• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaintDeftone

So people are totally OK with this being funded via Kickstarter? Fascinating.
Sitting there in the theater, I was happy to see the game return, but at the same time I was uncomfortable with the idea of a Kickstarter at Sony's presentation.

So we, the game players, should take on the risk of funding a game because publishers don't want to? How far does this go?

Fans are basically pulling together to help fund a game they've been begging for in order for it to exist. I see nothing wrong with this.

eso76

First thing they should do is spend part of that money on a decent video and a decent homepage and make the kickstarter page more appealing.

That stuff surely discouraged lots of potential pledgers. makes you doubt Suzuki knows what he's doing.

Baalzebup

Well obviously, but is that mentality healthy for the business? Is it right for Sony to stand up there on stage touting the Kickstarter? What exactly are they taking credit for?

Nothing? They took advantage of their spotlight to bring attention to the kickstarter, but Boyes specifically pointed out that this is not their puppy but they want to promote it anyway. They basically just advertised the game. Where on Earth do you see Sony taking credit for anything at this point? You know, beside bringing attention to the project?

And healthy? Yes, from the company's standpoint it is very healthy so see if the people clamoring after more Shenmue are actually willing to put their money where their mouths are, seeing as the project will indeed have costs and they want to make a profit, and from the fans standpoint, this is a way for them to help make their desires become reality.

First thing they should do is spend part of that money on a decent video and a decent homepage and make the kickstarter page more appealing.

That stuff surely discouraged lots of potential pledgers. makes you doubt Suzuki knows what he's doing.

Yeah, that video sure is keeping it from reaching it's goal.

You take issue with Shenmue III being on kickstarter but you've backed many other things? What?

Actually, I don't take issue with it being on Kickstarter at all. If it had been a completely independent project, I would have been behind it immediately. Sony's nebulous involvement is what turned me off. Seems like cashing in without having to do a heck of a lot themselves to support the project.

If they came right out and said that it was a situation similar to Bloodstained, that would be nice.

If 2 millions are all that was needed to fund Shenmue III, I'm 100% certain that someone would have funded this already. Sony must be footing a much larger bill, because I assume even some Vita 1st party titles were more expensive than this.

But I don't think we'll ever know.

Mendax

100k a language still seems high

there are going to be hundreds of hours worth of subtitling, again for translating and again for quality control / language checks. I dont think its an unrealistic amount of money tbh

Fans are basically pulling together to help fund a game they've been begging for in order for it to exist. I see nothing wrong with this.

there IS nothing wrong with this. Yet we somewhere have a thread full of people claiming sony is being unethical and wrong. boggles the mind.

Aenima

Well obviously, but is that mentality healthy for the business? Is it right for Sony to stand up there on stage touting the Kickstarter? What exactly are they taking credit for?

In a old interview, Yu Suzuki told that to make a Shenmue game its needed around 45 Millions. You think Sony was there to look pretty? 2M is nothing, they probably using the 2 Million to give green card for Sony to invest the rest of the money, and to test the interest of the public in this game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I recall Adam Boyes saying that they wanted to celebrate the announcement of this new game.

Consider this, do you think this Kickstarter would be as successful if they hadn't done this? Do you think people won't call out publishers if this become a common practice?

Erevador

there IS nothing wrong with this. Yet we somewhere have a thread full of people claiming sony is being unethical and wrong. boggles the mind.
With these things, especially around E3, it seems like those people always show up for a few days REGARDLESS of the project, to bring a lot of negativity and some kind of vague "concern" about business practices or something.

Within a few days they usually desert the thread to look for greener drama, but its annoying nonetheless.

Actually, I don't take issue with it being on Kickstarter at all. If it had been a completely independent project, I would have been behind it immediately. Sony's nebulous involvement is what turned me off. Seems like cashing in without having to do a heck of a lot themselves to support the project.

If they came right out and said that it was a situation similar to Bloodstained, that would be nice.

I have a feeling Sony helped in the same way they did with Grim Fandango. E.g.: Helping negociate with the IP owner.

And we really don't know if Sony will fund part of it or not.

Well, at this point it's not like it matters. It's a done deal.

I probably won't back this like I've backed many other things though. First because I don't need to, but second because I can't play it on whatever platform I choose, be it the Vita, the Wii-U, or whatever.

Just like Project Cars got funded for Wii U. How did that work out?

I'm guessing if this was coming to Xbox One, there wouldn't be so many people trying to find ways to complain that this is some kind of scandal.

Just let the salt and bitterness die down over the next few days and then we can get to having discussions about what would be nice to see in the game.

In a old interview, Yu Suzuki told that to make a Shenmue game its needed around 45 Millions. You think Sony was there to look pretty? 2M is nothing, they probably using the 2 Million to give green card for Sony to invest the rest of the money, and to test the interest of the public in this game.

There needs to be some kind of function where posting on a Shenmue thread forces you to read Krejlooc's post about the budget.

This one
No, project Berkeley in its entirely, 4 games across two systems, cost $47 million

and that cover the cost of creating two engines + 2 entire tool set

BibiMaghoo

I wonder if Sony are matching the Kickstarter figure as a way of contributing fairly. Match whatever fans are willing to pay in return for console exclusivity. That would seem pretty reasonable.

So we, the game players, should take on the risk of funding a game because publishers don't want to? How far does this go?

As far as the people who are giving their money wants. When it's too far, they won't get the funds.
It's that easy.

People have funded smart watches.

People have funded books.

People have funded music albums. Documentaries. VR Head Mounted Diplays. Other video games, some known, some unknown.

Shenmue is what, a step too far in this?
It's just the same.

lol, "nebulous involvement".

You make it sound like some shady scheme deployed to fund games for less on Sonys part

The announcement is not even 24hrs old, more info will unfold.

So what? If we don't get the game funded, then the game doesn't get made if publishers don't want to. Kickstarter is the perfect way of putting your money where your mouth is and actually showing publishers these games are wanted.

Maybe OP could add in what the $2 million does for this since it seems that some people have a hard time reading the first few pages of the thread and instead go straight to the reply button...

At last. I think the games are WAY overrated but it will be nice to finish the story.

A bit sad that Sony use it for 'brownie points' but then it's a Kickstarter campaign lol.

Instro

Right, now Skies of Arcadia 2 please.
Lets go. My wallet is ready.

Alright if we start bitching campaigning now, we can probably get that and a new Chrono game within the next 10 years.

Such an neat E3. This, FF7, TLG, Nier, etc. I feel like anything might be possible again...not really but it's fun.

toneroni

So what? If we don't get the game funded, then the game doesn't get made if publishers don't want to. Kickstarter is the perfect way of putting your money where your mouth is and actually showing publishers these games are wanted.
Yep, seems like a win win.
Fans can support games that would otherwise be dead in the water and the pubs don't risk much. Kickstarter gets a nice cut also.

Riposte

At last. I think the games are WAY overrated but it will be nice to finish the story.

A bit sad that Sony use it for 'brownie points' but then it's a Kickstarter campaign lol.

They can't finish the story until they shrink it or make even more games lol.

I hope this goes on to hit 10 mil. I won't bother donating until it reaches around that much.

Yeah, I don't get the complaints or confusion of the language goals. Sure they may be odd and not necessarily something every player will want, but they're basically just there to carry the campaign past $3M. Call them "filler" goals if you like but they're low on the scale and once they're out the way the actual game content goals begin.

Darknight

Well, at this point it's not like it matters. It's a done deal.

I probably won't back this like I've backed many other things though. First because I don't need to, but second because I can't play it on whatever platform I choose, be it the Vita, the Wii-U, or whatever.

Hey why Didnt PS2 players get to play Shenmue 1+2? Why werent those games released for Gamecube?

The only reason its being made its because its partially funded by Sony. If MS did that, it would of been Xbone/PC only. If Nintendo, same.

No fund from one of the 3 = no Shenmue 3. If you are a die hard Shenmue fan, it doesnt matter where it comes out. Sounds like system wars to me. At least use your PC or build one if you chose to remain neutral in the 'wars'.

Empty

dream stretch goals: yu suzuki comes up with 4 original arcade games in the style of his classics to put in the in-game arcade

Yep, seems like a win win.
Fans can support games that would otherwise be dead in the water and the pubs don't risk much. Kickstarter gets a nice cut also.
Plus it's not like fans aren't getting nothing from doing this. You're at least getting the game at a discount before it releases.

Krejlooc

Banned
I wish we could fund shenmue again just to fuck the haters.

Actually, it looks like precisely that might happen within the next few days. Getting close to $3m...

Huh? Its a game coming to PS4 and has been top of the list of requests people have made to Sony for games they want to see. If this was an X1/PC title you don't think MS would want to announce it during their conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom