• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

balohna

I've used the one that came with my 950. Whether or not its better than the one included with the Switch, I don't know, but it seems to work.

Cool, yeah I did some searching and I guess USB-C won't give devices "too much" power or whatever. The device itself will limit what it can recieve. So it sounds like it's safe. I'd mostly just use it to plug in while playing in bed. My phone's battery life is also fantastic (lasts 2 days easily) so even if I'm not charging while I play, I could play in bed for a bit then charge overnight without having to go put it back in the dock.

Theonik

What's the read speed of extreme and extreme pro? I'm actually surprised that the cart was the slowest.
80/90 MB/s iirc. But the results aren't surprising. Nintendo is likely to be trying to use the cheapest memory they can get away with in the carts and they are quite small.

Toki767

I used it twice with the Switch. Zelda on. Switch still draining in power because it's a USB A to C. I wouldn't recommend it JUST for the Switch.

Is there any battery pack out there that won't drain in power with the Switch on?

To my knowledge the X1 chip just doesn't support the fast charging needed to actually charge the Switch while playing.

BraXzy

I used it twice with the Switch. Zelda on. Switch still draining in power because it's a USB A to C. I wouldn't recommend it JUST for the Switch.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this, what would you recommend just for the switch then? It'd be nice to have something that'd work with my phone too, sure, but I've lived without one just fine.

atbigelow

Is there any battery pack out there that won't drain in power with the Switch on?

To my knowledge the X1 chip just doesn't support the fast charging needed to actually charge the Switch while playing.

It has to, otherwise it wouldn't be able to charge while docked and playing.

And with my Pixel C (which also uses an X1), it can charge and run at the same time and that thing is definitely using more power than the Switch.

Honestly I wish they would have just used USB Power Delivery for this thing. It would have made it at least somewhat easier to sort out.

NeOak

So I have a USB power supply thats input is 100/240 VAC, 0.25 A, 50/60 Hz and the output is 5V 1A. would this work to charge my switch and be fine? I am using the USB C cable from my pro controller with it.
1A? Slowly charge it while on sleep mode.

Play and charge? Nope.

anddo0

Will this supply enough power to play and charge?
I own it, it's older.. Just wondering if I paired it with a type-c cable if it would be sufficient.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEX83LA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
71MwI3q92dL._SL1500_.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bought a new C cord that I've plugged into an iPad power brick, and I'm now noticing that not only does it not stay at 100℅ while playing a game plugged in, but I'm watching it drain down to what's now 88%.

Is this the cord's fault?

I bought a new C cord that I've plugged into an iPad power brick, and I'm now noticing that not only does it not stay at 100℅ while playing a game plugged in, but I'm watching it drain down to what's now 88%.

The cord could be part of the problem, but even the most powerful iPad USB charger isn't enough to deliver full power to the Switch.

If I plan on going all physical (except for the certain games that I need to buy digitally) what size SD card is best? Is 128 overkill? Should I wait to buy are micro sd card prices going to go down significantly anytime soon?

anddo0

This is the cord I purchased; Anker PowerLine+ Micro USB (6ft)

So far, so good.

If I plan on going all physical (except for the certain games that I need to buy digitally) what size SD card is best? Is 128 overkill? Should I wait to buy are micro sd card prices going to go down significantly anytime soon?

Game updates, system updates, game saves etc... get a 128gb to be safe. I saw PNY elite on Newegg for $39 recently. PNY 128GB Elite microSDXC UHS-I/U1 Class 10

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The cord could be part of the problem, but even the most powerful iPad USB charger isn't enough to deliver full power to the Switch.
Ah, is there a certain wattage power brick I need to look for then?

Apharmd

It looks like this is the powerbank to get since it has USB Power Delivery. Kinda pricey, will pick it up when I'm closer to heading off on holiday for the plane.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZILJQ1/

Just know that the battery pack is totally fine, but the wall plug it comes with is not compliant. It'll charge the Switch and the battery pack fine, but if you plug in anything that requests more than 30W (like a MacBook Pro, which I did) it'll supply 45W which it is NOT supposed to do. I emailed RAVPower support and they essentially said "yeah we know" which is not a cool response since they're still selling it

JakeD

I was planning on using junk I had laying around the house as a backup charger but after seeing four days of conflicting opinions suddenly paying $30 for an official power cord doesn't seem so bad

cube444

Sorry if these questions have already been asked. Lots of posts in this topic.

Can the iOrange-E braided USB-C to USB cable be used with the Anker wall charger at the same time you are playing the Switch tablet? Also, do you have to fully charge the Switch tablet battery before playing or anything else along those lines?

P.S. My Anker wall charger is 18W at 2.4A. Now I'm worried that won't cut it if I'm playing and charging at the same time.

Thanks.

Apharmd

So spend $85 to play while charging.

Lol

You can if you're loaded. Personally, I'm going with the RAV powerbank with USB C but without PD. That plus the cable that he used ran me a total of $46, with the RAV20100 discount code included (Cable 10 USD, Bank 36 USD)

CmdBash

So I bought using a cablelist brand usb a to usb c cable with use on my xiaomi powerbank. However I've discovered that the powerbank doesn't charge my switch when the usb a side of the cable is fully plugged in, it only charges my switch when I pull it out a little bit. I've tested out the cable on my laptop and pc, both charge my switch normally but its different with my power bank. Any suggestions?

Now that we know that a standard USB-C to USB-A cable won't charge the Switch while in use, can either the OP or a Mod possibly update the OP's original post to include some affordable & functional USB-C to AC Adapters (since these apparently can charge the device while in use)

datamage

Now that we know that a standard USB-C to USB-A cable won't charge the Switch while in use, can either the OP or a Mod possibly update the OP's original post to include some affordable & functional USB-C to AC Adapters (since these apparently can charge the device while in use)

I thought this worked fine if you used one of those Anker wall chargers?

melman101

Just tested this with my 61W Apple MacBook Pro (I have the 13" touchbar model) charger and it does indeed charge the Switch without issue.

"Official" USB-C cables come with the Joy-Con Charging Grip ($30) and the Pro Controller ($70) - which is a nice bonus if you already wanted one of those...gets you a legit cable, too.

Hey Sk3tch, just confirming that you are still having no issues with the 61W MacBook Pro charger... I want to use it but I am super nervous... Hahaha :)

datamage

I'm hoping so since I ordered the one that was linked a page or two back. Oh well, I'll find out tonight

Same. I've always been weary of using 3rd party chargers in fear that it will damage the battery long term. It charges fine now, but I hope it doesn't kill the battery's longevity.

Top Bottom