• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sessions Says to Courts: Go Ahead, Jail People Because They’re Poor

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/opinion/sessions-says-to-courts-go-ahead-jail-people-because-theyre-poor.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0&referer=

Last week, Attorney General Jeff Sessions retracted an Obama-era guidance to state courts that was meant to end debtors’ prisons, where people who are too poor to pay fines are sent. This practice is blatantly unconstitutional, and the guidance had helped jump-start reform around the country. Its withdrawal is the latest sign that the federal government is retreating from protecting civil rights for the most vulnerable among us.

The Justice Department helped shine a light on the harms of fine and fees when it investigated Ferguson, Mo., three years ago after the killing of the teenager Michael Brown by a police officer. As one of the lawyers on that case, I saw firsthand the damage that the city had wrought on its black community.

Ferguson used its criminal justice system as a for-profit enterprise, extracting millions from its poorest citizens. Internal emails revealed the head of finance directing policing strategy to maximize revenue rather than ensure public safety. Officers told us they were pressured to issue as many tickets as possible.

Even the local judge was in on it, imposing penalties of $302 for jaywalking and $531 for allowing weeds to grow in one’s yard. He issued arrest warrants for residents who fell behind on payments — including a 67-year-old woman who had been fined for a trash-removal violation — without inquiring whether they even had the ability to pay the exorbitant amounts. The arrests resulted in new charges, more fees and the suspension of driver’s licenses. These burdens fell disproportionately on African-Americans.

I think that we can all agree that this is moving in the wrong direction.

A city can fine and jail people for not having a well maintained lawn!! How the hell is that legal.

Their property, their business. As long as they are not growing drugs, the city has no business ticketing people for what's on their lawn.

Ke0

Why is this not illegal?! $500 for unkempt lawn?! And of course it targets America's African community disproportionately. America really needs to sort it's shit out and stop this.

Soltype

A city can fine and jail people for not having a well maintained lawn!! How the hell is that legal.

Their property, their business. As long as they are not growing drugs, the city has no business ticketing people for what's on their lawn.

Why is this not illegal?! $500 for unkempt lawn?! And of course it targets America's African community disproportionately. America really needs to sort it's shit out and stop this.

Not if it becomes a hot bed of snakes, I've seen it happen before.

I imagine it’s for people that let their homes and yards go to absolute shit which becomes a hazard for others and harms property values.

Then those corner cases should be ticketed as creating a hazard for the public. However ticketinf and jailing people for having weeds on their lawn is absurd

If all options have been exhausted to defend oneself from unconstitutional fines and imprisonment then I see no choice but to resort to violence. Per constitution, if I am in my home or retreating to it, while being unlawfully arrested or confronted, I reserve the right to protect myself via the use of deadly force. I don't understand why people are putting up with this.

The people behind this deserve to be in prison or worse.

dc3k

I'm waiting for Republicans/conservatives to chime in on why this is a good thing.

"If you can't pay the fine, don't break the law"
"It forces people to clean their yard so my property values don't go down"
"The tickets help keep my taxes low"

Ke0

If all options have been exhausted to defend oneself from unconstitutional fines and imprisonment then I see no choice but to resort to violence. Per constitution, if I am in my home or retreating to it, while being unlawfully arrested or confronted, I reserve the right to protect myself via the use of deadly force. I don't understand why people are putting up with this.

The people behind this deserve to be in prison or worse.

Well to be realistic, you're talking about black Americans. The idea of protecting themselves wouldn't be met well by most of America. Look how they're treated and viewed for simply protesting unjust killings. Any further actions than that I would be scared to think what America's reaction would be.

RefigeKru

Banned
Land of the Free

In one of Jim Jeffries' stand up shows he jokes about the irony of the Land of the Free having the most people in prison. Is Sessions' only here to bring despair to the populace?

FStubbs

Well to be realistic, you're talking about black Americans. The idea of protecting themselves wouldn't be met well by most of America. Look how they're treated and viewed for simply protesting unjust killings. Any further actions than that I would be scared to think what America's reaction would be.

Look at what happened to the Black Panthers for a mild example.

Land of the Free

In one of Jim Jeffries' stand up shows he jokes about the irony of the Land of the Free having the most people in prison. Is Sessions' only here to bring despair to the populace?

Just the black people. He puts up with the abuse from Trump because he has the opportunity as Attorney General to foment his hatred.

Naudi

Banned
They're waiting for Trump/Fox News to spin it before they say anything

Fox news probably won't even talk about it lol. They aren't a real news channel. Just a bunch of one sided opinion pieces meant to help racist people feel better about themselves .

Top Bottom