• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus announced for PS4/Vita

Been wanting to check out this series for ages, particularly the Versus side as I'm a big fan of the Basara games. PS4 release finally gives me an excuse.

Can't view the trailer at work, but I'm hoping the characters from the previous Versus are in this one. If there's no Murasaki I'll be sad.

So many cross-platform titles. How does Sony expect any of this to actually move PS4 hardware?

This is pretty much how the Vita started to turn around in Japan. Some of its biggest titles (like Toukiden and God Eater 2) were also released on the PSP. It just turned out that people gravitated toward the Vita versions over the PSP versions. They're probably hoping that the same will happen here.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So many cross-platform titles. How does Sony expect any of this to actually move PS4 hardware?

Big developing efforts and costs for a good PS4 game + PS4 not selling in Japan = many Japanese developers don't want to risk PS4 exclusive games.

18-Volt

Wow, XSEED is going to be sooo busy next year. Today's conference had 4 games for them: This, Ys, Luminous Arc (by Marvelous) and Way of the Samurai (by Acquire). Plus all the past stuff waiting to be localized: Corpse Party Blood Drive, Senran Kagura 2, Sen No Kiseki...

Small clip of gameplay has me excited. Looks like a 'proper' Musou game now, certainly in terms of on-screen enemies. Will look fantastic on PS4.

prwxv3

I think Sony is happy the PS4 is getting games at all, given how dearth the releases have been for the console this year.

I think PS4 owners should be happy japanese games are getting made for the system multiplatform or not.

prwxv3

This is pretty much how the Vita started to turn around in Japan. Some of its biggest titles (like Toukiden and God Eater 2) were also released on the PSP. It just turned out that people gravitated toward the Vita versions over the PSP versions. They're probably hoping that the same will happen here.

I dont think this will happen this time though.

Superflat

I'm one of the few that watched the recent anime as my first exposure to the Senran Kagura universe, and I liked it. Likable characters, good action, tongue in cheek and embraces fanservice instead of being annoying coquettish about it. I actually like the conceit of two opposing ninja factions and clashing of ideologies, though I don't know if that's a central theme in the games.

So liking the show actually made me interested in this announcement. Guess I'll try out some Senran Kagura games.

I dont think this will happen this time though.

You may be right, but it can't hurt to try. Sony is almost certainly going to make sure that those games are marketed largely as PS4 games. Similarly to what they've done with Destiny. It's multiplatform and a PS3 game as well, but the marketed it focused almost entirely on the PS4.

prwxv3

You may be right, but it can't hurt to try. Sony is almost certainly going to make sure that those games are marketed largely as PS4 games. Similarly to what they've done with Destiny. It's multiplatform and a PS3 game as well, but the marketed it focused almost entirely on the PS4.

Sony better be advertising Dragon Quest Heroes as a PS4 game as much as possible.

I actually like the conceit of two opposing ninja factions and clashing of ideologies, though I don't know if that's a central theme in the games.

It's a central theme in the games : good vs evil in SK/Burst, good vs good (or at least two conceptions of good, an extremist one and a more tolerant one) in Shinovi, or portraying the 'good' heroines as evil (for following orders without questioning them) in SK2.

A central theme yet, apart in the first game (Hanzo story in Burst) which was rather succesful in this, its implementation in the following games has been much more random. For its own good the franchise should have followed in the footsteps of older nekketsu anime/manga like Saint Seiya - the clash of wills, ideal vs ideal, duty vs friendship - but obviously the producers choose to water down this angle and focus instead on fanservice and a third, "amoral" force - the youmas.

Wow, XSEED is going to be sooo busy next year. Today's conference had 4 games for them: This, Ys, Luminous Arc (by Marvelous) and Way of the Samurai (by Acquire). Plus all the past stuff waiting to be localized: Corpse Party Blood Drive, Senran Kagura 2, Sen No Kiseki...

Hahaha No. Funny joke though!

Big developing efforts and costs for a good PS4 game + PS4 not selling in Japan = many Japanese developers don't want to risk PS4 exclusive games.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to go PS4 exclusive if your game isn't doing anything that weaker hardware can't handle, unless Sony's giving you big fat sacks full of money. But multiplat games are better than no games at all.

This is pretty much exactly what they should be doing to help the PS4 in Japan, though- encourage Japanese developers to make PS4 versions of the PS3 and Vita games they're already developing until the PS4 install base is big enough to justify going exclusive. I'd be shocked if they didn't try to get Bamco to do the same thing with the next Tales game, as well as Gust with next year's Atelier.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oh yea, if this gets localized I'm in for sure as long as I have fun with Shinovi Versus when it comes out. Not trashing the game.
Oh, I wasn't insinuating that; just maybe your friends would like this too. :)

mintylurb

id3RHqpFV8e8X.jpg

Welp, my ps4 purchase finally redeemed.

The Vita benefited from being a handheld. I don't expect cross-platform games to do jack shit to boost PS4 sales in Japan.

koutoru

Famitsu reveled some new info:

New Characters:
  • Sayuri the mysterious grandmother
  • three mysterious sisters: Renka (the eldest), Hanabi (the second daughter), and Kafuru (the third daughter)

additional notes:
  • The new team’s characters also appeared in other games. A different form of Senran Kagura 2‘s Pair Battles has also been added.
  • In Network Battles, which are based on Shinovi Versus, there are plans to add more rules and increase the number of participating players.
  • Costumes will have new expressions, such as becoming transparent or dirty.
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/senran-k...ces-four-new-characters-including-grandmother

crinale

Up to 4-player online multiplayer for Vita as usual. Not so sure about PS4 version (though I don't see any reason not putting it).

I'll get this if it gets a localized physical Vita release... who am I kidding I'd still probably get the PS4 ver. if it didn't but until then the Vita ver. takes priority if they don't cut content from it in favor of the PS4.

It would be cool to introduce them slowly to people who aren't into games like New Wave...I honestly have no idea why they haven't done this yet

I wonder if their reluctance to introduce new characters since SK2 could be due to costs associated with bringing more VA to the franchise...

Razia

Does Senran Kagura 2 have a better framerate?

I'm enjoying what little I played of the first game so far, but man this framerate is shit.

Famitsu reveled some new info:

New Characters:
  • Sayuri the mysterious grandmother
  • three mysterious sisters: Renka (the eldest), Hanabi (the second daughter), and Kafuru (the third daughter)

additional notes:

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/senran-k...ces-four-new-characters-including-grandmother
Watch them not be playable like 2

Does Senran Kagura 2 have a better framerate?

I'm enjoying what little I played of the first game so far, but man this framerate is shit.
Importers on GAF said it was a lot better even with 3D(locked 30fps iirc)

Top Bottom