• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV March Update Details (Challenge Mode, Shop, Rematch, 8p Lounge, and more)

Dinjoralo

I would take out fight profiles and put battle announcers I would put real money/fight money for that. /:

Man... I'd really like to have the TvC announcer. I'm probably the only person on the planet who wants it, but that's the only fighting game I'd ever played before SFIV and V. I need dat.

poodaddy

Strongest woman in the world for a reason!
lmao, I mean she's basically always lugging around 40 or 50 pounds of chest meat so I imagine her lower back is pretty stout. Combine that with her ridiculous hammies and I just wanna know what she deadlifts.
Man... I'd really like to have the TvC announcer. I'm probably the only person on the planet who wants it, but that's the only fighting game I'd ever played before SFIV and V. I need dat.

That was your first fighter? I mean it's a great game but wow. Never played SF2 in arcades back in the day?

Dinjoralo

lmao, I mean she's basically always lugging around 40 or 50 pounds of chest meat so I imagine her lower back is pretty stout. Combine that with her ridiculous hammies and I just wanna know what she deadlifts.

That was your first fighter? I mean it's a great game but wow. Never played SF2 in arcades back in the day?

I wasn't even born when that game came out. Hell, I would have only been, like, three years old when Third Strike was in the arcades.

Lyriell

I would pay some serious cash to get the announcer from Alpha 3. 'GO FOR BROKE~!'

I'd also pay a high price for Skullomania rights.

Josh5890

I'm excited to be able to ask for a rematch finally. I wonder if doing so would raise the stakes for LP.

Any word on when this goes live?

8 player lobbies with spectating sounds great. Thats the most important online aspect for me (other than netcode quality). Still no proper arcade mode though. Hard to justify that $60 price tag without that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, I believe it means that all neutral and back jumps with the exception for Birdie and Zangief will take 4 frames to be considered airborne. This means that a move that takes 3 frames to become active (like a jab), will beat a person's jump attempt, keeping them on the ground.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Can't wait for this update, especially the salty runback option! Hopefully it'll appease a lot of people who were underwhelmed with the game's initial content.

Westlo

They seriously not going to add region restriction to Battle Lobbies like in SFIV? I know I can invite people and be invited, but sometimes I just want to join a random lobby and not have it be some American or Chinese 1 bar connection.

2 out of 3 ranked is great... but you're implementing that with no rage quitter penalty? Seriously?

*just lose a fight*
*I'm run that shit back*
*just about to win*
*d/c*

I'll be salty as fuck.

Xevren

Lobbies have been incredibly sketchy for me all week, really hope they at least fix this shit so 8 doesn't become an even bigger nightmare.

I think this is most likely the case. They had to show something , so SFV had to take the fall and come out early.

Final Round wasnt worth a 1 month delay on this patch.

You do realize a CPT event ALREADY took place last month, right?

They didn't release it so early just because of the fiscal year. Otherwise, they would have just release it once the March patch dropped and saved themselves a world of whining.

Renekton

More features are always nice but why the love for 8 player lobbies?

It's a spectate fest, hands get cold and stiff waiting for my turn.

SSReborn

Lol i know man I always thought super filled up lobbies were boring too much spectating. It's like 4 - 5 ppl max for me.

They seriously not going to add region restriction to Battle Lobbies like in SFIV? I know I can invite people and be invited, but sometimes I just want to join a random lobby and not have it be some American or Chinese 1 bar connection.

2 out of 3 ranked is great... but you're implementing that with no rage quitter penalty? Seriously?

*just lose a fight*
*I'm run that shit back*
*just about to win*
*d/c*

I'll be salty as fuck.

lol if people win and troll the runback. capcpom
GI2EhKK.png

I-hate-u

I like the rematch option. Very welcomed.

BUT, WHERE IS THE OPTION TO ENABLE CHARACTER'S SOUNDTRACK IN LOCAL VERSUS MODE? How can something so basic not be available, especially when all their previous fighters had this option?? :(

And all of this is FREE.

People, stop shitting on SFV, give it a chance. You all know this game was released in this state due to the CPT.

Not exactly "free". We paid 60$.

If they charged more money for this, there would be riots on the streets! :D

Raitaro

How the hell is arcade mode not there? WTF??!!!

They might actually have not considered that people would want such a mode, odd / tonedeaf as that may sound to us, so to expect them to whip one up in a month is perhaps asking a bit much.

I'm with you though; we do need an update on that outside of "we are considering it." Same for stage DLC, stage transitions being fully implemented, and fixes for visual glitches and clipping issues.

Daft Punk

Banned
The game is still missing several key features that they don't mention in this update, like Offline Versus CPU. The fact that it's not being added tells you how wrong their focus was when they launched it.

I'm still trying to understand how Offline Versus CPU is a "key feature" when you can just go play Survival mode and it's basically the same thing.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm still trying to understand how Offline Versus CPU is a "key feature" when you can just go play Survival mode and it's basically the same thing.

How is Survival Mode remotely the same thing? Yeah, you're fighting AI opponents, but you're not playing best 2 or 3 matches, you're carrying over your meter and health from one round to another, you can't manually adjust the difficulty, and if you lose once the AI actually starts to get challenging, you have to go all the way back to the very beginning and play against all the easy AI opponents again.

Why are some people so eager to defend the lack of this feature that would have been ridiculously easy for them to implement?

KingBroly

Banned

Survival is an ABYSMAL mode. No one likes it.

Here's what Offline Versus CPU offers that Survival doesn't:
- I can pick my opponent instead of one in a set in order
- Best of 3/5/7 Games
- Stage Selection
- Time Selection
- Handicaps
- Meters carry over between rounds
- I can change my character whenever I want without penalty
- I can try out characters in a somewhat competitive space without there being added pressure of facing other people or trying to get lucky going through X amount of waves in Survival

And no, Training versus the CPU doesn't give you half of that, either. There's a big difference between trying to execute something versus trying to execute it against someone/thing that can react when I may not expect it.

A.E Suggs

How is Survival Mode remotely the same thing? Yeah, you're fighting AI opponents, but you're not playing best 2 or 3 matches, you're carrying over your meter and health from one round to another, you can't manually adjust the difficulty, and if you lose once the AI actually starts to get challenging, you have to go all the way back to the very beginning and play against all the easy AI opponents again.

Why are some people so eager to defend the lack of this feature that would have been ridiculously easy for them to implement?

Because you give them the time of day with post like these. If that other topic is anything to go by these replies just repeat themselves over and over and over...

Still they did mention vs cpu coming soon somewhere. Its anyone's guess as to what that means, but I still don't consider that a key feature, arcade mode however is.

Hex

Banned
Survival is an ABYSMAL mode. No one likes it.

Here's what Offline Versus CPU offers that Survival doesn't:
- I can pick my opponent instead of one in a set in order
- Best of 3/5/7 Games
- Stage Selection
- Time Selection
- Handicaps
- Meters carry over between rounds
- I can change my character whenever I want without penalty
- I can try out characters in a somewhat competitive space without there being added pressure of facing other people or trying to get lucky going through X amount of waves in Survival

And no, Training versus the CPU doesn't give you half of that, either. There's a big difference between trying to execute something versus trying to execute it against someone/thing that can react when I may not expect it.

When you are in training, and you set the bot to CPU controlled and then set the difficulty it is exactly what you will be getting in "arcade mode".
If you think otherwise I do not know what to tell you.
The main difference will be having actual rounds without having to micro-manage.
I am not a huge fan of Survival but I am also glad that it is there.
Either way, Arcade mode will be there sooner or later and it will be a nice addition.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Lol i know man I always thought super filled up lobbies were boring too much spectating. It's like 4 - 5 ppl max for me.

Same here. King of the hill style lobbies are boring even if you know the people. That's why I keep asking for more details about the lobbies.

Are they going to be like sf4 lobbies or something like gg xrd where you could have multiple matches going on Simultaneously so that you're not waiting a long ass time in a queue every time you lose.

KingBroly

Banned
When you are in training, and you set the bot to CPU controlled and then set the difficulty it is exactly what you will be getting in "arcade mode".
The main difference will be having actual rounds without having to micro-manage.
Either way, Arcade mode will be there sooner or later and it will be a nice addition.

Arcade Mode was not in their initial plans, meaning that if they decide to put it in, it'd come next year at the earliest.

Offline Versus the CPU should already be in the game since it's in store demos already.

Survival Mode is terrible. You have Top Tier players saying this as well, not just casuals looking at the game wanting more content.

Durden77

Same here. King of the hill style lobbies are boring even if you know the people. That's why I keep asking for more details about the lobbies.

Are they going to be like sf4 lobbies or something like gg xrd where you could have multiple matches going on Simultaneously so that you're not waiting a long ass time in a queue every time you lose.

I imagine the latter. No way they're going to be that innovative. I actually didn't know xrd did that. That's rad.

Anyway I also agree 8 player lobbies usually are less fun than they sound, but it's good to have the option.

Anne

There was a way to jump cancel into an EX move like Peach for Mika that would make it so she couldn't be hit out of the move. The armor doesn't usually kick in for the first frame, but jump cancelling it would, thus giving her an invincible reversal.

Makes me wonder if this fixes that.

For anybody wondering, this technique isn't actually affected by the update in any way, sorry. Adding an additional pre-jump frame just makes it so it's one frame longer until a character is considered airborne, which makes jumping riskier and nerfs the throw/jump OS.

That technique exists in every SF game, the attack will gain "throw invuln" but can't be timed as a reversal so it will lose to anything meatie hitting the actual prejump frames. It was a non issue then, is a non issue now.

Edit: For people wondering what throw/jump OS, you input a jump and throw a frame apart when you think you're going to be hit by strike/throw mix up. If you time it right and they strike then you just block, if they throw then you tech, and if they do nothing you jump out, since you input the throw during the prejump frames you shouldn't even get an input while jumping. The patch didn't outright remove the OS because that is actually more or less impossible, it just made it riskier by a frame.

There should be an article on SRK later today detailing the implications of the throw tech changes for people who don't understand all the OSes that were happening and what was specifically addressed about them.

_jnup

I don't think many people know that you can fight against the CPU in training mode.

And all of this is FREE.

People, stop shitting on SFV, give it a chance. You all know this game was released in this state due to the CPT.

It should have been there on day one.

The fact that GG XRD, a game that cost half as much on PC had better multiplayer support than SF V out of the box is pathetic. I'm glad they're finally catching up. (yes, I know XRD released in 2014 on consoles and SF V is new, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of features)

Top Bottom