• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

iidesuyo

Bug Too! actually does have some benefits when going to an HD resolution. Not as much of a pixelated mess as one would imagine.

Yes, I am very pleasantly surprised. It does make some difference. One can actually read what's on the gravestone in the background.

Here is another platformer, Pandemonium...

Ah, Pandemonium. It was quite popular back in the day but has been completely forgotten. With the internal resolution the character looks like a 2D sprite.

Thanks for your effort!

Xbudz

And a non-platformer, Road Rash:

0wNyE96.png

The menu's are really bugged, sometimes I will get black screens and other times the game will freeze. But the actual in game racing works fine.

Ahh yes, Road Rash!
I was curious how this would scale... not bad!
I wasn't able to get this to work myself. Always with the black screen.

BTW, it makes it more difficult to include a shared image when replying to a post if you wrap them in quotes themselves.

I want to cut my eyes on the fullscreen polygons and pixels!!!

Pandemonium! You really are digging in the archives.

Loved me some Saturn back in the day, its Quake and Duke Nukem ports were my first owned versions of the games. (Neighbors had PC, we didn't.)

Please keep the images coming! I'm installing Quake now...

TLZ

Banned
Damn... Saturn games look way worse than N64 ones in HD resolutions.

For me these consoles are only bearable with CRT resolutions and shaders.

I'm currently playing through Paper Mario N64 using M64Py in 1080p on my TV and it looks fabulous imo. Looks so beautiful I almost forget it's a 90's game. Looks like the N64 was a beast for it's time. I didn't have one, had a PS1 and now I wish I had a N64 then :( If only Nintendo took the CD route back then, it would've pwned everything around it.

dock

It's pretty fascinating that VF2 and FM have high-res character models and a low-res arena.

It was common for Saturn coders to run the characters and the background through different processors, so they wouldn't interact at all before ending up on the screen. Shining Force 3 IIRC re-purposes the sound processor (!) for the fight scene backgrounds freeing up the main processor for the 3D models.

dogen

It was common for Saturn coders to run the characters and the background through different processors, so they wouldn't interact at all before ending up on the screen. Shining Force 3 IIRC re-purposes the sound processor (!) for the fight scene backgrounds freeing up the main processor for the 3D models.

They most likely used the SCU(stands for saturn control unit) DSP, which was not really intended for sound uses. The sound chip itself had it's own dsp.

Crayon

This is awesome. Thanks. I have multiple saturns. It's my favorite sega system. Maybe favorite. Maybe tied with Genesis.

Some of the games with high resolution (for the time) models look pretty great like Virtua Fighter, and the racing games. Others have so much going on in the game every model is low and everything kind of blends together, its hard to tell whats going on in the game haha.

My last Saturn stopped reading discs and I sold it off. Cool niche little console for collecting. Wish Sega would sell some emulated Saturn games or something. Sega has done literally nothing with games from that console I think. Every other console has had at least some games brought back.

dogen

Wish Sega would sell some emulated Saturn games or something. Sega has done literally nothing with games from that console I think. Every other console has had at least some games brought back.

They're not exactly easily portable, and probably wouldn't be popular enough to develop an emulator.

c0de

So one year later, mednafen offers almost perfect emulation of Saturn and Yabause is still the only emulator being able to render through opengl and there are no apparent efforts to make yabause better with the work that went into mednafen :(

BigEmil

The unaffected effects and GUI etc is way too distracting

Terrible inconsistency which i hate about emulators and not to mention bad accuracy in visuals and audio too

Tain

The unaffected effects and GUI etc is way too distracting

Terrible inconsistency which i hate about emulators and not to mention bad accuracy in visuals and audio too

While I agree that I wouldn't want to play through entire games this way, I do like getting a glimpse of what they look like at higher native resolutions now and then.

You should try uoYabause; it's an Android port with new features but it also has a Windows version. The best thing about it is that it uses tessellation for better distorted sprite drawing (for instance, compare Sonic's eyes):

r5mI9Ne.png

024.png

I didn't see this post earlier. I gave uoYabause a try, and the perspective correction actually fixes the horrible BioHazard faces when viewed in HD. This isn't 4k, it is only 1920x1440, but here is the comparison...

No perspective correction:

Perspective Correction:

The vertices still "swim" but now the polygons in Jill's face aren't completely broken.

Seik

Banned
I thought Yabause wasn't up to snuff compared to SSF, is that still the case?

For some reason, those screeshots in OP reminds me of DS emulation in HD. :lol

cj_iwakura

Gorgeous OP, but yeah, sign me up for some Dragon Force. It's the pinnacle of Saturn power.

015-1.jpg

PS2 version, also:
DragonForce020.jpg

(From the PS3 PSN, hence in HD, sorta.)

DragonForce018.jpg

DragonForce011.jpg

I thought Yabause wasn't up to snuff compared to SSF, is that still the case?

For some reason, those screeshots in OP reminds me of DS emulation in HD. :lol

Yabause compatibility is still all over the place. There are still a lot of bugs in working games, and quite a few titles still don't work right at all.

gelf

I think (uo)Yabause is the best emulation option when a game is actually compatible but your milage will vary a lot depending on what you want to play.

I do know the entire Panzer Dragoon series is playable in Yabause with just some graphical glitches in select areas in Saga. I've beaten them all in the emulator.

McCHitman

Banned
Does anyone have any video of these running in 4k?

I've looked through the thread and didn't see anything, would love to see Virtua Fighter 1 in motion at this resolution.

iidesuyo

Sorry for the late bump, but are there any high resolution pics of the Sega Rally splitscreen mode? I would love to see the difference in the 3D models of the cars and environment.

Top Bottom