• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA files patent for context switching between architecturally distinct GPUs

Globox_82

Banned
Internet? Clearly it didn't stop them from selling 70+ million PS3s.

but but BC.
The moment next gen PS gets released I am moving on, don't care about BC tbh. Would it be nice if there is BS, sure. But in my case I don't care. never went back and played on PS1 games on PS2 or had wish to play PS2 games on PS3

Elios83

Then why did so many people get mad when Sony pulled PS2 BC support from the PS3?

Gaming message boards != the whole market.
PS3 sales started to pick up when BC was removed and price was cut to 399$.
So basically most people didn't care about the extra features and weren't willing to pay for BC.
Anyway with PS4 it makes sense to keep compatibility with the whole PSN digital catalogue, it would be a missed business opportunity and a total waste of the efforts made during these years if that wasn't the case. This time it's not just to please a niche of users.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sounds interesting, doesn't this line us with the leaks that it would have two, one for low power consumption when say at the XMB etc. and then a seperate GPU for actual gaming.

I think Sony is patenting it in case they get fucked like how they couldn't use audio chat.

There isn't a patent stopping them from having system wide audio chat like party chat on 360, we know this because the Vita has the functionality, and they have already told us it is a main ram issue.

There was a thing with playing your own music which MS supposedly had a patent for, but again, the Vita has this.

So I'm not really sure what your referring too.

Then why did so many people get mad when Sony pulled PS2 BC support from the PS3?

that didn't stop millions from buying ps3's. people on the internet bitched but in the end it didn't matter one bit since that NEVER was the problem for 99% of the people buying a ps3 if i had to guess. i'm still rocking a launch ps3 with ps2 sw-BC (that i NEVER used, except once when i bought it just to try it out).
would it be nice if a launch unit or premium version of ps4 had BC with ps1, ps2 and ps3 in one way or another? absolutely, i would totally buy that sku. but it's hardly a factor for me, i'm interested in next-gen consoles to play next-gen games.
this time it's slightly different to some people because of PSN purchases, i'll give you that.

Don't some laptops already do this?

My MacBook Pro Retina has a option to turn it off in performance settings.

No, the document specifically says why it´s difference in a sense that´s a seamless switch from one GPU to the other, that´s what´s new about it. It´s not the same we are used to in notebooks and such.

Jhriad

I fail to see a problem here.

And what about the folks who own a 360 and/ or a Wii? Are they expected to have 6 consoles connected so they can play their Virtual Console, Original Xbox, & 360 games? What about PS2 & PSOne? Should consumers be expected to rebuy their libraries for older consoles to play them on the new generation? What happens as we extend the life of the medium out even further? Books & Film don't have this issue where important works are essentially lost to the consuming public but video games do. Everyone should be concerned with not just the preservation of the works being created but the easy availability for those with an interest. Sure pirates will find a way eventually to bring things back on the PC but there should be a commitment by the platforms themselves to preserve the integrity of the experience and, more importantly to their interests, give consumers a greater vested interest in the platform going forward.

This isn't simply a problem of a single generation jump. Platform holders are letting massive catalogs fall by the wayside with each generation, undermining the foundations of the platforms going forward. Users no longer have the more understandable limitation of changes in format (cassette, disk, cart, optical disk, etc) and are instead left with the more ambiguous digital format. A format that with iOS and the relatively recent "revival" of PC gaming users are being taught should be playable on their next iteration of hardware. And the hardware after that. When you buy a new iPhone or a new PC you're coming to expect your old apps and games to work. That expectation should, and will, carry over to users of home consoles. Whether or not the platforms & publishers embrace that expectation and truly try to do something about it remains to be seen.

TL:DR : BC is a larger issue encompassing the need for the older catalogs, not just that of the previous generation, to remain easily accessible to users. A way to preserve the entirety of the art form for future generations.

I'll leave it at that so that I don't continue to derail the thread from the original content.

maverick40

Who got mad? Neogaf...The 1% of the userbase? Trust me the general consumer doesnt care about playing ps2 or ps1 games on ps3. All they want to do is play the latest cod,fifa,nfs etc. The same will happen when the ps4 arrives, people will buy the ps4/720 in droves if they have mw4 and bf4. They wont care about the previous entries.

Racer30

BC is the biggest nonsense ever! If it comes for free, fine. But do not add transitors, or additional cost for the job! None I know ever use it, most dont know its there.

Who buys a new console to play their old games anyway??

Just keep ps3 on the shelf, how hard can it be :D

Rolf NB

At this point in the rumour cycle, a APU is a strong contender for at least PS4.

What do you believe they will have?
Rumor cycles usually don't produce information, only hot air. See the Wii U tech speculation threads for reference.

I think it will have discrete CPU and GPU components. Because that's how things are done when performance is a relevant concern and when both components are ~balanced in silicon budget.
Manufacturing a single 300mm² chip instead of two 150mm² chips has severe implications for yield, from which follow costs; costs that you can't make up for just by saving the external interconnect between the two.

Unbalanced chips? Huge CPU + tiny GPU? Sure. Intel does that. And it makes sense in that constellation.

Actually, I might want to backpedal here. Tiny GPU integrated with a big, bulky CPU might still make some sense in a console, if it were used for a low-power mode (menu, video playback etc), allowing to shut off the hungry proper GPU used for games. Some laptops do it, too. But then the APU graphics core is not really "the GPU", and not something we should get excited for.

THE:MILKMAN

Rumor cycles usually don't produce information, only hot air. See the Wii U tech speculation threads for reference.

I think it will have discrete CPU and GPU components. Because that's how things are done when performance is a relevant concern and when both components are ~balanced in silicon budget.
Manufacturing a single 300mm² chip instead of two 150mm² chips has severe implications for yield, from which follow costs; costs that you can't make up for just by saving the external interconnect between the two.

Unbalanced chips? Huge CPU + tiny GPU? Sure. Intel does that. And it makes sense in that constellation.

Actually, I might want to backpedal here. Tiny GPU integrated with a big, bulky CPU might still make some sense in a console, if it were used for a low-power mode (menu, video playback etc), allowing to shut off the hungry proper GPU used for games. Some laptops do it, too. But then the APU graphics core is not really "the GPU", and not something we should get excited for.

Looking at the PS2 /PS3 what you say seems to make sense. But it looks to me that it is changing now.

All rumours/insider leaks are saying Jaguar cores and I can't see how a separate Jaguar based CPU could reach 150mm^2+ @28nm unless the core count is really high.

I really do hope we get some solid/official news very soon just so we can get our teeth into something.

Top Bottom