• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also dont understand how its the "unfunniest" sitcom of all time. if you dont like it, well then thats your bad taste, but cmon.

what about shows like "joey", george lopez, family matters etc, how can those be less funny than seinfeld?

I also dont understand how its the "unfunniest" sitcom of all time. if you dont like it, well then thats your bad taste, but cmon.

No, it's not. It's just someone's taste. If it's being presented in an obnoxious way like in the OP, then there's cause to take issue, but it is perfectly acceptable to dislike something like Seinfeld. I personally don't find it very funny, but I think it's a product of its time; the things it did to innovate are commonplace now and consequently less impressive. Also, just because I don't really find it funny doesn't mean I dislike it, or hold it in disrespect. Shitloads of people think it's hilarious, and they're not wrong. If one person laughs at something then it's funny, in some respect, to them. With Seinfeld, millions of people adore it, and things millions of people like have merit, whether you can see it or not. On a certain level, there's something people appreciate.

Put me in the Friends camp. I've had the displeasure of watching several Seinfeld episodes and I hated every single one of them.

Ok, Ok.. I'm outta here!

x2mc9.gif

goodfella

Well I've only just started watching it recently, and I'm 19, and it is very funny to me.
The whole, not relatable argument is false. Nothing significant has changed from then that would make the jokes or themes redundant.

It's lovely how you quoted people who agreed with you in your OP.

No, it's not. It's just someone's taste. If it's being presented in an obnoxious way like in the OP, then there's cause to take issue, but it is perfectly acceptable to dislike something like Seinfeld. I personally don't find it very funny, but I think it's a product of its time; the things it did to innovate are commonplace now and consequently less impressive. Also, just because I don't really find it funny doesn't mean I dislike it, or hold it in disrespect. Shitloads of people think it's hilarious, and they're not wrong. If one person laughs at something then it's funny, in some respect, to them. With Seinfeld, millions of people adore it, and things millions of people like have merit, whether you can see it or not. On a certain level, there's something people appreciate.

Opinion or not, i actually think it is possible to have "bad taste".

If someone tells me their favourite music artists are NKOTB, Color Me Badd and Backstreet boys, i will think they have a bad taste in music. I dont just mean a "different" taste to mine, i mean unequivocal bad taste.

Never got the appeal, maybe 3 or 4 chuckle-worthy moments in the shows massive history, and thats that. Its not the worst comedy ever, that goes to shit like Big Bang Theory (I idly watched an episode during lunch the other day, my god) but I wouldnt really slot it into a good column ever either, its just... there.

I do have to raise an eyebrow when people say its the best comedy ever though. I feel like I need to guide them into pastures funnier with Arrested Development, The Thick of It, or Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

While AD and Sunny are great shows they have simply borrowed the exact same foruma of Seinfeld, a bunch of disillusioned over inflated ego types that end up getting what's coming to them based on how shitty of people they are. People who don't like these shows always say the same thing, I don't like the people, they are really shitty people. Well that's the whole point, you get to see them taken down several pegs in most episodes. Go into them with this mindset, not that it will be gut busting hilarity. How do people still not understand this.

bud

haha, i love this conversation:

SHARON: Jerry, it's Sharon from NYU. I'm just calling to tell you that I'm not going to play up that angle we talked about and I'm sorry.

JERRY: Thank you very much, that's great- >click< Oh! Hold on a sec, I got a call on the other line. >click click< Hello?

GEORGE: Hey.

JERRY: Hey, how ya doin'? Y'know I got that reporter from the newspaper on the other line.

GEORGE: So, what did she say?

JERRY: She says she's not going to play up that angle of the story. She thinks we're heterosexual. [sarcastically] I guess we *fooled* her. I'll get rid of her, hold on... >click click< Sharon? Hello? Sharon, are you there? >click click< I'm back...

GEORGE: Y'know... I could hear you on the other line...

JERRY: What are you talkin' about?

GEORGE: I heard what you said: "Sharon, are you there?".

JERRY: You heard me talkin' on the other line, are you sure?

GEORGE: Yes, I heard you!

JERRY: Well, maybe she was disconnected.

GEORGE: Maybe she wasn't! Maybe she heard the whole conversation!

JERRY: Alright, hang on. Let me call Kramer and see if you can hear anything, hold on. >click click click<...

KRAMER: Yello?

JERRY: Kramer, there may be a problem with the phone, hold on. >click click<

GEORGE: "There may be a problem with the phone, hold on"!

JERRY: Oh no! >click click< Kramer, this phone's a piece of junk, goodbye!

GEORGE: "The phone's a piece of junk, goodbye"!

JERRY: Oh no! Now she's heard everything! What are we gonna do?!?

GEORGE: Now she thinks we're gay, not that there's anything wrong with it...

JERRY: No, no, of course not! People's personal sexual preferences are nobody's business but their own!​

george's voice when he says "there may be a problem with the phone, hold on!" makes me lose it every time.

Matt_09

I FUCKING AGREE

with the Blade Runner part too.

I fell asleep during that movie jeez. I swear it must be nostalgia for the special effects for the time or something.

I fucking disagree. Blade Runner is an exceptional film and as for Seinfeld, it avoids the cliches of shows like Friends and the raft of utter shit we have on Tv now (e.g. How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory etc)

Do you also hate The Wire? If so you may well be Bizzaro-Matt_09

Santiako

This is the wrongest op of all time. Seinfeld is the 2nd best sitcom ever, only Curb tops it, and it's basically the same show but with a better lead character.

So this is how you get tagged.

As for me, Seinfeld never resonated with me. I wouldn't say is the unfunniest show, but i didn't watch it.

Eidan

Seinfeld is pretty much the greatest comedy ever made. It's been well over a decade since it ended. I've seen every episode from season 3 onward and they NEVER stop being funny.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I really need to re watch this show. lol.

ELAINE'S VOICE: Oh, this is great. This is what I need, just what I need. Ok, take it easy I'm sure it's nothing. Probably rats on the track, we're stopping for rats. God, it's so crowded. How can there be so many people? This guy really smells, doesn't anyone use deodorant in the city? What is so hard, you take the cap off, you roll it on. What's that? I feel something rubbing against me. Disgusting animals, these people should be in a cage. We are in a cage. What if I miss the wedding? I got the ring. What'll they do? You can't get married without the ring. Oh, I can't breath, I feel faint. Take it easy, it'll start moving soon. Think about the people on the concentration camps, what they went through. And hostages, what would you do if you were a hostage? Think about that. This is nothing. No, it's not nothing, it's something. It's a nightmare! Help me! Move it! Com'on move this fu(beep) thing!! Why isn't it moving?!? What can go wrong with a train!?! It's on tracks, there's no traffic! How can a train get stuck. Step on thegas!! What could it be? You'de thinkthe conductor would explain it to us? 'I'm sorry there's a delay we'll be moving in 5 minutes'!! I wanna hear a voice. What's that on my leg?!!

I work with a Seinfeld hater. He bagged it and called Elaine "LORRAINE".

BigDug13

It's a funny show. I'm not sure that I would call it "the greatest or funniest sitcom of all time", but I'd have to question the sense of humor of someone who can literally sit through episode after episode and barely chuckle.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I was thought Seinfeld not being funny was the joke

I watched it for Jason Alexander that guy is awesome

Kjellson

GEORGE (voice is hoarse from screaming): I...was trying to lead the way. We needed a leader! Someone to lead the way to safety.

ROBIN: But you yelled "get out of my way"!

GEORGE: Because! Because, as the leader...if I die...then all hope is lost! Who would lead? The clown? Instead of castigating me, you should all be thanking me. What kind of a topsy-turvy world do we live in, where heroes are cast as villains? Brave men as cowards?

ROBIN: But I saw you push the women and children out of the way in a mad panic! I saw you knock them down! And when you ran out, you left everyone behind!

GEORGE: Seemingly. Seemingly, to the untrained eye, I can fully understand how you got that impression. What looked like pushing...what looked like knocking down...was a safety precaution! In a fire, you stay close to the ground, am I right? And when I ran out that door, I was not leaving anyone behind! Oh, quite the contrary! I risked my life making sure that exit was clear. Any other questions?

FIREMAN: How do you live with yourself?

GEORGE: Its not easy.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone who says Seinfeld is not funny is simply wrong and their opinion should immediately be dismissed.

I love Seinfeld, also like Friends, but it's a different kind of show where the point is to give more than laughs. For the single-minded purpose of being funny, nothing tops Seinfeld, maybe except Curb and Arrested Development, but their documentary style filming puts them in a different category for me.

I also like Family Guy, but it's definitely not even close to the same caliber of these shows.

IceCold

GEORGE (voice is hoarse from screaming): I...was trying to lead the way. We needed a leader! Someone to lead the way to safety.

GEORGE: Because! Because, as the leader...if I die...then all hope is lost! Who would lead? The clown? Instead of castigating me, you should all be thanking me. What kind of a topsy-turvy world do we live in, where heroes are cast as villains? Brave men as cowards?

ROBIN: But I saw you push the women and children out of the way in a mad panic! I saw you knock them down! And when you ran out, you left everyone behind!

GEORGE: Seemingly. Seemingly, to the untrained eye, I can fully understand how you got that impression. What looked like pushing...what looked like knocking down...was a safety precaution! In a fire, you stay close to the ground, am I right? And when I ran out that door, I was not leaving anyone behind! Oh, quite the contrary! I risked my life making sure that exit was clear. Any other questions?

In video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuP9YClyPRY

One of my favorite scenes.

Appleman

Definitely one of the best episodes, Kramer's monologue about the toe? So good.

PEOPLE KEPT RRRRRRRINGING THE BELL!

Where Seinfeld stands out is having its own, distinct, style. The character buildup is what defines the show. It allows them to take virtually any situation and make it funny. What other show would have made double-dipping a chip as funny? What about a man staring at the back of a plane seat (putty)?

Most other sitcoms feel like they just stick in any joke they can to get a laugh. And for shame to those who choose Friends over Seinfeld.

V_Arnold

It is always interesting when individuals think that an entire generation is "wrong" or "lame" instead of just acknowledging when they missed a certain timeframe/mindset to enjoy something accordingly.

OP, you are simply wrong. If you would have written "I cant enjoy this show, guys. I am glad you can, but to me, it is nowhere near the best thing ever - quite the opposite", I am assuming that you would have walked away without a tag and this thread would not be 6 page long already. But I am pretty sure you are happy with this outcome as well ;)

Gloam

Watching Seinfeld RIGHT NOW, laughing my ass off. I feel the OP should reconsider the superlative in the thread title!

haha, i love this conversation:

SHARON: Jerry, it's Sharon from NYU. I'm just calling to tell you that I'm not going to play up that angle we talked about and I'm sorry.

JERRY: Thank you very much, that's great- >click< Oh! Hold on a sec, I got a call on the other line. >click click< Hello?

GEORGE: Hey.

JERRY: Hey, how ya doin'? Y'know I got that reporter from the newspaper on the other line.

GEORGE: So, what did she say?

JERRY: She says she's not going to play up that angle of the story. She thinks we're heterosexual. [sarcastically] I guess we *fooled* her. I'll get rid of her, hold on... >click click< Sharon? Hello? Sharon, are you there? >click click< I'm back...

GEORGE: Y'know... I could hear you on the other line...

JERRY: What are you talkin' about?

GEORGE: I heard what you said: "Sharon, are you there?".

JERRY: You heard me talkin' on the other line, are you sure?

GEORGE: Yes, I heard you!

JERRY: Well, maybe she was disconnected.

GEORGE: Maybe she wasn't! Maybe she heard the whole conversation!

JERRY: Alright, hang on. Let me call Kramer and see if you can hear anything, hold on. >click click click<...

KRAMER: Yello?

JERRY: Kramer, there may be a problem with the phone, hold on. >click click<

GEORGE: "There may be a problem with the phone, hold on"!

JERRY: Oh no! >click click< Kramer, this phone's a piece of junk, goodbye!

GEORGE: "The phone's a piece of junk, goodbye"!

JERRY: Oh no! Now she's heard everything! What are we gonna do?!?

GEORGE: Now she thinks we're gay, not that there's anything wrong with it...

JERRY: No, no, of course not! People's personal sexual preferences are nobody's business but their own!​

george's voice when he says "there may be a problem with the phone, hold on!" makes me lose it every time.

heh, that episode was just on dutch tv. seen it so many times but still as funny as ever. the punchline at the end with kramer coming in with a guy is great too, too bad he said he's there to fix the phone, wouldve been funnier if kramer actually wanted to be gay because he though jerry and george were too

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferences, but I can't help but feel that something is wrong with you if you don't like Seinfeld.

Frost_Ace

After this thread I really want to give Seinfeld a try, too bad the italian dub sucks (unlike friends which still rocks), maybe I should buy the DVDs and watch them in english.

Mook1e

I believe almost the exact opposite. I love Seinfeld and believe it's the best Sitcom of All Time for many reasons, but one over all else.
There is not ONE serious episode of Seinfeld.
THAT's a Sitcom.
I don't want to flip the channel to a Sitcom and see a b.s. dramatic situation, or "Very Special Episode of Punky Brewester" or whatever.
There wasn't a Sitcom made that didn't have the b.s. drama sprinkled in.
Don't even get me started on efing Friends.
FFS, either date, get married, or shut the fk up.

Dyno

And what's the deal with Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routines interspersed in the episodes? Was he actually a stand up comic back then or is it just for the show?

So you've watched a show for sixteen episodes and have yet to clue in to that Jerry is a comedian? Yes he's a comedian in real life but that's also his occupation in the show. It's stated.

Maybe the show is shooting a little high for you to appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom