• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate confirms Gorsuch to replace Scalia on Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans are too complacent with political fuckery. If this had been some other countries there'd be clashes. A right-wing Supreme Court will commit and condone socioeconomic violence by way of pen for another generation.

Why didn't Obama push harder against this shit ? Why didn't he cause a riot ?

I feel like he just accepted it and played nice. I love the guy but why was he so nice towards congress and the hateful republicans who tried everything to ruin his legacy ?
Because he like everyone else thought Hillary would win and put someone more liberal than Garlsnd in?

Republicans took that risk and it paid off for them.

Republicans were willing to block Hilary's nominations for 4 years, so don't buy into the shit they were waiting for the election

creatchee

A heist America should never forget or forgive.
pwgxxUH.gif

Americans are too complacent with political fuckery. If this had been some other countries there'd be clashes. A right-wing Supreme Court will commit and condone socioeconomic violence by way of pen for another generation.

The composition of the Supreme Court is not significantly changed from the replacement of Scalia by Gorsuch. It's still a pretty evenly divided Court, with Kennedy often serving as the swing vote.

If one of the elderly liberals on the bench dies, such as Ginsburg, then we've got to buckle up, cause we'll be in for a bumpy ride...

Paltheos

Ya know what I don't understand - Now that the filibuster rule's been broken, why not just 'fuck everything'? Literally stack the court with conservatives. Add more justices. There's no hard rule requiring or limiting the numbers of justices, and the party clearly doesn't care about following tradition. Maybe even the current Republican party can't garner the support for that though.

hollomat

Banned
For anyone wishing Obama had acted differently, what do they wish he would've done? The senate was majority republican controlled so there was no way they were going to support Garland regardless of what Obama did.

This country is no longer a democracy in my eyes.

The entire system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Land no longer should be worth more than individual votes, especially as coastal states become denser and denser.

Also to all the liberal/democrats, what have you, that voted their conscience/didn't vote instead of falling in line, you are as much at fault for this as the pricks that voted for trump.

Ya know what I don't understand - Now that the filibuster rule's been broken, why not just 'fuck everything'? Literally stack the court with conservatives. Add more justices. There's no hard rule requiring or limiting the numbers of justices, and the party clearly doesn't care about following tradition. Maybe even the current Republican party can't garner the support for that though.

Because the democrats will stack the court right back when they gain power.

I still can't believe this. I think social progress will be halted because of this.

Not anymore than it was under Obama.

Disgusting. Way to go people who stayed home this election. It's not just a thing about Hillary Clinton, it's about the fact that people didn't even show up enough to vote for the Democratic Senator candidates in WI, PA, NC, and in MO, where Dems had at least a fair chance of winning those seats. Had they all won, the Dems would have had control of the Senate. But no, your "standards" were far too important. -_-

You had better show up to vote next year....if not, then don't complain about "progressive values" being blocked.

iavi

TBH, what was done was bullshit, but we're basically back to status quo. He was replacing Scalia.

e; echoing what was said above

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
For anyone wishing Obama had acted differently, what do they wish he would've done? The senate was majority republican controlled so there was no way they were going to support Garland regardless of what Obama did.

Just appoint him to the court and see what happens.

Should have done it right before the election.

Dierce

The next democratic president should do what Roosevelt almost did. Would have added up to 6 more supreme court justices. Fuck every single republican.

Republicans were willing to block Hilary's nominations for 4 years, so don't buy into the shit they were waiting for the election

Bingo. Anyone who thinks we get it if Hillary wins are fooling themselves. Now if we got her and the Senate it'd be a different story. Then again I don't think Schumer would of nuked the fillibuster.

Such a shit show.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible gamble.

Yup. He was too good of a man. He thought most people were decent and honest and ethical like him and michelle. He didn't realize that most people are scum.

It's none of these things. Obama had absolutely zero control over the situation. The president doesn't have any authority of any kind whatsoever to force the Senate to do much of anything when it comes to confirmations, especially a lame duck president whose party is the minority.

What, precisely, would you have wanted Obama to do?

You would think that people here would know how the government works seeing how much they complain about it but nope.

Maxim726X

Hang in there, RBG

I've read her workout routine.

She'll outlive us all.

Bingo. Anyone who thinks we get it if Hillary wins are fooling themselves. Now if we got her and the Senate it'd be a different story. Then again I don't think Schumer would of nuked the fillibuster.

Such a shit show.

Yeah, game was going to change no matter what. Gotta fight fire with fire.

I used to be against the idea, but after thinking about it... I hope the senate filibuster goes by the wayside too. Fuck it- It's time for the American people to see how shitty the Republican agenda really is... Let them have what they voted for.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Disgusting. Way to go people who stayed home this election. It's not just a thing about Hillary Clinton, it's about the fact that people didn't even show up enough to vote for the Democratic Senator candidates in WI, PA, NC, and in MO, where Dems had at least a fair chance of winning those seats. Had they all won, the Dems would have had control of the Senate. But no, your "standards" were far too important. -_-

A lot of people are really stupid and don't even know how important voting for members of congress is. It's embarrassing. Granted I'm not privy to all the ins and outs of government, but at the very least I know of the importance of voting down ballot. You'll always have ignorant people who don't know that there are two other branches of government.

MartyStu

The composition of the Supreme Court is not significantly changed from the replacement of Scalia by Gorsuch. It's still a pretty evenly divided Court, with Kennedy often serving as the swing vote.

If one of the elderly liberals on the bench dies, such as Ginsburg, then we've got to buckle up, cause we'll be in for a bumpy ride...

That is the fear though. Ginsburg is neither immortal nor filled with infinite patience, she is GOING to die/retire in the next decade. The best we can do is pray to god she holds out until the Democrats magically manage to regain the senate.

Exile20

Why didn't Obama push harder against this shit ? Why didn't he cause a riot ?

I feel like he just accepted it and played nice. I love the guy but why was he so nice towards congress and the hateful republicans who tried everything to ruin his legacy ?

The problem is that Dems try to play nice in a system where playing nice gets you nothing.

I understand Dems want a perfect system whereboth sides have a voice and there is mutual respect but repubs gives no fuck about what the people or dems want.

They are all hypocrites.

82 presidential nominees have been blocked under President Barack Obama, 86 blocked under all other presidents. The GOP criticized the DEMS for even thinking of the nuclear option. They demonized Obama about it, saying if he uses the nuclear option, it will destroy the senate.

Now that the GOP are in power the very first filibuster, they use the nuclear option. The GOP gives zero fucks about anything but their donors.

Neil is extremely pro corporations so they need him in at all cost. The healthcare bill gives millions of dollars to the top 10%. All corporate shills.

Paltheos

Because the democrats will stack the court right back when they gain power.

Not anymore than it was under Obama.

Well, duh. But what's that matter? I'm probably just speaking from anger and not a place of a reason, but with all the BS divergences from tradition around this matter for the sake of partisanship, I see no reason not to push brinkmanship even further. The hornet's nest on the other side is already super-stirred. You think the Republicans have a plan for what/if the Dems take back power in the future? Or maybe the Democratic party will just roll over and take it.

Ithil

Conservatives keep saying that there was multiple other times in history where the senate blocked a supreme court nominee in an election year which is why them blocking garland was okay, is that true?
Ask those conservatives to name all those times.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
so let me get this straight. everyone is calling for dems to block, block, block but when reps do the same thing they are pieces of shit?

hollomat

Banned
Just appoint him to the court and see what happens.

Should have done it right before the election.

I think taking this approach may turned the Supreme Court into a big bigger issue in the election (obviously it should've been a huge issue, but it clearly wasn't) and convinced republicans who weren't fans of trump to vote for him to get a republican Supreme Court nominee.

Obviously its difficult to look back knowing what we know now, but I maintain that based on the information he had at the time, Obama made the right choice. Trying to push Garland through wouldn't have worked and would have hurt democrats more than it would've helped.

Ryuukan

... Is this a joke?

Talking about the fact that she may either step down (or worse) because she's 84 is ageism??

Good lord. Lighten up. Francis.

oh it was just a joke him using the words "hate her"

boy is there egg on my face 😅😅😅

This thread is like the definition of blind impotent rage.

OBAMA SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING! DEMOCRATS! SOMEBODY!

There are rules to how government works, there's nothing that can be done if you lost elections and don't have power in the right places, sorry folks.

Beartruck

so let me get this straight. everyone is calling for dems to block, block, block but when reps do the same thing they are pieces of shit?
Context matters. Republicans blocked an appointment that belonged to Obama. Democrats blocking is a response to that nomination being stolen. How do you not get this?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Context matters. Republicans blocked an appointment that belonged to Obama. Democrats blocking is a response to that nomination being stolen. How do you not get this?

The Dems haven't stalled any of his appointed officers?

RDreamer

I guess you're missing the fact that people are telling the Dems to block block block because it worked for the Republicans first. They're pieces of shit for blocking literally everything Obama tried and then the shit cherry on top of the ass pie was not giving Garland a hearing. Then the American public rewarded them. Dems should block everything they can because clearly it works.

And Republicans are pieces of shit for things in addition to blocking. Like not having the spine to go against a sexual assaulting asshole who everyone knew would throw us into a clusterfuck like his first months have been. They're pieces of shit for craving power over caring about possible collusion with a hostile foreign power. They're pieces of shirt for stoking and using racism to keep that power. Fuck them all forever.

Eidan

The Dems haven't stalled any of his appointed officers?

The context you're not acknowledging is the six years of Republican obstructionism we saw with the Republican House and then Senate, and the unprecedented move of stalling Obama's Supreme Court nomination.

Geist-

More out of curiosity than any actual expectation that this would happen, if Trump was convicted of treasonimpeached, could his appointments be invalidated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom