• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

Xbudz

Amazing. Sega Saturn Daytona USA still looks like shit in 4K.

Yeah it does. Honestly, I just wanted to play the Panzer Dragoon games with that resolution. The rest just became a curiosity. I'll be sure to post more images from Panzer Dragoon when I have more time. Such a lovely game.

whats wrong with yabause specificially?

Is it just compatibility with most titles?

Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, and Princess Crown have had no issues with me so far, and the first 2 i've played on my much lower spec surface pro 3

edit: OT, most of these saturn games look like hot dog shit. They dont' hold up

whats wrong with yabause specificially?

Is it just compatibility with most titles?

Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, and Princess Crown have had no issues with me so far, and the first 2 i've played on my much lower spec surface pro 3

edit: OT, most of these saturn games look like hot dog shit. They dont' hold up

I think the problem with Yabause is that the Saturn is insanely complicated and Yabause's goal is multiplatform and things like what OP is doing rather than perfect emulation like SSF. Also, the guy who writes SSF is probably the only person in the world who truly understands the system. I wish SSF would be open sourced so I could use it on other OSes but at this point I don't see myself using anything other than the real hardware with RGB outputted to a CRT.

Here's a couple more:

1uKIGlq.jpg

elnR1IA.jpg

Quake

Quake on the Saturn looks really good in HD. Obviously there are much better ways to play Quake, but this was a tremendous port. I can;t get this to run at all on any of the Yabause variants in OpenGL.

Xbudz

Quake on the Saturn looks really good in HD. Obviously there are much better ways to play Quake, but this was a tremendous port. I can;t get this to run at all on any of the Yabause variants in OpenGL.

It was a real pain to even get those two screens. The game crashes very quickly.
I had a very hard time getting it to run in the first place. The only Yabause that would run it is that weird hacked version from last December.

It was indeed an amazing port though. Lobotomy built such an amazing engine.
Power Slave and Duke 3D used it as well I believe.

c0de

I'm amazed people express their dislike for upscaled graphics from Saturn. I love upscaled graphics as they often show love for detail which can be missed because of low resolution.
I like it for psx, nds and I especially like it seeing in Saturn games.

Shaneus

Interesting to note that the weapon isn't upscaled, meaning it was a sprite and not "true" 3D.

I also have a feeling that both Quake and Duke 3D both ran on the... um... Powerslave/Exhumed engine? Apparently Lobotomy were god-tier in wringing the most out of the Saturn's 3D capabilities (as far as FPS games go).

Edit: Yup, according to the Powerslave wiki:
The same engine was used to power the Sega Saturn versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake.

I'm amazed people express their dislike for upscaled graphics from Saturn. I love upscaled graphics as they often show love for detail which can be missed because of low resolution.
I like it for psx, nds and I especially like it seeing in Saturn games.

This works both ways. I still play Saturn titles as they were intended on a CRT and they look great. As the above poster had said, the quake shot was hard to take because it was crashing. Looks nice for sure, but if it's unplayable what's the point.

Xbudz

This works both ways. I still play Saturn titles as they were intended on a CRT and they look great. As the above poster had said, the quake shot was hard to take because it was crashing. Looks nice for sure, but if it's unplayable what's the point.

Most of the games I've taken screens from are perfectly playable. I had trouble with Quake, Solar Eclipse and Virtua Racing. That said, the newer variations of Yabause are pretty decent.

My actual Saturn is hooked up with RGB to HDMI for when I feel like a more natural experience. That or SSF.
It's no CRT, but enjoyable just the same.

Xbudz

If I have a good PC what's the best emulator to use. Preferably one I can use my Saturn discs directly with.

You can use a Saturn CD with either SSF or Yabause.
I'd suggest SSF if you want accurate emulation or Yabause if you want to tweak graphic options.

SSF is your best bet.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
It was a real pain to even get those two screens. The game crashes very quickly.
I had a very hard time getting it to run in the first place. The only Yabause that would run it is that weird hacked version from last December.

It was indeed an amazing port though. Lobotomy built such an amazing engine.
Power Slave and Duke 3D used it as well I believe.

How did the manage to get Sega Rally so perfect yet the models on Daytona USA look completely different than the arcade version!!! Such a shame!

Synth

How did the manage to get Sega Rally so perfect yet the models on Daytona USA look completely different than the arcade version!!! Such a shame!

Daytona USA was just unfortunate enough to get caught up in the launch rushed port shenanigans. Sega later got its act together after the rather embarrassing ports of Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA and later Model 2 ports came out surprisingly well (Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Sega Rally etc). Unfortunately, rather than fix Daytona USA up with a VF Remix style re-port, they instead opted to create Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition, which whilst on point technically, was a completely different game in feel and car design.

onken

Ah yes Saturn Quake - sprites for guns, never forget.

I tried playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on this but it just returns to the main menu after the first cut scene, boo ;/

c0de

This is the closest comparison that I can get....

PS1:
qO3DZaq.png

Saturn:
ew8iEMb.png

PS1:
WbhYtg2.png

Saturn:
OmEQ2aF.png

PS1:
tiY2M3G.png

Saturn:
4yzFHPV.png

PS1:
gTH3kkF.png

Saturn:
ho7nSnK.png

Thanks, that is awesome! I am surprised to see gouraud shading on Jill, to be honest. And she really looks absolutely bad on these images on the Saturn and I wonder why because it doesn't seem to be related to the number of polygons.

Thanks, that is awesome! I am surprised to see gouraud shading on Jill, to be honest. And she really looks absolutely bad on these images on the Saturn and I wonder why because it doesn't seem to be related to the number of polygons.

Maybe is related to the emulator. ePSXe (I think) is far more developed than Yabause. I thing is hard to thing Capcom delivering a product with that kind of ugly faces, hiding behind low resolutions.

Or maybe quads have some problems with textures?

Maybe is related to the emulator. ePSXe (I think) is far more developed than Yabause. I thing is hard to thing Capcom delivering a product with that kind of ugly faces, hiding behind low resolutions.

I have no experience programming quads but my educated guess would be that texture mapping quads would be easier. Most likely it is either an emulator problem or Capcom didn't think it was important because it looked fine on actual hardware at normal resolution with the quirks of a CRT.

c0de

I don't know if it is a problem with quads, tbh. Generally textures looked always worse on Saturn but maybe that is also because of some memory problems.
What I wonder is whether it is possible to add mipmapping afterwards - this would help some blocky textures, perhaps.

Also, can anyone try Tomb Raider? I loved playing that game on Saturn and was never again so surprised by graphics, tbh. Truly revolutionary for its time.

This is the closest comparison that I can get....

PS1:
qO3DZaq.png

Saturn:
ew8iEMb.png

PS1:
WbhYtg2.png

Saturn:
OmEQ2aF.png

PS1:
tiY2M3G.png

Saturn:
4yzFHPV.png

PS1:
gTH3kkF.png

Saturn:
ryyuzcT.png

The Saturn version looks... interesting, to say the least.

Come to think about it, this comparison would probably be helped if someone also included DS port's screengrabs, but that might be too much to hope for, right?

ss_lemonade

I remember the saturn ending credits using scenes from the psx version. Or I guess they were from the playstation because they had gouraud shaded models

c0de

The Saturn version looks... interesting, to say the least.

Come to think about it, this comparison would probably be helped if someone also included DS port's screengrabs, but that might be too much to hope for, right?

Well, at least there is a way to upscale ds graphics through a hacked emulator.
I think this is really an interesting topic and an opportunity to compare games even more from that time.

Well, at least there is a way to upscale ds graphics through a hacked emulator.
I think this is really an interesting topic and an opportunity to compare games even more from that time.

Hehe.

If only the Nintendo DS got more N64 ports, then we'd have even more comparisons! :p

But I guess I can settle with this... and, man, now I want to see even more old (and not-so-old, in case of DS) games in super-high-res.

gelf

I don't think Yabause is anywhere close to being up to the standard of Playstation emulators for these kind of comparisons to be worth anything really.

Xbudz

I don't think Yabause is anywhere close to being up to the standard of Playstation emulators for these kind of comparisons to be worth anything really.

Yeah, the PS1 comparisons are a bit depressing.
Yabause doesn't even render all the polygons sometimes and I'm pretty sure we are all well aware that Saturn has inferior 3D capabilities.

Let's just enjoy how special Saturn looks in HD. Haha.

c0de

Hehe.

If only the Nintendo DS got more N64 ports, then we'd have even more comparisons! :p

But I guess I can settle with this... and, man, now I want to see even more old (and not-so-old, in case of DS) games in super-high-res.

Seriously, I am dying to see an upscaled version of xeno running at the same resolution on dolphin and citra to see the differences when resolution is equal.

gelf

I've been bashing Yabause a little but one game I have found does work decently(bar the sound being slightly off) is Panzer Dragoon Zwei. I recorded a 1080p vid of a level a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfrr-mxXbPQ

Zwei actually has a widescreen mode too, so no ugly stretching. And I think it upscales fairly nicely.

I don't know if it is a problem with quads, tbh. Generally textures looked always worse on Saturn but maybe that is also because of some memory problems.
What I wonder is whether it is possible to add mipmapping afterwards - this would help some blocky textures, perhaps.

The textures definitely are worse in the Saturn version, they are lower resolution and lack the colour depth of the PS1 game. The models actually look alright, they are constructed of less geometry , or maybe that's just a result of using quads. The weirdness in the faces seem to happen because of vertices that are out of alignment which does cause tearing in geometry. The smaller the model is on screen, the more broken the faces become. The character bodies do have much less clipping to them though.

Also, can anyone try Tomb Raider? I loved playing that game on Saturn and was never again so surprised by graphics, tbh. Truly revolutionary for its time.

Unfortunately Tomb Raider is barely playable on Yabause....

vEUQK0l.png

I have tried to run the game on three different versions of Yabause and they all have similar results, the game is just broken under software rendering and OpenGL.

Xbudz

I've been bashing Yabause a little but one game I have found does work decently(bar the sound being slightly off) is Panzer Dragoon Zwei. I recorded a 1080p vid of a level a while ago:

Zwei actually has a widescreen mode too, so no ugly stretching. And I think it upscales fairly nicely.

Great video! Yeah, the Panzer Dragoon games are an absolute joy to play with the added visual clarity. It's the whole reason I started this thread.

Thanks for sharing!

Well that was great. Love all the detail in the dragon.

All this Saturn talk is increasing my itch for great IQ on my TV other than my CRT. I'm viewing SCART cables and HDMI converters to play my Saturn on my LCD :p

Xbudz

I wanna see some 4K dragon force pics, those fist size sprites oh yeah!
Where my Dragon Force at
^ Haha, That game is so Japanese.. I don't even know how to get to the battle scenes which is what I would want to take a screenshot of.

I'd love to see more Burning Rangers screens in 4K.
^ Noted. I'll be sure to share more when I get the chance.

Any chance of seeing Last Bronx....
^ I can't manage to get Last Bronx to run at all :(

Any pics of NBA Jam TE? I've been playing that a good amount recently on my Saturn.
^ Noted for later :)

Where are Panzer Dragoon Saga pics!
Show me Panzer Dragoon Saga, please! :D
Are there Panzer Dragoon Saga pics?
^ I'll have to give this a try. My save file is on my actual Saturn though, so I'll have to play through a little bit of the game on emulator first, if I can even get it to work properly. Others have had issues with this game.

All this Saturn talk is increasing my itch for great IQ on my TV other than my CRT. I'm viewing SCART cables and HDMI converters to play my Saturn on my LCD :p
It's worth it. I did the same.

I bought this converter, not bad for the price..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-HDMI-Converter-Upscaler-1080p-HD-Video-Converter-forDVD-Set-top-Box-HD-/371146707591?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

Although if you can afford it, get the Framemeister.
https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit
^This will be mine someday.

s_mirage

Although if you can afford it, get the Framemeister.
https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit
^This will be mine someday.

A word of caution: the Framemeister isn't perfect for the Saturn. Some Saturn games switch between 240p and 480i while in game, however, the Framemeister takes 2+ seconds to resync when they do this. It's bloody annoying, and even worse on a modded PAL Saturn, where the Framemeister fails to correctly sync when it switches to 480i (it syncs again properly if you switch image processing mode IIRC).

Timu

I had one of those converters and it blurred the image so much in motion that I took it back. It might be ok for 3D games, but for 2D, eh.

A word of caution: the Framemeister isn't perfect for the Saturn. Some Saturn games switch between 240p and 480i while in game, however, the Framemeister takes 2+ seconds to resync when they do this. It's bloody annoying, and even worse on a modded PAL Saturn, where the Framemeister fails to correctly sync when it switches to 480i (it syncs again properly if you switch image processing mode IIRC).
Most 3D fighters do that stupid res switching, though on my upscaler it's not as bad since it sticks to one res no matter the res switching.

Top Bottom