• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Every USBC cable works, even the cheap ones because you only need it for charging. If used as a data cable some USBC cables are worse than others but for charging every one is suitable.

gdt

Every USBC cable works, even the cheap ones because you only need it for charging. If used as a data cable some USBC cables are worse than others but for charging every one is suitable.

So I can just go to Walmart tomorrow after work and buy a USB c to USB a cable and plug it into a usb block and charge it at the hotel I'll be staying tomorrow?

Edit: I don't want to go behind my tv and get the cable that came with the system

FyreWulff

So I can just go to Walmart tomorrow after work and buy a USB c to USB a cable and plug it into a usb block and charge it at the hotel I'll be staying tomorrow?

Edit: I don't want to go behind my tv and get the cable that came with the system

USB A won't have the voltage to charge it

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My AC adapter that came with the Switch screwed up and I haven't got my Zelda on in a couple of days. I finally realized that I have another USB-C wall adapter and cord which came with my Nexus 5x. It's rated at 15W which I assume is safe to charge the Switch in portable mode. However, I'm one of those sadist that enjoys playing Zelda on my TV despite it looking better in portable mode. Looking at the Switch AC adapter, I assume that the 39W requirement listed is directly for TV mode. Am I right?

derder

I bought this $11 USB C charging stand from Amazon and it charges, works as a stable, perfectly angled tabletop stand.

It's absolutely not wobbly, even with the controllers attached, and almost rigid with them disconnected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKTR37U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only slightly odd thing is that the USB cable that emerges from the rear, is micro USB - but the charger on the stand is USB C.

Anyway I'm VERY happy with it so far. Solves all my tabletop charging problems and is small and portable to boot.

What charger/cable are you using? I bought this stand and it's not charging my switch, but able to charge my other USB C devices.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What charger/cable are you using? I bought this stand and it's not charging my switch, but able to charge my other USB C devices.

It charges mine normally plugged into my iPad pro brick, my surface brick, the USB on my outlets but not the low voltage iPhone brick and not my tv USB.

I'm using the included micro USB cable from dock to brick

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Smaller chargers will keep it going nicely while playing and charge pretty slowly in sleep mode. Gonna buy a laptop one in a few months for that extra bit of zip.

shiyrley

Banned
My AC adapter that came with the Switch screwed up and I haven't got my Zelda on in a couple of days. I finally realized that I have another USB-C wall adapter and cord which came with my Nexus 5x. It's rated at 15W which I assume is safe to charge the Switch in portable mode. However, I'm one of those sadist that enjoys playing Zelda on my TV despite it looking better in portable mode. Looking at the Switch AC adapter, I assume that the 39W requirement listed is directly for TV mode. Am I right?
NONONONO please don't use the nexus 5x charger with your switch, it's not spec compliant, I can't link you the reddit post because I'm ln mobile but a quick Google search will help you find it

No you can't. The wrong cable will fry your system. A lot of A to C cables aren't compliant. You have to get one that is verified.

sadromeo

This is the USB-A to USB-C cable I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTFFH8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has worked fine with every charger I used and no issues at all. Plus it changes led to indicate when the Switch is fully charged so I don't even have to turn on the Switch to check if it is fully charged or not.

tenchir

I have tested half a dozen USB Type A chargers and 3 different battery banks that output 2.4A; they all output 1.5A to the Switch. I didn't know what makes the 10W Apple charger special in that it can output 2A to the Switch.

NONONONO please don't use the nexus 5x charger with your switch, it's not spec compliant, I can't link you the reddit post because I'm ln mobile but a quick Google search will help you find it

Anyone have this post handy? Is there something specifically off about the 5x charger? It should just default to 5V and be fine so I am curious.

Guessing it is this one? Reading.

Yeah, that top comment aligns with my understanding, though I admit I am not an electrical engineer. Watching the linked video now.

I guess I am not seeing the risk. Dude is using a side-loaded device to force QC voltage draw and fluctuation. Of course that is going to be problematic. Not like the Switch is going to do that. Good to know about, and as been previously mentioned loads of times if you are buying fresh you should just go straight USB-C / PD everything across the board, but the risk of using a QC charger seems practically zilch. The worst would be ruining a cable, and even that is incredibly unlikely.

tenchir

Anyone have this post handy? Is there something specifically off about the 5x charger? It should just default to 5V and be fine so I am curious.

Yeah, that top comment aligns with my understanding, though I admit I am not an electrical engineer. Watching the linked video now.

I guess I am not seeing the risk. Dude is using a side-loaded device to force QC voltage draw and fluctuation. Of course that is going to be problematic. Not like the Switch is going to do that. Good to know about, and as been previously mentioned loads of times if you are buying fresh you should just go straight USB-C / PD everything across the board, but the risk of using a QC charger seems practically zilch. The worst would be ruining a cable, and even that is incredibly unlikely.

One of the safety feature of a true USB-PD charger is that power output from the USB port isn't live or hot. When connecting from a real USB-PD charger to a USB-PD device, the first thing occur is power delivery negotiation between them via vconn wires to establish what power will be delivered, if something is wrong, then no power will be delivered.

I believe QC charger are always 5V hot before the amount power is establish via D+/D- wires. The live 5V isn't dangerous, but the potential is there with 2 different charging tech, especially since QC 2.0/3.0 can go higher voltage.

shiyrley

Banned

No, that's not it. It's specific to the Nexus 5X and 6P chargers. Please read this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4w1xf5/please_check_your_chargers_some_nexus_5x6p/

The C-C cable that comes with the Nexus 5X is fine. The power brick is dangerous.

Here's a random question: I'm travelling to London later this month. I just picked up an Anker USB-C to USB-A cable, and I was planning on charging my Switch (while not in use) either through my iPad brick or connecting directly to my travel power strip (with adapter).

Am I ok with that setup or will I fry something?

linkboy

Google Dual Port 22w USB-C Charger

I have a Nexus 6P and I picked this up last year and it's been my main charger for my phone from the day I got it. Now I've been using it to charge my Switch and Pro Controller as well, when I'm not at home and it works great.

It costs a bit more at $40, but it's a quality charger.

Man trying to find something that isn't going to catch fire or destroy your unit over time is really annoying. It feels like 99% of the stuff out there isn't compliant and is risky to use. I though getting something that is C to C would be safe enough but apparently that's not even a safe assumption anymore. People trying something for 5 min and saying it works doesn't actually mean it really works like it should.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No you can't. The wrong cable will fry your system. A lot of A to C cables aren't compliant. You have to get one that is verified.

No - almost all anecdotal evidence is that 5v 1.5A or higher USB chargers are fine with the switch. USB A is much simpler and should be no risk to charging the switch

USB C - C chargers arenones to be cautious about as the soec is seemingly somewhat fluid

shiyrley

Banned
No - almost all anecdotal evidence is that 5v 1.5A or higher USB chargers are fine with the switch. USB A is much simpler and should be no risk to charging the switch

USB C - C chargers arenones to be cautious about as the soec is seemingly somewhat fluid
...no
With C-C charging. the charger itself may be bad and dangerous so you need to get a good one but the cables are super simple to make.
With A-C charging, the charger itself is probably fine but the cables are dangerous if not done right, because some cheap cables don't have a certain resistor required by the spec, so they try to pass more amps than what USB A can do (2.4A max) and they may fry the charger, and / or the cable, and / or the console.

Since theoricaly the Switch can't charge at anything higher than 2A at 5V a cheap, non-spec compliant cable SHOULD work ok because it's not gonna ask for more than 2.4A anyway. But you do really want that shit near your Switch or in your house? What if you buy a USB-C phone that charges at 3A and you plug that cable? You are risking a lot.

No, that's not it. It's specific to the Nexus 5X and 6P chargers. Please read this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4w1xf5/please_check_your_chargers_some_nexus_5x6p/

The C-C cable that comes with the Nexus 5X is fine. The power brick is dangerous.

Ah, this is good info. Thank you.

I'm a little confused about the DONGDO failure. Nexus 5x is not a QC device, correct? So was this before PD was formally established and is doing its own weird thing to negotiate a higher charge rate which is causing the issue?

Vidiot

Anyone thinking of picking up the hori car charger go for it. My system was at about 70% and I plugged it in and played on my lunch break and by the time I was finished playing it was at 100%. It charges really quick if you're not playing and still at a decent speed while playing.

Poppyseed

No, I don't think the Switch ever pulls more than 18W in docked mode. The reason the power adapter can handle more is that it's designed to accommodate future USB devices, too, like portable hard drives etc, but that's not the Switch's output. That's the DOCK's output.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

Would this be fine for charging the Switch? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCDT7FC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I already have the cable from the pro controller. Sorry if this has been discussed!

I would like to know as well. I actually need 2 wall chargers for myself, especially a multi port one if anything.

If you are buying something new, rather than re-purposing a plug you already own, there really isn't a good reason to get a PowerIQ, VoltageBoost, QuickCharge, or any other of these outdated techs. And worst case scenario, though unlikely, you run into something odd like the Nexus 5X plug discussed above, so why bother with the risk?

Save yourself the trouble and get all the added benefits by going straight to a USB-C PD plug. I know they are a bit harder to find, but personally I'd wait it out. They are only going to become more prevalent. Just in that awkward transition time, unfortunately.

e: noticed Amagon mentioned the multiport. Which I assume means you have multiple USB-A devices you want to charge. There technically shouldn't be anything wrong with using this. Just pointing out if you are buying something fresh specifically for Switch, this wouldn't be high on my list.

Minsc

Gold Member
How do I check what's the voltage of the powerbank? It seems most of the airlines allows 100Wh to 160 Wh.

The Wh is sometimes listed on the back of the powerbank... I doubt it's over 100Wh, even that RAVPower PD one is only 99Wh, and that's a pretty huge one (26,800 mAh). Anything smaller than that should be more than good, the 20,100 mAh RAVPower is 74.3Wh, so unless it's like 30,000 mAh, you don't have to worry. Obviously they need to not be packed in checked luggage, batteries/powerbanks have to go in carry on.

kowhai

Quick question.

Will I be able to use an apple ipad charger to charge the switch? The cable being changed out for USB C obviously.

foltzie1

Would this be fine for charging the Switch? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCDT7FC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I already have the cable from the pro controller. Sorry if this has been discussed!

It should be fine, but you will be charging at a lower rate than the stock adapter.

Anandtech says that the Switch likes to pull no more than 2A no matter what the voltage. Since this adapter only does 5V, you will be stuck at 10W, despite the adapter offering up ~4A.

Lexxism

The Wh is sometimes listed on the back of the powerbank... I doubt it's over 100Wh, even that RAVPower PD one is only 99Wh, and that's a pretty huge one (26,800 mAh). Anything smaller than that should be more than good, the 20,100 mAh RAVPower is 74.3Wh, so unless it's like 30,000 mAh, you don't have to worry. Obviously they need to not be packed in checked luggage, batteries/powerbanks have to go in carry on.
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought I would need some calculations to get the Wh. Good to know it's already listed at the back.

Speaking of the ravpower, it was listed on the Amazon page that it won't work with Nintendo switch. Is that really true?

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought I would need some calculations to get the Wh. Good to know it's already listed at the back.

Speaking of the ravpower, it was listed on the Amazon page that it won't work with Nintendo switch. Is that really true?

No, it should work fine. They're probably just pointing out it doesn't work as fast as the PD one, but I have a RAVPower (non-PD) and it works fine over USB-C. Amazon has a great return policy, so I wouldn't worry if for some odd reason it doesn't. But check the user reviews, I believe a few people have confirmed it to work on basically every model. The PD one will just charge faster (I think it's about 2x faster while playing), but the basic one will charge pretty fast too. If you ever see yourself wanting to use it for a laptop though, you'll definitely want a PD model (but compatibility isn't 100% guaranteed even then, so if it's for a future laptop, I wouldn't worry too much, just hope for the best or replace it down the road).

sadromeo

Alright, so this is indeed all a tad confusing.

I went with the RavPower 20100 charger -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And plan on using the USB A to C cable that came with my Pro controller. And I want to use the iSmart USB A port, not the QC port?

And it sounds like from reading this and other threads that I can play my Switch while it charges - albeit slowly.

True or false?

Thanks!

This is true.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alright, so this is indeed all a tad confusing.

I went with the RavPower 20100 charger -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And plan on using the USB A to C cable that came with my Pro controller. And I want to use the iSmart USB A port, not the QC port?

And it sounds like from reading this and other threads that I can play my Switch while it charges - albeit slowly.

True or false?

Thanks!

The USB A to C cable from the Pro controller seems to limit charging to 5V / 1.5A, a better cable can do 5V / 2.1A.

Better yet, a USB C to C cable from that powerbank to the Switch would get the full 5V / 3A, for the fastest charging (out of that particular powerbank), but you may find the USB A to C cable good enough, if it's not at least you can upgrade to a C to C cable.

shiyrley

Banned
The USB A to C cable from the Pro controller seems to limit charging to 5V / 1.5A, a better cable can do 5V / 2.1A.

Better yet, a USB C to C cable from that powerbank to the Switch would get the full 5V / 3A, for the fastest charging, but you may find the USB A to C cable good enough, if it's not at least you can upgrade to a C to C cable.
The Switch doesn't use the full 3A. Some gaffer did a test and it wouldn't draw more than 2A. The fact that the cable can do 3A doesn't mean the Switch is capable of asking for that amperage.

I still use C-C charging, because I can and it makes sense to use whenever possible, but theoretically an A to C cable will charge at the same speed. (theoretically)

Minsc

Gold Member
The Switch doesn't use the full 3A. Some gaffer did a test and it wouldn't draw more than 2A. The fact that the cable can do 3A doesn't mean the Switch is capable of asking for that amperage.

I still use C-C charging, because I can and it makes sense to use whenever possible, but theoretically an A to C cable will charge at the same speed. (theoretically)

True, but C to C is still slightly better (and this is besides also avoiding the risk inherent to bad quality A to C cables), there's a google spreadsheet of various charging speeds someone made including with the RAVPower PD model (which can provide 15V instead of 5V) that charges 2x faster than a normal USB C to C powerbank without PD.

Either way multiple people have confirmed the A to C cable that comes with the Pro Controller is not capable of delivering even 2A to the switch, and using other USB A to C cables increases the charging rate. Using a C to C cable avoids these guessing games altogether, was my point I guess, and you're going to get the best rate out of your bank that way. You also avoid all those gimmicky USB A port things like iSmart, QC, etc.

Lexxism

No, it should work fine. They're probably just pointing out it doesn't work as fast as the PD one, but I have a RAVPower (non-PD) and it works fine over USB-C. Amazon has a great return policy, so I wouldn't worry if for some odd reason it doesn't. But check the user reviews, I believe a few people have confirmed it to work on basically every model. The PD one will just charge faster (I think it's about 2x faster while playing), but the basic one will charge pretty fast too. If you ever see yourself wanting to use it for a laptop though, you'll definitely want a PD model (but compatibility isn't 100% guaranteed even then, so if it's for a future laptop, I wouldn't worry too much, just hope for the best or replace it down the road).
Ah, that makes sense. I saw a USB c cable with power delivery on it. I guess I will only need this cable if the device I'm getting has PD on it?

Top Bottom