• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"See you next Devil May Cry": Splash screen hints at new DMC?

It's slowly becoming Capcom's worst kept secret with all the hints we've got.
Honestly I hope all the talk about getting DMC4:SE sales up for the serie's future is just PR talk and DMC5 is at least 1 year into development. Now that we know that Capcom outsourced some part of DMC4:SE to an outside studio, it is definitely possible that Itsuno has been switching between both projects..

Shauni

Honestly I hope all the talk about getting DMC4:SE sales up for the serie's future is just PR talk and DMC5 is at least 1 year into development. Now that we know that Capcom outsourced some part of DMC4:SE to an outside studio, it is definitely possible that Itsuno has been switching between both projects..

I think people have mentioned that the whole Capcom test thing with DMC4:SE was like a mistranslation or something, and that wasn't actually said.

Mr. X

The teasing is too much.

Oh the thought of DMC splitting where Kamiya continues after his DMC1 and Itsuno reimagines DMC1 through what he did in DMC3 and 4.

Give me 2 DMC, Capcom!

People make fun of Nomura's designs, but check out that "collarbone belt." What the hell is that for?

That looks like it is part of a shoulder holster. Usually the strap would go lower on the torso, but the only part that is truly outlandish to me is how it is outside her shirt around her shoulders yet it goes beneath her lapel and collar. She would have to have slits on the seam of the lapel to allow for the strap to run through, which is a bit on the silly side, but then again... Devil May Cry.

I think people have mentioned that the whole Capcom test thing with DMC4:SE was like a mistranslation or something, and that wasn't actually said.
They do have those surveys on the future of the franchise though, only packaged with DMC4:SE physical copies. Part of me wonders if Capcom might outsource DMC again because all their recent games have been outscoured. DMC4:SE, SF5 to dimps (like SF4), probably all the remakes.. Maybe they are developing DD online by themselves... PG is being used a hella lot for outsourcing now...
No sequel to DmC? Lame
getout.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just want to say thank God it's a return to DMC. Back to Itsuno, where it belongs. A return to form after some some notable missteps.

Mizerman

Man, I hope to see an announcement of DMC5 soon. Especially with it being done internally.

Not that I have to worry about it...much.

Illucio

Banned
Devil May Cry X Dmc. Let the two different universes crossover, and let original Dante show the kid how it's done with style.

Squishy3

They do have those surveys on the future of the franchise though, only packaged with DMC4:SE physical copies. Part of me wonders if Capcom might outsource DMC again because all their recent games have been outscoured. DMC4:SE, SF5 to dimps (like SF4), probably all the remakes.. Maybe they are developing DD online by themselves... PG is being used a hella lot for outsourcing now...

getout.gif
Well, there's nothing wrong with outsourcing inherently, especially given that the heavy lifting on DMC4SE is done by Access Games, it's when the design talent isn't there to back it up.

It's when outsourcing is given to incompetent teams, be it technical or in respect to design, recent examples would be USF4 on PS4, stuff like that.

CmdBash

Please let it be DmC:DE pc, really want to get into it seeing as I've heard good things about the changes they've made.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol

and I ain't exactly on a "side"

I'm all for them co-existing if the suits at Capcom decide that's how they want it to fly, but the fact is that's unlikely. DmC was the last large budget game, and the classic series is long overdue.

At this point, it's either or, so there are absolutely sides.

What if it's DmC 2 but itsuno is in the lead?
That would be mighty interesting.

I'd definitely be interested. As long as Itsuno is the lead, development is handled by Capcom, and the storytelling isn't touched by Tameem and co. That said, I'd still prefer a classic entry.

I'm super excited for a proper DMC5, and I really hope it's in the works. That being said, I wouldn't mind also getting a sequel to DmC. I thought it was a pretty good game. DMC's miles ahead of DmC though, and DMC5 is what I want the most.

What if it's DmC 2 but itsuno is in the lead?
That would be mighty interesting.
I wouldn't be interested, there seems like no point for this to happen. I don't think NT's approach to DmC's story was much better than the previous DMC games. In fact I think DMC3 had a much better story. NT really should have hired the writer for Heavenly Sword to pen the story, because DmC had such a mediocre narrative with inferior versions of Dante and Vergil (with very flat personalities). Maybe if the original concepts NT had came to fruition we might have gotten a better story? But as it stands the only good narrative part of DmC was Vergil's down fall..

So at this point either let NT do DmC2, or let Itsuno do DMC5. NT learned how to make good combat so DmC2 might be better than DmC. And Capcom most likely only has a budget for one game.

Seyavesh

DmC's story/characters are so bad that it would've actually been better to have a twist ending where dante randomly goes evil instead of vergil and shoots the fetus/goes "hey lets rule mankind". followed by getting to play as vergil for the rest of the game. at least he's dmc-ish in how much of a goober he is plus it would actually be something interesting instead of the crap we got

although that ties into my bias of how infinitely more fun i find vergil to play than dante in that game and definitely would've left a significantly less sour taste in my mouth as a narrative deal than the entirety of that game and vergil's downfall

Jawmuncher

My whole thing is I want to see something that would make both fans happy. I guess you can never fully satisfy both with one game. But there's gotta be something that would at least be close.

DMC and DmC fans are basically where the Old age RE Vs New RE fans are at.

With those who enjoy both just stuck in the cross fire.

Dahbomb

Itsuno created DmC2 would actually be worse than a NT created DmC2.

At least worse for the people who enjoyed DmC.

Let Itsuno create DMC5 and if NT is interested again they can try DmC2 again. As long as Capcom makes it clear that development of one game does not hinder the other, most of the reasonable fans will be ok with it.

Jawmuncher

Itsuno created DmC2 would actually be worse than a NT created DmC2.

At least worse for the people who enjoyed DmC.

Let Itsuno create DMC5 and if NT is interested again they can try DmC2 again. As long as Capcom makes it clear that development of one game does not hinder the other, most of the reasonable fans will be ok with it.

I guess the case would be if Capcom will come out and say that's the plan. With a retail release of DmC I would like to think that is indeed their intention. To perhaps switch off on the series.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My whole thing is I want to see something that would make both fans happy. I guess you can never fully satisfy both with one game. But there's gotta be something that would at least be close.

There's no way this would be the case with an Itsuno made DmC. People who are fans of Itsuno designed combat would be willing to take the plunge, but wouldn't be fully happy at not getting the classic series. People who enjoyed DmC for specifically the characters and story wouldn't be interested in the game at all.

Dahbomb

The good thing about Itsuno is that he isn't going to ignore the good stuff put in DmC when making DMC5. Even with Vergil in 4SE, the DmC mechanics are present within that character. He will most definitely cop other stuff from DmC as well for DMC5.

Thing is that a good portion of the DmC fans give fuck all about the mechanics in the game and are perfectly fine with playing the game at 30FPS and no lock on. There was such little participation by these so called DmC only fans during the definitive edition's release. Basically the same old DMC players participating, playing and exploring the game.

Jawmuncher

Shame that unless they keep both series going, looks like it's basically one over the other. Even with influences from both in either game.

Head.spawn

EyYYhbb.jpg

The plot thickens.

no way.

don't play with my emotions.

it actually just threw it into a coffin when it didn't perform to expectations and they're hoping the special edition of a DMC game the fans do like will bring it back.

Actually the sales of Ninja Theory DMC is now to ok levels. With the Definitive Edition (which according to ezekial has went beyond sales expectations) it has sold over 2 million. The worst selling DMC game is Devil May Cry 2, as it should be since it's the worst. This notion that Ninja Theory's DmC is some kind of sales disaster is simply not true anymore. It also in a way succeeded because it's simpler gameplay mechanics introduced players to enjoy free form combat who were maybe previously intimated by DMC3 and DMC4's high level of entry regarding skill and execution.

DmC was a ton of fun. But at the same time it really doesn't compare to the OG DMC games. And to those who delude themselves into thinking that DmC is better than DMC3 or DMC4 need to get a reality check and stop playing these games on automatic mode.

Mizerman

Actually the sales of Ninja Theory DMC is now to ok levels. With the Definitive Edition (which according to ezekial has went beyond sales expectations) it has sold over 2 million. The worst selling DMC game is Devil May Cry 2, as it should be since it's the worst.

I've been meaning to ask, but is there any source for that?

Hoping for DmC2. The old DMC series is OK but the reboot really saved that franchise.

...No, it didn't.

The franchise wasn't in any danger at all before they did the reboot. DMC4 is their highest selling game and they was still further interest in the classic series.

The notion that DmC "saved" something is beyond my understanding.

Dahbomb

Hoping for DmC2. The old DMC series is OK but the reboot really saved that franchise.
I know people prefer DmC and that's perfectly fine but people need to realize that DmC put the series in jeopardy because of its lackluster sales. It didn't save DMC at all, it just resulted in worse relations between fans and Capcom. NT had to fix so much stuff in DmC DE and then re-release a 7 year old game to restore fan confidence in the series.

Arion

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into another "DmC is BAD vs I liked it regardless" discussions. It's like a clash of religious ideologies at this point. Neither sides are going to change each others mind.

sleepykyo

DMC and DmC fans are basically where the Old age RE Vs New RE fans are at.

With those who enjoy both just stuck in the cross fire.

Well there is the difference that the reception to the new RE was considerably more favorable and RE became a transmedia franchise that Square dreams of.

Hasney

If its DmC 2 I swear to God I'll fly over to Japan and punch someone...

What, like randomly someone in Japan? Just off the plane and punch the first person you see while yelling FUCK DmC
Devil May Cry X Dmc. Let the two different universes crossover, and let original Dante show the kid how it's done with style.

I'd be alright with that. Just keep Ninja Theory away from the game and it'll all work out.

Top Bottom