• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

openrob

They now need 10 millions? This isn't happening.

They should have said as much from the start instead of begging at the end. The KS has barely gotten any funding in the past week

Mate - chill.
That is not how kickstarter works.
All kickstarters have things called stretch goals.

It means for X amount of money I can make this product. If I get more I will improve the product (but I don't need more). At these key figures these are what the improvements will look like.

This is what Shenmue has done as well.

For comparison here are a ew of the most successful video game stretch goals:
Bloodstained (minimum goal of $500,000 - raised about $5.5Million)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

Mighty No. 9 ($900,000 minimum - raised near $4Million)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/description

Yooka-Laylee (£175,000 minimum - raised over £2Million)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/description

N.A

Banned
Yeah, I agree, 4M$ is an easy objective, but 5M$ seems too much right now, we have to be realistic. Shenmue is a name, a mark mainly known by old players, that's a part of the problem. Other people and consumers can't be nostalgic like a former Dreamcast or XBox owner.

There will be at least $1 million pledged in the final 48 hours if this even slightly resembles other recent kickstarters. A realistic target is the $6 million stretch goal for the advanced free battle system.

AhYiGsP.jpg

MilkBeard

They now need 10 millions? This isn't happening.

They should have said as much from the start instead of begging at the end. The KS has barely gotten any funding in the past week

You are a little late to the party. Yu Suzuki talked about what he could do with 10 million during the Reddit AMA. They added stretch goals all the way up because people were begging for more to be added.

Irvana

There will be at least $1 million pledged in the final 48 hours if this even slightly resembles other recent kickstarters. A realistic target is the $6 million stretch goal for the advanced free battle system.

AhYiGsP.jpg

Aw, it's a very interesting graphic,

I ignored that Bloodstained performed so much.
Yeah, I see you are correct, Kickstarter project have a boost the 2 last days. But Bloodstained is a sort of unofficial Castlevania successor, a very well known serie, that every gamer knows about. It's sad but Shenmue isn't, that's why people who like Shenmue have to make a lot more good communication to hope a large and similar boost imho.

Ys Net has to show more artworks, pictures of the game to seduce consumers outside old Dreamcast/XBox gamers.

Irvana

A few more screens to wet the appetite

1276590_567034120000725_1282352335_o.jpg

SX7TjMs.jpg

OQlixHd.jpg

The first Shenmue games was so much inovative for its time.

I remember Ryo used same skills than Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter, another Yu Susuki game.
That would be nice if SEGA autorized Ys Net to keep Ryo's VF skills.

MouldyK

The Podcast Beyond (IGN's Sony Podcast) Facebook Page Reviews are in for the New Trailer:

Anthony Ethan-Wayne said:
Shenmue 3 has a new trailer, and Yu Suzuki asking for $6,000,000 more now lol.

Stephen MacNeil said:
Well I hope the game is more exciting than the trailers so far.

Justin Rodabaugh said:
That trailer is like virtual Nyquil. lol

Anthony Ethan-Wayne said:
I got like...absurdly unexcited all of a sudden lol

Jeremiah Weiner said:

Joshua M. Holt said:
I'm still excited for this project. I'm sad because we'll never see Bailu village. The kickstarter has totally stalled out.

Stephen MacNeil said:
It made me realize that if they're going for more of the same it won't fly today. It has to be more than nostalgia for this to be good. The first was groundbreaking but didn't age as well as big games at the time like Ocarina of Time. Now with open world games and sandboxes pushing things it needs to raise the bar at least from where it left us. If Witcher 3 can be made for $15-30 million then hopefully this can can even be 1/10 as good.

Moofers

The Podcast Beyond (IGN's Sony Podcast) Facebook Page Reviews are in for the New Trailer:
Wouldn't put much stock into the negativity. It's Facebook comments. We gonna start quoting YouTube comments next?

Btw, I wasn't aware a new trailer was on the KS page. Looks like Yu and AJ listened to us on that one. I'll have to watch it later.

Wouldn't put much stock into the negativity. It's Facebook comments. We gonna start quoting YouTube comments next?

Btw, I wasn't aware a new trailer was on the KS page. Looks like Yu and AJ listened to us on that one. I'll have to watch it later.

It's not a new trailer and not sure why it's labelled as such. The same one from the start is still on the page. The video they've labelled as a new trailer is simply the video update they did describing the locations a little.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Those YouTube comments... I'm starting to think that this generation of gamers doesn't deserve another Shenmue. Does every video about games have to be rapid fire edits in order to be worth watching?

MaxiLive

Guys and gals I just completed Shenmue 1 again for the first time in years. Dem feels ;_;

Ryo why don't you show any emotion to Nozomi!!! Fantastic ending though with lots of action, difficulty and story closures. Also the music and cinematography for the ending just made it perfect :D

s_mirage

pledge trolls probably. a bit of up and down isn't uncommon but we lost about $3000 in rapid succession so it was obviously an orchestrated attack on the campaign.

Worryingly, unless I'm imagining things, Kicktraq has today's totals down nearly $1000 further to under 10K. I don't usually follow projects this closely so I don't know if it's the norm, but is something new spooking backers today?

Worryingly, unless I'm imagining things, Kicktraq has today's totals down nearly $1000 further to under 10K. I don't usually follow projects this closely so I don't know if it's the norm, but is something new spooking backers today?

The campaign stalling so ridiculously is a worrying trend. I've had the tab open all day and funding has been locked at $3,757,XXX for hours now. Since I woke up earlier today I think? It has been several hours of this now. Funding did briefly hit $3,760,000 but that must have been pledge trolls because it lost 3K quite rapidly after that remaining in the same position without shifting upwards again. I think maybe they needed a stronger update today than just a stream recap and new interview. They need that physical PS4 edition desperately (by the end of the week hopefully?) and they need unlimited new tiers in the higher ranges. I'll be keeping an eye on this regardless but it's looking like it's going to be a slow crawl up to 4 million as it stands.

Then we have to rely on the last minute funding rush to push us to 5 million. It's looking like 5 million at best as of now. We're going to need a miracle to make it to 6.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So, let's say nothing new happens for the rest of the campaign. No physical PS4 copies. No new tiers. Just a few updates, maybe a stream or two that turn out just as bad as the one from last Friday. What could we expect then, funding wise?

So, let's say nothing new happens for the rest of the campaign. No physical PS4 copies. No new tiers. Just a few updates, maybe a stream or two that turn out just as bad as the one from last Friday. What could we expect then, funding wise?

Good question. On track to reach 4 million leading in to the campaign's final three or so days then we're reliant upon the last minute pledge rush which should amount to 1 million or so though that is a conservative estimate. If the fans rally in the campaign's final days it could be more. So 4 million until the end then another million at the end would be the most realistic forecast at the moment. It's on track to reach a comfortable 5 million. So Yu Suzuki's primary goal though not his secondary one (10 million). That is however if nothing changes for the remainder of the campaign as per the conditions of your post. There's a colourful graphic forecast somewhere earlier on in the thread. If we follow that forecast it's still on track to reach 5 million.

We won't hit 4.

Last minute pledge rush dude which has happened to every high-profile video game Kickstarter that has ever existed. Anyone who clicked "Remind me" on the Kickstarter page will get sent reminder emails 48 hours before the end of the campaign. Then you have the increased press attention at the time, the slacker backers and so on. A million in the campaign's final days is almost a certainty. 1.5 million wouldn't be out of the question. So even if the campaign crawls to say 3.8 or 3.9 million the final pledge rush will jack it up to 5 million or more.

The campaign stalling so ridiculously is a worrying trend. I've had the tab open all day and funding has been locked at $3,757,XXX for hours now. Since I woke up earlier today I think? It has been several hours of this now. Funding did briefly hit $3,760,000 but that must have been pledge trolls because it lost 3K quite rapidly after that remaining in the same position without shifting upwards again. I think maybe they needed a stronger update today than just a stream recap and new interview. They need that physical PS4 edition desperately (by the end of the week hopefully?) and they need unlimited new tiers in the higher ranges. I'll be keeping an eye on this regardless but it's looking like it's going to be a slow crawl up to 4 million as it stands.

Then we have to rely on the last minute funding rush to push us to 5 million. It's looking like 5 million at best as of now. We're going to need a miracle to make it to 6.

A stronger update and physical PS4 edition are the only things that can take this to $10 million. Hash-tags and Reddit trends are a dead end at this point.

I don't think unlimited high price tiers are a solution. The reason those tiers worked so well is because they're limited. Even if the dinner with Yu Suzuki were unlimited I don't think it would work because it would dilute the exclusivity and depreciate the price, it won't be as special anymore.

Erevador

My goal has always been the same: to reach 5.6 million and become the most funded Kickstarter game.

I think that is a victory Shenmue fans need and deserve, and I think it is within our reach.

My goal has always been the same: to reach 5.6 million and become the most funded Kickstarter game.

I think that is a victory Shenmue fans need and deserve, and I think it is within our reach.

Entirely possible and quite probable. All depends on the last minute pledge boost. A surge of 1.5 million in the final days would see it smash that goal.

Erevador

Entirely possible and quite probable. All depends on the last minute pledge boost. A surge of 1.5 million in the final days would see it smash that goal.
I agree, and that's what I'm really hoping for.

Smashing Kickstarter records and being the most funded game on the platform would be the ideal way to launch the return of this franchise. It becomes impossible spin the Kickstarter as anything other than a success.

It is the perfect high note on which to re-launch a series that has had such a tragic history.

danwarb

We'll get it, but I really do doubt that a PS4 box would make any difference, other than having some people switch from PC to PS4 for their physical copy choice.

It should beat $5m, even if not much else happens, but things will keep happening.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is one of the most poorly run Kickstarters I've backed. Everyone else promoted and gave meaningful updates regularly. I want to see it do well but I'm not surprised funding has slowed down so much.

AHA-Lambda

This is one of the most poorly run Kickstarters I've backed. Everyone else promoted and gave meaningful updates regularly. I want to see it do well but I'm not surprised funding has slowed down so much.

I've never played Shemue before but I was definitely intrigued by the series and this announcement, and so I did pledge.

But this is simply the most mismanaged high profile kickstarter I can think of. I just can't back this in good faith right now.

Moofers

We got two updates over the weekend and they are working on getting other things into motion that only Yu can handle. I think it's time to give AJ a little breathing room so they can get in a week of good work and turn their image problem around.

Erevador

I've never played Shemue before but I was definitely intrigued by the series and this announcement, and so I did pledge.

But this is simply the most mismanaged high profile kickstarter I can think of. I just can't back this in good faith right now.
I can't follow this thinking.

The game is going to be amazing. Yu Suzuki has made as many classics as anyone in gaming.

I'm not pleased with the marketing campaign of the Kickstarter guys (which is like 3 noobs), but Suzuki has a ton of pros who worked on the original Shenmue games making this game.

The game will be fantastic.

Moofers

I can't follow this thinking.

The game is going to be amazing. Yu Suzuki has made as many classics as anyone in gaming.

I'm not pleased with the marketing campaign of the Kickstarter guys (which is like 3 noobs), but Suzuki has a ton of pros who worked on the original Shenmue games making this game.

The game will be fantastic.

Yes, thanks. People need to remember that Awesome Japan isn't making the game here, they're just managing a mediocre KS campaign. But let's give them time to turn it around now. Two weekend updates and what sounds to me like acknowledgement that people are pretty underwhelmed with their efforts. Let's all give them time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom