• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

"What reason could they have to withhold review code?"

This is first post and I assume your concern. Why else would you write it otherwise?

They do not withhold review code so the whole premise is incorrect.

For some reason even though you were absolutely wrong about them withholding review code you're still concerned.
Now it's just a new concern. Completely on the opposite spectrum of the previous concern. Curious, that.

Except for the fact they haven't released any PC review code. I think that may be cause for concern.

VanWinkle

Except for the fact they haven't released any PC review code. I think that may be cause for concern.

I don't think it is at all. I just think console review codes are more common. Devs/pubs don't have to worry about what build the publication has or if certain parts of their build are making the game work weird or something. Just easier to send the console code.

Grimsen

I don't think it is all. I just think console review codes are more common. Devs/pubs don't have to worry about what build the publication has or if certain parts of their build are making the game work weird or something. Just easier to send the console code.

Exactly. Most review outlets receiced the 360 version of multiplat games last gen and the ps4 version this gen. Brad Shoemaker talked about it on a recent bombcast.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Be concerned for that particular version. Frankly, anyone can be concerned about anything and everything.

I just thought it was a hilarious display about being corrected and then continuing to argue for the same point even though the whole foundation of the argument was gone.

There certainly was no indication whatsoever that the posts were about the PC version exclusively and the quality of the port.

VanWinkle

The evasive AMA answers to the PC version were mildly annoying but I'm not worried. I'm sure the community will figure out tweaks and such as they become needed.

Maybe the people that were answering questions on Reddit didn't know the little technical details or anything, so the best they could do is just say that there is nothing to worry about.

From what I can tell, WB Games just doesn't care about the PC version from a marketing/PR perspective whereas Monolith seems pretty sincere aboout supporting it. The only PC code playthrough footage looks great (although for some reason they don't go into the control / settings detail us PC geeks like to obsess over.)

The PC port was brought up several times in their Reddit AMA and their answers are solid if a tad unspecific:

(...) We have spent a great deal of time and attention to detail on each version of the game to make sure the experience is the highest quality. We take each platform very seriously and feel the PC is at a high quality. We are excited to hear your thoughts on it.

Monolith's history is with developing on the PC and we are all huge PC fans here.

(...) The framerate is capped at 100 fps due to internal engine settings. You will able to see the graphics in the Nvidia stream tomorrow and the PC was one of our primary development versions.

We feel great about our PC version and spent a lot of time making sure we created the best experience for that platform.

spirity

Some of those Warchief designs are absolutely fantastic and the Nemesis system looks great. I'm not sure if I'm such a fan of the Assassins Creed/Nightcrawler combat, doesn't give me much of a LOTR feel, but I'm on board for this nonetheless.

Braag

So bizarre finally seeing non-tearing footage with the PC version. Also, didn't think the Dark Ranger skin would look THAT good!

I noticed his blades look different with the Dark Ranger outfit as well so I guess the bonus outfits also change the look of his weaponry.

Edit: Actually he mentioned that your weapons change visually throughout the game so maybe it's just that.

Arken2121

I noticed his blades look different with the Dark Ranger outfit as well so I guess the bonus outfits also change the look of his weaponry.

Edit: Actually he mentioned that your weapons change visually throughout the game so maybe it's just that.

Well they also change based on the runes you put in them.

Be concerned for that particular version. Frankly, anyone can be concerned about anything and everything.

I just thought it was a hilarious display about being corrected and then continuing to argue for the same point even though the whole foundation of the argument was gone.

There certainly was no indication whatsoever that the posts were about the PC version exclusively and the quality of the port.

I think its hilarious you still have no idea what I was asking. Try harder please.

Sweeeet. That outfit rights one of the few wrongs I find with the game so far. Talion's mediocre look.

More of a fan of the tattered cloth physics and furry outline myself.

inMfy4ydFt0U1.gif

Vitter.

I hope this is a surprise as Batman: Arkham Asylum was.
I remember those early leaked reviews claiming it was a 9/10 and those ¨rumors¨ that WB pay them up.. but then the game came out and it was amazing.

I'll be waiting to have more info after release though, to make a decision this time around. With Bats I went after it like crazy haha.

hwy_61

Banned
Yes, but you're extremely lucky that you still have a first viewing of those films ahead of you. They are fantastic!

Yeah, I don't have a good excuse for not having watched them. Somebody gave me the trilogy on DVD a long time ago, and I would always start watching fellowship at night and just fall asleep 30 minutes into it. I've since lost that trilogy...I'm gonna get around to it, I swear.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad Monolith didn't work for a 120 FPS engine lock. That way those with 120 Hz monitors are still happy.

I wonder if they're still using the Lithtech engine or a new version of that at least. The last iteration was the Lithtech Jupiter EX one. Still makes me smile seeing that engine name, big part of my childhood/growing up seeing the Lithtech name in their games :p

I got way more excited for this game when I found out these are the same guys that made F.E.A.R.(thanks for that machinima link). Probably not day one but I'll definitely at the very least give it a rent before Dragon Age.

UnrealEck

I'm a bit cautious of this game even moreso after seeing that PC footage. It looks a bit glitchy, stuttery and the graphics don't look particularly good. It annoyed me that they didn't ask about the graphics settings or any framerate caps when it's an nVidia event they were showing it at.

Yoday

I'm a bit cautious of this game even moreso after seeing that PC footage. It looks a bit glitchy, stuttery and the graphics don't look particularly good. It annoyed me that they didn't ask about the graphics settings or any framerate caps when it's an nVidia event they were showing it at.
It's Monolith, the PC version will be just fine. I know not a lot of people know who Monolith are since they have been criminally underutilized the last few years, but they are an amazing developer. They started out as a PC developer, so they know their shit when it comes to making a good PC game. I would actually be rather shocked if this game wasn't PC first and ported to consoles.

Monolith constantly strive to make something fresh. They are the ones that gave us No One Lives Forever, FEAR, and Condemned. Since FEAR 2 they have been relegated to doing downloadable only games for some bizarre reason, but even then they managed to some interesting things with Gotham City Imposters and Guardians of Middle-Earth. While both games scored about average in the reviews department, they were both surprising for what they were. Nobody thought a Batman FPS was going to be any good at all, and it proved to be fairly decent. Likewise, they managed to pull off a well done console focused MOBA that sadly nobody played.

I am super excited to see Monolith back in true form. I have been a fan of theirs since the NOLF days, and it's been unfortunate how absent they have been. I hope this game does well enough to keep them going on bigger games for years to come.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I hope this isnt Assasins Creed in a LoTR skin. The combat looks sort of Arkhamish which is a good thing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Framerate is capped at 100fps.

Tucah

you speak so well
I probably should have done this for Destiny instead of settling for the PS3 version but fuck it, I just bought a PS4 so I could play this when it comes out. HYPE.

It's Monolith, the PC version will be just fine. I know not a lot of people know who Monolith are since they have been criminally underutilized the last few years, but they are an amazing developer. They started out as a PC developer, so they know their shit when it comes to making a good PC game. I would actually be rather shocked if this game wasn't PC first and ported to consoles.

Monolith constantly strive to make something fresh. They are the ones that gave us No One Lives Forever, FEAR, and Condemned. Since FEAR 2 they have been relegated to doing downloadable only games for some bizarre reason, but even then they managed to some interesting things with Gotham City Imposters and Guardians of Middle-Earth. While both games scored about average in the reviews department, they were both surprising for what they were. Nobody thought a Batman FPS was going to be any good at all, and it proved to be fairly decent. Likewise, they managed to pull off a well done console focused MOBA that sadly nobody played.

I am super excited to see Monolith back in true form. I have been a fan of theirs since the NOLF days, and it's been unfortunate how absent they have been. I hope this game does well enough to keep them going on bigger games for years to come.

*bro-hugs*

Top Bottom