• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Murray at GDC 2017 : Building Worlds Using Math - Q&A too!

I strongly suspect Sony gave him the same media training they'd give any exec presenting live on stage at E3 and put him in touch with PR handlers, if not directly employing ones they'd use before.

Like More_Badass said above, the way NMS as a product was presented isn't any particularly different to how multiple other products have been presented prior to launch.
Sean Murray seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back for whatever reason.
It wasn't different? The mere fact that such an indie studio was elevated to such a level of attention seems different to the presentation of their peers.

EMT0

Banned
Okay procedural. Yes they're bad. Plus we haven't seen all of horizon zero dawn. The environments appear to be pretty lack luster so far.

Let's wait and see how fun the environments are to explore. Yeah?

Also this is Guerilla Games. Let's not forget that.

How you say two diametrically opposing statements with a straight face, I'll never know. So are you jumping the shark by your own admission, or are you going to stand by your claim on Horizon's environments?

Fisty

The game was definitely a technical achievement, regardless of how many times you saw a similar looking animal or whatever people constantly complain about with this game.

I'm sure this event will be ruined in some way, some idiot will think he's being funny or clever and try to disrupt things

legacyzero

Banned
Okay procedural. Yes they're bad. Plus we haven't seen all of horizon zero dawn. The environments appear to be pretty lack luster so far.

4bUV7Ls.gif

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Name an open world game you liked. Surprise, it was procedurally generated. Nobody hand-places all the trees and rocks and grass in something like FF15 or Skyrim or Horizon.

This is why talks like this are important, because when it comes to this technique most people have no clue what it is, how often it's used (a lot), or why advancements in it like the ones in NMS raise all boats.

Honestly, I would love for No Clip to do a piece on NMS. There's a huge story out there that people don't know. I think it would really help Hello Games and get some closure, more than a simple statement could do.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No Mans Sky is a pretty great example of how game development should strive to find the balance between the coders and artists wielding most of the power in a company.

In this case the coder took complete control, ran his mouth for years, and didn't realise far greater asset creation and gameplay were going to be required to make their maths actually interesting to players. What good is some intricate algorithm if all its input is different shades of "shit brown wasp model".

No Mans Sky is a pretty great example of how game development should strive to find the balance between the coders and artists wielding most of the power in a company.

In this case the coder took complete control, ran his mouth for years, and didn't realise far greater asset creation and gameplay were going to be required to make their maths actually interesting to players. What good is some intricate algorithm if all its input is different shades of "shit brown wasp model".

Yes, that's all it did.

Sloane

Banned
So, how was it?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/sean-murray-unveils-hello-labs-will-incubate-more-procedural-tech-games/
arstechnica said:
For starters: Murray and his team made an astonishingly low-ball prediction about how many players would boot the game on its first day. As in, less than 14,000. The team considered that number a high-end estimate of concurrent players, because staffers saw that number attached to recent Steam-use data for the game Far Cry: Primal, which launched shortly before No Man's Sky. "It's a huge game, obviously," Murray said. "That [number] made us a little bit nervous about servers and the sheer number of people booting the game up day one." (The team was tempted to estimate even lower, at around the 3,000-player count of indie game Inside, but staffers at Sony warned Murray to estimate something befitting "a triple-A product.")
That's uh... certainly something. Didn't they have pre-order numbers from Steam and Sony? Didn't they know how much of the PS4 game was shipped to retail? Other than that, not much of interest in that regard apparently.

antyk

I hope guerrilla will also do some technical talk later.

So in Horizon will everyone world look a little bit different based on rock formations and where certain assets are located? Or will it look different every time I go to the area? I'm still confused on how this will work with Horizon so I think a good tech video would also be great from them.

In case you've missed it, GG presentation is available here:
https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/gpu-based-procedural-placement-in-horizon-zero-dawn

Why is NMS the game to be crucifed when there are myriad other "very hyped up games that ended as disappointments"? Like does Clive Barker have to apologize for Jericho, or Ubisoft for Watchdogs, or Haze, and so on, for people to move on?
Those games don't have comparable situations. NMS was a shell of the game Murray promised and he literally went on a cross country promotional tour, appearing on late night tv shows and other high profile programming to lie about what was in the game, even nearly days before release.

He put on the show of this down to earth, plain spoken honest dude and set specific expectations for his game that could never possibly be met.

This isn't the same as watch dogs getting a visual downgrade or being boring. The things Murray was promising, weeks and days prior to release, were astounding.

And before someone tells me I shouldn't have believed the hype or Bought the game, I didn't, and I didn't.

I'm not in any way angry or bitter about NMS, because I was never invested in it. I found the whole situation pre release with its hostile defence force and then the subsequent meltdown on release to be highly amusing. I think they really set a new precedent for mismanaged expectations at best and lied about a whole lot of things at worst.

keraj37

Those games don't have comparable situations. NMS was a shell of the game Murray promised and he literally went on a cross country promotional tour, appearing on late night tv shows and other high profile programming to lie about what was in the game, even nearly days before release.

He put on the show of this down to earth, plain spoken honest dude and set specific expectations for his game that could never possibly be met.

This isn't the same as watch dogs getting a visual downgrade or being boring. The things Murray was promising, weeks and days prior to release, were astounding.

And before someone tells me I shouldn't have believed the hype or Bought the game, I didn't, and I didn't.

I'm not in any way angry or bitter about NMS, because I was never invested in it. I found the whole situation pre release with its hostile defence force and then the subsequent meltdown on release to be highly amusing. I think they really set a new precedent for mismanaged expectations at best and lied about a whole lot of things at worst.

This is good post (a bit offtopic though), and I would like to add my 2 cents.

Grownup man should have courage to say "I really sorry, I was lying.". So in this World, where so called politicians and other people "who love entire world" lie everyday and without any consequences I really like that internet community and gamers didn't let him go lightly with that. Good job guys.

antyk

I think everyone should watch the video linked above.

It is pretty clear that Sean is incredibly enthusiastic about the game and the underlying tech. The number of issues he/they had to solve is staggering and I wish people appreciated the effort. Also, saying that he's "put on the show of this down to earth, plain spoken honest dude" is simply disingenuous because he is exactly that - he is a talented, very clever and experienced programmer whose idea happened to ignite an incredible hype, with people building their unrealistic expectations about what the game is going to be. I subscribe to the view that he - having no PR experience - simply couldn't handle the press and the hype-train it created, couldn't tell "no" to questions and - perhaps? - he really thought and believed those things (multiplayer, surprise at the centre of the universe, etc.) could and will be patched in, even if not at launch.

Having said that, he really should have just go out and apologise, explain what happened and why and then lay out the plan for future updates, so that the world could move on.

I've not played the game yet (open world, let alone open universe is not my type of game) but I will after few more updates and a price drop.

Also, saying that he's "put on the show of this down to earth, plain spoken honest dude" is simply disingenuous because he is exactly that - he is a talented, very clever and experienced programmer whose idea happened to ignite an incredible hype, with people building their unrealistic expectations about what the game is going to be. I subscribe to the view that he - having no PR experience - simply couldn't handle the press and the hype-train it created, couldn't tell "no" to questions and - perhaps? - he really thought and believed those things (multiplayer, surprise at the centre of the universe, etc.) could and will be patched in, even if not at launch.

Sean Murray, talented as he may be, is a scam artist. He deliberately misrepresented his game on numerous occcasions, he claimed that it had features that it never did and he straight up lied multiple times on various media, even until a few days before launch. He and his company could have come clean way before launch, they could have been honest about the game that customers would get at launch and give them the chance to either choose to support them or cancel their preorders and evaluate the finished product later. Scamming your audience and apologizing later doesn't make it ok.

Shit happens during development, we get it. If you want to win the trust of your audience and maintain your credibility you come clean and explain everything in a simple manner before you take people's money. If you take the money knowing full well that you are taking them based on lies and then apologize you are a crook.

Sean Murray, talented as he may be, is a scam artist. He deliberately misrepresented his game on numerous occcasions, he claimed that it had features that it never did and he straight up lied multiple times on various media, even until a few days before launch. He and his company could have come clean way before launch, they could have been honest about the game that customers would get at launch and give them the chance to either choose to support them or cancel their preorders and evaluate the finished product later. Scamming your audience and apologizing later doesn't make it ok.

Shit happens during development, we get it. If you want to win the trust of your audience and maintain your credibility you come clean and explain everything in a simple manner before you take people's money. If you take the money knowing full well that you are taking them based on lies and then apologize you are a crook.

Wow, I haven't heard any of this before.

It's like I said folks, it was "damned if they do, damned if they don't". I saw this coming. I said that nothing they did would scrub clean the internet's impression of them, and here we are, with people singing the same tune over and over again.

Even with the game being vastly improved and excellent in it's own right, stuff like this is still being posted.

Not saying that it's wrong for people to feel this way. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying I can't blame Sean Murray and Co. for keeping the heads down, their mouths shut, and just working nonstop to get the game where it needs to be. Actions speak louder than words.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wow, I haven't heard any of this before.

It's like I said folks, it was "damned if they do, damned if they don't". I saw this coming. I said that nothing they did would scrub clean the internet's impression of them, and here we are, with people singing the same tune over and over again.

Even with the game being vastly improved and excellent in it's own right, stuff like this is still being posted.

Not saying that it's wrong for people to feel this way. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying I can't blame Sean Murray and Co. for keeping the heads down, their mouths shut, and just working nonstop to get the game where it needs to be. Actions speak louder than words.

And damn fine action it was too.

Words speak loud enough. An official announcement before launch about which features will be available on day one, which ones are going to come later down the line and which were scrapped would have sufficed. It would have cost them a number of sales no doubt, but that's what you have to do if you are an honest businessman and a decent person.

JazFiction

Neo Member
Words speak loud enough. An official announcement before launch about which features will be available on day one, which ones are going to come later down the line and which were scrapped would have sufficed. It would have cost them a number of sales no doubt, but that's what you have to do if you are an honest businessman and a decent person.

:)

Noun: antithesis;
1. A person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else.

Top Bottom