• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

seven years till wizard status

Status
Not open for further replies.

VASPER

Banned
No you'll pretty much know that the meaning of life is sex and sexy time and things that lead to sex and cuddling. Or like how time literally stops when you meet someone and you know you're into each other and then you just go for it. Thousands of years of evolution leading up to this moment. Suddenly everything clicks and life will make sense. The first time your partner matches your rhythym to grinding hips and you both lose control, you will finally know what your ancestors where thinking when they made your mokey ass, reaching into the past for transcendental understanding. You will abandon your thousand dollar RC plane collection, you will begin collecting car parts instead. Or furniture, or tools and make your own furniture, or guns.

This is some shit right here tell you what.

I don't get why paying for sex is a solution. The main problem with virginity that I can see is that people will deem you socially maladjusted. Does that stigma really go away if you had to pay for sex? Like you go from "socially maladjusted virgin" to "normal person" because you shelled out a couple hundred bucks?

Kinsei

Banned
dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Hiya, I'm one.

HUELEN10

I've tried for years to understand, and I still don't to this day. Why is there such an obsession with having sex for the first time by a certain age? Is it a lack of self-confidence, something to prove to peers, or something else entirely? My ex-roomie was desperate, so desperate to get laid since I met him. Eventually, he got laid at 26, and didn't get laid since, yet he now felt sure about himself, whatever that means.

Didn't understand it in high school, didn't understand it in college, don't understand now. Is this "the thirst" that some GAF threads talk about?

Eidan

I've tried for years to understand, and I still don't to this day. Why is there such an obsession with having sex for the first time by a certain age? Is it a lack of self-confidence, something to prove to peers, or something else entirely? My ex-roomie was desperate, so desperate to get laid since I met him. Eventually, he got laid at 26, and didn't get laid since, yet he now felt sure about himself, whatever that means.

Didn't understand it in high school, didn't understand it in college, don't understand now. Is this "the thirst" that some GAF threads talk about?

Intense societal pressures that stigmatize male celibacy.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Sex is just fun. It is enjoyable. People should have as much sex as they can with as many partners as they can because every situation with every person is totally different. If you start young, you get to experience more of those situations.

Getting with the popular boy/girl, having sex in crazy places, hiding from parents. Same in college. The dorm relationship, the orgy, the one night stand.

You really are young only one time in your life. Your first time can be at 30 and nothing will be "wrong" with you, it's just missed opportunities that you can't reclaim.

But yes, in the grand scheme, there's also the societal expectations.

Eidan

You mean like

?
You think I'm stigmatizing virginity? My question was trying to seeing if there were any connections between virginity and views on feminism.

I'd tell virgins here to not sweat it. Fucking really isn't a big deal. It'll happen when it happens.

bud

dude, trust me: there's still hope. don't give up.

i lost my virginity at the age of 29.

i'm 26 now.

You think I'm stigmatizing virginity? My question was trying to seeing if there were any connections between virginity and views on feminism.

I'd tell virgins here to not sweat it. Fucking really isn't a big deal. It'll happen when it happens.

The expectation that male virgins are anti-feminist is also a problem. The fact that people expect a connection is pretty telling.

Of course maybe there is a statistical connection, but you aren't going to find out from an informal gaf "study."

Sex is just fun. It is enjoyable. People should have as much sex as they can with as many partners as they can because every situation with every person is totally different. If you start young, you get to experience more of those situations.

Getting with the popular boy/girl, having sex in crazy places, hiding from parents. Same in college. The dorm relationship, the orgy, the one night stand.

You really are young only one time in your life. Your first time can be at 30 and nothing will be "wrong" with you, it's just missed opportunities that you can't reclaim.

I honestly don't think this view is the only correct one. It is a fine view, but I'm sure more religious/conservative people would argue you miss out on something by not saving yourself for your life partner. And you can't exactly prove them wrong, just like they can't prove you wrong.

SugarDave

I'm guessing it's social pressure more than anything. As much as a lot of people like to insist their behaviour or thoughts aren't influenced by outside sources, if you hear something enough then eventually you'll probably start to believe it, or at least have it in the back of your mind. And with the amount of media produced where sex is pretty much highlighted as the most important thing in the world, or even small things like some people in GAF threads being surprised when they hear about a virgin in their mid-twenties, it's not really surprising that many people view it as being an essential step in growing as a person.

I think the case for the majority of virgins, myself included, is that they simply don't try. Sure, the ones who drive others away with their desperation exist, but I don't think that's what happens in most instances. This could just be my own experience colouring my perception of things but I really think it's a lack of effort more than anything. The big difference in that though is between the people who know and accept it's all down to themselves and those who shield themselves by placing the blame on everyone else as though sex is something they're owed.

Only two years left for me, but then again it's been real easy not getting laid as I'm fairly certain that i am the least attractive person in existence today. I've never once been complimented by a woman/girl that was not a blood relation and being polite (Have you ever told your sibling his/her child is ugly?), and in turn a girl/woman has never felt the desire to ask me out. Most of the time, i'm met with Hostility or disgust when i ask a girl out ( i rarely get a polite "No").

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The expectation that male virgins are anti-feminist is also a problem. The fact that people expect a connection is pretty telling.

Of course maybe there is a statistical connection, but you aren't going to find out from an informal gaf "study."

Exactly. And also, it surmises that one can't be critical/dislike FF/Sarkeesian/TvW and still be pro-Feminism.

terrisus

To you, in your opinion.

That doesn't really do anything to answer Huelen's question though.

Laconic

Banned

It is not just sex. In this society (America), pretty much everything is expected to follow a particular scripted chained of events, point for point, like life is just a flipping flowchart.

Eidan

Of course one wouldn't find a statistical connection. Still, it's something I've been thinking about. Obviously not every male virgin becomes a card carrying member of an MRA group, but how many people who prescribe to the MRA worldview have ever had anything approaching a substantive relationship with a woman? I can't imagine many. Which then makes me wonder how many can be described as "virgins gone bad"? But that's an entirely different subject.

Back on topic, happy birthday OP.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I honestly don't think this view is the only correct one. It is a fine view, but I'm sure more religious/conservative people would argue you miss out on something by not saving yourself for your life partner. And you can't exactly prove them wrong, just like they can't prove you wrong.

Well, that's most things in life. I gave him an example.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

There's kinda a pressure, sometimes external but also sometimes internalized by some men, that there's must be something wrong with you if you fail to have sex by a certain age, so the sooner the better, or that you have some sort of sexual expiration date, so to speak. Sort of the '40 Year Old Virgin' stigma, I guess.

'Thirst' actually is a way of saying 'desperate lust,' the way I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom