• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofers

I know the footage is a quick something just to raise backer funds, but boy does it look rough! They still managed to get $100 out of me on nostalgia alone. I really hope Yu knows what he is doing after 14 years.

I agree about the footage. I don't care though. He may have done that in his basement for all we know. This is our chance to make Shenmue 3 not only real but amazing and I'm all in!

Just backed it. Can't wait to see them reveal stretch goals. I hope he was taking notes during Bloodstained's run because they did it up so perfectly!

Bloodstained put up goals for Wii U and Vita versions, so its possible a physical PS4 edition could be a goal, yes?

wcw

Neo Member
Why the fuck does this need a kickstarter? Why doesn't Sony just pay the full budget? This just seems like a cheeky way for Sony to get a discount on making the game. Why the hell should I have to pre-pay for a game that has the backing of Sony?

It really just makes no sense and is setting a bad example for the future as I think big studios will see this as a chance to get free money and discounted development costs.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm sure a physical PS4 version will be added as a stretch goal.

If this happens I hope they let me change to PS4 physical for my signed edition.

Why the fuck does this need a kickstarter? Why doesn't Sony just pay the full budget? This just seems like a cheeky way for Sony to get a discount on making the game. Why the hell should I have to pre-pay for a game that has the backing of Sony?

It really just makes no sense and is setting a bad example for the future as I think big studios will see this as a chance to get free money and discounted development costs.

Then don't?

GavinGT

Banned

Sony backing is not confirmed at this point.

1) Adam Boyes: "This is very much their project, but we wanted to celebrate their announcement on our stage...."

2) Sony isn't listed on the screen at the end of the Kickstarter video. You'd think they'd be listed under "Supported by" if they were funding it.

3)
Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?
Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Google

This is quite a bit like when, years after his death, they released nirvana's lost hit "you know you're right" and it instantly shot up the charts.

What the fuck are you people talking about?

No one's dead. Suzuki (for better or worse) made some bad business choices with his colleagues at Sega and had to wait for his chance to get back on the big stage. This is what happens when you lose millions of dollars incorrectly forecasting your video game business.

Shenmue was sega's biggest saturn project, it was going to be the system defining game, their top budget project. They scrapped it, and redid everything they had done before again on the dreamcast. For two entire generations, it was sega's biggest project.

It didnt tank, but it would have had to have sold more copies than dreamcasts existed to recoup its cost

The top at sega blamed their downfall on yu suzuki. He got window seated and wasnt allowed to really work on anything for the next 14 years.

Yesterday, he came back.

As a gigantic Sega (especially Saturn and DC) fan, this is super sad. Happy this is happening now, but it's unfortunate how he was treated for so long.

N.A

Banned
I guess "rapport system" means NPCs will like/hate you more depending on your dialog choices?

Yu Suzuki did an interview a few years ago saying the focus of the thid game was the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua and there would be dialog options and other ways to build the relationship. I guess it ties into that,

ee0O8w6.jpg

My evening is sorted...

cclittle

Neo Member
What the fuck are you people talking about?

No one's dead. Suzuki (for better or worse) made some bad business choices with his colleagues at Sega and had to wait for his chance to get back on the big stage. This is what happens when you lose millions of dollars incorrectly forecasting your video game business.

I realize no one actually died. But it damn well felt like Shenmue had been dead for a while.

chrono01

From the FAQ:

Will there be a physical copy reward for PS4?

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network.

Ugh. No physical PS4 version at all? I might decrease my pledge from $300 to $29 after all, as a physical PC version doesn't interest me. :/

lmao @ the ebay prices for Xbox Shenmue 2.

£100+

lol

Guess I'll just have to work out a way to hook my Dreamcast up to my TV and play my DC copies instead. *scratches head*

Google

I realize no one actually died. But it damn well felt like Shenmue had been dead for a while.

Despite both Shenmue online and Shenmue city not getting enough traction to actually do anything in the past decade?

It's not been dead - it's just not been good enough to get anywhere - especially when you compare it the Yakuza franchise.

Are there any good Let's Plays of Shenmue 1 and 2? I'd like to play them myself, but it'd be a little difficult to get ahold of them.

Matt from Two Best Friends Play said hes interested in a Shemue 2 LP if the fans are
and were hella interested
Nier might also happen since Liams gone batshit insane it seems

Despite both Shenmue online and Shenmue city not getting enough traction to actually do anything in the past decade?

It's not been dead - it's just not been good enough to get anywhere - especially when you compare it the Yakuza franchise.

If nothing else it's been poorly managed. North America is almost certainly the strongest market for this series and neither of those games were even considered for release here.

FaintDeftone

Does anyone know of any sources or articles on this whole Yu Suzuki/Sega downfall story that people are talking about? I'm extremely curious about it.

blazeuk

I really want to pledge $300 but the no physical copy on PS4 is slightly annoying, i might go with $100 and hope that in a few years when it finally gets released there'll be a much better collectors edition.

I'm a bit annoyed that there's no Shenmue video featured on Playstation's Youtube channel. You've got FFVII on there with over three million views, TLG approaching one million... where's Shenmue?! Can't they just upload that video that appeared during the conference of Yu talking about the Kickstarter project? I know it's already met its goal, but a little more exposure wouldn't hurt the cause.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Does the $300 version also come with a digital PS4 code? I'm confused.

If you pick PS4 digital. But the one lower tier states that you can only get the PS4 code OR a PC physical copy. You don't get both.

I have to say, as someone kickstarting a ton of games and VNs the past year or so, this is really disappointing. Most will give you both. It's why I'm indecisive of how much to pledge (did just $5 for now) just in case they do decide to add more stuff. The add ones aren't quite what I was expecting. I really enjoyed how Bloodstained handled their goodies and stretch goals.

Rymuth

Really wish some of the higher tiers were more...interactive. Like designing an NPC or a technique.

But I guess Yu wants to play "No! Mine! Keep away!" with his baby.

But I guess Yu wants to play "No! Mine! Keep away!" with his baby.

To be fair, I'd say that is what the majority of fans want. I'm a little thankful lol, since if they had, say, "be in the game" as a character's design and/or voice for $5,000, I would probably sell my entire game collection to afford it!

However, I wouldn't mind them adding more limited items and stretch goals as enticements. In reality, I'd love to see more stretch goals (and ones that are realistic and won't eventually add length to the development time).

eso76

So, 10 or 12 years ago, long before Kickstarter was born (at least i think so?) i was wondering on this very forum if having fans partially fund Shenmue 3 would be feasible, through some sort of very early preorder.
Purchase copies of the game in advance, so that Sega isn't afraid of losing their money.
A very basic kickstarter in fact, as proof people still loved the game.

What i'm trying to tell you guys, is I INVENTED Kickstarter and Shenmue inspired me.

Well, how about that ? Was it a good idea or not ??? HAH

Ok, don't mind me. Go on with the celebrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom