• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 delayed to 2nd half of 2018.

I was never expecting the game in 2017 so this is not surprising. I also don't expect it 2018 but if it did I could see September 2018.

jett

D-Member
Kickstarted project misses originally proposed release date.

You have to be living in a cave to be surprised by this.

Spaghetti

You have to be living in a cave to be surprised by this.
A cave, eh?

150707115929876656.jpg

daveo42

Banned
So 2019 then? Haven't watched the backer video yet but I never expected this to come out anywhere near its proposed release date.

Kssio_Aug

The Kickstart was announced in 2015, and that's not a simple game. People expectations about it are immense, so they need to do tons of work to make it right and to make it feel a true successor of such a famous franchise.

Not surprised in the slightest. But I think they should never have anounced it for the end of 2017, that was clearly unachievable.

Jingo

This is why i cant bake anything, theres no way i would give money in advance for a product that will come out 3 years later in best chances, im not rich so i just cant do it.

Shocking!!!!

What's the deal with this game again? PS4 console exclusive, but also coming to PC? I honestly can't remember.

This is also why I like Sony E3 Press Conferences the least. The announce shit way too far in advance. Both FF7remake and this were announced the same year, yet both seem to have trouble in development? Who knew!?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Shocking!!!!

What's the deal with this game again? PS4 console exclusive, but also coming to PC? I honestly can't remember.

This is also why I like Sony E3 Press Conferences the least. The announce shit way too far in advance. Both FF7remake and this were announced the same year, yet both seem to have trouble in development? Who knew!?

What trouble? The kick starter was announced and there was no game at that point. They were in pre production at best and hadn't even gotten the full development team up and running. These things take time in the best situations especially starting from scratch like this game was.

Spaghetti

But I think they should never have anounced it for the end of 2017, that was clearly unachievable.
In fairness to them, the December 2017 window was set before the Kickstarter launched, and they had no idea of the overwhelming, record-breaking support that was coming.

Shocking!!!!

PC and PS4, yes.

But you're having a lapse of logic over the reveal, had to be announced to get funded so I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

Not sure why you're categorising this as trouble in development either. If the size and scope of the game expanded (as is probably with a game that got triple its original budget), then a delay is only natural to accommodate.

It's almost like you have some kind of console warrior axe to grind. Hm...

AmyS

December 2017 always seemed overly ambitious.

From the start, I always felt somewhere between Fall 2018 and Early 2019 was more realistic in terms of release timing.

Gestault

I'm happy to see them get this announcement out there. I think the original timeline was a lofty goal, even from day one. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

In fairness to them, the December 2017 window was set before the Kickstarter launched, and they had no idea of the overwhelming, record-breaking support that was coming.

PC and PS4, yes.

But you're having a lapse of logic over the reveal, had to be announced to get funded so I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

Not sure why you're categorising this as trouble in development either. If the size and scope of the game expanded (as is probably with a game that got triple its original budget), then a delay is only natural to accommodate.

It's almost like you have some kind of console warrior axe to grind. Hm...

Thanks. I thought it was coming to PC. No console warrior axe to grind. If all consoles do well, gamers benefit. Nothing wrong there. I'm just not the biggest fan of announcements of games so far in advance is all. I do remember now that Shenmue 3 was different, as it was an announcement of a kickstarter.

yyr

Don't care.

I've waited 15 years, I can handle one more. Just as long as it's still coming. I bought my PS4 mostly to play this, and it is patiently waiting.

EvB

Don't care.

I've waited 15 years, I can handle one more. Just as long as it's still coming. I bought my PS4 mostly to play this, and it is patiently waiting.

With Shenmue's track record , you won't be playing on PS4

Spaghetti

Thanks. I thought it was coming to PC. No console warrior axe to grind. If all consoles do well, gamers benefit. Nothing wrong there. I'm just not the biggest fan of announcements of games so far in advance is all. I do remember now that Shenmue 3 was different, as it was an announcement of a kickstarter.
No worries. I'm just a bit suspicious of "announced too early" arguments, as it's something console warriors have been using recently.

At least show some progress, game play, trailer, anything at E3 guys ..
They already said they're not participating in game shows in the coming months and are devoting time to development.

And frankly, now we know the release is at the very least a year away, they can kick the reveal can down the road a bit longer. In the end I think we'd all rather have them keeping their heads down working. Make hay while the sun is shining and all that shit.

This smells like shovelware
I don't think you know what that word means.

eXistor

Huh, I didn't even know of a release date. I always assumed this was gonna be the case. I don't mind. I've waited long enough already, I just want the game to be as good as it can be.

Spaghetti

Oh, Switch over at the Shenmue Dojo has a more accurate translation of what Yu said than was conveyed in the video. You can check out his full notes here.

His translation reads like:

DWFOG0g.png

Get hype.

Top Bottom