard time processing this. Like, I've spent the last hour at work just kind of staring at my computer screen dumbfounded. I really thought he was getting better, and he looked largely fine in the E3 direct iirc. Such a shame for gaming to lose such an icon :(

Fitts

Tragic. He always seemed like a good person and even if I didn't agree with his business decisions I certainly respect him. Condolences to his family and friends.

So sad right now. He was just way too young. Fuck cancer. He was great and I'm going to always remember what he gave to us from the time he started working in the industry to now.

R.I.P. Iwata

I found it impossible to continue working on my game when I peered over to Twitter and saw the news break :( Such a sudden and heatbreaking loss for the industry, he was a huge part of my childhood and the Nintendo I grew up with on the road to being a developer myself. An incredibly inspiring, charming and hugely respected individual. RIP Iwata, you will sorely be missed.

I've been on a internet blackout all day due to the area I was in, is this a joke?

I'm not even being facetious? What the hell is going on? Was he sick, I can't really get too much info, I'm trying to read stuff, saw "Bile duct growth?"

UGHHHHH, my stomach dropped :(

Sianos

Rest in peace Iwata, you worked hard to bring a sweet happiness to people through your hard work and passion. You have inspired countless creators and your work stands as a testament to your dreams.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
WTF!!!!!! I just saw this thread holy shit! I'm in disbelief right now...wow..idk what to say :'(

Gartooth

Whoever takes over has huge shoes to fill. Agree or not with his direction of Nintendo, it was clear as day that he loved the company. I'm going to miss his part in the fun antics of E3 press conferences. Iwata Asks were also really fun to read. :(

Portman

Hate to see him go. I remember hearing that he was ill a while back but I guess it never registered when he wasn't at E3 this year.

I wish the best to his family and friends (and employees/coworkers).

I'm also throwing my vote in for the GAF logo to be changed/updated as a tribute. Not sure what would work though, a sad Kirby since it'd almost be the same shape?

Some will say he was a wonderful programmer, who did coding sorcery to get games like Pokemon Gold and Silver onto cartridges that had no business fitting.

Some will say he was a jovial personable man who humanized the often fitful, draconian realm of the video game boardroom.

But I will remember him as the man who ate big pay cuts to keep his staff employed and occupied where other CEOs would throw their people under buses or flee and have someone else desperate to appease shareholders do it instead.

And for that, he will be missed deeply.
Quoting because this deserves a place on every page.

My heartfelt condolences go out to him and his loved ones.

SaviorX

The industry has suffered a great loss.

Truly crushing news. I thank him for what he offered to people around the world. May he rest in peace.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata.

You were one of the greatest people in gaming. I watched you grow on stage from E3 conference to E3 conference. It's a shame to see you leave. You'll be missed.

L Thammy

Some will say he was a wonderful programmer, who did coding sorcery to get games like Pokemon Gold and Silver onto cartridges that had no business fitting.

Some will say he was a jovial personable man who humanized the often fitful, draconian realm of the video game boardroom.

But I will remember him as the man who ate big pay cuts to keep his staff employed and occupied where other CEOs would throw their people under buses or flee and have someone else desperate to appease shareholders do it instead.

And for that, he will be missed deeply.

Great post. That was a huge example of how an ethical executive should act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom