• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Treasure's Trove $12 USD on Mexican eShop

Kikorin

Doing so will unlink your NNID if you have one linked though I suppose you can just relink it after.

accounts.nintendo.com

Yes you can. I went to accounts.nintendo.com and changed my country of origin to Mexico, then accessed the eShop on my Switch. After I bought Shovel Knight and started the download, I changed my country of origin back to the US. I can access everything.

Wow thanks, seems easy.

busch03

Neo Member
Mine does not show up in my US redownload list. But I can confirm u can access the plague and specter campaigns while signed into my US acct.

gogogow

Mine does not show up in my US redownload list. But I can confirm u can access the plague and specter campaigns while signed into my US acct.

Isn't that because you have it on your system?
I'm from Europe, but bought BotW from the US store and the game isn't listed in either of the download lists. But when I go into the EU eShop it says I bought the game.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I didn't want to start a new topic.

Treasure Trove includes Spector of Torment, correct? There's no reason to buy both? That seems to be the case, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Treasure Trove includes Spector of Torment, correct? There's no reason to buy both? That seems to be the case, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
Yeah. Treasure Trove is the whole package.

Yep, Treasure Trove includes all 3 campaigns (The original, Plague of Shadow and Specter of Torment)

Cody_D165

Banned
Yes you can. I went to accounts.nintendo.com and changed my country of origin to Mexico, then accessed the eShop on my Switch. After I bought Shovel Knight and started the download, I changed my country of origin back to the US. I can access everything.

I just tried to do this and it claims it will delink my Nintendo Network ID from my Nintendo Account if I proceed.

Would really rather not make a separate account for a single game and I have other ways to play Shovel Knight so I'll pass for now

The Rizza

I'm really slow at this what steps do I need to grab this for $12 on my Us. Switch.

1. Go to accounts.nintendo.com

2. Change your user profile location to Mexico

3. Go to the eShop. Everything should be in pesos now and Shovel Knight should cost MX225.99

4. Purchase! (I think you need a visa or mastercard, not sure on the specifics of that, and there might be a international fee depending on what kind of card you have)

5. Go back to your nintendo account and change your region back to what you originally had and...

6. The game should boot up on your original account just fine!

MANUELF

Banned
The original Shovel Knight was also cheaper in México but I swear to break all your switches if the prices increase

3. Go to the eShop. Everything should be in pesos now and Shovel Knight should cost MX225.99

4. Purchase! (I think you need a visa or mastercard, not sure on the specifics of that, and there might be a international fee depending on what kind of card you have)

5. Go back to your nintendo account and change your region back to what you originally had and...

Did it! Thank you!!

It does de-link the NNID but you can re-link after you put it back to USA.

I just did it

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Had no intention of buying this but yeah, i did thanks to the price. Thanks OP!

Just going off the pic in the OP, it's definitely a pricing error. The rest are priced normally.

How are publishers happy with this? They're getting screwed.

I believe publisher sets the price. It's the same price as it is on steam. I think this might be some kind of strategy by Yacht Club

The original Shovel Knight was also cheaper in México but I swear to break all your switches if the prices increase

Relax dude. I could see this happening if all games were cheaper, but it seems to be only one so far.

Cody_D165

Banned
Did it! Thank you!!

It does de-link the NNID but you can re-link after you put it back to USA.

I just did it

Oh, so relinking the NNID works? I might have to try this then.

I just would hate to be screwed out of any potential benefits for my past purchases by trying to buy one game at a cheaper price.

Can I add US funds on the American eshop and have them transfer over if I login to the Mexican one?

Oh, so relinking the NNID works? I might have to try this then.

I just would hate to be screwed out of any potential benefits for my past purchases by trying to buy one game at a cheaper price.

Can I add US funds on the American eshop and have them transfer over if I login to the Mexican one?

I was able to re link it no problem.

I have no idea about the funds thing. I used a Visa card.

This region-free feature is nice on the Switch, but it seems weird that we can manipulate prices by doing this. I already bought Shovel Knight on Wii U and the Shovel Knight Amiibo, so Yacht Club Games has gotten a fair amount of money from me as is, but I still feel a little weird doing this.

Zafir

Someone before said this could delete your credit in your previous region, is that true?

gkryhewy

I had to create a new Mexico account for this since my US acccount had eshop funds in it- accounts.nintendo.com told me that I had to spend it out before changing my country of origin.

My Chase Visa worked fine for purchase under the new account, and I bought the game, but now I have both accounts showing on the system home menu, forever I suppose (removing the Mexican account prevents me from playing the game).

So just be aware of that if extra screen clutter would bother you.

Someone before said this could delete your credit in your previous region, is that true?

No, Nintendo won't even let you switch the region of your account until you use up your existing eShop credit in the region it is currently set to. So for me, I had to buy Snipperclips to use the $3 credit I had left from linking my NNID. After I used it up and had a zero balance, I was able to change to the Mexico region to buy Shovel Knight, then change back to U.S. afterwards.

I had to create a new Mexico account for this since my US acccount had eshop funds in it- accounts.nintendo.com told me that I had to spend it out before changing my country of origin.

My Chase Visa worked fine for purchase under the new account, and I bought the game, but now I have both accounts showing on the system home menu, forever I suppose (removing the Mexican account prevents me from playing the game).

So just be aware of that if extra screen clutter would bother you.

Whew. Really glad I just spent my eShop balance to allow my to change my region. I have zero interest in having multiple accounts open with Nintendo or associated with my Switch.

Zafir

Doesn't work with either of my UK Visa or UK Mastercard. Even tried an entropay card I sometimes used to buy from Amazon US.

Guess it might be America only.

Wow this was abnormally easy considering it's Nintendo.

Absolutely NO way they don't find a way to stop this, hopefully that doesn't mean they get sour about region free.

Neat that consumer gets to use the free market :) Thanks for the heads up!

I'll have to try this later! Is this a discount or just a factor of the exchange rate?

Not really an exchange rate thing, as other titles are actually more expensive in Mexico than they are in the U.S. Essentially it's just an issue of Yacht Club Games/Nintendo setting a price for the Mexican market that's significantly cheaper than other places. Video games don't follow the supply/demand market economics exactly, they're generally priced based on what the market will bear. Apparently the Mexican market needs a cheaper price for this type of game to make it sell? I don't know.

CrayToes

So if I was to get another switch down the line, games bought from other regions wouldn't be tied to my account? I wouldn't be able to redownload them I'm guessing.

I think people having issues with their credit cards might be due to their bank blocking foreign transactions.

Try calling your bank

Not really an exchange rate thing, as other titles are actually more expensive in Mexico than they are in the U.S. Essentially it's just an issue of Yacht Club Games/Nintendo setting a price for the Mexican market that's significantly cheaper than other places. Video games don't follow the supply/demand market economics exactly, they're generally priced based on what the market will bear. Apparently the Mexican market needs a cheaper price for this type of game to make it sell? I don't know.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Like how Splatoon was $20 cheaper in the EU when it launched. Thanks for the info! If that's the case, we might see this happen for more games unless Nintendo begins to force developers to charge the same price across all regions.

Top Bottom