• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV March Update Details (Challenge Mode, Shop, Rematch, 8p Lounge, and more)

It should have been there on day one.

The fact that GG XRD, a game that cost half as much on PC had better multiplayer support than SF V out of the box is pathetic. I'm glad they're finally catching up. (yes, I know XRD released in 2014 on consoles and SF V is new, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of features)

There was also an arcade version of XRD which was around for quite some time before console release.

jacobeid

Banned
And all of this is FREE.

People, stop shitting on SFV, give it a chance. You all know this game was released in this state due to the CPT.

I think it's easier just to accept that SFV threads invite people to come shit on the game regardless of quality. I wonder when revisionist history for this game kicks in and it's regarded as a good entry for the series.
When there's a "controversy" for another upcoming release and people move on to that.

If there's one thing the Internet knows well, it's revisionist history.

Are they going to sort out the statistics at some point?

I miss all the stats from SFIV... where can I find out simple things like how many online matches I've played, what my ranked win percentage is, or even how long I've been playing the game?
Why would they take all that out?

It should have been there on day one.

The fact that GG XRD, a game that cost half as much on PC had better multiplayer support than SF V out of the box is pathetic.

And, now GG is asking for another $60 for you to continue playing the most current version of the game, whereas SF5 will NEVER do this.

Blueblur1

I don't think many people know that you can fight against the CPU in training mode.

That doesn't matter. People are looking for the easy and simple arcade mode wrapper. And while it hasn't been harped on as much, bonus stages are a part of that, too.

Ryce

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...moves-detailed-more-info-march-update-capcom/
Alex's Special Moves

Flash Chop: Alex performs a splendid chop. After the Heavy version, it's possible to combo into his throw attack "Power Drop".

Air Knee Smash: A very strong special move where Alex jumps up into the air with a flying knee. If he hits his opponent, he grabs his opponent and drops them down.

Power Bomb: A move where Alex grabs his opponent and slams them into the ground. It's very powerful, so let's make good use of this whenever it's an up-close fight.

Head Crush: Alex does a small jump to close distance, then grabs his opponent and delivers a hearty headbutt! This move delivers extremely high stun to the opponent!

That's 3 moves removed
Charge flash chop
Stomp
Whirlwind grab

And one new move which is a mini version of his old Stungun Headbutt super

Yeah, that's a bummer. Maybe he has new command normals that make up for it? I hope he has the diving fierce punch at least.

Pompadour

That's 3 moves removed
Charge flash chop
Stomp
Whirlwind grab

And one new move which is a mini version of his old Stungun Headbutt super

It would be nice if they'd just incorporate those old moves into the moveset, somehow. The Dashing Elbow could just be his EX Flash Chop. The stomp could do an air command normal that can do a Hard Knockdown Crush Counter, maybe? I can't come up with anything for the Cyclone DDT.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It would be nice if they'd just incorporate those old moves into the moveset, somehow. The Dashing Elbow could just be his EX Flash Chop. The stomp could do an air command normal that can do a Hard Knockdown Crush Counter, maybe? I can't come up with anything for the Cyclone DDT.

air grab?

Garlador

No Arcade Mode or Vs. CPU announced.

Unreal.

I'm STILL boggled Capcom didn't think these features weren't important enough to included, let alone thinking they weren't mandatory to begin with. Out of hundreds of fighting games, i can't recall a single one that didn't have these basic functions....

I just.... I want to know what world they live in.

Blueblur1

Literally everything in the title is completely free, and Alex is free if you beat the Story mode that everyone is complaining is too short and easy.

Be ready to eat crow if the store launches and items like the pre-order costumes and the premium costumes for the DLC characters can only be bought with real money.

mattp

ive said this before and im gonna say it again

i dont know why they cant just turn character stories into an arcade mode replacement
just make the difficulty selectable, make each fight best 2 of 3 rounds(and no starting with full meter) and then just add some filler matches between the cutscenes to pad it into 8 matches

Clipse

Be ready to eat crow if the store launches and items like the pre-order costumes and the premium costumes for the DLC characters can only be bought with real money.
I wouldn't mind. Cammy's pre-order costume regularly goes for $60 on eBay. I'll gladly pay $5-6 through the in-game store.

Mesoian

ive said this before and im gonna say it again

i dont know why they cant just turn character stories into an arcade mode replacement
just make the difficulty selectable, make each fight best 2 of 3 rounds(and no starting with full meter) and then just add some filler matches between the cutscenes to pad it into 8 matches

Because it would force them to make character stories that amount to more than "birdie likes to eat, Karin is rich, Chunli has a loli".

Lothars

Pre-order costumes might cost but I have no doubt that premium costumes can be bought with fight money.

mattp

Because it would force them to make character stories that amount to more than "birdie likes to eat, Karin is rich, Chunli has a loli".

huh? no it wouldnt

they literally can just add 2 additional fights between each cutscene match and be done with it
nothing has to change. who cares if it "makes sense". oh birdie got in 2 fights before whatever happened next in his story. done

Malice215

They're already working on a cinematic story mode, and padding the existing story mode isn't going to make the people who are already scorned by Capcom feel any better about their purchase.

Once they address the more pressing issues with this game, then they should go back and work on arcade mode, VS CPU, and making the existing story mode suck less.

Mesoian

huh? no it wouldnt

they literally can just add 2 additional fights between each cutscene match and be done with it
nothing has to change. who cares if it "makes sense". oh birdie got in 2 fights before whatever happened next in his story. done

The fact that these fights are one round lowest difficulty deals sort of cements the fact that everything about the mode is throw away. The fights are bad, the art is bad, the stories are bad, it's as if they knew everything surrounding the mode was poor and it's true purpose is to provide people an easy entry point to the eventual store. If the fights were competent, it would highlight incompetent the story is. If the story was competent, it'd highlight the terrible nature of the fights. The only way this works in a way where people don't complain is if everything is terrible, but people are still rewarded for spending the 40 minutes it takes to gather the FM needed to buy the first character.

They COULD fix it by making them actual matches with increasing difficulty separated by occasional cutscenes and a boss encounter at the end. But then it's just arcade mode, and what do they do with this terrible terrible mode once they get around to adding an actual arcade mode?

I know people are making a lot of noise about the lack of a proper arcade mode, but honestly, I'm more upset by the fact that what is in the game that isn't actively fighting other people is 100% terrible. SF5 easily has the worst single play content in a fighting game in the past 10 years.

They're already working on a cinematic story mode, and padding the existing story mode isn't going to make the people who are already scorned by Capcom feel any better about their purchase.

Once they address the more pressing issues with this game, then they should go back and work on arcade mode, VS CPU, and making the existing story mode suck less.

While I agree with you, I'd say that the number 2 biggest problem with the game is it's terrible single player/offline content. And I wouldn't really mind if Capcom were doing other stuff that bolsters the experience of playing against other people like multigame lobbies or server lists that actually update in a reasonable amount of time with the correct information. But their efforts thus far seem to be bandaids for their existing plans, which, 3 weeks in, are starting to seem pretty lackluster.

The thought that including a single player mode most of the people who aren't interested in online play enjoy is not a pressing issue shows exactly how out of touch Capcom is.

If they included arcade and vs. Cpu mode they wouldn't have customers like me who are actively discouraging their friends from buying the game.

The fact that these fights are one round lowest difficulty deals sort of cements the fact that everything about the mode is throw away. The fights are bad, the art is bad, the stories are bad, it's as if they knew everything surrounding the mode was poor and it's true purpose is to provide people an easy entry point to the eventual store. If the fights were competent, it would highlight incompetent the story is. If the story was competent, it'd highlight the terrible nature of the fights. The only way this works in a way where people don't complain is if everything is terrible, but people are still rewarded for spending the 40 minutes it takes to gather the FM needed to buy the first character.

They COULD fix it by making them actual matches with increasing difficulty separated by occasional cutscenes and a boss encounter at the end. But then it's just arcade mode, and what do they do with this terrible terrible mode once they get around to adding an actual arcade mode?

I know people are making a lot of noise about the lack of a proper arcade mode, but honestly, I'm more upset by the fact that what is in the game that isn't actively fighting other people is 100% terrible. SF5 easily has the worst single play content in a fighting game in the past 10 years.
Exactly. They're not adding arcade mode anyway.

The thought that including a single player mode most of the people who aren't interested in online play enjoy is not a pressing issue shows exactly how out of touch Capcom is.

If they included arcade and vs. Cpu mode they wouldn't have customers like me who are actively discouraging their friends from buying the game.
Why would you tell your friends not to get it? Do they only like playing against computers? If your friends had it you could play against them.

Mesoian

Why would you tell your friends not to get it? Do they only like playing against computers? If your friends had it you could play against them.

The prospect of a 60 (potentially 90) dollar game that is only brought out when friends come around a losing deal for most people. The advent of good netcode eases this issue, but it doesn't eliminate it, especially if you're a region with bad internet (which is still 20% of the country).

Garlador

Most of my friends live in areas that either have bad online service, or they simply don't like playing human opponents and like fighting the CPU.

It's not that bizarre, really. The game is a wash for them until it offers them substantial offline content.

Korezo

No. We paid for this already with our $60.

This is like someone buying the $60 version of Hitman when ep 1 releases, and saying eps 2-6 are free when they come out.

Yeah, I never understood the "This is all free" crap. I always felt the stuff they adding now are stuff that was suppose to be included with the game.

Skilletor

Pre-order costumes might cost but I have no doubt that premium costumes can be bought with fight money.

Premium costumes cannot be bought with fight money.

They've said this multiple times. It's even on the PDF they released. Premium costumes cost zenny = real money. Story outfits can be bought with fight money.

Exactly. They're not adding arcade mode anyway.

I can play against them with me being the only one with the game. We only play against each other and against the computer. Online play is just a novelty for most of my friends. Since at the moment there isn't a vs. Cpu mode and I find practice mode boring it's not like I have an unfair advantage by me being the only one with the game. I don't even play it unless they come over or I go to their place.

Top Bottom