• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams reveals baby bump on stunning Vanity Fair cover

*snip*
What am I neurotic? Thats dumb shit to waste time over and I'm off to go get my quantiferon results
*snip*
Your entire post was dumb shit to waste time reading. You reiterated how much you don't care like five times. It's time to stop posting. Hope you don't have TB, I guess, although you could have just called it a TB test like a normal person.

Preacher

Your entire post was dumb shit to waste time reading. You reiterated how much you don't care like five times. It's time to stop posting. Hope you don't have TB, I guess, although you could have just called it a TB test like a normal person.

This is exactly what I mean by being a pseudointellectual. Stop looking for reasons to berate people lmao

Lmao I call it quantiferon because my doctor called it that.

That was also my 3rd post in this thread. If you don't like it ignore it you big baby

If you were smart you'd have realized I only ever posted in this thread because you manchildren can't stop berating people over dumb shit.

Exactly. I think people are under the impression that it makes them mature or something.
Lol like the majority of any bodily process is gross and pregnancy is one of then.

A lot of necessary shit in life is what normally by definition gross

If this was someone else who wasn't pregnant and had a distended belly they'd be posting on a forum on how to cure it.

And I don't even care seeing as I just read an entire chapter on embryoGenesis but you have to be either an annoying fuck or a pseudo intellectual to complain about comments like that.

This kind of stance reeks more of pseudo-intellectualism, to be completely honest. This is not 4ch or reddit where i'm sure posts saying "gross" at a pregnant black woman would be celebrated. This board is over that shitty attitude, most of the time anyway.

It's okay to dislike it, but even then posting about it seems childish as fuck.

Violet_0

Banned
This is exactly what I mean by being a pseudointellectual. Stop looking for reasons to berate people lmao

That was also my 3rd post in this thread. If you don't like it ignore it you big baby

If you were smart you'd have realized I only ever posted in this thread because you manchildren can't stop berating people over dumb shit.

image.php

this is getting somewhat embarrassing

Media

I mean, you could ignore stuff too, but you've posted about how superior you are because you don't care several times. You are berating people over "dumb shit"

People expressing opinions on a message board, that's sorta what a message board is for.

We can have a conversation about stuff that is offensive to us. BTW, a bunch of us are actually women.

You keep using that word pseudointellectual like you know what it means, and have been on a tear about people that would dare to be upset about pregnant women being seen as gross and ugly. If you were smart you'd have realized that it's past time to stop posting, but typically when you stoop to calling people manchildren and big babies it's because you haven't realized that part yet. Keep on truckin', keyboard warrior.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maybe complaining about text speech and syntax is one of the ways you sound pseudointellectual. Lol typing like a 6th grader on AOL
You really are a scholar man. Do you know how fucking stupid you sound. Where is the disconnect when you bitch about peoples typing abilities when you can't properly discern how much effort someone is putting into a post. Earlier I was typing on my phone. Again, you sound like a pompous pseudointellectual
Next you're going to insult someone's spelling ability/syntax/etc only to learn that english is their second language. But good luck with that zinger!

Bro, the picture isn't normal which is why they took it. You actually are an idiot if you think a picture of a very famous athlete is normal. The whole point is to generate buzz lmao, what the fuck are you on about. Obviously I'm assuming you understand it's also meant to celebrate femininity. There are other things I can probably say but nah, I gotta get some quantiferon results soon.
Maybe you're confused because being pregnant is a normal process or something.

"Context matters"
None of what you said has changed the subjective nature that this entire conversation is about. Comparing it to bodily fluids isn't distasteful? What are you 12? Everyone ejaculates? Everyone menstruates? Everyone goes through menopause? Everyone bleeds? Everyone etc etc

Yes, Serena Williams is a beautiful woman, stop repeating it. I genuinely cannot stress how little I care about you repeating something I personally already believe.

You cannot defend it by saying that in this context it's special. It doesn't work that way. It's the same exact fallacy as before and nothing has changed. Do you think people suddenly think it's less gross because it's a powerful athlete on a magazine cover? Things like that only work on children you're trying to indoctrinate, people with confirmation bias, or people who think like children.

If you find the gross comments offensive that's fine. You're allowed to be offended, you're even allowed to express it. However it is a futile effort and generally a waste of time and honestly just being a stickler.

People find things gross based on simple preference alone. There isn't even a right and wrong in an argument like this lmao

Again, the ejaculation and menstruation and etc contributing to body shaming pregnant women lol wtf. I'm a biology major I don't fucking care. I don't get grossed out by any of this shit. You have the amniotic sac popping, a baby gets shat out, and then after birth. Stop romanticizing this shit lol. Of course the events are of different magnitudes but if someone finds any of them gross who is anyone to shit on him for it.

There are guys with pregnancy fetishes, you think anyone who isn't an annoying fuck is going to berate them for that? Genuinely it's not that big a deal
And to repeat the whole thing about being offended
I personally wouldn't care if I thought it was gross
I don't think it's gross so now I really don't care
The only way I'll ever care is if someone is fervently being a dick in a personal conversation with a pregnant women. Not some "Kinda gross tbh" post on an internet forum about videogames and pop culture. What am I neurotic? Thats dumb shit to waste time over and I'm off to go get my quantiferon results

Like you're thinking too deeply about something that can be understood in the simplest terms. Lmao you talk about ejaculate like it's some kind of devil or some shit. I can make a shitload of random dumb as shit scenarios for people liking things and give a reason for each. I'm not playing the game of describing "X" with flowery language to explain why "X" is good and not gross at all.

Oh.

Preacher

This kind of stance reeks more of pseudo-intellectualism, to be completely honest. This is not 4ch or reddit where i'm sure posts saying "gross" at a pregnant black woman would be celebrated. This board is over that shitty attitude, most of the time anyway.

It's okay to dislike it, but even then posting about it seems childish as fuck.

Why do you guys keep trying to make "Kinda gross tbh" about race lmao. I can understand the misogyny aspect because truth be told, pregnancy is a major aspect of femininity in most cultures but race? Maybe if his posting history alluded to that but I don't see it.

I don't care that he said gross lmao. I'm only posting because I don't like grand standing over inane shit. (To the guy I ignored who got upset about me saying I don't care. Cry about it.)

The only reason I clicked this thread is because I like Serena Williams lmao. You have to realize that as much as you may want to believe this forum is a circle jerk, its not. I don't mind people celebrating Serena Williams or calling a pregnancy picture gross.
If they're not being overtly racist/sexist or subtly racist/sexist then I have 0 issues.

No one is celebrating his comment either as far as I can tell.

Preacher

I mean, you could ignore stuff too, but you've posted about how superior you are because you don't care several times. You are berating people over "dumb shit"

People expressing opinions on a message board, that's sorta what a message board is for.

We can have a conversation about stuff that is offensive to us. BTW, a bunch of us are actually women.

I wasn't insinuating you were men because I said manchildren if you thought that lmao

Pillville

Summary 1:

if yall want to express your opinions without fear of engagement from other people, get a damn diary.

Have you considered the possibility that no one gives a shit about whether or not you or anyone else finds her attractive because it has literally nothing to do with you?

"Express Yourself!!............................Not like that!!!............"

Summary 2:

"I don't like they way she looks"
"why do you hate black people?"
"I don't"
"then why do you hate women?"
"I don't"
"then admit she looks really good"
"ok fine, she looks really good"
"perv"

Media

Summary 1:

"Express Yourself!!............................Not like that!!!............"

Summary 2:

"I don't"
"I don't"
"then admit she looks really good"
"ok fine, she looks really good"
"perv"

Have you even read the thread? That's not what's going on at all.

Honestly, everyone complaining about the women in this thread expressing their opinions about the comments and saying people should have a right to say what they want about a picture are coming off as "We have a right to say it's gross, but women don't have a right to say that offends them." which is some weird logic.

If you are a champion of free speech, how come we are getting called out for also expressing our opinions?

Let's not forget tone policing the women who are offended, but not the posters calling the picture "gross" and whatnot. Priorities!

I personally apologize if, through my posts, I have made it feel like I'm policing women in this thread... that is not my intention.

I know it would feel nice if everyone viewed a pregnant women's naked figure as a symbol of life giving power, but it will just never be that way. It seems like the majority of posters here really find the picture beautiful which is great. I'm not a woman, but when someone says "gross" I understand that a mother would feel personally attacked because that could be her in the photo. My main question is this, how should we address someone who doesn't view the image through the same lens as us?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's another summary, closer to the facts:

<a few people saying it's a beautiful photo, then:>
P1: "gross tbh"
P2: "I'm a woman who had babies, this is offensive"
P3: "also a woman, I agree"
P4: "gross? grow the fuck up"
P5: "lmao stop overreacting you pseudo-intellectuals lmao lmao (lmao)"
P6: "wahhh respect mah opinion!!"

Preacher

That's what's going on for anyone who does have the exact right opinion. I like the pictures, but hate the way this site attacks anyone for any difference of opinion.

This is exactly what I was trying to convey albeit less of a spastic rant lol.

I personally came to read up on Selena because I last heard about her taking a pic and removing it on Insta concerning her pregnancy. I then want to read peoples thoughts on the cover in question.

I usually lurk threads and prefer not to post unless I feel somewhat strongly about something. And what I felt strongly about was the content I was reading.

Dude said he thought it was gross and theirs like 4 or 5 pages reacting too it. Like chill, it's not that big a deal. On one hand I'd rather not post because I don't want to argue with the target group (Not gonna lie, I honestly forgot their were women in this thread lmao) and what they perceive to be offensive since I find that rude. But relax, holy shit

That's what's going on for anyone who does have the exact right opinion. I like the pictures, but hate the way this site attacks anyone for any difference of opinion.

Since you quoted me originally let me just say that I don't care if someone has a difference of opinion, just that I don't think all opinions need to be shared all the time. "Ew gross" can be your opinion, but if you share it you shouldn't be surprised that people are going to engage with it.

It's also okay to keep your opinion to yourself and people should do that more often!

Preacher

Dude I don't care how much smug jokes you make. You're still a pseudo intellectual and you're still showcasing it here.

I'm ready for your next zinger but I may not see it. People who act like you are exactly whats wrong with the internet.

You know people do that exact annoying shit with feminism and transgender rights? You think it's not annoying to see posts like that just because the main idea is of a more self righteous goal.

You look annoying and arrogant when all you can do is formulate parodic posts.

Preacher

Since you quoted me originally let me just say that I don't care if someone has a difference of opinion, just that I don't think all opinions need to be shared all the time. "Ew gross" can be your opinion, but if you share it you shouldn't be surprised that people are going to engage with it.

It's also okay to keep your opinion to yourself and people should do that more often!
And then there are people who disagree with you an feel he should be free to express his opinion.
Where exactly does it end

Was his opinion bigoted? Why exactly should we rake him across the coals for a 3 word opinion he didn't even elaborate on

Speevy

Banned
I think celebrity women have been doing this naked pregnancy magazine photo thing for a while now, so I don't see why Serena Williams merits different reactions.

Zoe

I think celebrity women have been doing this naked pregnancy magazine photo thing for a while now, so I don't see why Serena Williams merits different reactions.

I wouldn't say this is any worse than the reaction to Demi Moore's.

Keri

I love that this is where the line is drawn. Every thread on this forum has predominant opinions and criticism in it, but only when the subject is specific to women, do we suddenly see a concern about how we should be nicer to those who disagree with us. Women should simply accept that some men think women who are pregnant (something the majority of women experience in their lives) are gross.

Look, you are free to think pregnant women are gross. I am free to think you are immature and hope that you never have a chance to procreate, because no woman should have to make herself "gross" for your sake.

Shredderi

Holy shit this picture has some larger than life majesty to it. Beautiful picture. That is why it's especially sad how much this thread went to shit. Gross? Goddammit.

Pillville

Have you even read the thread? That's not what's going on at all.

It's pretty close

Kinda gross tbh

it's offensive to call a black pregnant woman gross.
black women period have a long history of being called gross just because of their darker skin. Don't be aloof.

"I don't"
Did he say it was gross because she's a black woman? No.

Is there any point at which men can not be fucking awful to a woman
you just don't like the picture. Enough to express your feelings about it in a pretty offensive way toward women

"I don't"
There is a huge difference between saying "pregnant women look gross" and "the experience of being pregnant is gross."

"perv"
Let us have our pretty pictures without thinking about your penises.
It's like they don't get the point that the pictures are literally not for them and their pleasure
Again, dudes, every picture of a woman doesn't exist just get your dick up.

And I exit here. Done as done can be. This is the kind of thread I wish mods could just wipe out the existing comments and start over with a warning.

Media

I don't think I attacked anyone. I expressed an opinion. Even asked the poster why he thought the picture was gross. As a woman who's been pregnant three times, I was a little offended at the concept of pregnant women being gross and wanted to explain why.

Thread got crazy after that with a lot of people coming at me for saying that and I got a bit heated.

Most of the "attacks" in this thread are from Mr. LMAO who is going on and on about manchildren and idiots.

I personally apologize if, through my posts, I have made it feel like I'm policing women in this thread... that is not my intention.

I know it would feel nice if everyone viewed a pregnant women's naked figure as a symbol of life giving power, but it will just never be that way. It seems like the majority of posters here really find the picture beautiful which is great. I'm not a woman, but when someone says "gross" I understand that a mother would feel personally attacked because that could be her in the photo. My main question is this, how should we address someone who doesn't view the image through the same lens as us?

I mean, I thought I addressed it okay? I asked him why he thought it was gross and explained why it could be considered offensive to some. I didn't call for his head or demand he shut up or anything. People are free to say what they want, and I am free to respond to them, I would hope?

jph139

Yeah, but the message here isn't the same as the message of say, a playboy cover, you know? It's more empowerment

Sure. And I don't have a problem with saying a criticism is in incorrectly oriented - like, if someone watched a documentary about Serena Williams and complained that he couldn't masturbate to it, then he's a dumbass.

I guess I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to critics which, I'll admit, maybe be naive on my part.

That being said, I think "eww gross" and "damn, would bang" are both, at the end of the day, subpar posts that don't really need to be made. Because, like you said, I don't think the goal here is to titillate, and neither is really contributing anything of value.

Which to me leads to the question of where appreciation of beauty (or, alternatively, critique of a photograph) crosses the line into objectification...

This one is accurate.

Samara

I think it's also one of the first pregnant black woman on a high end magazine.

And I know why some are reacting that way. I'm pretty sure if a celebrity with softer feature would never have had that reaction.

Preacher

I don't think I attacked anyone. I expressed an opinion. Even asked the poster why he thought the picture was gross. As a woman who's been pregnant three times, I was a little offended at the concept of pregnant women being gross and wanted to explain why.

Thread got crazy after that with a lot of people coming at me for saying that and I got a bit heated.

Most of the "attacks" in this thread are from Mr. LMAO who is going on and on about manchildren and idiots.

You are literally attacking me for my posting style lmao
2ErHQKY.png

And if you're wondering why I attacked any of you its because some of you guys are saying people shouldn't procreate and some of you even tried to paint the guy as a racist or insinuate racism out of nowhere.
What is this #BULLYGANG2017

Notice how not once have I ever told you to get a thicker skin or some annoying shit like that for being offended. In fact I borderline stopped making walls of inane rambling text as to not offend you. You're a dick, stop trying to act like you aren't lmao
If you want me to be an ass. I could have without the lmao, rambling, or anything else. The strawman you guys want to make is very easy to replicate in full detail

Media

You are literally attacking me for my posting style lmao
2ErHQKY.png

And if you're wondering why I attacked any of you its because some of you guys are saying people shouldn't procreate and some of you even tried to paint the guy as a racist or insinuate racism out of nowhere.
What is this #BULLYGANG2017

Notice how not once have I ever told you to get a thicker skin or some annoying shit like that for being offended. In fact I borderline stopped making walls of inane rambling text as to not offend you. You're a dick, stop trying to act like you aren't lmao
If you want me to be an ass. I could have without the lmao, rambling, or anything else. The strawman you guys want to make is very easy to replicate in full detail

I er...didn't do any of those things. I did wonder about your use of LMAO so often because I was wondering if you actually trolling and not being serious.

You actually have told us to stop being offended by dumb shit, called posters names, and now called me a dick.

I don't understand why being being offended about something is so offensive to you.

Keri

LOL. If you think pregnant women are gross, it's perfectly rational to say you shouldn't procreate. You'd have to be awfully goddamn entitled to insult women who are pregnant, but still expect someone to carry your child for you.

Top Bottom