• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 delayed to 2nd half of 2018.

orient

Neo Member
I'm glad it's official; the team have probably known for the past 12 months that it wouldn't make 2017, and the fans knew it, too. It puts me at easy, honestly, because there's no way that game is close to done.

The comment from Yu Suzuki and recently from Justin Bailey on how beautiful the game is gets me pumped as well.

I'd rather it be done right, and it gives people more time to catch up on the series and play Shenmue I & II HD, which will most definitely be announced at E3 (I hope).

Hesh

More time for Suzuki and Sega to work out a deal for a Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release ahead of 3's release to refresh consumers on the IP and snag some new fans.

MaulerX

Yeah, if I were a Shenmue fan, I'd be worried if they ship the game in 2017, or even 2018.

3 years dev cycle doesn't sound good for the quality and scope of the game. They should take all the time they need.

This and it gives the powers that be time to release the HD remakes in between!

Yeah, but when Star Citizen does it, all hell breaks loose.

Yeah yeah ..it's not like the dates for annoncement and the develloppement times are totally different /s

Call me back when shenmue 3 will be in develooppement for as long as star citizen is ATM

Data Ghost

Not surprised, nor am I bothered. I'll wait as long as it takes for a game we never thought would happen, still a dream come true!

Jibby

Neo Member
I'm absolutely fine with this. I'm glad they recognise that they need more time instead of making it a rush job.

It also provides a bigger window for Shenmue I and II HD to come out.

At the pace of the updates and what's being shown I wouldn't be surprised with around that time next year it gets delayed again to mid 2019 or later.

GriffinCorp

Not surprised and not worried. They need a little extra time and I would be just fine if it gets another push back to fall of 2018. I've waited so many years for this... Its going to be worth the wait.

I feel like that's when most people expected the game
to hit anyways ,now just give us an HD collection fall 2017 or spring 2018 👀

LeleSocho

Banned
I have my doubts it will even release in 2018 but that's ok.
That's really the one game that needs all the time in the world.

I'm actually pretty sure that this game won't end up being that much but if there is that particle of hope it does end up being great then thy need time to perfect it.

Spaghetti

I know this was already responded to a bunch of times, but holy hell 🙄
Mmhm. Despite the huge boost of publicity Shenmue III got appearing at Sony's E3 in 2015, it has now become a popular target for console warrior wanks to get snarky about; conveniently forgetting that the game needed to be announced to be funded.

At the pace of the updates and what's being shown I wouldn't be surprised with around that time next year it gets delayed again to mid 2019 or later.
The updates aren't even a fraction of the work that's been done already. We know this from firsthand accounts.

photogaz

How big is the development team on this? I'm not surprised it was delayed, I never expected it this year to be honest.

ZoddGutts

Surprising no one. This won't be a small sized game. A three year or so development cycle for this type of game was expected, especially with the amount of money they ended getting, giving them enough time to work on it without rushing it.

flattie

Absolutely zero issues with this. A cheeky Shenmue 1&2 HD release would be good though; it has been such a long time since I played those games.

Jibby

Neo Member
I don't see a 2019 delay. We know for a fact that the game is much further along than what we've seen as backers. The 2nd half of 2018 seems like the sweet spot.

Billy Lee

I'm glad it's official; the team have probably known for the past 12 months that it wouldn't make 2017, and the fans knew it, too. It puts me at easy, honestly, because there's no way that game is close to done.

The comment from Yu Suzuki and recently from Justin Bailey on how beautiful the game is gets me pumped as well.

I'd rather it be done right, and it gives people more time to catch up on the series and play Shenmue I & II HD, which will most definitely be announced at E3 (I hope).

What comments?

emb

Probably one of the least surprising delays possible.

I'm cool with it. Within reason, take as long as possible to perfect it!

KageMaru

I think this delay also bodes well in terms to how funding is going with the game. Either they are accomplishing more with the money they received and continue to receive or they maybe have more funding from undisclosed backers?

Either way, I hope this means they will be closer to their original vision at the end.

nOoblet16

They have $100m+ in funding and have been running for many years.
It's also a game with a far larger and never before seen scope. The Star Citizen shitting started just 2 years into development. When Shenmue 3 comes out it'd have been with 3 years development time.

It's understandable that a game with a scope like Star Citizen takes 5 years or so, GTA takes that long and while Rockstar has proven themselves, the developments behind Star Citizen have proven themselves in the past as well even if they did so while working under different studios. Money alone won't make a development faster because as far as software design philosophies go putting more people to work on the same project doesn't necessarily always result in faster development.

Top Bottom