• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 delayed to 2nd half of 2018.

so it was shown at Sonys E3 conference at E3 2015... talking about "early announcement"...

Showing it at Sony's E3 conference, two minutes after the FFVII Remake trailer, granted it maximum exposure and thus, brought a lot of money to the Kickstarter, so it was a good thing. And the reason is was announced early is because IT'S A KICKSTARTER!

lawtowler

Any Shenmue fan will see this as good news. The game was clearly not ready to be released in 2017, I don't think anyone was expecting it.

Now that it's officially out in the open I look forward to seeing screens/trailers etc drop at a more realistic, expected time.

Saw that coming. And I am kinda relieved it came this way. Even with a very capable Engine at hand, I was afraid that, with a development time of just two years for a project as ambitious as Shenmue, it might have become a rather short experience.

Now it's SEGA's turn to revive the IP on Steam and on consoles, possibly going all-in with in-depth making-ofs to create some buzz for the true sequel.

Tailzo

I want them to delay the game, and make it awesome.

Or delay it as much as possible, and make it as awesome as possible.

edit:
The only kickstarted I have backed was this one, with 200$.

xrnzaaas

A logical thing to do would be to release the remasters this year and the new entry next year. Question is will modern gamers be excited for a new game after they come in contact with the archaic gameplay of Shenmue 1 & 2. I've never played any Shenmue so please don't hate me, but after looking at some gameplay vids I don't plan to.

Bastos

I've waited so much without even knowing if I'd ever play Shenmue 3. I can still wait for as long as it's needed.

Elios83

We all knew that 2 years of active development weren't enough for this game.
But I think they should be in a position to release their first full trailer relatively soon at least.
It will be interesting to see who's gonna pay the costs for the extra year of development. Kickstarter budget is not enough.

Spaghetti

Cool with it. Seemed like an inevitability after deciding not to show up at E3 this year.

This quote from the video -

In many ways, the game has become bigger and more beautiful than I initially expected.

- is pretty exciting.

I wonder how they can afford a delay this long....
The tripled their initial goal, have made an additional $400,000 in Slacker Backing, and have a non-KS funding source (Shibuya Productions). Take your pick.

Vash63

Good, though I do hope they have some additional funding source somewhere. The game's KS was nowhere near enough for the scale and scope of the game, and another year of development is gonna be costly.

Edit:
The tripled their initial goal, have made an additional $400,000 in Slacker Backing, and have a non-KS funding source (Shibuya Productions). Take your pick.

Hmm, any idea how much funding they got from Shibuya? Would be interested what the total budget is now.

Matticers

Fine by me. I want this to be as good and as polished as possible. Plus it makes me a little more hopeful that Shenmue 1 & 2 HD might come out later this year to hold us over.

Spaghetti

Hmm, any idea how much funding they got from Shibuya? Would be interested what the total budget is now.
In late 2015, Cedric Biscay (Shibuya Productions president) said the overall budget was "several millions", and the majority was coming from them. Optimistic guess is that it exceeds the amount raised on Kickstarter.

I wasn't aware of any previous release schedule, but wouldn't have expected it before then anyway. Even late 2018 seems optimistic to be honest.

sgtmofo

Neo Member
I'm completely fine with the delay, but I honestly don't see this releasing in Q4 2018 either. A holiday release window would be terrible if you're trying to reel in new fans to the series. Financially, it'd be much better as a Q1 2019 title when there is typically a lull in high quality AAA releases.

I'd definitely like to see a gameplay trailer by the end of the year.

ianpm31

Not surprised by the delay. Take your time Yu Suzuki. I've waited over 15 years for Shenmue 3 so another year is no big deal.

Clive

After 16 years I care more about getting a good final product than waiting another half a year. It takes the time it takes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm fine with this. Its going to be a pretty ambitious game especially for a kickstarter project and basically nothing was really done when it was announced.

I'm glad for the delay, as I want this to be as great as possible and I'll also be able to resist buying a PS4 for another year, thus easing the burden on my bank account!

MaulerX

Great. Expected after the announcement that it wont be at this years E3. Take your time and focus on making it the best you can.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Original planned release date as per Kickstarter pitch was end of 2017.

Anyone with even a tiny bit of experience with Kickstarter games knows you always add a year to the release date stated in the pitch, and assume that's the starting point for a potential release date. I expect the game in mid-to-late 2019.

I want them to delay the game, and make it awesome.

Or delay it as much as possible, and make it as awesome as possible.

edit:
The only kickstarted I have backed was this one, with 200$.

Yeah, if I were a Shenmue fan, I'd be worried if they ship the game in 2017, or even 2018.

3 years dev cycle doesn't sound good for the quality and scope of the game. They should take all the time they need.

Top Bottom