• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"See you next Devil May Cry": Splash screen hints at new DMC?

entremet

EyYYhbb.jpg

The plot thickens.

Of course. More project for Platinum is a good thing for him financially speaking.

Learning from his old boss, Inafune, the business genius.

Sesha

I don't want it to thicken

Itsuno's better at doing action game things

Were good, unless he wants to make vietiful joe 3, Then i'm down

It actually doesn't because they have the staff that made the last 2, the best ones. One staff.

There is no need to bring in platinum games for this.

Depends. Kamiya/Team Little Angels do enemy design better than Itsuno and team. DMC1 had the best enemy design of the series, and Bayo 1/2 have far superior enemy design to DMC 3/4.

Shauni

I don't really understand why people think that TGS is a great place for a DMC5 reveal. I mean, yeah, it's a Japanese game, Japanese company, etc, but if it's going to be a console game, like I assume many think and want, would that really be the venue to unveil it? I feel like unveiling most any console game there would probably just be a damp fart to the audience, I would think, unless it's crossgen. Wasn't last TGS pretty much totally barren on the console landscape?

Endo Punk

Ahh cleavage.. I'll never be angry at you :p

anyway, next DMC. Yes please, give a proper return to form and one that takes its level design and tone as seriously as the original did. It's about time!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nothing against Kamiya but I want Itsuno to make DMC5.

There's nothing offensive to Kamiya.

Itsuno is an incredibly talented director that's brought the series to an entire new level. Most importantly, he's an in-house game designer at Capcom. It doesn't make sense for them to outsource the game to them.

Now a Bayo X DMC crossover title? That's a different story.

Sesha

I don't really understand why people think that TGS is a great place for a DMC5 reveal. I mean, yeah, it's a Japanese game, Japanese company, etc, but if it's going to be a console game, like I assume many think and want, would that really be the venue to unveil it? I feel like unveiling most any console game there would probably just be a damp fart to the audience, I would think, unless it's crossgen. Wasn't last TGS pretty much totally barren on the console landscape?

DMC4 had its first proper trailer and DmC got revealed at TGS.

SykoTech

DMC5 seems like a guarantee to me already, but nice to see even more evidence that it's on the horizon.

As for that Kamiya tweet, I'm sure it's just a troll. If not, then I hope he's talking about Viewtiful Joe. Would absolutely love to see VJ3. But for DMC, I'd rather they leave Itsuno at the helm.

DMC5 is never happening

that said, if it was gonna happen(its not), Itsuno would have to do cuz he aint doing shit. Kamiya has Microsoft/Scalebound money now.

I don't see why a DMC5 won't happen, especially after DmC. It seems to be a "thing" nowadays, with some movie franchises, to produce newer installments that not only ignore the more recent "reboots" or "bad sequels", but try to acknowledge the original installments exist. Basically, reboots that not only try to be something new, but don't go out of their way to say the originals never existed. Texas Chainsaw 3D, for as bad as it was, tied itself to the ORIGINAL TCM movie and made like the Platinum Dunes movies never existed(albeit, the movie was shit regardless, especially with some piss poor continuity). Jurassic World makes like Lost World and JP3 didn't exist, and ties itself back to the original. The upcoming Halloween Returns does not continue Rob Zombie's reboot canon, but ties itself back to Carpenter's original(if the rumors are true, 1981's Halloween 2 as well). Hell, call me biased, but I think it's great to see more acknowledgement to original canon over reboot. And in DMC case, fifth installment, bring it on!

Astral Dog

FFXV, for example, is given lots of coverage on TGS, but DmC was revealed too, TGS used to be the most important gaming event after E3, there is no reason to not show a console game.

Village

Depends. Kamiya/Team Little Angels do enemy design better than Itsuno and team. DMC1 had the best enemy design of the series, and Bayo 1/2 have far superior enemy design to DMC 3/4.

I disagree. HEAVILY

No, don't let them do anything and have instuno do everything.

And ape the idea of having levels of actual color and interest from DmC

Blackage

Devil May Cry 4's combat is so goddamn satisfying. No disrespect to Kamiya, but Itsuno did a damn good job. Hell even Devil May Cry 3's combat is great and could have been even better if you could stance dance on the fly like that mod allowed you heh.

Sesha

I disagree. HEAVILY

No, don't let them do anything and have instuno do everything.

And ape the idea of having levels of actual color and interest from DmC

Then I recommend you go back and play DMC1. DMC3s overall enemy design is utter trash. DMC4 is passable. Alto Angelo, Faust and Blitz have the potential to be good. Frosts are neutered versions of their DMC1 counterparts.

Just comparing the basic cannon fodders:

DMC 1
Marionette:
- 5 attacks: short range slash, mid range spin move, long range projectile, grab/fatality, war cry stun move
- blocks & counters repetitive attacks

DMC3
Pride:
- 2 attacks: close range slash, mid range jumping slash
- blocks attacks, never counters

DMC4
Scarecrow (Arm):
- 3 attacks: close range side slash, close range overhead slash, close range double slash
- blocks attacks but only rarely
Scarecrow (Leg)
- 2 attacks: close range overhead slash, mid range spinning slash

Summary: DMC1 rah rah rah. DMC 3/4 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Are you fucking shitting me. Kamiya back on DMC would make me cream my pants.

I would die of hype if the stars somehow aligned and Capcom hired Platinum for this project. But, I am very pessimistic on what they will do with the IP.

I agree with this to some extent, but I love Bayo's enemy design far much more than any DMC game.

Sesha

Lol you sure about that?

well if this E3 has taught me anything, dreams do come true...

He's trolling.

I agree with this to some extent, but I love Bayo's enemy design far much more than any DMC game.

Bayo enemies are in third place after DMC1 and Itagaki Ninja Gaiden.

DmC Dreamrunners would be the best enemy design in the series since DMC1 if it wasn't for their highly telegraphed and predictable teleports.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Then I recommend you go back and play DMC1. DMC3s overall enemy design is utter trash. DMC4 is passable. Alto Angelo, Faust and Blitz have the potential to be good. Frosts are neutered versions of their DMC1 counterparts.

Just comparing the basic cannon fodders:

DMC 1
Marionette:
- 5 attacks: short range slash, mid range spin move, long range projectile, grab/fatality, war cry stun move
- blocks & counters repetitive attacks

DMC3
Pride:
- 2 attacks: close range slash, mid range jumping slash
- blocks attacks, never counters

DMC4
Scarecrow (Arm):
- 3 attacks: close range side slash, close range overhead slash, close range double slash
Scarecrow (Leg)
- 2 attacks: close range overhead slash, mid range spinning slash

Summary: DMC1 rah rah rah. DMC 3/4 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Something I would like to mention is that DMC3 is one of the first games to feature behavioral changes in enemy A I depending on the squad. Your prides will become more defensive and scared when seeing one of his comrades die, which would also.lead into DT on DMD mode.

There are fewer moves per enemy, but more enemy combinations in DMC3. I think that's interesting in and of itself.

Sesha

Dreamrunners teleport far less in Definitive edition by the way.

That's cool. I must have skipped it when reading the changelog. If only those poopheads at Capcom could release a PC version.

Something I would like to mention is that DMC3 is one of the first games to feature behavioral changes in enemy A I depending on the squad. Your prides will become more defensive and scared when seeing one of his comrades die, which would also.lead into DT on DMD mode.

There are fewer moves per enemy, but more enemy combinations in DMC3. I think that's interesting in and of itself.

I'm aware, but I consider AI and encounter design to be separate things. Later DMC games are definitely better at mixing up the encounters. I actually think it's a rather unappreciated aspect of DmCs design.

Seyavesh

mooks should just be mooks. love that they exist as target practice, it's a somewhat key element with such an open-ended system

tbh i'm not actually sure what i'm looking for in terms of more substantial enemy design besides "don't make me have to do shit like in DmC where i have to parry them to open them up to being vulnerable to offense"
a very big thing i enjoy in DMC3/4 is how you can engage pretty much every enemy with relentless offense to some degree barring certain ones like the zappy lightning guys from 4- being forced to sit around and wait with so many options available to you just reeks of poor/bad design to me

Village

No i've played it. 3 and 4 my favorites, so not feeling ya.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't get the shocking part. Even if there's no DMC5, they can always say it is referring to DmC for PC (in the sense that it is a newer DMC title to DMC4) or perhaps they are planning a DmC Definitive edition PC port. It can mean more than just DMC5.

that entire conversation could be something fans/devs can have with the Capcom

fans (Lady): We were just getting to the best part!

7 years later

devs (Trish): I didn't know you were into that kind of thing
Capcom (Dante): So are we getting paid for this?
fans: Don't worry, I will pay you when we get back...
Capcom: Alright... Let's blow this joint..
devs: Well at least someone knows how to get the fans... *looks at Platinum games*
Capcom: yeah.... hey... *runs after fans and devs*

DMC5 plz

Top Bottom