• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

backed out of my $500 pledge. I fell into the hype of the sony conference announcement and threw down my money as fast as I could. I'm beating a dead horse here, but during the whole process of this KS, it just didn't sit right with me. I feel that they are just giving us a Shenmue 3 to grease the squeaky wheel. Added to the fact that the "true Suzuki vision" won't be seen because it's ~6M short.

Will I play it? Absolutely. Would I have kept my $100 or even the $500 I was planning to throw in on the last day if they laid out everything in front of me. Hell yes. Being on the Sony stage gave me the confidence that we are getting a true Shenmue title that us fans were dreaming of and it's not gonna happen.

And I am prepared to be completely flamed for this

I don't know what this means

looking at the progression of this kickstarter, it wont be hitting the 10mil mark even with a huge last day push. Is everyone going to be happy getting what is currently proposed from what they've heard?

I kind of wish they would have jsut came out and ask for 10mil instead of of making these extra goals to give us a more complete game. It just feels setup for failure now.

It would have NEVER gotten funded if they asked for $10 Million upfront

Kama_1082

Banned
Your prerogative. I think its been stated enough times now that even at $2M it was going to live up to the previous 2 installments so in my mind, anything over that initial 2M barrier is just gravy. He might have some extra ideas and things, but that can go on forever. 20M, 50M, 100M. I mean let's not forget this is the guy who blew through $65M+ back in the late 90s and judging from the stories on Shenmue Dojo, some of that money was pissed away on stupid ideas.

But hey man, I love Shenmue 1 and 2 warts and all. They were still groundbreaking as hell in their day and I'm happy to get a 3rd game at all. You should be too. Not asking you to kick back in your money because that's totally your call and people are being way too pushy about that stuff here, but I'm telling you to be excited for the game because it met the initial funding goal and had the campaign not raised even a dollar over 2M, we'd still be getting a Shenmue game.

Please see my reply above.

That is one thing that I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about Suzuki's vision to make a great game. I'm worried that if he knows how to work with extreme limits with funding for a next generation console and PC. I don't want him to shrug his shoulders in
the end and say "Well, that's why I needed more money."

Kama_1082

Banned
I don't know what this means

It would have NEVER gotten funded if they asked for $10 Million upfront

all the screams for a new Shenmue 3 are finally being silenced with a $2M sequel which may not even live to up anything as good as the 1st two games. But hey, it's shenmue 3.

backed out of my $500 pledge. I fell into the hype of the sony conference announcement and threw down my money as fast as I could. I'm beating a dead horse here, but during the whole process of this KS, it just didn't sit right with me. I feel that they are just giving us a Shenmue 3 to grease the squeaky wheel. Added to the fact that the "true Suzuki vision" won't be seen because it's ~6M short.

Will I play it? Absolutely. Would I have kept my $100 or even the $500 I was planning to throw in on the last day if they laid out everything in front of me. Hell yes. Being on the Sony stage gave me the confidence that we are getting a true Shenmue title that us fans were dreaming of and it's not gonna happen.

And I am prepared to be completely flamed for this

gxVbLKi.jpg

For me its fine. We are getting freaking Shenmue III! SHENMUE III!!! :D

That is enough on its own to have me sold especially with Yu Suzuki and his colleagues working on the game who worked on the original rather than another creative team working on it.

Yes its disappointing that some features may be skipped/cancelled but this is how development goes. I would love Sega to foot up the $15-20 million production cost and we all got a true sequel in 2017 along with remasters of the old games. But in a real world that isn't going to happen.

So a Kickstarter with $3.5+ million is already fantastic for a Shenmue's fan point of view! :D

I hope they can hit $5-7 million before the end of the Kickstarter but more so I hope they continue a blog and donation/rewards on their own website like Start Citizen, or pCARS. This way they will get 100% of the money (no loss to Kickstarter etc) and a chance for the really passionate fans to dig deep and slowly help cover the production cost. Then by summer next year close the Kickstarter fund as production will have to be in a lockdown start and backers end up a bit feisty if you don't put a lockdown on production :p

Amen to this.

N.A

Banned
I don't really understand this logic... You say you don't have the money, but you are willing to up your pledge for better knickknacks. So you do(?) have the money then?

If you are willing to give an amount for trinkets then why not just instead give that amount for a better finished product? Isn't that what the end goal really is here, the best possible version of Shenmue 3?

Not quite sure why i'm being criticized for "only" pledging $180. That is already not an insignificant amount of money to me.

Quite simply i'm not in a position where I can easily give $500. I would be willing to leave myself seriously short of money next month but not for 3 capsule toys.

There is no guarantee that my extra $320 will even make a difference atm. Better tiers and more momentum for the campaign will encourage everyone that they can reach their stretch goals and fulfill their promises.

Spaghetti

That is one thing that I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about Suzuki's vision to make a great game. I'm worried that if he knows how to work with extreme limits with funding for a next generation console and PC. I don't want him to shrug his shoulders in
the end and say "Well, that's why I needed more money."
here's the thing though, shenmue was a 6+ year development project over two consoles and two games. it cost around $47 million. that's a lot of money, but you see absolutely every penny of it on-screen in shenmue, shenmue II, and even the shenmue saturn prototype. some of it was wasted on dumb things like doing the english V.O in japan, but look at the wealth of assets, music, motion capture, etc in the game.

the fact that he's budgeted down to the absolute minimum needed to make a sequel shows me that he knows what he's doing even under those constraints.

People on the kickstarter chat are freaking out, too much emotions in this kickstarter for some. People want that 10 million badly. Us pledging more wont get that we need new people pledging,

Yeah, still having a decent chance of being the highest earning gaming kickstarter of all time is really proving those publishers right.

There will be enough interest and coverage around launch that if Yu Suzuki can make a great game then it will sell.

How many copies though? Forget about the actual money, we have just under 50k backers. That's not an analog for copies sold but that's how many people wanted the game enough to spend ANY amount of money to support it. I think it's a tough sell to say that way more than that 50k will spend the price of the game to buy it.

Spaghetti

Not quite sure why i'm being criticized for "only" pledging $180. That is already not an insignificant amount of money to me.

Quite simply i'm not in a position where I can easily give $500. I would be willing to leave myself seriously short of money next month but not for 3 capsule toys.

There is no guarantee that my extra $320 will even make a difference atm. Better tiers and more momentum for the campaign will encourage everyone that they can reach their stretch goals and fulfill their promises.
hey don't worry about it

but here's something we all have to remember: no one pledge alone will make us reach those stretch goals. it's crowd funding, emphasis on the crowd part. we're all in this together.

master15

We need to encourage AJ or someone to put a video similar to this on the main page of the KS campaign.

Get new fans excited and pumped about prospect of a new Shenmue and give them a taste of what made originals special.

Spaghetti

How many copies though? Forget about the actual money, we have just under 50k backers. That's not an analog for copies sold but that's how many people wanted the game enough to spend ANY amount of money to support it. I think it's a tough sell to say that way more than that 50k will spend the price of the game to buy it.
i mean, we've had people in this thread who are shenmue fans who haven't/will not pledge towards the KS. not even the KS backer number is analogous to how many people will actually pick up shenmue 3.

at this point it's just folly to start predicting how this game will sell when it hasn't even gone into full development.

Moofers

here's the thing though, shenmue was a 6+ year development project over two consoles and two games. it cost around $47 million. that's a lot of money, but you see absolutely every penny of it on-screen in shenmue, shenmue II, and even the shenmue saturn prototype. some of it was wasted on dumb things like doing the english V.O in japan, but look at the wealth of assets, music, motion capture, etc in the game.

the fact that he's budgeted down to the absolute minimum needed to make a sequel shows me that he knows what he's doing even under those constraints.

Exactly. Let's not think that Yu didn't learn anything from those experiences. He's struggled to get his game made for over a decade. I think he is prepared to work on a smaller budget and the fact that 2M was reached in no time was a surprise so now he's starting to dream bigger. The original vision was for a 2M project. Let's be happy we've made that more than possible.

openrob

I did try demul, but speed was an issue (that was back when I had a Core2Quad Q6600). As it happens, the developer posted some screenshots ~11 days ago, so they are still working on it despite its last update being in 2013 (can't say the same for nullDC).

Not to mention my PC is considerably better now than it was back then, so I may give it another whirl with demul this time.

A shame nulldc is all but dead, however. I was hoping we'd have a Dreamcast emulator that is as amazing as Dolphin or PCSX2 by this point. At least the demul guys are keeping the torch lit!

One of the Admins from 500k group made a video on how to emulate Shenmue. Not sure how helpful it is/isn't

PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvNwi7Xu6I
Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUKpqM0iF8

Spaghetti

Exactly. Let's not think that Yu didn't learn anything from those experiences. He's struggled to get his game made for over a decade. I think he is prepared to work on a smaller budget and the fact that 2M was reached in no time was a surprise so now he's starting to dream bigger. The original vision was for a 2M project. Let's be happy we've made that more than possible.
here's something else as well:

we're not even halfway through the campaign

there's still a lot more info, pledges, and tiers to come.

J2 Cool

Yea yesterday only pulling in 10k is a bummer, but on the plus size today is already over 9k. So today will be better.

Good to see it moving again.

Writing out a list of what games to buy for which console when I get a next gen console..still haven't jumped in yet and play a friends Wii U and PS4 to get my fix. Surreal and giddy to write down Shenmue 3. What a weird feeling.

Honestly I don't see this getting to 10 million or even close. My guess is $5-$6 million max. Kickstarters tend to ramp up in the last week so we'll see.

Spaghetti

This ones really great, wonder how you get that footage captured. Obvious fliters on it, but the source footage is super clean. Really fun though.
shadowplay and demul/nulldc. that's how i've done it so far anyway. only problem i've had is aspect ratio of 4:3 and the letterboxing on shenmue II's cutscenes

baconcow

Not having played Shenmue 1 or 2, I am not sure I understand what those stretch goals are actually providing. Mini games, betting games, part time jobs, game stalls, and magic maze. Without more information (which the Kickstarter is severely lacking for someone like me), it is hard to determine how significant of an update they are. Especially given the quarter and half-million updates in stretch awards.

Does anyone have a brief overview of what these stretch goals are?

We need to encourage AJ or someone to put a video similar to this on the main page of the KS campaign.

Get new fans excited and pumped about prospect of a new Shenmue and give them a taste of what made originals special.

Digging through some old videos, I think this may be one of the greatest videos which seems to capture a lot of the essence of what makes me love the Shenmue games.

OH GOD! THE FEELS! ;_;

dailypledges.png

After the brief boost from the stream we have stalled. Down from 25K per day on average to 10K. They really need to inject some energy in to this campaign. PS4 physical version ASAP.

Not having played Shenmue 1 or 2, I am not sure I understand what those stretch goals are actually providing. Mini games, betting games, part time jobs, game stalls, and magic maze. Without more information (which the Kickstarter is severely lacking for someone like me), it is hard to determine how significant of an update they are. Especially given the quarter and half-million updates in stretch awards.

Shenmue's well known for having a large amount of things to waste your time with. Shenmue 1, for example, had an arcade with both mini-games and real arcade games. It also had pool, darts and a bunch of other things like that.

Shenmue 1 and 2 both also feature segments of the story that involve Ryo getting a part time job. It's actually part of its charm.

Magic maze seems kind of vague but if you're familiar with Shenmue's development it is actually very specific. When Shenmue was created, there was never really anything with that elaborate environments at the time. In his post-mortem, Yu said that the original design for the environments would have required the game to ship with over 50 discs. So, they developed a system called "Magic Maze" which you feed a random seed and a few parameters and it will develop a full-fledged interactive environment in which everything is intelligently placed.

Spaghetti

shenmue and shenmue II have lots of side distractions in the game world (gambling, games, and an arcade). not only that but in II you needed to make money and so there are a variety of part time jobs to take between learning kung fu and beating thugs up.

the magic maze is a technical term used for the generation of locations. that part isn't well explained but it's basically an expansion of the game world.

baconcow

Shenmue's well known for having a large amount of things to waste your time with. Shenmue 1, for example, had an arcade with both mini-games and real arcade games. It also had pool, darts and a bunch of other things like that.

Shenmue 1 and 2 both also feature segments of the story that involve Ryo getting a part time job. It's actually part of its charm.

Magic maze seems kind of vague but if you're familiar with Shenmue's development it is actually very specific. When Shenmue was created, there was never really anything with that elaborate environments at the time. In his post-mortem, Yu said that the original design for the environments would have required the game to ship with over 50 discs. So, they developed a system called "Magic Maze" which you feed a random seed and a few parameters and it will develop a full-fledged interactive environment in which everything is intelligently placed.

Interesting. Thanks for filling me in.

As far as Kickstarter funding, I think it would help provide a boost for them if the developers added more in-depth explanations about the goals. Not everyone will have a forum like this to rely on.

Also, thanks Spaghetti.

It actually isn't. We can look at game sales of Kickstarter funded games. I posted the example of Pillars of Eternity in here before. It had 74,000 backers. Since it's release in March it has sold over 400,000 copies. It has mostly sold for $44.99, too. Not saying Shenmue will 5.5x the amount of backers, but it should sale at least 250k, if we go by past trends.

baconcow

It actually isn't. We can look at game sales of Kickstarter funded games. I posted the example of Pillars of Eternity in here before. It had 74,000 backers. Since it's release in March it has sold over 400,000 copies. It has mostly sold for $44.99, too. Not saying Shenmue will 5.5x the amount of backers, but it should sale at least 250k, if we go by past trends.

I never even heard about Pillars of Eternity before it released on PC. And, I was a big Baldur's Gate II fan (owned the physical copies). I think this game will sell more than 50k.

mattp

dailypledges.png

After the brief boost from the stream we have stalled. Down from 25K per day on average to 10K. They really need to inject some energy in to this campaign. PS4 physical version ASAP.

honestly, i don't think stream did shit to boost pledges
it was just the new (limited) reward tiers

that boost would have happened with or without the stream

Spaghetti

we've beaten yesterday's today by over $2000 already with another 7 and a half hours left before kicktraq starts a new day. let's try and beat the backer number from yesterday too!

This is seriously happening? I don't get why people are giving you a hard time. I don't blame you if you can't afford it and incentives are what you need to justify giving more. I'm really shocked on how selfish some people in the Shenmue community are turning out to be. Like, seriously in disbelief.

Spaghetti

This is seriously happening? I don't get why people are giving you a hard time. I don't blame you if you can't afford it and incentives are what you need to justify giving more. I'm really shocked on how selfish some people in the Shenmue community are turning out to be. Like, seriously in disbelief.
you might want to read some other posts in reply to his. mine for instance.

one slightly pushy post does not a whole community make.

Do all Kickstarter threads have this amount of micro-analyzing scrutiny of how much money is added or taken away on an hourly basis lol? I've never participated in other Kickstarters so I'm genuinely curious.

Theonik

Do all Kickstarter threads have this amount of micro-analyzing scrutiny of how much money is added or taken away on an hourly basis lol? I've never participated in other Kickstarters so I'm genuinely curious.
Depends. Others aren't that slow. And well this project has brought out the crazy.

Probably nothing like this level of insanity. Tensions are just too high after the 14 year wait for this to be anything close to a normal Kickstarter.

Fularu

Banned
They now need 10 millions? This isn't happening.

They should have said as much from the start instead of begging at the end. The KS has barely gotten any funding in the past week

Guys. Shenmue 3 is happening. This Kickstarter is just a very small part of what the game will become in the next three years and a lot can change until then. Analysing the total every day will drive you crazy. Just focus on how much is added when big things happen, fluctuations are inevitable between big events and updates.

Spaghetti

They now need 10 millions? This isn't happening.

They should have said as much from the start instead of begging at the end. The KS has barely gotten any funding in the past week
this is what happens when people look at the gif at the start of the thread and literally nothing else

can we erase the $10 million figure from the next kickstarter thread?

Irvana

$4 million is easy. i would not be surprised if that is smashed by friday. $5 million and up it the goal. 6+ ideally.

Yeah, I agree, 4M$ is an easy objective, but 5M$ seems too much right now, we have to be realistic. Shenmue is a name, a mark mainly known by old players, that's a part of the problem. Other people and consumers can't be nostalgic like a former Dreamcast or XBox owner.

Theonik

this is what happens when people look at the gif at the start of the thread and literally nothing else

can we erase the $10 million figure from the next kickstarter thread?
Next Kickstarter thread is probably not happening. We need 10k more posts. Just remove it now. It creates needless confusion.
Edit: I vote to change it to 'Let's get to $10m'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom