• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony support the Oculus Rift or do their own thing?

I don't think Sony should touch it. Sony (and others) couldn't even convince people to wear 3D glasses for 3D TV content.

They will probably take their recent experience with that and not touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Piggus

It's rendering two images at 960x1080. I'd imagine that this is more taxing than a single 1080p scene being rendered, but I can't say that I've ever seen any data to support that.

It is, but obviously not nearly demanding as running two full 1080p images.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody should support the Rift. It's a joke and an embarrassment to the industry. This garbage never works off and is a flash in the pan.

In a related way, Sony needs to avoid the same bullshit like the plague.

Wow.

sono

In regard to Rift everyone seems to be talking about it like its already proven in the market. While it has had a few people give good reviews, can the general public buy this for PC yet ?

Of course Sony are known for supporting innovation, but even 3D hasnt become popular, this seems to be because people dont want to wear glasses in their living room and the effect is only seen on certain handful of games.

Therefore I am not sure about wearing a more complex device on their head.as to how far away from popular market that is..

vpance

For Sony's VR headset they should use the screen they're using with the Xperia Z. Or maybe the Ultra? 6.4" might be overkill though. Apparently the new Oculus will use a 5.5" screen.

kinggroin

Banned
If Sony had some standardized support for Oculud Rift libraries that can be hooked into, I'd personally bring our game over to the system with full support.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nobody should support the Rift. It's a joke and an embarrassment to the industry. This garbage never works off and is a flash in the pan.

Hehehe. I wonder if you're going to remember this post a few years from now when you'll be playing your games in VR.

Or maybe you'll be a diehard and just stop playing games once the majority start transitioning to VR as the primary platform.

I can actually see Nintendo going full-on VR in their next console, I expect Sony and Microsoft will definitely allow for developers to provide support.

Nintendo still likes people playing together. I can't think of a more solo experience than a VR device. Even if you have four devices.

Sciz

The Rift already has all of the public goodwill and mindshare. It'd be a hell of a lot less risky for Sony to jump on the bandwagon and encourage developers to support it as a unique selling point than it would be to produce and push their own proprietary version.

My, you're a cheerful one.

Sendou

Nintendo still likes people playing together. I can't think of a more solo experience than a VR device. Even if you have four devices.

Well they did make the GamePad. No doubt that VR device would be even more invidual experience but I'm sure that Nintendo doesn't really care all that much about ideals if they see an opening.

vivftp

Thats a horrible idea..

Care to elaborate on why you feel it's such a bad idea for Sony to buy out Oculus? I'm not saying it's the best course of action, but I'm curious to know why you feel it's such a bad idea.

Gamescom is going to be interesting.

My good sir, please fill us in if you know something :)

I don't think Sony should touch it. Sony (and others) couldn't even convince people to wear 3D glasses for 3D TV content.

They will probably take their recent experience with that and not touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Sony are still making 3D TVs and even include them with the sets now. My new 50" set came with 4 pairs of passive glasses. I think the reason you don't hear Sony talk about 3D as much is because it's just expected to be there now, rather than a brand new feature to be talked about.

Eventually companies will come out with a 3D solution that doesn't require glasses. Toshiba already has such a set out, but from what I've read it's pretty "meh". Either way, 3D in general isn't going away anytime soon.

Also, why wouldn't Sony touch this? I mean, they already make headmount displays so it's not like this is new ground for them. They've seen the support behind the Rift so they know there's some sort of market out there for such a device. It's just a matter of deciding whether it's better to partner up with Oculus and their device, or try to make a better one where they enjoy all the profits.

For Sony's VR headset they should use the screen they're using with the Xperia Z. Or maybe the Ultra? 6.4" might be overkill though. Apparently the new Oculus will use a 5.5" screen.

The one used in the upcoming flagship codename Honami would probably be the best one to go with in terms of image quality and pixel density. A 5" 1080p display has a pixel density of abou 440 ppi, whereas the 6.4" 1080p display has a pixel density of just 342 ppi. The 6.4" ppi is more than enough for phone use, but on something like a virtual reality headset that pixel density really counts for eliminating the screen door effect and making the image seem more real.

That's what I'm saying. Couldn't they just scale back the eye candy to PS2/GC levels to achieve the 1080p/60fps. This would be acceptable to me, especially if they had hi-res textures.

Of course they can. And anyone telling you different is normally from the PC elitist camp and don't want console peasants in their VR playground. If a developer was making a VR game to be played on the PS4,they would do what developers have always done. Target the appropriate frame rate and develop towards and around that goal.

There are a few games on PSN now that would be a Perfect for the Oculus Rift.

The Unfinished Swan
Q6RpW6P.jpg

Datura

Atomski

Care to elaborate on why you feel it's such a bad idea for Sony to buy out Oculus? I'm not saying it's the best course of action, but I'm curious to know why you feel it's such a bad idea.

Because saying Sony should buy out the company just sounds like console fanboy bullshit.

the creators of the Oculus Rift love PC gaming and the openness of the platform. Look at people bringin old franchises and such to the device thanks to modding, thats something that just won't happen on consoles.

If anything supporting Oculus Rift on their device would be cool.. but if Sony bought them to make it exclusive that would honestly just be a shame. Games with support would be limited and Im sure they would overprice the device like their own HMD.

But anyways Im not worried about it, like I said the guys clearly have a passion for PC and Valve has shown a lot of interest. If anything PC/Steambox sounds like a sure bet to me.

Would console developers really hold back their game graphics just to support the Rift? I really doubt it. It's probably not worth it this generation.

Top Bottom