• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes October 13th

Its always been strange to me that Sony has not started to release standard 1TB PS4s in the US yet, Europe has had them for months already. I know its easy to upgrade the harddrive, but at least their special edition PS4 should have 1TB.

They are saving it for a price drop imo. Which will be soon.

So, uh, can we actually talk about September sales in this thread? Or have I ventured into the wrong thread? :p

lol true, people have been talking about Oct/Nov/Dec all year in sales threads. Maybe MS was right just preseason :).

Javin98

Banned
There isn't much to discuss, no? PS4 wins, MGS will (more than likely) be number one, etc...
It's still nice to discuss the gap between the two. Personally, I can see the gap being more than 100K, but I have been wrong about that before, specifically in June. But Microsoft had a good deal going on to reduce what would have been a significantly bigger gap. However, for September, they didn't react much at all. And going by Amazon, the Forza 6 bundle didn't seem to do too well.

It's still nice to discuss the gap between the two. Personally, I can see the gap being more than 100K, but I have been wrong about that before, specifically in June. But Microsoft had a good deal going on to reduce what would have been a significantly bigger gap. However, for September, they didn't react much at all. And going by Amazon, the Forza 6 bundle didn't seem to do too well.
I figure(d) it will be 100K+ as well but a few here have told me my PS4 and X1 predictions are too high. It has me thinking they will not only be lower but closer as well. I still think the gap will be notably larger compared to the gaps seen this year.

XBOX WON

$499 - Kinect bundle
$499 - LE Halo 5 bundle
$449 - LE Forza 5 bundle
$399 - Tomb Raider bundle
$399 - Gears of War, Rare Replay and Ori bundle
$399 - Fallout 4 bundle
$349 - Gears of War bundle
$349 - Lego Movie bundle

Bundle fight!

1TB Console - Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Limited Edition Bundle $449
500GB Console - Destiny: The Taken King Limited Edition Bundle $399
500GB Console - Limited Edition Star Wars Battlefront Bundle $449
500GB Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Bundle $399
500GB Standard Edition Star Wars Battlefront PS4 Bundle: $399.99
500GB Limited Edition Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars PS4 Bundle $449

comon guys. do your homework right
you missed the $499 Xbox Elite bundle and the $399 The Last of Us Remaster Ps4 bundle
and the Forza LE bundle is $399 not §449

Welfare

There was no bait anywhere in my post.

Star Wars, Destiny and CoD are far bigger properties. The overall quality of Sony's bundles are higher due in part to this.

How was that Bait?

Just using "quality > quantity" is asking for it as quality is subjective. Even with the Xbox One having so many bundles, that does not mean the quality of them drops.

Quality wasn't the right word to use. Saying the IP in the bundles were bigger would've been fine.

Just using "quality > quantity" is asking for it as quality is subjective. Even with the Xbox One having so many bundles, that does not mean the quality of them drops.

Quality wasn't the right word to use. Saying the IP in the bundles were bigger would've been fine.
Sure, I never said the X1 bundles didn't have quality but the quantity is greater than the overall quality to me. On top of that, I think the strength of the brands in the PS4 bundles gives Sony a considerable edge overall.

No, the words I chose to use were fine. You had a problem and decided to call it "bait" instead of asking me to elaborate. I hope what I meant is clear now.

Welfare

Sure, I never said the X1 bundles didn't have quality but the quantity is greater than the overall quality to me. On top of that, I think the strength of the brands in the PS4 bundles gives Sony a considerable edge overall.

No, the words I chose to use were fine. You had a problem and decided to call it "bait" instead of asking me to elaborate. I hope what I meant is clear now.

I read it as bait, sorry. What you said is clear now.

I read it as bait, sorry. What you said is clear now.
No problem. I apologize too. Looking over my post, I sound...moody. I blame it on the cold I have been dealing with for over a week.

Let's keep the peace!

That Destiny deal Sony did was so worth it for the hardware its pushed
Indeed. It seems like it will be a huge benefit over the course of the generation. I wasn't expecting TTK to do too much but apparently it did great digitally.

I'm not sure how well it will translate into September NPD.

allan-bh

I can't believe that Microsoft made a deal for Rise of Tomb Raider and will launch Fallout 4 bundle in all retailers, when Tomb Raider bundle is Best Buy (and MS Store) only.

Is like they bought Tomb Raider for send to die.

That Destiny deal Sony did was so worth it for the hardware its pushed
Who would have thought that the guys who created Halo would turn out to be such a gain for sony.
Still don't get it how Microsofts wasn't at least able to secure a marketing deal here. Guess there was no space for destiny and titanfall together and the chose the wrong horse.

I can't believe that Microsoft made a deal for Rise of Tomb Raider and will launch Fallout 4 bundle in all retailers, when Tomb Raider bundle is Best Buy (and MS Store) only.

Tomb raider is their gift for europe. In the US Fallout is the bigger deal.

allan-bh

Who would have thought that the guys who created Halo would turn out to be such a gain for sony.
Still don't get it how Microsofts wasn't at least able to secure a marketing deal here. Guess there was no space for destiny and titanfall together and the chose the wrong horse.

Maybe Activision believed that was better make a deal with Sony (Because Xbox fans would be much more inclined to buy anyway because of Bungie).

Alo0oy

Banned

Makes sense, Tomb Raider was never big in the US, but was always huge in Europe, if they don't release an attractive bundle in Europe then I'd consider it a "sent to die" situation. Then again, people bought it on PS3 in Europe, so we don't know if people in EU are willing to buy an entire console for it.

Quick and dirty since I'm on the floor:

Ps4 clear victor for us. Distinct gap in sales, the Destiny bundle did better than I was expecting, though that being said, it was not last year's bundle in terms of scale.

Xb1 recovered from the drop off after the tv deal, but people still all about that kind of thing. Way more "hagglers" sigh.

Taken king sold okay, but almost all the people I heard talking about it were doing the direct upgrade or I think buying the voucher card? Hard to tell exactly.

More later with specific questions if I can.

How'd The Phantom Pain do?

Bolivar687

Banned

I thought some documents came to light in the Infinity Ward suits that MS had a right of first refusal for exclusivity on Bungie's projects. I honestly don't know why they passed but I recall it may have been tied to Halo Reach performance and maybe they just didn't believe in the studio as much at that point.

Top Bottom